help me clear this out (tennis rules) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

help me clear this out (tennis rules)

diegogg
12-29-2005, 12:29 AM
Hello everyone.

Ok, so we all know that the player who starts serving in a set is the one who was receiving in the last game of the last set, but my question is: what if the last set was decided by a tiebreak??? I would think that the player who was receiving on the last point would serve first, but watching matches I've realised that its not always so, I suspect that maybe if you served the last point in the TB but it was only the first of your 2 serves then you would serve first in the set, otherwise I got no idea how it is decided, I hope someone can help me out, any help will be very appreciatted ;) .

Thank you.

Deboogle!.
12-29-2005, 12:32 AM
It's the person who received the FIRST point in the tiebreak that gets to start serving in the next set :)

cobalt60
12-29-2005, 12:34 AM
It's the person who received the FIRST point in the tiebreak that gets to start serving in the next set :)
You are a plethora of information!! I did not know that :D

Deboogle!.
12-29-2005, 12:36 AM
I'm 100% sure I learned that somewhere on this board asking the same thing at some point in a scoring thread or something :lol:

And if you think about it, it makes sense, b/c the person who receives first in the TB is the person who served at 5-6... so I suppose you could look at it that way as well ;):):p

sigmagirl91
12-29-2005, 12:38 AM
Interesting tidbit....thanks.

diegogg
12-29-2005, 12:56 AM
Thank you very much Debstah!!!!

Deboogle!.
12-29-2005, 12:58 AM
You are most welcome! :)

FaceyFacem
12-29-2005, 03:03 AM
yeah, it switches the order of serves...if you or your team served 1st in the set, and then you go to a tiebreak, the next set you receive first

NyGeL
12-29-2005, 03:31 AM

totally right... thanks to Guillermo Salatino who always answer my questions :)