When did the defending champion begin to play from the first round? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

When did the defending champion begin to play from the first round?

Shi Feng
12-31-2005, 01:17 AM
I heard that once upon a time the rule of Grand Slam was different from today. The defending champion of Grand Slams had to play only one match to defend the title. Other players played several rounds to gain the chance to challenge. But now the defending champion has to play from the first round as everyone else does.
In which year did the rule change? Did the rule change for men and women in the same year? Could anybody tell me?

Santorofan
12-31-2005, 11:20 AM
Good question. Can't give you an exact year, but I believe it was at least 80 or so years ago. I bet someone from the wtaworld "Blast From the Past" board might know, I suggest you post on there and ask.

Shi Feng
12-31-2005, 03:21 PM
Good question. Can't give you an exact year, but I believe it was at least 80 or so years ago. I bet someone from the wtaworld "Blast From the Past" board might know, I suggest you post on there and ask.
Thank you very much. Though I have an account in WTAWorld, I don't have the right to post there. Would you please post my question there and tell me the answer? Thank you!

rammerstoffer
12-31-2005, 03:28 PM
That system was never used in Roland Garros and Australian Champs. The system was used in Wimbledon until 1921 (men & women) and in the US Champs until 1911 (men) and 1918 (women)

rammerstoffer
12-31-2005, 03:31 PM
It was called Challenge Round System

Santorofan
01-02-2006, 07:27 AM
That system was never used in Roland Garros and Australian Champs. The system was used in Wimbledon until 1921 (men & women) and in the US Champs until 1911 (men) and 1918 (women)

Yup, this is what I recall as well, thanks for the confirmation.

Shi Feng
01-03-2006, 03:36 AM
Thank you so much, SantoroFan and rammerstoffer! :yeah: