Matthew Cronin predictions for 2006 - anyone agree with them ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Matthew Cronin predictions for 2006 - anyone agree with them ?

DrJules
12-31-2005, 11:21 PM
1. Will Roger Federer win the calendar year Grand Slam?

No, but the dominant Swiss No. 1 will win the only Grand Slam title that still eludes him, the French Open. Federer — who's won five Grand Slam titles during the last two years — is finally showing some physical wear and tear, but mentally, he still has a tremendous amount of hunger and wants to prove that he's the best of all time.

The 24-year-old can't do that convincingly unless he wins the only major played on clay. With the right amount of patience and varied attack, he has the goods to reign in Paris. He'll also win the Australian Open again, but will have his winning streaks stopped at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open.

2. Will Rafael Nadal win a Grand Slam on a surface that isn't clay, and can he really challenge Federer week in and week out?

The 19-year-old Spaniard can but won't be a significant challenger in 2006 until he gets healthy again. The brawny lefty played a ton last year and needs to seriously reduce his schedule, but he's improving his serve — the weakest part of his game — and is adding stick to his backhand. This lightning-quick defender's time in the sunshine won't come until the U.S. Open, but he'll make waves all year long and get into Fed's head.

3. Will Andy Roddick regain his confidence and win another Slam title?

America's top player had a rough year in 2005, winning five mid-sized titles but no Master Series crowns or Grand Slams. Federer is dominating him; Lleyton Hewitt is still a better player, and Nadal has already passed him in the rankings. The good news is that Roddick has improved his backhand, his transition game and his volley. The bad news is that he's lost a fair amount of confidence. But the fast-talking Roddick is super-determined and will find a way to serve through the field at Wimbledon and win his second Slam crown.

4. Will Andre Agassi finally retire?

Unless he finds a miracle cure for the nerve injury that affects his back and hip, Agassi will wave goodbye at age 36 after the U.S. Open. He's still a legitimate top-five player when he's healthy (remember his sterling run to the 2005 U.S. Open final), but that's been very rare over the past two years. He'll only play a part-time schedule in 2006, and if he can't continually bag wins over the elite, he'll join his wife, Steffi Graf, at home with their two kids. His body is telling him to quit , and he'll finally answer its prayers.

5. Will the Argentines take over the Tour?

Unless you are talking about the Tour de France, where using stimulants is apparently par for the course, this South American nation will fall back in tennis in 2006. Collectively, this standout country has had five players test positive for doping in the past few years, and two of its stars, French Open finalist Mariano Puerta and semifinalist Guillermo Canas, were suspended in 2005.

One of its top players, Guillermo Coria, who was once suspended, said, "We Argentines are all suspected. Our effort isn't taken into account. We have to do even more to prove we are great players.?"

Among their better players, only Shanghai titlist David Nalbandian and 2004 French Open winner Gaston Gaudio have managed to stay clean. When much of the world believes your nation is cheating, it isn't easy to stay mentally sound, which is why, as a group, Argentina will cry for itself during '06.

6. What are the futures of Marat Safin and Lleyton Hewitt?

Hazy in both cases. Nearly a year ago, the Russian and the Aussie faced off in a well-played Australian Open final, and the future appeared rosy for both of them. But Safin went down with a knee injury that just won't heal, and Hewitt has mellowed due to his marriage to actress Bec Cartwright and the birth of their daughter, Mia.

A rickety Safin means poor movement, but if he does manage to find a way to get healthy for a small stretch, Safin will charge hard for his third Slam title at the U.S. Open. Hewitt may have lost a bit of his snarl but not his competitive fire, and with the right draw, he could win his third Slam crown. But neither veteran will finish the year in style, and they are both on downward curves.

7. Who will be the breakthrough players on the men's side?

It would be nice to find an American or Aussie teen who is ready to make a splash, but there are none on the horizon who will shake the foundations of the tour. Czech teen Tomas Berdych, French teens Gael Monfils and Richard Gasquet and Scottish teen Andy Murray should all end the year in the top 20, but U.S. kids like Donald Young and Sam Querry and Aussie youngster Carston Ball are not yet ready for prime time. Is it too early to hope for Agassi and Hewitt's kids to enter the tours as toddlers?

8. Will any other American man become a significant player?

James Blake will. The 25-year-old showed at the U.S. Open and in winning Stockholm that he has improved immeasurably all over the court, and he has the confidence to back it up. Expect Blake to make a major impact in Australia, crack the top 10 for the first time and stay there. Robby Ginepri and Taylor Dent will end their years in the top 30, but they won't reach any major finals.

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/5206974

KoOlMaNsEaN
12-31-2005, 11:55 PM
I don't believe articles I disagree with :p

ReturnWinner
12-31-2005, 11:56 PM
his predictions are the same as he is=shit

bad gambler
01-01-2006, 12:02 AM
only agree with points 7 & 8

gusman890
01-01-2006, 12:13 AM
federer, repeat of '04 - 6 losses no biggie

b_boy
01-01-2006, 12:23 AM
Come On, 2006 is Hewitt Year :p

prima donna
01-01-2006, 12:33 AM
Game, Set and The Match... Federer

Matthew Cronin :worship::worship::worship:

tangerine_dream
01-01-2006, 12:48 AM
Check out what tennis-x's predictions were for 2005 :lol:

ATP 2005 YEAR-END RANKING PREDICTIONS

1. Roger Federer
Only questions will be by how much and if he will win all four.

2. Lleyton Hewitt
Former two-time World No. 1 got his game back in 2004, and arguably only Federer kept him from another top finish.

3. Marat Safin
Is there anyone more mercurial among the Top 10 than this Russian? A solid Masters Cup effort should carryover into a more complete season in the new year.

4. Andy Roddick
New coach Dean Goldfine has never coached a Slam champion, and he'll likely end 2005 with that same mark.

5. Guillermo Coria
All eyes will be on "El Fragile" to see if he has fully recovered from his French Open flop. Time will tell...

6. Carlos Moya
With Ferrero playing mental catch-up, King Carlos is the new leader of the Armada.

7. David Nalbandian
A tough off season and a poor 2004 campaign should provide enough motivation for the guy with the best shot at beating Federer.

8. Juan Carlos Ferrero
Should rebound from an awful 2004 season and an embarrassing Davis Cup finale in which he was asked to sit on the sidelines. If that doesn't provide him with a motivational fire nothing will.

9. Tim Henman
Guess what? The serve-volley routine still works, but it isn't going to surprise anyone on the clay anymore.

10. Rafael Nadal
His heroic Davis Cup effort should spark "The Prodigy" to his first of many Top 10 finishes.

2005 GRAND SLAM PREDICTIONS

Australian Open
Roger Federer defeats Lleyton Hewitt

French Open
Guillermo Coria defeats Carlos Moya

Wimbledon
Roger Federer defeats Andy Roddick

US Open
Marat Safin defeats Roger Federer

alfonsojose
01-01-2006, 01:11 AM
If Rainer goes back to top 50 at least, and neither Roger nor Coria win RG, i'll be fine :shrug: :yeah:

Federerthebest
01-01-2006, 02:18 AM

Unless you are talking about the Tour de France, where using stimulants is apparently par for the course, this South American nation will fall back in tennis in 2006. Collectively, this standout country has had five players test positive for doping in the past few years, and two of its stars, French Open finalist Mariano Puerta and semifinalist Guillermo Canas, were suspended in 2005.

One of its top players, Guillermo Coria, who was once suspended, said, "We Argentines are all suspected. Our effort isn't taken into account. We have to do even more to prove we are great players.?"

Among their better players, only Shanghai titlist David Nalbandian and 2004 French Open winner Gaston Gaudio have managed to stay clean. When much of the world believes your nation is cheating, it isn't easy to stay mentally sound, which is why, as a group, Argentina will cry for itself during '06.

:worship::worship::worship:

s.m.
01-01-2006, 11:54 AM
his predictions are the same as he is=shit

i agree, but you said it too well for me to add anything :devil:

its.like.that
01-01-2006, 12:12 PM
It's almost as though he has travelled back in time to make this write-up.

:D

Bolar Bolabi
01-01-2006, 12:26 PM
Unless you are talking about the Tour de France, where using stimulants is apparently par for the course,

I disliked him after I read that.

Deivid23
01-01-2006, 02:14 PM
What a clown :retard:

Experimentee
01-01-2006, 02:48 PM
I agree with most of it. I dont think Roddick will win Wimbledon, and I'm not sure that Federer can win RG this year, although he is capable of it. Theres not much to fault about the other predictions.

propi
01-01-2006, 02:52 PM
7. Who will be the breakthrough players on the men's side?

It would be nice to find an American or Aussie teen who is ready to make a splash, but there are none on the horizon who will shake the foundations of the tour. Czech teen Tomas Berdych, French teens Gael Monfils and Richard Gasquet and Scottish teen Andy Murray should all end the year in the top 20

:retard::retard:
WOW I guess he got Agassi-bald after having / thinking such a revelation :rolleyes:

adee-gee
01-01-2006, 02:59 PM
1. Will Roger Federer win the calendar year Grand Slam?

No, but the dominant Swiss No. 1 will win the only Grand Slam title that still eludes him, the French Open.
:lol: funny guy.

azinna
01-02-2006, 12:47 AM
I'm not exactly sure how Roger could win the French during a season in which Rafa is making waves and getting in Fed's head. Isn't that an apt summary of 2005?

4 consecutive Wimbledons would be a ridiculous feat, so I guess it isn't that out-there to suggest that Roger's streak will be snapped. But by whom? Looking back at the moments when Sampras's hold was loosened, a loss in 2006 would likely be due to (a) a Krajicek-like nemesis such as Nalbadian; (b) a Federer-like future champion such as Gasquet; or (c) showing up less than 100%. Perhaps then Roddick would pick up the crown.

Last thing: Safin's career is not on a downward curve. His career path has no curvature to it at all.

World Beater
01-02-2006, 01:42 AM
I'm not exactly sure how Roger could win the French during a season in which Rafa is making waves and getting in Fed's head. Isn't that an apt summary of 2005?

4 consecutive Wimbledons would be a ridiculous feat, so I guess it isn't that out-there to suggest that Roger's streak will be snapped. But by whom? Looking back at the moments when Sampras's hold was loosened, a loss in 2006 would likely be due to (a) a Krajicek-like nemesis such as Nalbadian; (b) a Federer-like future champion such as Gasquet; or (c) showing up less than 100%. Perhaps then Roddick would pick up the crown.

Last thing: Safin's career is not on a downward curve. His career path has no curvature to it at all.

well i think...matt was more or less saying that time is running out on the russian. he isnt getting any younger and seems to be getting injured more often.

World Beater
01-02-2006, 01:45 AM
there is also a big difference between the sampras-krajicek and federer-nalby comparisons.

nalbandian beat federer mostly before fed became a #1. krajicek dismissed sampras when pete was in his prime.

we all know that roger was in his prime in shanghai.

redsox1133
01-02-2006, 01:48 AM
I really hope roddick wins a slam this year...he really deserves it....him and hewitt have worked soo hard they both, more than anyone else on the mens tour deserve a slam....davenport deserves it the most on the womens side.

World Beater
01-02-2006, 02:20 AM
I really hope roddick wins a slam this year...he really deserves it....him and hewitt have worked soo hard they both, more than anyone else on the mens tour deserve a slam....davenport deserves it the most on the womens side.

how can you say that? just because the press has made a big deal of roddick's and hewitts efforts doesnt mean they deserve it. for all you know roger might work just as hard. roger has talent, but he is also a much better athlete than roddick and hewitt. Roger worked on his athleticism, he wasnt born with it.

unless you have contacts to their coaches, you cant definitively say who is working harder.

azinna
01-02-2006, 05:11 AM
well i think...matt was more or less saying that time is running out on the russian. he isnt getting any younger and seems to be getting injured more often.

....i see what you're saying...but isn't that true for all the players? Interestingly enough, repeat injuries was a running theme in Cronin's predictions, starting with Federer and including Agassi, Marat, even Rafa.

"Downward curve" was reserved for Hewitt and Marat. Sure, one can safely say that Hewitt, regardless of what he does from now, won't re-attain the heights of conescutive seasons as year-end #1, but Marat, at 25, is as likely to pull an Agassi as he is Kafelnikov.

azinna
01-02-2006, 05:27 AM
there is also a big difference between the sampras-krajicek and federer-nalby comparisons.

nalbandian beat federer mostly before fed became a #1. krajicek dismissed sampras when pete was in his prime.

we all know that roger was in his prime in shanghai.

Agreed, sort of (i'd wait a few years, see how the head-to-head looks once both players' primes are over). Anyways Nalbandian is the closest to a nemesis that'd be dangerous on grass in 2006 (less so Hrbaty). Hence the use of the adjective "Krajicek-like."

Springy
01-02-2006, 07:38 AM
This man is totally crazy!

jrm
01-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Why do Americans have such a belief in thier players :help:

drf716
01-02-2006, 11:26 AM
the only thing i agree with his predictions is that marat safin= hazy

buzz
12-15-2006, 10:13 AM
hmm... he missed a little on federer. I think federer will always have the biggest chance at wim and US but this quy didn't for some reason??

refero*fervens
12-15-2006, 12:34 PM
Interesting bump...:D I wonder what the 07 one would look like!

buzz
12-15-2006, 01:58 PM
I think his assumption was that after Roger "won Roland Garros," :o he'd lose steam for the rest of the year and not come through at the slams. Funny that the exact opposite happened. Some of the predictions were spot on though, particularly the one re. Blake.

yess overall Matthew did a very good job. its more likely to have a wrong prediction than a good one in tennis:yeah:

Roger The Great
12-16-2006, 03:40 AM
yess overall Matthew did a very good job. its more likely to have a wrong prediction than a good one in tennis:yeah:

Sshhhhhhhh... Quiet down. You don't want others hearing you complement mainstream tennis writers around here. It's not cool. Didn't you know? (although I absolutely agree with you. :) )

Jaffas85
12-16-2006, 03:55 AM
When does this Cronin character unleash his 2007 predictions?

mattcronin
12-21-2006, 08:16 PM
just before the new year. I'm looking to bat .500 or so :)

Jlee
12-21-2006, 10:17 PM
Wow, his predictions weren't bad. Interesting. Can't wait to read the one for 2007!

Burrow
12-22-2006, 10:34 PM
Wow, his predictions weren't bad. Interesting. Can't wait to read the one for 2007!

his predictions for the 2005 one were downright awful!

Jlee
12-23-2006, 01:36 AM
his predictions for the 2005 one were downright awful!

Oh really? Well maybe he makes good picks every other year or so or something :lol:

Fee
11-28-2007, 12:10 AM
Wonder if he will do any for 2008?

Peoples
11-28-2007, 12:32 AM
Who cares really what he thinks, just about anybody on MTF could make equal or better predictions than this guy.

krystlel
11-28-2007, 01:35 AM
His 2006 predictions weren't exactly objective.

leng jai
11-28-2007, 06:36 AM
Cronin starts with C. Clown starts with C. I can see the correlation.

Jaap
11-28-2007, 11:25 AM

LOL