Cheering for Juan in the Land Down Under [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Cheering for Juan in the Land Down Under

*Ljubica*
12-29-2005, 05:02 PM
This is the cheering thread for the tournaments in Australia and New Zealand. Juan starts his campaign next week in Adelaide - he has a place in the Main Draw due to Karol Beck's withdrawal. He is then playing quallies in Sydney before the Australian Open. Good Luck Juan :bounce:

DhammaTiger
12-29-2005, 07:03 PM
Vamos Juan!!!! good luck in both tournaments.

Sommarsverige
12-29-2005, 07:23 PM
Good luck Juan :yeah:

Björki
12-30-2005, 08:55 AM
Vamos Juan :bounce:

justClaudia
12-30-2005, 11:35 AM
Good luck Juan! :yippee:

bovenbuuf
12-30-2005, 08:03 PM
Good luck with both tournements!Hope he can start well in 2006

Hangdog
12-30-2005, 11:55 PM
Isn't it a good sign that Juan starts his new season from the main draw of a big tournament? :) Plus I like a lot his way of preparation during off-season time - he had enough time for the rest and it's just great that he had competition practice too :yeah:. Wish Juan a lucky draw (personally I'd prefer he doesn't meet a French at least in the first round ;) ). And Happy New Year to everybody :)!

Corina2605
12-31-2005, 08:46 AM
Yes, good luck to Juan next week. Hope it is a good start of an excellent year for him!

Vamos Juan :)

Björki
12-31-2005, 09:12 AM
Adelaide draw

Nieminen (7) vs. Mathieu
Mayer vs. Monaco
Q. Vs. Serra
Melzner vs. Robredo (3)

Corina2605
12-31-2005, 09:30 AM
Thanks Björki. Thats the re-match of this year's Kitz first round. Juan couldn't convert his matchpoint and lost in a close three-setter. Hopefully this time Juan is able to beat him. Vamos Juan!!!

*Ljubica*
12-31-2005, 11:37 AM
Isn't it a good sign that Juan starts his new season from the main draw of a big tournament? :) Plus I like a lot his way of preparation during off-season time - he had enough time for the rest and it's just great that he had competition practice too :yeah:. Wish Juan a lucky draw (personally I'd prefer he doesn't meet a French at least in the first round ;) ). And Happy New Year to everybody :)!

Yes - I hope it is a good sign too :) Mayer can be a tricky opponent - but he is a very "streaky" player - so let's just hope he has a "bad day" in Adelaide! And I wish you and everyone else on this Forum a Happy New Year too - hope it is a happy, healthy and peaceful 2006 for everyone - and lots of good tennis too :hug:

DhammaTiger
12-31-2005, 07:49 PM
Good luck Juan, and I hope you start the new year with a win. Happy New year everyone.

Papakori
01-01-2006, 11:02 AM

justClaudia
01-02-2006, 10:38 AM
Good luck against Mayer, Juanito!
And Happy New Year to everyone here. :D:D

*Ljubica*
01-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Here is tomorrow's OOP.

COURT 1 (11.00 AM) :

Mayer vs Mónaco
Chela vs Karlovic
Nieminen vs Mathieu
Carraz vs Carlsen

I am not too hopeful as Mayer is better on hard courts than Juan (it would be a different story if the match was on clay!) - but hope he can put up a good fight :) Buena suerte Juan :bounce:

justClaudia
01-02-2006, 11:01 AM
There's no way I can see the match...wish I could. :sad:
Love Australia (and the AO) a lot - but the time diference... :(

*Ljubica*
01-02-2006, 11:13 AM
There's no way I can see the match...wish I could. :sad:
Love Australia (and the AO) a lot - but the time diference... :(

Same here :sad: There is no TV coverage here anyway (just Doha on Eurosport) and Adelaide doesn't even have a live scoreboard on their site :devil: I'll probably get a phone call with the result at about 3.00am :eek: but I have to go to work tomorrow, so I think I would prefer to go without the call, cheer for him in my dreams and find out tomorrow ;)

justClaudia
01-02-2006, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I just realised that there's no live score either. :devil:
Guess I'm gonna have to wait for the morning as well.
Phone calls at 3am :rolleyes: no thanks...with the mood I wake up, I'll probably crash my phone or something, :lol:

Anyway, Vamos Juan! :bounce:

*Ljubica*
01-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I just realised that there's no live score either. :devil:
Guess I'm gonna have to wait for the morning as well.
Phone calls at 3am :rolleyes: no thanks...with the mood I wake up, I'll probably crash my phone or something, :lol:

Anyway, Vamos Juan! :bounce:

I am not keen on them either - but sometimes people just don't listen :rolleyes:

Anyway - as you say - Vamos Juan :bounce:

Björki
01-03-2006, 05:28 AM
F Mayer (GER) d J Monaco (ARG) 62 64 :(

*Ljubica*
01-03-2006, 07:25 AM
F Mayer (GER) d J Monaco (ARG) 62 64 :(

No big surprise - Juan is much better on clay and I didn't really expect him to win. It's all match practice though :) But without him and Calleri this tournament is officially over for me now :devil:

Strangely, - I'm told that because Juan did not play the first week of the year in 2005, the point he gained for losing this match means he has increased his points in the Entry Ranking - not lost any! The system is so complicated I just don't understand it at all :eek: All I know is that Juan does not have any significant points to defend until later in the year as he lost in the 1st or 2nd round of all his tournies in January and February last year - so there is nothing to worry about.

Papakori
01-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Juan :sad:

DhammaTiger
01-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Better luck next time Juan. As you said Rosie, no pints to defend so we have nothing to worry about. Just exposure and match practice, hopefully in the Aus Open he gets a good draw and gets a few extra points.

justClaudia
01-04-2006, 11:27 AM
It's good that he has no points to defend, I'm glad to know it.:D
Better luck next time, Juan.

Björki
01-06-2006, 10:42 AM
Sydney Qualy Draw

Andreas Seppi ITA v Justin Gimelstob USA
Frank Dancevic CAN v Jean-Rene Lisnard FRA
Flavio Cipolla ITA v Marcos Daniel BRA
Ramon Delgado PAR v Juan Monaco ARG

*Ljubica*
01-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Sydney Qualy Draw

Andreas Seppi ITA v Justin Gimelstob USA
Frank Dancevic CAN v Jean-Rene Lisnard FRA
Flavio Cipolla ITA v Marcos Daniel BRA
Ramon Delgado PAR v Juan Monaco ARG

Thanks Bjorki for doing this :hug: I meant to post the fact that Juan was now playing Sydney quallies a few days ago - but I've been really busy and completely forgot :o Thanks again- and good luck Juan :)

justClaudia
01-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Good luck for the quallies, Juan. :bounce:

Never heard of Ramon Delgado (maybe he's well known, and I've been really distracted, that's a possibility :lol: ) - hope he beat him.:D

Björki
01-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Juan def. Delgado 6-2, 6-4 :)
Juan def. Cipolla 6-1, 1-6, 6-1 :)

He will play Seppi tomorrow.

*Ljubica*
01-07-2006, 10:46 AM
Seppi will be hard - he is a good hard court player with an excellent serve and has just reached the quarter finals in Adelaide . But winning two matches in one day in quallies wil be good for Juan's confidence, and also for his match practice and fitness. If he beats Seppi (which will surprise me to be honest!) - then all the better - if not - it will be more time to practice for the Australian Open :) Whatever you do Juanito - have fun :)

justClaudia
01-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Seppi will be hard - he is a good hard court player with an excellent serve and has just reached the quarter finals in Adelaide . But winning two matches in one day in quallies wil be good for Juan's confidence, and also for his match practice and fitness. If he beats Seppi (which will surprise me to be honest!) - then all the better - if not - it will be more time to practice for the Australian Open :) Whatever you do Juanito - have fun :)

Exactly, Rosie. :yeah:

Good luck, Juan :D

Björki
01-08-2006, 09:24 AM
he lost in three :(

*Ljubica*
01-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Close match though - he lost 6-2, 2-6, 4-6 and was actually leading 3-1 in the Final set. I have it on very good authority ;) that Juan is playing very well and that can only be good news for the clay court matches that start in a few weeks and are more important for him. Good Luck Juan.

Björki
01-08-2006, 11:54 AM
Malisse is doubtful. So Juan may get in as LL.

*Ljubica*
01-08-2006, 12:03 PM
Malisse is doubtful. So Juan may get in as LL.

What is wrong with Malisse! Must admit I don't have a clue how Lucky Losers work but it would be nice if it happened.

Björki
01-08-2006, 12:10 PM
on stevegtennis someone posted Malisse has a blister on big toe.
Juan was seeded 6 in Qualy and is the highest seeded players who lost.
So he is the one who gets in first.

*Ljubica*
01-08-2006, 12:24 PM
on stevegtennis someone posted Malisse has a blister on big toe.
Juan was seeded 6 in Qualy and is the highest seeded players who lost.
So he is the one who gets in first.

Ah - OK - thanks for that! I never did know about Lucky Losers. And of course I don't wish for injury to anyone (and I quite like Malisse) - but it would be good for Juan. I'm offline to watch Carlos' Final now anyway - so thanks for the info. and see you later :wavey:

*Ljubica*
01-08-2006, 05:15 PM
Acording to a friend of mine in Sydney, Malisse will not make a decision about withdrawing until Tuesday morning, but the "rumour" going round is that he will withdraw to make sure his blisters are healed properly in time for the Australian Open. So Juan will have to hang around until at least Wednesday in case he or anyone else withdraws from the tournament. I guess at least he will have good practice partners and facilities in Sydney :)

*Ljubica*
01-09-2006, 05:33 AM
There is another rumour going round that Thomas Johansson has withdrawn from Sydney so seems like Juan will definately play tomorrow - but will confirm definately when I hear it is more than just a rumour :p

*Ljubica*
01-09-2006, 08:26 AM
Confirmed - Juan definately in main draw. ToJo has withdrawn.

Björki
01-09-2006, 08:34 AM
ToJo :sad:
Good luckt to Juan.

justClaudia
01-09-2006, 09:12 AM
:awww: Poor ToJo.

Anyway, good luck Pico - have fun there. :D

Action Jackson
01-09-2006, 09:13 AM
He is first match on Court 3 tomorrow against Verdasco.

*Ljubica*
01-09-2006, 09:20 AM
He is first match on Court 3 tomorrow against Verdasco.

Thanks GWH

justClaudia
01-09-2006, 10:07 AM
Yummy match! - sorry, sorry I'll behave. :lol:
Thanks for the info, GWH.

And vamos Juan! :yippee:

Corina2605
01-09-2006, 03:13 PM
Pleased to see that Juan is in the maindraw. Good luck to him :)

*Ljubica*
01-10-2006, 05:21 AM
So, this morning the bananas are definately dancing for Juan :) who took good advantage of his Lucky Loser spot by beating Verdasco 6-2, 6-3 :) I am sorry for all the Nando fans here :sad: - but I'm so thrilled for Juan that all his hard work in the pre-season seems to be paying off. Will try and bring you a match report later, but now I am late for work................ so here are some happy bananas!!!!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Björki
01-10-2006, 05:24 AM
great result for Juan.

Sommarsverige
01-10-2006, 07:17 AM
I am very happy for Juan :) , though I of course also feel sad for Nando :(

But I have the impression that it would be very important for Juan to finally show some good results and with that to increase his self-confidence for the whole season 2006!
I have already waited for his big break-through last year, but I really feel (and hope it too), that he will have a great 2006 :)

Vamos Pico :yeah:

*Ljubica*
01-10-2006, 07:27 AM
I am very happy for Juan :) , though I of course also feel sad for Nando :(

But I have the impression that it would be very important for Juan to finally show some good results and with that to increase his self-confidence for the whole season 2006!
I have already waited for his big break-through last year, but I really feel (and hope it too), that he will have a great 2006 :)

Vamos Pico :yeah:

Like most young players, what Juan really needs at this stage of his career are some good wins to boost his confidence and self-belief, and help him to make the next step. And I think you're right - some good results against higher ranked players are exactly what is needed to help that to happen. I am not a naturally optimistic person (I always tend to fear the worst in everything :sad: ), but I'm really hoping that you're right when you say this could be a good year for him. He has a good coach and is settled with a lovely girlfriend and a happy personal life - and I really wish the best for him.

Björki
01-10-2006, 08:13 AM
Court 6 at 11 am
Clement vs Monaco

*Ljubica*
01-10-2006, 12:32 PM
http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v4/pagina.jsp?pagId=1121945

Monaco Shines and Comes through Without Problems

He beats the Spaniard Fernando Verdasco 6-3, 6-2 in only 59 minutes. He came in as a Lucky Loser, but took advantage of this and will next play Clement. Agustín Calleri will play Davydenko tomorrow.

Juan Mónaco, who got into the main draw in Sydney (419,000 dollars, on rebound ace) as a Lucky Loser after the withdrawal due to injury of the Swede Thomas Johansson, easily beat the Spaniard Fernando Verdasco in the first round of the main contest. The Argentine, Number 86º in the ranking, beat the Spaniard (Number 31º) by a score of 6-3, 6-2 in a match that lasted hardly 59 minutes on Court 3 of the Internatial Tennis Centre at the Olympic Park in Sydney. Monaco remained in control of the first set after breaking Verdasco’s serve in the sixth game. In the second set, the Argentine continued being the much better player and broke the Spaniard’s serve in the first and the third game. Frenchman Arnaud Clement will be his next rival in the second round,. Mónaco joins Agustín Calleri (51º), who will face the Russian Nikolay Davydenko , ranked Number 6 in the world and the tournament’s second favourite.

Corina2605
01-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Congrats Juan, good win :)

justClaudia
01-10-2006, 09:16 PM
Juanito!!

I was so excited when saw the result. Wanted to come early to put some bananas dancing for him - work was damn crazy today - but know I see that Rosie has already done it.:lol:
Great result, I'm sure this will be very good for his confidence.
Good luck against Arnaud.

Vamos Juan! :banana:

*Ljubica*
01-11-2006, 05:20 AM
Well, Juan lost to Clement :sad: but it was a close match - score 6-7(3), 3-6. Clement has had a lot of injuries recently, but he's still a class player who has reached the latter stages of Grand Slams and top events, so I'm not discouraged at all. I've heard Juan played well, but that Clement just had more experience, and it just came down to a few points here and there - especially on serve, and Clement has a strong serve for such a small guy. So well done Juan for getting some unexpected points in Sydney :) He will be going to Melbourne tomorrow to prepare for the AO - he lost in the 1st round there last year, so has no points to defend - so if he gets through a round there I'll be thrilled - if not - no great drama! Every match and event is part of a big learning curve for him - and good luck :)

*Ljubica*
01-11-2006, 07:39 AM
http://www.infobae.com/notas/nota.php?Idx=232503&IdxSeccion=100804

Monaco Fights Until the End but Loses in Australia

The Argentine lost 7-6 (7-3), 6-3 to Frenchman Arnaud Clement and left the Sydney International, but yesterday, he gained a valuable victory over the Spaniard Fernando Verdasco.

Frenchman Arnaud Clement advanced to the quarterfinals of the Sydney International after overcoming Argentine Juan Mónaco 7-6 (7-3), 6-3, in one hour and 44 minutes at the International Tennis Centre in Olympic Park. Mónaco, who was a Lucky Loser replacing Swede Thomas Johansson, beat Spaniard Fernando Verdasco in the first round, 6-3, 6-2. Today Mónaco had the opportunity to break his rival’s service in the fifth game, but the Frenchman recovered, and after an even set, Clement finally prevailed in the "tie break". In the second set, in spite of the result, Mónaco had several opportunities to win this set, but he could not take advantage of them, and in the end Clement took the set and the match. He will now face American James Blake, who got through to the quarterfinals without playing because Carlos Moyá retired with a hip injury.

Sommarsverige
01-11-2006, 01:49 PM
I was so optimistic and even chose him for my team...

*Ljubica*
01-11-2006, 02:04 PM
I was so optimistic and even chose him for my team...

So did I - and Calleri. :sad: It was my first attmept at the Management Game - but from now on I will let my head rule my heart and not choose my favourites for the Team!!!!

*Ljubica*
01-13-2006, 07:02 AM
OK - looking at the draw - I am very glad Juan has no points to defend at the AO :p Here is his quarter:-

3 Hewitt - Vik
Murray - Chela
C Rochus - Vliegen
Carlsen - 28 Verdasco
---
21 Kiefer - Srichaphan
Arthurs - Pashanski
Seppi - Q
Zib - 15 Ferrero
---
9 Gonzalez - Q
Clement - Mathieu
Berlocq - Phau
Horna - 22 Monfils
---
25 Grosjean - Philippoussis
Lisnard - MONACO
Marin - Martin
Hanescu - 6 Coria

I don't know anything about Lisnard (apart from the fact he seems to be quite unpopular :devil: ), and I guess he has a chance of beating him in the 1st round, but with the best will in the world, I can't see our boy beating either Grosjean or Mark P, on hard courts in the 2nd round They're both experienced guys with big serves who like hardcourts :sad: If it's Grosjean then he has reached the latter stages of AO before, and if it's Mark P. (I hope not - I don't like him :devil: ) - then he will have the crowd behind him. Sorry if some people get offended by my "negative" attitude - but it's not negative - it's just honest! I would back Juan all the way to beat Mark P. on clay (and give Grosjean a good run for his money there as well) - but not on hard unless one of them is injured. and I wouldn't wish that on anyone! So just hope he has fun and stays fit and healthy for the clay court season.

Papakori
01-13-2006, 02:59 PM
Good luck Monaco :)

Lisnard can be a tough opponent at times, I think in 2005 he got some quite big scalps unless I am confusing him with someone else. I have no idea though what his 2006 form is like though

*Ljubica*
01-13-2006, 03:38 PM
Good luck Monaco :)

Lisnard can be a tough opponent at times, I think in 2005 he got some quite big scalps unless I am confusing him with someone else. I have no idea though what his 2006 form is like though

Well I know nothing about him - so I did a check on the ATP site. He got to the 3rd round in the Australian Open last year and beat Grosjean on the way, and he also beat Thomas Johannson in Monte Carlo - but those were his major wins of the season. He is currently 109 on the Entry Ranking with a career high ranking of 84 a couple of years ago. He hasn't played at all yet this year so no form to go on - let's hope he is a bit "rusty" and lacking in practice and match sharpness!! Vamos Juan :) -

Nathaliia
01-13-2006, 06:17 PM
Lisnard is unfriendly, rude
and now he plays for... Monaco (changed nationality to the *right* one :lol: )

*Ljubica*
01-14-2006, 10:52 AM
Lisnard is unfriendly, rude
and now he plays for... Monaco (changed nationality to the *right* one :lol: )

Yes - that's pretty much what I heard too :devil: Anyway - they won't play til Tuesday - so have another few days to wait!

Neely
01-15-2006, 10:16 AM
Lisnard can be a fiesty player, but I think he can win this first round, beat him! :yeah:

*Ljubica*
01-16-2006, 07:43 AM
Here is tomorrow's OOP. This is a winnable match (Juan could have had a far worse draw) - so please focus and get a good result :)

Court 14 Start Time 11.00 AM
Women's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Maret Ani (EST)
vs. Gisela Dulko (ARG)[31]

followed by
Iveta Benesova (CZE)
vs. Rika Fujiwara (JPN)

Men's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Jean-Rene Lisnard (FRA)
vs. JUAN MONACO (ARG)

Maria Vento-Kabchi (VEN)
vs. Sofia Arvidsson (SWE)

justClaudia
01-16-2006, 08:59 AM
I think Juan can beat him.
Good luck kid! :yeah:

DhammaTiger
01-16-2006, 12:20 PM
Vamos y Buena Suerte Juan :yeah:

Sommarsverige
01-16-2006, 08:01 PM
Vamos Juan :yeah:

*Ljubica*
01-17-2006, 03:58 AM
Well I got up to find he has lost the first set :sad: so doesn't look too good. Lisnard may be a pretty average player, but from watching the scoreboard he seems to have a pretty good serve, and like a lot of primarily clay court players (even ones as good as Ferrero and Coria) Juan has problems returning BIG serves :rolleyes: so he may have problems - but it's not over yet - hope it's over before I leave for work though :devil: .

Björki
01-17-2006, 05:54 AM
Pico wins 4-6, 6-2, 6-4, 6-3 :yeah: :banana:

*Ljubica*
01-17-2006, 05:56 AM
OK - I was wrong - HE WON :banana:
Score was 3-6, 6-2, 6-4, 6-3. I am really thrilled :bounce: :bounce:

Well done Juanito :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

*Ljubica*
01-17-2006, 05:58 AM
Pico wins 4-6, 6-2, 6-4, 6-3 :yeah: :banana:
See we were thinking the same thing at the same time - bananas are dancng - now I must go - I am late for work :bolt:

Corina2605
01-17-2006, 06:21 AM
Congrats Juan, great win :) Keep winning!!!!

Sommarsverige
01-17-2006, 06:26 AM
Juan :bigclap: :yeah:
I am so happy that he has won :banana:

justClaudia
01-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Juanito!! :banana: :banana:
Oh I'm so happy for him. To come from a set down - I'm sure he put up a good fight.

Good Job, Pico! :D

*Ljubica*
01-17-2006, 11:36 AM
Juan will also be playing doubles in Melbourne this year. He is partnering Spanish payer Albert Montañes and they play tomorrow. Here is the OOP:

Court 14 Start Time 11.00 AM

Women's Doubles - 1st Rnd.
Na Li (CHN)/ Shuai Peng (CHN) vs. Ma. Emilia Salerni (ARG)/ Milagros Sequera (VEN)

Women's Doubles - 1st Rnd.
Eleni Daniilidou (GRE)[15]/ Anabel Medina Garrigues (ESP)[15] vs. Michaella Krajicek (NED)/ Agnes Szavay (HUN)

Men's Doubles - 1st Rnd.
Juan Monaco (ARG)/ Albert Montanes (ESP) vs. Jonathan Erlich (ISR)[6]/ Andy Ram (ISR)[6]

Men's Doubles - 1st Rnd.
Davide Sanguinetti (ITA)/ Potito Starace (ITA) vs. Mariusz Fyrstenberg (POL)/ Marcin Matkowski (POL)

justClaudia
01-17-2006, 12:39 PM
Good to know. Thanks Rosie.:D
Good luck for the doubles, Juanito.

Neely
01-17-2006, 02:49 PM
Good win for him! :yeah:
He seemed to start slow by losing the first set, but good to know that he resettled and won three sets in the following. I think that was okay! :)

Damn, Grosjean will be another number :( That's much more difficult, he seemed to play well today against Philippoussis :sad:

Papakori
01-17-2006, 03:18 PM
well done :)

*Ljubica*
01-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Good win for him! :yeah:
He seemed to start slow by losing the first set, but good to know that he resettled and won three sets in the following. I think that was okay! :)

Damn, Grosjean will be another number :( That's much more difficult, he seemed to play well today against Philippoussis :sad:
Yes - I think Grosjean will be too hard for him, but I won't be disappointed with a loss to a player of Grosjean's experience and calibre, whereas I would have been sad to see him lose to Lisnard. It's matches against players ranked below him or around the same place like Lisnard that Juan should be winning as he establishes himself - as long as he plays well against Seb that is all I hope for.

Sommarsverige
01-17-2006, 07:31 PM
Good luck for your next macht, Juan :yeah:

I really hope that he maybe will have a chance, would be a dream :inlove:
Me would love to see him on ES at the weekend ;)

justClaudia
01-17-2006, 09:51 PM
Grosjean is gonna be very complicated to Juan, he's older, experienced and all that.

But like Birte said, it would be a dream if he could have a chance - and I think he has, a tiny one, but he has. Anything can happen - and I'm sure Juan will try his best.
Good luck, Juan. :bounce:

Action Jackson
01-17-2006, 09:58 PM
He did what he needed to do against Lisnard and it's already an improvement on last year.

*Ljubica*
01-18-2006, 05:01 AM
Juan and his partner lost their doubles' match 3-6, 2-6 to Erlich and Ram from Israel :sad: I don't really follow the doubles' game, but I believe they are a very good, highly-ranked team - so this was no disgrace. So now concentrate on singles Juan - let's hope you can have a good match against Grosjean. And as GWH says - it is already an improvement on last year where he never passed the 1st round of a Slam...............In fact I was happy to see Juan is currently Number 48 in the Champions Race :) And yes I know the Race means nothing at this stage of the season - but it looked good :p

Björki
01-18-2006, 06:12 AM
Thurday OOP MCA Start Time 11.00 AM

Olivier Rochus (BEL)[24] vs. Peter Luczak (AUS)
Sebastien Grosjean (FRA)[25] vs. Juan Monaco (ARG)

vamos Juan

*Ljubica*
01-18-2006, 09:09 AM
Thurday OOP MCA Start Time 11.00 AM

Olivier Rochus (BEL)[24] vs. Peter Luczak (AUS)
Sebastien Grosjean (FRA)[25] vs. Juan Monaco (ARG)

vamos Juan

Thanks Peggy This is the worst time for me - about 3.00am start :eek: Hope it will be a good match :)

justClaudia
01-18-2006, 10:00 AM
Horrible time - no way I can see it. :(
Thanks for the info, Peggy. :hug:

And Vamos Juan!:D

DhammaTiger
01-18-2006, 07:28 PM
Yes definite improvement in his performance over last year. but I think that grosjean has much more experience. Anyway being optimistic there can alway an upset. Vamos y buena suerte for today Juans

reiko
01-19-2006, 01:22 AM
If he could beat Ferrer on clay, he can beat Grosjean in Melbourne.
Vamos, Juan!

*Ljubica*
01-19-2006, 05:07 AM
Well he didn't beat Grosjean :sad: but it was a good match, and Juan has nothing to be ashamed of. The score was 4-6, 3-6, 3-6. I was somewhat shocked to get up and find them showing the match on British Eurosport :) But it was good to see because our commentators were full of praise for Juan. They said he had played well and fought well all the way - but in the end Grosjean was "too experienced" on hard courts for him. It was a nice match to watch played in a good sporting spirit. So good luck to Juan for getting further in a Grand Slam event than he did last year, and for trying so hard, - and all the best to Grosjean for the rest of the tournament.

Björki
01-19-2006, 05:50 AM
I am sorry he lost but it was a good tourney anyway.
I only saw one game when he broke back in the third set.

Neely
01-19-2006, 03:24 PM
I was suprised they showed the complete 3rd set :) It looked as if Monaco felt that he couldn't do consistently enough demage against Grosjean from the baseline because Grosjean's defense was quite good. I guess that's why Juan appeared relatively often at the net, but unfortunately most of the volleys and his net play not good, he missed many chances and good possibilities there :( But I liked that he tried attacking the net from time to time. I agree with Rosie's impressions and I can only subscribe that his attitude was very positive and that he did not surrender one single point without fight the whole time out there. It was a brave match of him that makes appetite for more of him to come in future. :cool:

*Ljubica*
01-19-2006, 05:02 PM
I was suprised they showed the complete 3rd set :) It looked as if Monaco felt that he couldn't do consistently enough demage against Grosjean from the baseline because Grosjean's defense was quite good. I guess that's why Juan appeared relatively often at the net, but unfortunately most of the volleys and his net play not good, he missed many chances and good possibilities there :( But I liked that he tried attacking the net from time to time. I agree with Rosie's impressions and I can only subscribe that his attitude was very positive and that he did not surrender one single point without fight the whole time out there. It was a brave match of him that makes appetite for more of him to come in future. :cool:
I agree with what you say Neely - especially about the net play! It actually made me smile, because our commentators are always normally urging people to move to the net (guess that's because England is a country that worships serve and volley and the grass court style!) - but today they kept on saying - "Mónaco should really stay back!" LOL! :p I guess he was advised to try and mix it up a lot because Grosjean is so steady and consistent and his defence is excellent. I know that he is working hard on becoming less of a "clay court specialist" and more of an all-court player (it is something his new coach is very keen on), and this is part of that strategy. Today it didn't work but he can only learn with practice, and trying new things wll help him grow and mature into a better player.

justClaudia
01-19-2006, 07:43 PM
I saw the 3th set complete :eek: and I was really surprised they showed it.
Anyway, I'm sorry the he lost - but I think we all saw it coming. And like you all said, and very well, he has nothing to be ashamed of - his attitude was very positive. :yeah:
Juan hopefully will learn from this experince - and improve his game, which I'm sure he will.:D

Neely
01-23-2006, 08:57 PM
Does somebody know if Juan is back to South America already preparing for the upcoming tournaments, like Vina del Mar next week?

*Ljubica*
01-24-2006, 05:13 AM
Does somebody know if Juan is back to South America already preparing for the upcoming tournaments, like Vina del Mar next week?
Yes he is - and will go to Viña on Thursday this week :)