Argentina Sportsman of the year is... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Argentina Sportsman of the year is...

NyGeL
12-30-2005, 04:01 AM
David Nalbandian :)

he won the "Gold Prize" at the "Olimpia's", chosen by sports journalist.

Other winners:

Lionel Messi (football)
Emanuel Ginobili (Basketball)
Jorge Barrios (Boxing)
Luciana Aymar (Hockey)
Georgina Bardach (Swimming)
Adolfo Cambiaso (Polo)
Angel Cabrera (Golf)
Felipe Contepomi (Rugby)
Pablo Meana (Volleybal)
David Nalbandian (Tenis)

Del Potro won as young tennis player of the year. Messi won gold prize there.

mojo37_12
12-30-2005, 04:09 AM
Good Job David! :yeah:

Flibbertigibbet
12-30-2005, 04:37 AM
Good to see tennis getting recognition through these awards and whatnot. Congratulations to David. :yeah:

Federerthebest
12-30-2005, 04:58 AM
lmao, Argentina musn't have very many good sportsmen if Nalbandian is sportsman of the year.

He beat an injured world-number-one in a Masters Cup draw so depleted even Puerta got a placement. Probably the entirety of the top twenty with the exception of the dirtballers could have done the same.

Actually, from what you've written in your post, it looks like Argentina is giving 'sportsman of the year' to persons from many sports. :confused: In that case I can see why Nalbandian was given the award, given the other option for tennis has just been banned for doping.

Clara Bow
12-30-2005, 05:22 AM
:D Congrats David :D

Now Nalby, let's continue with this momentum into 2006 and show people that this Shanghai title (and some of the wonderful play you showed during the tourney) wasn't a fluke and that you have been to the quarters of all Grand Slams for a reason.

El Legenda
12-30-2005, 05:31 AM
i thought David had his own forum :confused:

;)

NyGeL
12-30-2005, 07:21 AM
Actually, from what you've written in your post, it looks like Argentina is giving 'sportsman of the year' to persons from many sports. :confused: In that case I can see why Nalbandian was given the award, given the other option for tennis has just been banned for doping.

nope. First, they choose best players from every sport, and then, between them, they choose the best one, who wins the Gold Prize. So Nalbandian is the best one in tennis and in all sports.

If TMC would be played on January, he wouldn't won this prize. He just did it becouse it was played less than a month before T_T.

I think Ginobili deserve it.

cris1085
12-30-2005, 07:36 AM
Congratulations David!!!! Have a good 2006 :D

Hola Mr. SK
12-30-2005, 07:39 AM
:cool:

novanora
12-30-2005, 08:25 AM
lmao, Argentina musn't have very many good sportsmen if Nalbandian is sportsman of the year.

He beat an injured world-number-one in a Masters Cup draw so depleted even Puerta got a placement. Probably the entirety of the top twenty with the exception of the dirtballers could have done the same.

First they choose the best sportman from every field of sports from several candidates as the Silver Olympia. David beat Gaudio and Coria for tennis to compete the Gold Olympia with other best sportmen in their respect fields. And he win the best from the bests.

No matter the world No.1 is injured or not, and other top ones withdrew or not, David still won one of the biggest tourneys of whole season, and he played great matches. Besides, the important thing is that TMC is at the end of year, very near to the Gold Olympia award holding. That will surely add more impression to the people who decide the final winner. It really didn't surprise me he won this one. :yeah: Good job, David.

Björki
12-30-2005, 08:30 AM
Congrats David :yeah:

justClaudia
12-30-2005, 08:31 AM
Well done, David. :yeah:

Neely
12-30-2005, 09:48 AM
A bit surprising that they voted Nalbandian, because I personally favour an NBA Championship with an entire precedent very good season and playoffs that Ginobili played this year over an ATP Masters Cup, it's just the better performance for me, quality-wise and in consistency the way Ginobili lead his team to the title together with Duncan. Could be that Nalbandian had the advantage of the "last impression" in that voting also, because his big win was only a few weeks ago and the memories to it are still very fresh. But hey, at least it's tennis that wins, and not football :)

Jill
12-30-2005, 09:58 AM
Our man # 1. :worship:

jazz_girl
12-30-2005, 10:08 AM
A bit surprising that they voted Nalbandian, because I personally favour an NBA Championship with an entire precedent very good season and playoffs that Ginobili played this year over an ATP Masters Cup, it's just the better performance for me, quality-wise and in consistency the way Ginobili lead his team to the title together with Duncan. Could be that Nalbandian had the advantage of the "last impression" in that voting also, because his big win was only a few weeks ago and the memories to it are still very fresh. But hey, at least it's tennis that wins, and not football :)
That's true, but they also took for consideration his performance in the DC, especially against Australia, which had a lot of media coverage in here ;)

Neely
12-30-2005, 10:21 AM
That's true, but they also took for consideration his performance in the DC, especially against Australia, which had a lot of media coverage in here ;)
Sure, at least the voting was close (3 votes), so the relation is okay. And Ginobili did win last year, right? So he had the title already before and he shouldn't feel ignored despite his again very good year. Well, last year was even more deserved then because he can't do much more in his sport with the team than winning Olympic Gold and NBA championship :cool:

sonia
12-30-2005, 10:25 AM
Congrats David!! :yeah:

jazz_girl
12-30-2005, 11:16 AM
Sure, at least the voting was close (3 votes), so the relation is okay. And Ginobili did win last year, right? So he had the title already before and he shouldn't feel ignored despite his again very good year. Well, last year was even more deserved then because he can't do much more in his sport with the team than winning Olympic Gold and NBA championship :cool:
Ginobili won in 2003 and 2004! It was time for David :lol: ;)

Viken01
12-30-2005, 01:25 PM
well done david :D congrats

Lynne
12-30-2005, 01:30 PM
Congratulations David! :)

Lee
12-30-2005, 04:42 PM
i thought David had his own forum :confused:

;)

And I thought Ljubicic had his own forum :confused:

;)

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=62917

El Legenda
12-30-2005, 06:30 PM
And I thought Ljubicic had his own forum :confused:

;)

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=62917

nice try, but its been done before, that why i did it here. read that whole Ljubo thread, and you will know :wavey:

sophia_c
12-30-2005, 09:26 PM
No contest!!!! David Nalbandian!!!

TennisGrandSlam
12-31-2005, 06:16 PM
Good Job David! :yeah:

:)