Lleyton ready for charge at Federer [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Lleyton ready for charge at Federer

ReturnWinner
01-01-2006, 07:49 PM
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,17708382%255E2722,00.html

star
01-01-2006, 07:56 PM
:yeah:

ExpectedWinner
01-01-2006, 08:48 PM
Why can't majority of tennis players learn one simple thing- first, do something and then talk about it.

Deboogle!.
01-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Why can't majority of tennis players learn one simple thing- first, do something and then talk about it.Well in this case, someone else said it for him, Lleyton can't do much about that lol

ExpectedWinner
01-01-2006, 08:50 PM
Well in this case, someone else said it for him, Lleyton can't do much about that lol

I remember Woodforde was a tennis player once.

sigmagirl91
01-01-2006, 08:52 PM
Why can't majority of tennis players learn one simple thing- first, do something and then talk about it.

And how many times will he say it? Roger has beaten him quite comfortably the last few times they've met.

star
01-01-2006, 08:58 PM
Actually, that article is an interview with Mark Woodforde. Lleyton didn't say anything in it.

But, I hope Lleyton does think he can beat Federer. I wouldn't like it if he had the wimpy idea that he was beaten before he walked on the court.

Bad Religion
01-01-2006, 09:01 PM
And how many times will he say it? Roger has beaten him quite comfortably the last few times they've met.

fluke Nalby fans ... booooooooooh

We talking about a former number one of tennis not ex number 4 .

nobama
01-01-2006, 09:02 PM
You gotta love the Aussie press. :lol:

sigmagirl91
01-01-2006, 09:04 PM
fluke Nalby fans ... booooooooooh

We talking about a former number one of tennis not ex number 4 .

I'm not talking about David. Please stay on topic. Seems like YOU can't keep him out of your mouth.

Deboogle!.
01-01-2006, 09:04 PM
I remember Woodforde was a tennis player once.no kidding, thanks. What's your point exactly? He was probably asked a few dumb questions by a dumb journalist and he answered them. It's not like Lleyton went off to the press bragging about something or whatever that hasn't happened yet. The article is just a fluff piece of sorts that's typical to most tennis press around the world, what's your fuss lol?

Fergie
01-01-2006, 09:05 PM
You gotta love the Aussie press. :lol:
Yeah, they are great :lol:

ExpectedWinner
01-01-2006, 09:26 PM
What's your point exactly?

My point is very simple. The action comes before the talk. Beat someone and then talk about it; make some improvements in your game, show them on the court, and only after that talk about them, etc.

star
01-01-2006, 09:36 PM
My point is very simple. The action comes before the talk. Beat someone and then talk about it; make some improvements in your game, show them on the court, and only after that talk about them, etc.

And you are giving this advice to Lleyton because of this article? :confused:

ExpectedWinner
01-01-2006, 09:51 PM

No. I didn't mention him at all. Instead, I said that the majority of tennis players do a lot of useless talking.

My coach told me many years ago- don't talk about your improved serve, show it on the court and let everybody notice it. Don't say that you can beat player Ivanov- just go and do it. If I were Woodforde, I'd probably wait till Hewitt "nulifies" Federer on the court. That's all. :shrug:

bad gambler
01-01-2006, 09:56 PM

even if it was hewitt who said it, what do you want him to say - federer is god and all the tennis players should kneel down to him and give up?

nothing wrong for a player to say he will try and challenge federer this year, should any of the top players say so

World Beater
01-01-2006, 10:00 PM

well, lleyton has always had trouble controlling his tongue. you as a fan know this better than most. In the past, before his many matches he would always talk up a storm about how he would beat x,y,z.

Would it be a surprise if lleyton really did say those things in the article? It seems to be a self-encouragement mechanism for hewitt.

prima donna
01-01-2006, 10:04 PM
Hewitt is yesterday's news.

:zzz:

Skyward
01-01-2006, 10:04 PM
even if it was hewitt who said it, what do you want him to say - federer is god and all the tennis players should kneel down to him and give up?

Where did he say that he expected Hewitt to say something like that? :silly: :wavey:

World Beater
01-01-2006, 10:06 PM

nothing wrong for a player to say he will try and challenge federer this year, should any of the top players say so

how about say nothing at all? i remember hewitt saying how federer's domination would end and that he had a great 2004 but that it was just a minor blip. he always has the tendency to talk a little trash which i actually like and want more guys to do. it makes things more interesting.

last year hewitt looked more like a sinking ship than a passing ship in comparison to federer.

ExpectedWinner
01-01-2006, 10:17 PM

:confused:
No. I don't want anybody to say that.

Socket
01-01-2006, 10:22 PM
OK, let me say s-l-o-w-l-y: Mark Woodforde and Lleyton Hewitt are TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE. Woodforde is a tournament director, and he's just talking up his tournament. That's all. Lleyton was NOT interviewed for this article, nor is he quoted in it. Is that so hard to understand?

Deboogle!.
01-01-2006, 10:24 PM
Is that so hard to understand?Seems to be :confused:

star
01-01-2006, 10:24 PM
well, lleyton has always had trouble controlling his tongue. you as a fan know this better than most. In the past, before his many matches he would always talk up a storm about how he would beat x,y,z.

Would it be a surprise if lleyton really did say those things in the article? It seems to be a self-encouragement mechanism for hewitt.

Yeah. It would be a real surprise to me because it's Woodforde who is quoted and not Lleyton.

star
01-01-2006, 10:25 PM
:confused:
No. I don't want anybody to say that.

You're a hard man to please. :lol:

World Beater
01-01-2006, 10:27 PM
Yeah. It would be a real surprise to me because it's Woodforde who is quoted and not Lleyton.

hewitt has said similar things in the past. its no surprise to me.

star
01-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Here's Roger being quoted, so the two of you can lambast Hewitt for talking out of turn some more. :lol:

Foundations in place for Hewitt's charge
By LEO SCHLINK
02jan06

LLEYTON Hewitt's coach Roger Rasheed is confident the world No. 4 has laid the foundations for a profitable Australian summer despite a long absence from competition.

Hewitt resumes tomorrow in the Next Generation Adelaide International, which begins today at Memorial Drive.

The dual Grand Slam champion has not played since late September, when he withdrew from the quarter-finals of the Thai Open in Bangkok because of groin soreness.

Rasheed, entering a fourth season with Hewitt as coach, believes his charge is perfectly primed to excel.

"We have done a lot of hard work towards getting ready for the Australian summer, culminating in the Australian Open," Rasheed said.

"That work has put us in a position to make the best approach for the Australian Open.

"As Lleyton has pointed out, the first couple of matches in Adelaide will be testing.

"But we're very excited by what lies ahead."

Hewitt begins his hunt for a third Adelaide title - he won in 1998 as a 16-year-old and again two years later - against Czech Jan Hernych.

Hewitt shrugged off the dangerous baseliner in four sets at Wimbledon last year. The South Australian will be eager to preserve his record of never losing before the quarter-finals in his hometown, though Hernych is no slouch. The lanky right-hander boasts wins over Mark Philippoussis and former world No. 1 Juan Carlos Ferrero.

If Hewitt manages to overcome Hernych, he will forge deeper into a classy field which includes 2004 winner Dominik Hrbaty, accomplished Spaniard Tommy Robredo and British tyro Andy Murray.

But if Chris Guccione can oust German Philipp Kohlschreiber, Hewitt would face his Davis Cup team-mate for a berth in the quarter-finals with Wimbledon semi-finalist and Croatian Davis Cup hero Mario Ancic lurking dangerously.

FANS can get up close to Adelaide's world No. 4 Lleyton Hewitt at the Fanfest display at the rear of the Next Generation clubrooms at Memorial Drive from noon today as part of the Kid's Day at the Adelaide International tournament.

Hewitt will be signing autographs for 30 mintues and children under-16 get in free when accompanied by an adult.

Socket
01-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Hewitt will be signing autographs for 30 mintues and children under-16 get in free when accompanied by an adult.
THAT BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!
/sarcasm

Deboogle!.
01-01-2006, 10:47 PM
hewitt has said similar things in the past. its no surprise to me.So bag on him when he actually says something again. I don't like the guy or even pretend to but geez, how can you attack someone for something that someone else said :lol:

rexman
01-01-2006, 10:47 PM
Hewitt is yesterday's news.

:zzz:

Off-topic but did Agassi really say what's in your sig?

World Beater
01-01-2006, 10:56 PM
So bag on him when he actually says something again. I don't like the guy or even pretend to but geez, how can you attack someone for something that someone else said :lol:

hey...read my post!!!

i said i liked it! i want him to trash talk.

i didnt attack him. i know he didnt say anything, but if he did anyway, i said i wouldnt be surprised.

World Beater
01-01-2006, 10:57 PM
Off-topic but did Agassi really say what's in your sig?

yes. i can vouch for that

rexman
01-01-2006, 10:58 PM
yes. i can vouch for that

When and what was the situation?

World Beater
01-01-2006, 11:00 PM
When and what was the situation?

i dont remember. it was when agassi was in his early 20's, before he dipped down to the 100's in the rankings.

i do recall him saying such a thing though. maybe prima knows

Socket
01-01-2006, 11:22 PM
i dont remember. it was when agassi was in his early 20's, before he dipped down to the 100's in the rankings.

i do recall him saying such a thing though. maybe prima knows
Over the years, I have spent many, many hours watching Andre practice, mostly at the Washington, DC tournament. I can tell you that using words like "cocksucker" and "faggot" during practice is simply standard operating procedure for Andre. He has always had quite the mouth on him. Personally, I don't have a problem with his cussin', but I do have a problem with people bagging on other players for their language, but giving Andre a bye.

Edit: He also says he's playing "like a girl" when he's unhappy with his efforts.

Skyward
01-01-2006, 11:26 PM
I can tell you that using words like "cocksucker" and "faggot" during practice is simply standard operating procedure for Andre.

:lol:

World Beater
01-02-2006, 12:15 AM
Over the years, I have spent many, many hours watching Andre practice, mostly at the Washington, DC tournament. I can tell you that using words like "cocksucker" and "faggot" during practice is simply standard operating procedure for Andre. He has always had quite the mouth on him. Personally, I don't have a problem with his cussin', but I do have a problem with people bagging on other players for their language, but giving Andre a bye.

Edit: He also says he's playing "like a girl" when he's unhappy with his efforts.

i wonder what steffi thinks of this. :eek:

Socket
01-02-2006, 12:32 AM
i wonder what steffi thinks of this. :eek:
As a former professional player, I'm sure she knows that how a person acts, and what he says, on court has little to do with how he or she behaves off court. And while I don't speak German, people who do have told me that she's not exactly Mother Theresa on court, either. :D

World Beater
01-02-2006, 01:41 AM
As a former professional player, I'm sure she knows that how a person acts, and what he says, on court has little to do with how he or she behaves off court. And while I don't speak German, people who do have told me that she's not exactly Mother Theresa on court, either. :D

ahh...they are perfect for each other!

its.like.that
01-02-2006, 05:17 AM
what a ridiculous article

Lleyton has a better chance of knocking out Lennox Lewis.

Fedex
01-02-2006, 05:23 AM
I'll believe it when I see it. Lleyton can talk all he wants, but untill he actually beats Federer, he'd do well to keep his mouth shut.

Fedex
01-02-2006, 05:28 AM

No, but Hewitt has done this in the past and it hasn't paid any dividends for him. I dont mind cockiness, as long as you can back it up.

its.like.that
01-02-2006, 05:34 AM
let him be cocky, but he won't earn anyone's respect until he puts his money where his mouth is.

;)

avocadoe
01-02-2006, 01:29 PM
what's Woody smoking these days :)

RoddickFans
01-06-2006, 03:07 AM
:lol:

he just lost to kohlschreiber :lol:

Corey Feldman
01-06-2006, 03:23 AM
that German who beat Hewitt yesterday, i remember him reaching fourth round at Aussie open last year, he likes the rebound ace it seems

bad gambler
01-06-2006, 03:27 AM
No, but Hewitt has done this in the past and it hasn't paid any dividends for him. I dont mind cockiness, as long as you can back it up.

except this time it was the tournament director who said it to drum up some ticket sales instead of it coming directly from hewitt's mouth

Oriental_Rain
01-06-2006, 04:47 AM
the question.... is Hewitt ready to change his game? :rolleyes:

TennisGrandSlam
01-06-2006, 06:31 AM
C'mon :cool:

mojo37_12
01-06-2006, 06:42 AM
the question.... is Hewitt ready to change his game? :rolleyes:

I personally don't think he needs to change his game... he just has to beef it up a little more. :)

missbungle
01-06-2006, 06:47 AM
I think he should come to net a bit more... it seemed to work when he did it during his match with Federer at the US Open, but he couldn't keep up that tactic for the entire match.

Lleytonisthebest
01-06-2006, 11:58 AM
he doesn't have to change his game just to get a good serve 'cause now it's just a shit-a great shit!! to serve a double on a break-point against a guy who is 80 places behind u it's just ******! on break point against him federer always kicks either an ace or an unreturnable serve! that makes him n°1