The fifth "most-hated" sportsman in Argentina is... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The fifth "most-hated" sportsman in Argentina is...

Hokit
12-28-2005, 10:55 PM
Lleyton Hewitt :eek:

Surprising, really. I didn't think the clashes at Davis Cup and the Australian Open had such an impact. It's hardly newsworthy in Australia, so I would've thought the same for Argentina.

I wonder how the Aussie tennis fans will react when the Argentines take to court this coming January.

David Beckham's number 3, btw. Seems like the infamous 1998 World Cup kick still hasn't been entirely forgiven by Argentinian soccer fans.

Source: Leo Schlink, "The fifth most-hated sports figure in Argentina", Herald Sun, 29/12/2005, p.97.

kali_puerta_fan
12-28-2005, 11:03 PM
yup...read that 2...no big surprise...:lol: My guess is not only in Argentina...talented but what a shitty atitude sometimes...
Anyway..who else did you expect? Tennis has become a national sport lately in Argentina, and the victory over Australia in the DC I'm sure influenced this decision...:yeah:

kyleskywalker007
12-28-2005, 11:06 PM
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Lleyton? Poor of him! Ok, heīs not the most loved tennis player in the world, but, is him so annoying as to be called the 5th most hated sportamn of Argentina?

shotgun
12-28-2005, 11:21 PM
Hewitt is already the 3rd in the poll. :lol:

shotgun
12-28-2005, 11:28 PM
Pretty ironical that they put Joao Havelange on the list, when he was the man that granted Argentina the right to host the World Cup in 1978 (which they ended up winning), despite the political crisis they were facing at the time.

Socket
12-28-2005, 11:40 PM
The Argies are just jealous of a world-class tennis player who can stay in the top 5 while not doping. :angel:

AR#1
12-28-2005, 11:56 PM
Sadly, I think Lleyton Hewitt is, ahem, strongly disliked in many countries.

sigmagirl91
12-29-2005, 12:08 AM
Who the hell cares about the fifth most-hated person when you have four personalities who are more hated and reviled by the public?

ReturnWinner
12-29-2005, 12:12 AM
jaja jealous of that racist ? hahaha
that racist has told racist comments about argentines and had problems with coria nalbandian chela and massa
no a big surprise

The Argies are just jealous of a world-class tennis player who can stay in the top 5 while not doping. :angel:

cobalt60
12-29-2005, 12:14 AM
Who the hell cares about the fifth most-hated person when you have four personalities who are more hated and reviled by the public?
And I was just about to post and ask who the top 4 are? :p

shotgun
12-29-2005, 12:18 AM
that racist has told racist comments about argentines and had problems with coria nalbandian chela and massa
no a big surprise

What was his problem with Massa?

sigmagirl91
12-29-2005, 12:20 AM

I don't know. :shrug:

Federerthebest
12-29-2005, 12:21 AM
The Argies are just jealous of a world-class tennis player who can stay in the top 5 while not doping.

:lol: Exactly.

shotgun
12-29-2005, 12:22 AM

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,17680350%255E11088,00.html

Socket
12-29-2005, 12:22 AM
no a big surprise
:scared: 'ROID RAGE!!!! 'ROID RAGE!!!! :scared:

cobalt60
12-29-2005, 12:28 AM
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,17680350%255E11088,00.html
Thanks so much! :)

Bad Religion
12-29-2005, 12:29 AM
They don't know anything about tennis

amierin
12-29-2005, 01:09 AM
And I thought the posters on MTF were a rough crowd. That article is making sure the Aussies remember who the enemy is during the Oz Open isn't it?

Caralimon
12-29-2005, 02:00 AM
It is a five-choice poll, he would have been there anyways.

Kristen
12-29-2005, 02:48 AM
:awww: Poor Lleyton is a victim here! :hug:
So what if he plays like he’s the only guy on court, and his opponent is inferior to him :retard:

Kristen
12-29-2005, 02:50 AM
PS. Go Argentina! :woohoo:
Surprising that they can be bothered to run a story OTHER than one about Kerry Packer :sad:

Denaon
12-29-2005, 02:53 AM
Bullshit, Hewitt is neither liked nor disliked...I dunno where you took that information from. You ask any average argentine, and they'll never name Hewitt.

and about the dopping issue, I will :tape:

Denaon
12-29-2005, 02:55 AM
It is a five-choice poll, he would have been there anyways.
Oh....:retard: Then if the choice would have been Guga instead of Hewitt, then Kuerten would be the fifth most hated sportsman in Argentina....again where did this poll's information come from?

NyGeL
12-29-2005, 03:14 AM
probably more than 80% of argentineans have no idea who's hewitt. Even that greek referee, lol, who knows him??? that poll is bullshit hahahaha

Bad Religion
12-29-2005, 03:52 AM
probably more than 80% of argentineans have no idea who's hewitt. Even that greek referee, lol, who knows him??? that poll is bullshit hahahaha

I'm remember that referee , Pisilkas , hehehe . The Argentine Basket Team was stolen by Pisilkas in Indianapolis 2002 , without doubts

Was a tremendous foul against Hugo Sconochini

Yo me acuerdo de ese delicuente vestido de arbitro y no soy argentino

Carito_90
12-29-2005, 03:58 AM
Surprise? :lol: Yeah right.

NyGeL
12-29-2005, 05:34 AM
I'm remember that referee , Pisilkas , hehehe . The Argentine Basket Team was stolen by Pisilkas in Indianapolis 2002 , without doubts

Was a tremendous foul against Hugo Sconochini

Yo me acuerdo de ese delicuente vestido de arbitro y no soy argentino

of course I remember the situation, I watched that match. But ask me that referee name tomorrow, and I will have no idea.

The Safinator
12-29-2005, 06:03 AM
My guess is not only in Argentina
me 2 :devil:

Hola Mr. SK
12-29-2005, 08:16 AM
That article is making sure the Aussies remember who the enemy is during the Oz Open isn't it?
:scared:that wud be bad:scared:
anyways, the poll sucks!

Truc
12-29-2005, 08:21 AM
Oh....:retard: Then if the choice would have been Guga instead of Hewitt, then Kuerten would be the fifth most hated sportsman in Argentina....again where did this poll's information come from?I think it's just a stupid poll on the website of "La Nacion":
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportiva/topten.asp?tema_id=23&nota_id=767812&origen=ranking
I can't believe there are articles about this in the "Herald Sun", it's completely meaningless! As Caralimon said, it's a five-choice poll anyway.

DrJules
12-29-2005, 08:24 AM

:cuckoo:

yomike
12-29-2005, 10:12 AM
Shocked no but I'm surprise his not number one.

Grass is for Federer's cows.
His Juliette is in heat now.
So why don't you fellow cows
Go and @#$5 her now

jazz_girl
12-29-2005, 10:20 AM
Bullshit, Hewitt is neither liked nor disliked...I dunno where you took that information from. You ask any average argentine, and they'll never name Hewitt.

and about the dopping issue, I will :tape:
Yeah :lol: I don't think anyone know who Hewitt is here, at least no one who doesn't watch tennis.
But since tennis was important this year, they had to name someone, and since Roger is liked by everyone and Rafa didn't bother anyone, they went with Hewitt who had a problem with Coria, it's ok...

Neely
12-29-2005, 12:08 PM
:banana: Go Lleyton! :angel:

Silawen
12-29-2005, 12:20 PM
I love how the article focuses only on the crimes the Argies commited, whilst Hewitt's bad behaviour was completely ignored. Such class. *eyeroll*

They're making a problem out of nothing.

R.Federer
12-29-2005, 12:51 PM
Well, I am not sure leyton would care too much

If he was the 5th most hated in Australia then maybe this would matter to him (Btw, I do not think he is the most popular sports person in Australia either, but I do not believe he is reviled there)

Experimentee
12-29-2005, 01:17 PM
The article only mentions the Argentines' bad behaviour but not Hewitt's :rolleyes:
Herald Sun is a tabloid anyway, it just exists to create sensationalist headlines that just appeal to emotions with little substance. I still read it though :o

adee-gee
12-29-2005, 01:23 PM
David Beckham's number 3, btw. Seems like the infamous 1998 World Cup kick still hasn't been entirely forgiven by Argentinian soccer fans.
:banana:

Deboogle!.
12-29-2005, 01:26 PM
Two things intrigue me about this:

1. Argentina actually takes a poll of most-hated sportsmen in the country
2. Australia cares enough about the poll to publish a story about it

:lol:

Socket
12-29-2005, 01:51 PM
Congratulations Lleyton on successfully making our country look like a bunch of obnoxious twats to an entire nation. Well Done. Just please don't make another toilet paper ad.
Actually, some of the Aussie posters here on MTF accomplish that, and to the world at large. :p :p Lleyton, on the other hand, makes you guys look like fighters.

Silawen
12-29-2005, 01:54 PM
Oh, he's a fighter alright, whether or not he fights fair...that's another matter.

adee-gee
12-29-2005, 01:54 PM
Actually, some of the Aussie posters here on MTF accomplish that.
:haha: you can't make a comment like that without naming them :p

Fergie
12-29-2005, 02:04 PM
What a surprise :lol:

fangirl
12-29-2005, 02:07 PM
Actually, some of the Aussie posters here on MTF accomplish that, and to the world at large. :p :p Lleyton, on the other hand, makes you guys look like fighters.

Actually, the Socceroos do a much finer job as making us look like fighters :)

Socket
12-29-2005, 02:19 PM
:haha: you can't make a comment like that without naming them :p
I won't have to, you'll be able to tell from their responses. ;)

adee-gee
12-29-2005, 02:23 PM
I won't have to, you'll be able to tell from their responses. ;)
:lol: that was such a cop-out :sad:

Socket
12-29-2005, 02:55 PM
:lol: that was such a cop-out :sad:
Aren't you the little instigator? (I knew there was something I liked about you!) ;) But it's so much more fun to let certain people make fools of themselves. :devil:

FanOfHewitt
12-29-2005, 03:09 PM
Actually, the Socceroos do a much finer job as making us look like fighters :)

ROFLMAO@Mark Vidukappoussis and the Socerroos making us look like fighters. You've got to be kidding.

Hewitt has a bigger heart than the whole Socceroos team combined. He is by far the biggest fighter in Australian sport. We haven't had a fighter like him since the likes of Jeff Fenech and Steve Waugh.

By the way Fenech is on trial tomorrow for stealing some watches from a jewlerry store, lol.

Socket
12-29-2005, 03:37 PM
ROFLMAO@Mark Vidukappoussis and the Socerroos making us look like fighters. You've got to be kidding.

Hewitt has a bigger heart than the whole Socceroos team combined. He is by far the biggest fighter in Australian sport. We haven't had a fighter like him since the likes of Jeff Fenech and Steve Waugh.

By the way Fenech is on trial tomorrow for stealing some watches from a jewlerry store, lol.
I have no idea who or what the Socceroos are, but :yeah: anyway!

adee-gee
12-29-2005, 03:41 PM
I have no idea who or what the Socceroos are, but :yeah: anyway!
The Australian football (soccer) team ;)

alfonsojose
12-29-2005, 04:45 PM
:scared: 'ROID RAGE!!!! 'ROID RAGE!!!! :scared:
:tape:

Raquel
12-29-2005, 05:17 PM
So what if he plays like he’s the only guy on court, and his opponent is inferior to him :retard:
His opponents usually are inferior, considering he's spent the best part of the decade in the top 3. And surely it's obvious that it's his attitude that has got him to where he is. It's competitive sport. Going out there and thinking the opponent is superior before a match will get you nowhere.

star
12-29-2005, 05:27 PM
Lleyton Hewitt :eek:

Surprising, really. I didn't think the clashes at Davis Cup and the Australian Open had such an impact. It's hardly newsworthy in Australia, so I would've thought the same for Argentina.

I wonder how the Aussie tennis fans will react when the Argentines take to court this coming January.

Source: Leo Schlink, "The fifth most-hated sports figure in Argentina", Herald Sun, 29/12/2005, p.97.

The Aussie fans will react just fine to all the players from Argentina. In general, the Aussie fans are among the most sporting in the world.

Anyway, probably most of them could care less that Hewitt is the 5th most hated athlete in Argentina. :D

Deboogle!.
12-29-2005, 05:31 PM
His opponents usually are inferior, considering he's spent the best part of the decade in the top 3. And surely it's obvious that it's his attitude that has got him to where he is. It's competitive sport. Going out there and thinking the opponent is superior before a match will get you nowhere.Just to be clear, going on court being confident and thinking you'll win and thinking you're a better player than the other guy is not the same as going out and belittling and disrespecting your opponent and treating them as though they were an inferior COMPETITOR.

Raquel
12-29-2005, 05:31 PM
And I thought the posters on MTF were a rough crowd. That article is making sure the Aussies remember who the enemy is during the Oz Open isn't it?
I don't really think the paper writing this article needs to do much reminding. If you do the crime, you can't expect it to be brushed under the carpet and forgotten. Spitting and several drug bans deserve any criticism they get.

Raquel
12-29-2005, 05:38 PM
Just to be clear, going on court being confident and thinking you'll win and thinking you're a better player than the other guy is not the same as going out and belittling and disrespecting your opponent and treating them as though they were an inferior COMPETITOR.
I don't think I need anything cleared up. I don't think Lleyton belittles and disrespects opponents as much as some people make out. Compared to someone like Jimmy Connors who really did belittle opponents and enjoy it, Lleyton's an angel.

And very often players are inferior competitors than Lleyton. It's not a case of treating them as inferior. They just are inferior.

Socket
12-29-2005, 05:38 PM
Just to be clear, going on court being confident and thinking you'll win and thinking you're a better player than the other guy is not the same as going out and belittling and disrespecting your opponent and treating them as though they were an inferior COMPETITOR.
I think that taking a 10 minute "toilet" break in the middle of a match, and then yelling at the official who comes to get you and sarcastically asking him to tie your shoe, certainly falls into the latter category. That's certainly disrespecting your opponent (as well as the official).

:angel: :angel:

Deboogle!.
12-29-2005, 05:41 PM
I think that taking a 10 minute "toilet" break in the middle of a match, and then yelling at the official who comes to get you and sarcastically asking him to tie your shoe, certainly falls into the latter category. That's certainly disrespecting your opponent (as well as the official).

:angel: :angel:I didn't say I was talking about Hewitt, though nice of you to make it personal (and the big difference and the reason why what you said makes no point is that no one ever said what Andy did was right or sporting or at all a good thing to do and in fact he admits it was stupid, whereas many Hewitt fans don't think his behavior is unsporting at all.). I was merely saying there are different ways of trying to express superiority, since Raquel seemed to be meshing them all together. Hewitt's characteristics as a fighter and his mental strength are totally unrelated to why he would have been voted in this stupid poll, that is my opinion.

Sorry, but your bait about Andy won't work, I don't sink to the level of people here anymore :)

Socket
12-29-2005, 05:45 PM
I didn't say I was talking about Hewitt, though nice of you to make it personal. I was merely saying there are different ways of trying to express superiority, since Raquel seemed to be meshing them all together. Hewitt's characteristics as a fighter and his mental strength are totally unrelated to why he would have been voted in this stupid poll, that is my opinion.

Sorry, but your bait about Andy won't work, I don't sink to the level of people here anymore :)
You've made enough comments about Lleyton to make it obvious that you had him in mind. And I'm not baiting you, I'm simply stating a fact: Andy displayed horrible sportsmanship in that match and was disrespectful toward Lleyton, the officials, and the fans.

Deboogle!.
12-29-2005, 05:55 PM
You've made enough comments about Lleyton to make it obvious that you had him in mind. And I'm not baiting you, I'm simply stating a fact: Andy displayed horrible sportsmanship in that match and was disrespectful toward Lleyton, the officials, and the fans.Of course I had him in mind, this is a thread about him. lol. You are still missing the point: my only point with my original post is that there is a difference between going out and being confident and between consistently treating opponents as inferior and I interpreted Raquel's post as considering them to be one in the same. If that's not what was originally meant, then it was my fault for misinterpreting. I thought it was important to mention that a player, including Hewitt, can be very confident, even perhaps overly so, but not disrespectful (Federer comes to mind). And that no one really has a problem with overt confidence but the disrespect. But I wasn't about specific instances of Hewitt's or anyone else's behavior, which is what you chose to turn it into. If you wanted to interpret that as an attack on Hewitt, I really don't care. Unlike most of MTF, I have better things to do than just rag on players that aren't among my faves. And on that note, I said what I wanted to, so I will leave now.

:wavey:

Socket
12-29-2005, 06:00 PM
Of course I had him in mind, this is a thread about him. lol. You are still missing the point: my only point with my original post is that there is a difference between going out and being confident and between consistently treating opponents as inferior and I interpreted Raquel's post as considering them to be one in the same. If that's not what was originally meant, then it was my fault for misinterpreting. I thought it was important to mention that a player, including Hewitt, can be very confident, even perhaps overly so, but not disrespectful (Federer comes to mind). And that no one really has a problem with overt confidence but the disrespect. But I wasn't about specific instances of Hewitt's or anyone else's behavior, which is what you chose to turn it into. If you wanted to interpret that as an attack on Hewitt, I really don't care. Unlike most of MTF, I have better things to do than just rag on players that aren't among my faves. And on that note, I said what I wanted to, so I will leave now.

:wavey:
Well, thanks for admitting that you WERE ragging on Lleyton. I just respond in kind when I see it. :wavey: :wavey:

And while we're on the subject, from tennisreporters.net

US Player Most Disliked By Many Euro Journalists: Andy Roddick, who's Americanized sense of humor and confrontational nature doesn't play well in Paris or Seville.

Silawen
12-29-2005, 06:22 PM
I'm glad to know Europe consists of Paris and Seville only. *eyeroll*

Dragula.mp3
12-29-2005, 06:57 PM
Well I know Hewitt and Beckham but who the heck are the others three?.
Hewitt and Beckham are just two punks, but we dont hate them y ni nos importa putearlos (se me escapa lo de hablar en espaņol, I HAVE TO WORK ON THAT).

gooner88
12-29-2005, 07:23 PM
Well I know Hewitt and Beckham but who the heck are the others three?.
Hewitt and Beckham are just two punks, but we dont hate them y ni nos importa putearlos (se me escapa lo de hablar en espaņol, I HAVE TO WORK ON THAT).

About Becks, he shouldn't have kicked Simeone right in front of the referee. :(
But Simeone made such a scene of it and Campbell's goal should've stood that night in St Etienne. :fiery:
That's my rant over...

Hokit
12-29-2005, 09:19 PM
The Aussie fans will react just fine to all the players from Argentina. In general, the Aussie fans are among the most sporting in the world.

Anyway, probably most of them could care less that Hewitt is the 5th most hated athlete in Argentina. :D

Oh, I'm well aware of that ;)

Despite the fanatics, Australian sports crowd are probably the most sporting in the world. You'd seldom hear anything about them taunting people who aren't Australian.

Generator
01-01-2006, 02:15 PM
David Beckham is obviously not regarded as a villain by Argentine sports fans. Even though he's mocked a lot due to his "spice boy" status, people also recognize him as a gentleman and respect him for that.

And before criticizing others, some Hewitt fans need to realize that they're supporting a person who has made racist and homophobic remarks in public. So much for the little aussie angel...

TennisGrandSlam
01-01-2006, 02:35 PM
Hewitt : C'mon

*Ljubica*
01-01-2006, 02:54 PM
About Becks, he shouldn't have kicked Simeone right in front of the referee. :(
But Simeone made such a scene of it and Campbell's goal should've stood that night in St Etienne. :fiery:
That's my rant over...

Maybe football fans in Argentina have the same view of Becks as most Brits feel towards "the hand of God" Maradona :devil: Like Generator says - Becks is pretty much a gentleman though - not the brightest button - but not in the same league as Hewitt if you're talking about brattish behaviour :devil:

gooner88
01-01-2006, 03:44 PM
Maybe football fans in Argentina have the same view of Becks as most Brits feel towards "the hand of God" Maradona :devil: Like Generator says - Becks is pretty much a gentleman though - not the brightest button - but not in the same league as Hewitt if you're talking about brattish behaviour :devil:

The rivalry between England and Argentina is so intense that they could've picked the whole England team in this poll if they could. :lol:
Becks is just the most famous of the lot.
Any bets on Rooney becoming the most hated sportsman in Argentina after the World Cup? :p

*Ljubica*
01-01-2006, 05:03 PM
The rivalry between England and Argentina is so intense that they could've picked the whole England team in this poll if they could. :lol:
Becks is just the most famous of the lot.
Any bets on Rooney becoming the most hated sportsman in Argentina after the World Cup? :p

Ah - but then I hate Rooney too :devil: :p

Gonzalo81
01-01-2006, 05:10 PM
I wansīt going to post anything in here...just a stupid poll that doesnīt mean anything...but just wanna say that the stupid journalist that wrote that article called the argie basketball team the "Pumas"...

Do some research, what an ignorant, thatīs our rugby team....thatīs it...

gooner88
01-01-2006, 05:21 PM
Ah - but then I hate Rooney too :devil: :p

Me too for obvious reasons. ;) :devil:

Gonzalo81
01-01-2006, 05:46 PM
Me too for obvious reasons. ;) :devil:

I really donīt wanna hate him ;) :rolls:

ExpectedWinner
01-01-2006, 07:49 PM
Nobody cares who's the fifth man in anything.

star
01-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Except for the fifth column. :)

shotgun
01-04-2006, 10:10 PM

Not really, considering the way most of them behaved in the WC qualifying play-off match against Uruguay in Sydney. :lol:

mojo37_12
01-04-2006, 11:44 PM
Lleyton is an ass... that is a proven truth. But in tennis like in modeling people love divas and assholes just as much as they enjoy watching the good guys. It is another weird fact of life. Deal!

revolution
01-05-2006, 12:46 AM
Codesal's decisions were correct in that game- complete bitterness.

shotgun
01-05-2006, 01:21 AM
Lleyton is an ass... that is a proven truth. But in tennis like in modeling people love divas and assholes just as much as they enjoy watching the good guys. It is another weird fact of life. Deal!

Wise words. ;)

mojo37_12
01-05-2006, 04:49 AM
Wise words. ;)

Thanks!