Roger plots for Open behind closed doors [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roger plots for Open behind closed doors

nobama
12-31-2005, 02:44 PM
Roger plots for Open behind closed doors (http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,17700642%255E2764,00.html)
LEO SCHLINK

ROGER Federer has successfully executed the first phase of his Australian Open plan – a week of clandestine practice in Sydney with coach Tony Roche.

The world's finest player flew to Australia from his Dubai base to spend Christmas with Roche, secretively laying the foundation for another Melbourne Park tilt.

Federer, 24, returned to the Middle East last night to prepare to defend the Qatar Open crown in Doha.

Still bitterly disappointed by his semi-final loss to eventual champion Marat Safin at the centenary Open at Rod Laver Arena, Federer has stunned those around him with his training intensity.

Determined to toil undisturbed, world champion Federer left his luxury city hotel in Sydney early each morning to make the journey to Roche's private court.

Completing up to three sessions a day with a mentor who does not tolerate slackers, Federer slept on Roche's couch between sessions to recover.

After eating lunch and sometimes dinner at Roche's home, Federer then travelled back to central Sydney to rest.

The peerless Wimbledon and US Open champion is chasing a 34th title in Doha to continue what shapes as an ominously driven preparation for the Australian Open.

Federer, winner of six majors, is desperate to reclaim the Australian Open as arch rival Lleyton Hewitt prepares to go one step further than last year.

Federer will fly back to Australia for the Kooyong Classic in Melbourne from January 11 before tackling the Australian Open, where Safin is unlikely to be able to defend his title due to knee problems.

Those close to Federer are astonished at his pre-season aggression and his regular laments over the failure to convert a match point in last year's Open semi-final.

Federer lost only four matches in a stunning tour de force marked by 11 victories, including two majors. Only Russian Safin (Australian Open), Frenchman Richard Gasquet (Monte Carlo), Spaniard Rafael Nadal (French Open) and Argentine David Nalbandian (Masters Cup) lowered the colours of the Swiss genius.

Federer snuck into Australia in December 2004 to tap into Roche's incomparable practice court savvy.

Roche was rewarded mid-year for his input when Federer lifted the Wimbledon and US Open trophies.

He described the fluent right-hander as being on a par with Australian gun Lew Hoad, the highest of praise from those who witnessed Hoad at his most devastating.

Tellingly, Roche believes there is scope for improvement in Federer's game – the second serve and volleying.

Roche is seen to be expert in teaching both skills.

The pair will work together for 14 weeks this year.

Hewitt this week begins his quest for a third Adelaide title before switching his attention the Sydney International at Olympic Park, where he will bid for a record fifth crown.

He will then zero in on Rod Laver Arena where he last year succumbed to an inspired Safin and a groin injury in a four-set final.

The last man to beat Federer in Davis Cup, Hewitt refuses to be distracted by the lure of another clash with the Swiss world No.1, who has won the pair's past nine clashes and leads 11-7 overall.

cobalt60
12-31-2005, 02:45 PM
Tony Roche :worship:

Hola Mr. SK
12-31-2005, 02:57 PM
The only thing Tony Roche should do is to guarantee a 100% healthy Roger!

adee-gee
12-31-2005, 03:02 PM
Roger, you are evil :(

Skyward
12-31-2005, 03:06 PM
The only thing Tony Roche should do is to guarantee a 100% healthy Roger!

Since when is he a doctor?

bokehlicious
12-31-2005, 03:07 PM
Adam, please get a life asap :devil: :smooch: :o

adee-gee
12-31-2005, 03:11 PM
Adam, please get a life asap :devil: :smooch: :o
My life revolves around bashing Roger :D

cobalt60
12-31-2005, 03:12 PM
My life revolves around bashing Roger :D
;) Is that your New Year's Resolution?

adee-gee
12-31-2005, 03:13 PM
;) Is that your New Year's Resolution?
Indeed, to bash Roger as much as I can :angel:

RonE
12-31-2005, 03:14 PM

More than you will ever know hee-hee :devil: :aplot:

cobalt60
12-31-2005, 03:15 PM
Hmmmm... I don't even think I want to know why? :p

bokehlicious
12-31-2005, 03:17 PM

:D :) I guess a funny year in here :devil: :devil:

RonE
12-31-2005, 03:19 PM
Hmmmm... I don't even think I want to know why? :p

Didn't you hear? Every year at Christmas Roger dines on the blood of little babies. :p

On a serious note- great article! I am eagerly awaiting to see how his training and the lingering feelings of disappointment from last year's loss to Safin will translate into his on court performances :yeah:

adee-gee
12-31-2005, 03:22 PM
Didn't you hear? Every year at Christmas Roger dines on the blood of little babies. :p
He molests them first ;)

silverwhite
12-31-2005, 03:23 PM

:haha:

A happy Australian Open to you too. :kiss:

adee-gee
12-31-2005, 03:27 PM
:haha:

A happy Australian Open to you too. :kiss:
And to you too :kiss:

Richie v Rafa in the final? :D

celia
12-31-2005, 03:49 PM
Rogelio :worship: love the dedication. :kiss:

DrJules
12-31-2005, 03:55 PM

What's evil about practise. :rolleyes:

Domination is not easy. If Roger repeated the last 2 years for the next 4 years I think you may have a nevous breakdown.

adee-gee
12-31-2005, 03:57 PM

Domination is not easy. If Roger repeated the last 2 years for the next 4 years I think you may have a nevous breakdown.
Molesting little kids is evil :p

I think you're right :scared:

silverwhite
12-31-2005, 03:58 PM
And to you too :kiss:

Richie v Rafa in the final? :D

I don't think you understood what I meant. :o

More like Roger vs ?? in the final. ;)

RonE
12-31-2005, 03:59 PM

Adam and I have already discussed various scenarios and in such a case I assure you I will personally see to it that he be given the best care possible :p

P.S. Don't take Adam too seriously ;)

adee-gee
12-31-2005, 03:59 PM
I don't think you understood what I meant. :o

More like Roger vs ?? in the final. ;)
You were implying that Roger is going to win the AO, no?

I'm suggesting otherwise :)

Federerthebest
12-31-2005, 04:01 PM
lmao, good to see Roger travels all the way to Australia to spend Christmas with Roche rather than Roche traveling to him. Good coaching arrangement, Roche is definitely laughing all the way to the bank.

adee-gee
12-31-2005, 04:03 PM
P.S. Don't take Adam too seriously ;)
:kiss:

nobama
12-31-2005, 04:06 PM
Speaking exclusively to The Sunday Telegraph last night, Federer said he was in Sydney purely for "business".

"It would be nice to be home for Christmas in the snow but it's just better practice facilities here," he said. "Even though I still enjoy the Christmas, here is very different. I am outdoors, whereas at home it would be zero degrees and I'd be practising indoors ... it's all about business.

"You've got the hardcourt which we don't have in Switzerland and I have a coach here which I don't have in Switzerland."

Federer and girlfriend Mirka spent Christmas day with Roche and his family at Roche's north shore home.

"I spent Christmas with Tony's family, which was nice. It was a very intense week for us but we had a good time together," he said. "Working closely with Tony helps my game."

Still bitterly disappointed by his semi-final loss to eventual champion Marat Safin at the centenary Australian Open at Rod Laver Arena, Federer has stunned those around him with his training intensity.

"I hope I can get a better start to the year," he said.

"Last year I was in the semi-finals of the Australian Open and it was good. But having match point (against Safin), I could have easily gone one or two steps further.

"I'm anxious to see what is going to happen this year. To have such a great year last year and to back it up, it's not going to be easy."

silverwhite
12-31-2005, 04:06 PM
You were implying that Roger is going to win the AO, no?

I'm suggesting otherwise :)

I didn't think that I would have to spell this out but...

I was having a go at you because you seemed upset that Roger appears to be well-prepared for the AO. :ras:

nobama
12-31-2005, 04:08 PM
lmao, good to see Roger travels all the way to Australia to spend Christmas with Roche rather than Roche traveling to him. Good coaching arrangement, Roche is definitely laughing all the way to the bank.This is all Roger's choice. Nobody forced him to work with Roche. He knew going in that Tony didn't like traveling much.

rofe
12-31-2005, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the article Mirkaland. I just hope all that hard work for Roger pays off. I am actually surprised that the Aus Open loss affected him so much. I guess in a way it is good that he is gunning for the AO. I just hope he keeps his intensity through the tournament.

I can't wait for the tennis season to begin. I have been having withdrawal symptoms ever since the TMC.

I wish I could subscribe to the tennis channel. :mad:

adee-gee
12-31-2005, 04:11 PM
I didn't think that I would have to spell this out but...

I was having a go at you because you seemed upset that Roger appears to be well-prepared for the AO. :ras:
Roger won't win the AO, don't worry :)

1sun
12-31-2005, 04:16 PM
i dont think roger wants to be losing matches because of his fitness anymore.

Skyward
12-31-2005, 04:18 PM
Adam sounds like a broken record. :p

nobama
12-31-2005, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the article Mirkaland. I just hope all that hard work for Roger pays off. I hope so too. I'm glad to see that the intensity and determination is still there, that he's not becoming complacent. That's one of the things I've always liked about him, his work ethic.

adee-gee
12-31-2005, 04:21 PM
I love her mirkaland never stoops to my level and just carries on with her merry ways. mirkaland, I salute you :hatoff:

silverwhite
12-31-2005, 04:21 PM
Roger won't win the AO, don't worry :)

Very confident, are we? Willing to put something on the line then, Adam Le Gambler? ;)

adee-gee
12-31-2005, 04:22 PM
Very confident, are we? Willing to put something on the line then, Adam Gambler? ;)
Nope, Adam is staying away from gambling if he can help it.

Hola Mr. SK
12-31-2005, 04:32 PM
another Fed-bash thread? or Adam-bash thread?:lol:

nobama
12-31-2005, 04:34 PM
I love her mirkaland never stoops to my level and just carries on with her merry ways. mirkaland, I salute you :hatoff:That's because it's (usually) fun to ignore you. :p

adee-gee
12-31-2005, 04:36 PM
another Fed-bash thread? or Adam-bash thread?:lol:
Both are equally fun :D

adee-gee
12-31-2005, 04:38 PM
That's because it's (usually) fun to ignore you. :p
As long as I'm not on your ignore list I'm happy. I wouldn't want all my Fed-bashing not to be seen by some of my favourite Roger fans :hug:

silverwhite
12-31-2005, 04:41 PM
Nope, Adam is staying away from gambling if he can help it.

Not so confident then, huh? ;)

adee-gee
12-31-2005, 04:52 PM
Not so confident then, huh? ;)
As it happens, no :sad:

silverwhite
12-31-2005, 04:59 PM
I think if we tabulate the total number of posts each poster has made in Roger-related threads and do a ranking, we'll find Adee-gee near the top. :tape:

nobama
12-31-2005, 05:00 PM
As long as I'm not on your ignore list I'm happy. I wouldn't want all my Fed-bashing not to be seen by some of my favourite Roger fans :hug:The more you obsess over Roger just proves to me that you are a closet fan; you probably have wet dreams about him at night. Admit it, when you see this face you get all hot and bothered :devil:

http://sundaytelegraph.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,5091863,00.jpg

rofe
12-31-2005, 05:07 PM
I think if we tabulate the total number of posts each poster has made in Roger-related threads and do a ranking, we'll find Adee-gee near the top. :tape:

Yes, I pity him. He is so much in need of attention that he feels by bashing Fed he can atleast get some of the Fed fans to converse with him. Adee-gee, I sure hope you develop a lot of friends in real life and not rely on MTF posters as a psychological crutch.

Come on give me a hug you poor little boy. :hug:

adee-gee
12-31-2005, 05:16 PM
I'll let you do the research. Let me know the results :)

adee-gee
12-31-2005, 05:17 PM
The more you obsess over Roger just proves to me that you are a closet fan; you probably have wet dreams about him at night. Admit it, when you see this face you get all hot and bothered :devil:

Roger looks so much like one of my mates its untrue. If I was getting wet dreams I'd be seriously concerned.

adee-gee
Yes, I pity him. He is so much in need of attention that he feels by bashing Fed he can atleast get some of the Fed fans to converse with him. Adee-gee, I sure hope you develop a lot of friends in real life and not rely on MTF posters as a psychological crutch.

Come on give me a hug you poor little boy. :hug:
:haha: thank you for your pity, much appreciated pal. :hug:

silverwhite
I'll let you do the research. Let me know the results :)

What a comeback. :rolleyes:

adee-gee
12-31-2005, 05:18 PM
What a comeback. :rolleyes:
It wasn't supposed to be a comeback you tool.

Happy new year :kiss:

silverwhite
12-31-2005, 05:22 PM
It wasn't supposed to be a comeback you tool.

Happy new year :kiss:

You were clearly avoiding acknowledgement of my statement, son. :kiss:

adee-gee
12-31-2005, 05:27 PM
You were clearly avoiding acknowledgement of my statement, son. :kiss:
I couldn't care less. I'm outta here, I shall speak to you in 2006 :wavey:

nobama
12-31-2005, 05:30 PM
Roger looks so much like one of my mates its untrue. If I was getting wet dreams I'd be seriously concerned.:lol: You better start getting concerned, because in 2006 Rogi's going to cast such a spell over you with his brilliance and dominance on tour you won't know what hit you. But at least you'll be a changed man for the better. The curse of the Fed Express works in mysterious ways. :devil:

mangoes
12-31-2005, 08:25 PM

:lol: :lol: :haha: .......................I HEAR RAFA CALLING " :help: " WHAT DID YOU SAY RAFA :confused:

Pea
12-31-2005, 08:53 PM
The more you obsess over Roger just proves to me that you are a closet fan; you probably have wet dreams about him at night. Admit it, when you see this face you get all hot and bothered :devil:

A closetfan? More ways than one I presume, Adam?:o;)

And what is Rogi looking so fluffy for. :worship:

Corey Feldman
12-31-2005, 08:59 PM
Roger is major obsessed with winning this aussie open, mostly because of that defeat by Safin last year and also that loss to Nalbandian in the MC final ..

his 7 opponents are gonna feel the brunt of his fury in this Slam :D

Corey Feldman
12-31-2005, 09:02 PM
The Champ's forearms are extremly skinny looking thesedays :eek:

mangoes
12-31-2005, 09:09 PM
Roger is major obsessed with winning this aussie open, mostly because of that defeat by Safin last year and also that loss to Nalbandian in the MC final ..

his 7 opponents are gonna feel the brunt of his fury in this Slam :D

Agree :D

alfonsojose
01-01-2006, 12:53 AM
Federer slept on Roche's couch between sessions to recover.
:aplot:

Flibbertigibbet
01-01-2006, 01:00 AM
:aplot:

...:lol:

nobama
01-01-2006, 12:48 PM
New year means business as usual for Federer (http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=tennisNews&storyID=URI:urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060101:MTFH84 775_2006-01-01_11-24-57_L01508915:1)

DOHA, Jan 1 (Reuters) - The new year means business as usual for world number one Roger Federer whose resolution is simply to continue to dominate the tennis tour.

"I don't feel like it is the beginning of a new season. There is hardly any break between seasons," Federer told reporters when he arrived at Doha International Airport on Sunday for the defence of his Qatar Open title.

"The tennis calendar is almost round-the-year. It's almost continuous, so much so that I don't feel anything new," the Swiss said.

The Wimbledon and U.S. Open champion will start the new season by chasing his 34th career title at the $1 million Qatar Open, which begins on Monday.

"I had a good run in 2004 and I was able to match it in 2005 too. Obviously I am aiming at a repeat of that in 2006 as well," he said.

Since being beaten in the Masters Cup final by David Nalbandian in the season-ending Masters Cup, Federer, who played in the Shanghai event despite an ankle injury, has been training hard with coach Tony Roche in Sydney.

"We spent Christmas together but a lot of time was spent on the court for an intense preparation for 2006," Federer said.

The Swiss ace, who admitted he was disappointed by the loss to Nalbandian and by his defeat by eventual champion Marat Safin of Russia in the Australian Open semi-finals, said he felt he could continue to dominate the game in 2006.

"It's a huge priority for me to maintain the number one ranking during 2006. The Australian Open, in two weeks' time, should provide the clue as to what lies ahead in 2006," he said.

In Doha, Federer is drawn to meet Czech wild card Ivo Minar in the first round and faces a probable second-round clash with former champion Fabrice Santoro of France.

In the quarter-finals, Federer should face third-seeded Frenchman Richard Gasquet, who beat him at Monte Carlo last year, and could meet number six Olivier Rochus of Belgium in the semi-finals.

The bottom half of the draw is headed by world number five Nikolay Davydenko of Russia, who is expected to have an easy run until the semi-finals where his opponent could be fourth-seeded Frenchman Sebastien Grosjean.

silverwhite
01-01-2006, 01:58 PM
In the quarter-finals, Federer should face third-seeded Frenchman Richard Gasquet, who beat him at Monte Carlo last year, and could meet number six Olivier Rochus of Belgium in the semi-finals.

I believe they got it the wrong way round. :o

nobama
01-01-2006, 07:19 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a377/jsnash/rf_doha_06_16.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a377/jsnash/rf_doha_06_15.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a377/jsnash/rf_doha_06_14.jpg

RonE
01-01-2006, 07:57 PM
It seems he still has the ankle brace on. I hope it is for precaution only and that it will not hinder his movement in any way.

yomike
01-02-2006, 01:32 PM
Sorry Roger but you will suffer a wake up call when Richard beats you in Qatar.

avocadoe
01-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Roger looks trim/fit, tanned, and ready to go

1sun
01-02-2006, 02:29 PM
yeah it looks like hes lost some weight

Dirk
01-02-2006, 09:40 PM
Roger has been working hard I see. COME ON NNNNNNIIIIINNNNNNNJJJJJJAAAAAAAAA :D

KoOlMaNsEaN
01-02-2006, 10:19 PM
GO ROGER! Its great to see agression for once :)

World Beater
01-03-2006, 02:04 AM
Sorry Roger but you will suffer a wake up call when Richard beats you in Qatar.

someone needs to wake up from their delusions.

Corey Feldman
01-03-2006, 02:26 AM
Hopefully Henman will make that Quarter with Federer now ;)

Flibbertigibbet
01-03-2006, 02:39 AM
I think it'd be a semi-final, but yeah, I hope it does happen. (Of course, I hope Federer can meet Tim three more times, and win them all, so he'll have a winning record. ;))