Will Monfils win a match at Kooyang? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will Monfils win a match at Kooyang?

henree
12-29-2005, 05:46 AM
There is some tough competition there. Anyone think he can possibly win a match? If he fails miserably facing such high caliber opponents, will this affect his psyche for the up and coming Aussie Open?

The Safinator
12-29-2005, 06:01 AM
No. I think that Gael won't win a match, but this will not take an affect for the AO

~EMiLiTA~
12-29-2005, 06:24 AM
i didn't know he was playing this tournament

btw it's kooyong not kooyang

prima donna
12-29-2005, 06:42 AM
Gael seems to be somewhat of an "enigma" at this present moment, showing plenty of promise and talent last year, his debut in the big leagues and presently ranked at #31, I believe it is ?

One cannot complain, nor accuse the Frenchman of lack of progression, Gael has been the most successful of any of the true newcomers and that includes Djokovic, whom in my humble opinion is extremely overrated, Gael has also eclipsed the likes of Andy Murray and numerous other favorites of many on tour.

I don't see why Monfils can't win a match at Kooyong, realistically speaking, he is the most physically mature of the youngsters (including Gasquet) and the only real weakness in his game is at times poor point construction or remaining in defensive mode (playing too far behind the baseline).

On the flip side, the 2nd set thrasing that he fell victim to at the hands of Ivan Ljubicic (6-0) was quite disturbing, but aside from that, there's not much negative to say about him.

Need I suggest that instead of doubting young players that haven't been given the opportunity to prove themselves and their skills against accomplished players we view their progression ? It's only decent to receive them with optimism.

amierin
12-29-2005, 06:48 AM
Why not? I think he will.

The Safinator
12-29-2005, 06:51 AM
We'll see...

juanito7
12-29-2005, 09:09 AM
I think he can win some matches, against coria or Haas, i think he can do well...

Agassi Aces
12-29-2005, 09:12 AM
I would love to see Monfils face Agassi. What a battle, and Monfils may even come out on top. A lot of players now are not scared to face Agassi and hit every ball harder than Andre sadly. We'll see!!

Nathaliia
12-29-2005, 09:23 AM
Forgive me my neverending ignorance, I don't know who is really playing in this exhibition apart from Gael, but I believe in this kid, he has got an incredible fighting spirit, and yes – it is interesting how it happens that he is not more aggressive while ball exchanges. However, I sometimes cannot find the words of grace for him winning straight a ball from deep defense. Anyway his physical conditions predistinate him to have other type of game included, even attacking at the net, because this is what he can do, plus let's not forget how fast he is.

Nathaliia
12-29-2005, 09:24 AM
On the flip side, the 2nd set thrasing that he fell victim to at the hands of Ivan Ljubicic (6-0) was quite disturbing, but aside from that, there's not much negative to say about him.

He had at least three injuries that time and I thought he would have retired. He played 'till the end because it was “at home”, but didn't win many points in that set, really...

sigmagirl91
12-29-2005, 09:26 AM
Sure, Monfils can win at KOOYANG, but will anyone be there to see him?

ClaycourtaZzZz.
12-29-2005, 11:41 AM
He will beat Federer.:)

Loremaster
12-29-2005, 12:13 PM
Gael seems to be somewhat of an "enigma" at this present moment, showing plenty of promise and talent last year, his debut in the big leagues and presently ranked at #31, I believe it is ?

One cannot complain, nor accuse the Frenchman of lack of progression, Gael has been the most successful of any of the true newcomers and that includes Djokovic, whom in my humble opinion is extremely overrated, Gael has also eclipsed the likes of Andy Murray and numerous other favorites of many on tour.

I don't see why Monfils can't win a match at Kooyong, realistically speaking, he is the most physically mature of the youngsters (including Gasquet) and the only real weakness in his game is at times poor point construction or remaining in defensive mode (playing too far behind the baseline).

Need I suggest that instead of doubting young players that haven't been given the opportunity to prove themselves and their skills against accomplished players we view their progression ? It's only decent to receive them with optimism.

You are not right he wasn't most successfull of newcomers , Gasquet is much better and is ranked he is 17th in entry and lost end of the season because of injury , had better run at slams and masters series event. Richard is two or three class better than Monfils. He is only forehand and serve but this combination does not work these days. And Richard can create magical strokes ( for exmaple that backhand return against Ginepri at USOpen ). Gasquet has tools to be no.1 in the future(if he stays healthy ) and can't say that baout Monfils for me he is could be Top15 player but his game in far more less uniwersal than game of Murray, Nadal, Gasquet. Marcos or Djokovic
so he is not most succesfull of youngsters.

And in my opinion it depends with whom he will be playing , he could win with Coria for example and maybe Hass but against others I predict straight sets loss

Loremaster
12-29-2005, 12:22 PM
By the wat Berdych is also most succesfulll than Monfils, he has TM shield and wins over Top10 players(Federer , Ljubicic) and his higher in rankings :)

Experimentee
12-29-2005, 12:59 PM
I dont see why he cant win a match, if he plays well. He's done extremely well already in his first full year on tour, so theres no reason to doubt his progression. Since he is the underdog, of course losing the matches wont affect him. Kooyong is more about getting match preparation rather than a tournament victory.

There have been worse players playing Kooyong before, like Ginepri, and he wasnt affected by losing every match.

Experimentee
12-29-2005, 01:05 PM
By the wat Berdych is also most succesfulll than Monfils, he has TM shield and wins over Top10 players(Federer , Ljubicic) and his higher in rankings :)

Gasquet and Berdych arent really newcomers in a strict sense, they were already on the ATP tour a year or two before Monfils, Djokovic, Murray etc.

Loremaster
12-29-2005, 01:14 PM
no no., Gasquet played this year he was troubled by injuries so it was his first real season for Berdych you are right :)

richard gasquet
12-29-2005, 02:05 PM
no no., Gasquet played this year he was troubled by injuries so it was his first real season for Berdych you are right :)

richard played on 2004 some tournaments on the main Tour(Metz,Luxembourg,Palerme)but he wasnt on good shape yet.Now he will just progress to the top.

Gael has lot of qualities that can make him top10 in the futur.

Yeah.2 French in the top10,nice for me lol :angel:

The Safinator
12-29-2005, 03:02 PM

Because the other players are better and he's too young

prima donna
12-29-2005, 04:02 PM
You are not right he wasn't most successfull of newcomers , Gasquet is much better and is ranked he is 17th in entry and lost end of the season because of injury , had better run at slams and masters series event. Richard is two or three class better than Monfils. He is only forehand and serve but this combination does not work these days. And Richard can create magical strokes ( for exmaple that backhand return against Ginepri at USOpen ). Gasquet has tools to be no.1 in the future(if he stays healthy ) and can't say that baout Monfils for me he is could be Top15 player but his game in far more less uniwersal than game of Murray, Nadal, Gasquet. Marcos or Djokovic
so he is not most succesfull of youngsters.

And in my opinion it depends with whom he will be playing , he could win with Coria for example and maybe Hass but against others I predict straight sets loss

Nadal and Gasquet aren't new to the tour, neither is Baghdatis and Djokovic is he even ranked in the Top 50? :rolleyes:

They are young in age, but not newcomers.

World Beater
12-29-2005, 09:17 PM
Nadal and Gasquet aren't new to the tour, neither is Baghdatis and Djokovic is he even ranked in the Top 50? :rolleyes:

They are young in age, but not newcomers.

when one loos at potential, one always looks at their weapons and what they can develop.

monfils is raw but he is athletic, big fh, nice serve and a solid backhand. he can develop his shots.

djokovic and baggy are solid, but they dont have any standout weapons.

same thing with murray.

The Safinator
01-12-2006, 11:12 AM
and how do u think now??? tomorow monfils is gonna to play with ljubicic

prima donna
01-12-2006, 04:11 PM
and how do u think now??? tomorow monfils is gonna to play with ljubicic

I would only expect such a display of complete and utter brilliance, personified by grace, humility and class from someone that calls themself "The Safinator"

Well done.

The Safinator
01-12-2006, 04:40 PM
I would only expect such a display of complete and utter brilliance, personified by grace, humility and class from someone that calls themself "The Safinator"

Well done.

1st - "The Safinator" is just my nickname, i don't call myself "The Safinator".

and 2nd - wtf is ur problem? :rolleyes:

prima donna
01-12-2006, 04:44 PM
1st - "The Safinator" is just my nickname, i don't call myself "The Safinator".

and 2nd - wtf is ur problem? :rolleyes:

How many matches has Marat won this year or at the Kooyong Classic by the way ? 2 can play this game.

Lleytonisthebest
01-12-2006, 04:49 PM
ooo it's not a matter of problem, did u forget that for primma donna just one player in the worls is good and the others( from n°2 to n°1500 ) are just the same- talentless and classless

The Safinator
01-12-2006, 04:55 PM
How many matches has Marat won this year or at the Kooyong Classic by the way ? 2 can play this game.

guy, the topis is not "how many matches has MArat won this year". I've just say that Monfils will not win a match at Kooyong Cl. but the majority says that monfils will win a match... that´s all :)