serve and volley [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

serve and volley

Rex
12-28-2005, 09:21 PM
i risk sounding a little dumb here.........but....

i just kinda wanted to know why has serve and volley play becoming extinct, i was gonna put it down to the racket changes but then their is of course, pete sampras,

and there are some really good players whom use this style , as you know henman-dent- myrnyi(sp?)- karlovic- ancic use this style.....and their pretty good in terms of rankings and matches won....

so my question becomes even the further complex

Deboogle!.
12-28-2005, 09:24 PM
Few reasons:
~racquet technology
~slowing down surfaces - even since Pete, Wimbledon has slowed, people allege them slowing the AO surface, etc.
~increased power makes it more difficult - serving 130-140 mph, it's a lot harder to get into the net behind it lol

I'm sure there are more, too, but those are the ones I read/hear about most often

Rex
12-28-2005, 09:26 PM
but surely if players are good at serve and volley, they should use it............

shouldnt they?.....

gooner88
12-28-2005, 09:27 PM
Fewer tourneys played these days on grass.
Alot of players return better these days; aided by the racket technology.
It's just easier to play from the baseline. More kids from a young age these days play almost exclusively from the baseline and don't diversify their games. Serve-volleyers generally take longer to mature because serve-volley tennis is more complex.
Just my opinion.....

Deboogle!.
12-28-2005, 09:29 PM
Yes, Rex, that would be the argument :lol: It's a style of play I like very much, so selfishly I'd love to see more players do it more :)

I mean, I don't think it's TOTALLY dead. Like you said, there are players that you listed who are doing well. Federer can serve-volley when he wants to. You also have players like Roddick who realize that he is more successful when he comes in behind his serve sometimes to mix it up, etc.

It's also just a frame of mind. Players have to be convinced to do it :lol:

Sue
12-28-2005, 10:22 PM
A serve and volley thread with no mention of Patrick Rafter ???

PATRICK RAFTER.

;-)

DrJules
12-28-2005, 10:59 PM
The increasing number of artificial surfaces with their perfect bounces have encouraged players to allow the ball to bounce and play from the baseline. Serve and volley historically was a way of avoiding bad bounces on natural surfaces.

BlackSilver
12-28-2005, 11:10 PM
The increasing number of artificial surfaces with their perfect bounces have encouraged players to allow the ball to bounce and play from the baseline. Serve and volley historically was a way of avoiding bad bounces on natural surfaces.

Well remembered

angiel
12-28-2005, 11:21 PM
Fewer tourneys played these days on grass.
Alot of players return better these days; aided by the racket technology.
It's just easier to play from the baseline. More kids from a young age these days play almost exclusively from the baseline and don't diversify their games. Serve-volleyers generally take longer to mature because serve-volley tennis is more complex.
Just my opinion.....

You hit the nail on the head, but the game need serve & volley players, to make it more interesting, too much baseliners is killing the sport. :wavey: :sad: :sad:

Caralimon
12-28-2005, 11:52 PM
A serve and volley thread with no mention of Patrick Rafter ???

PATRICK RAFTER.

;-)

Happy birthday to him.

rod99
12-28-2005, 11:58 PM
i don't believe a true serve/volleyer will ever be a multiple grand slam champion again. look at highlights of players from the 1960s and earlier and almost all the highlights were when at least one of the players was at the net. the reason is racket technology. you can hit passing shots with today's rackets that you couldn't even imagine hitting with older model rackets. also, 3 out of 4 grand slams were played on grass and now the grass court season is only 5 weeks (if you count newport). finally, players grow up wanting to win now. with parents spending countless dollars on their kids future, they want to see results. playing at the baseline is what wins in the juniors and thus, that is what kids become accustomed to.