Roddick vows to go broke [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roddick vows to go broke

RickDaStick
12-28-2005, 07:56 PM
NO more wimpy returns on second serve, Andy Roddick has promised. No more going into a defensive shell when the balls are not in his hands.

It's time, said the No.1 player in the United States, for a complete and consistent change of attitude when he's not serving.

"Constant aggression. That's going to be my mantra in 2006," Roddick said as he prepares for the Australian season.

"Yeah, absolutely," Roddick added without hesitation when he was asked if it wasn't time for him to get riskier with his service returns after a 2005 season in which he reached one grand slam semi-final (Australia), finished runner-up in another (Wimbledon) but fell on his face in the other two.

"My biggest problem is when I get passive. When I have a mindset of constant aggression, I get better," he insisted.

For too much of this past season Roddick did little more than block back first and second serves, allowing opponents to dictate the baseline rallies and diminish his edge as a power player.

He did a better job after the US Open, winning 11 of 13 matches and taking the title at Lyon, France, with a win in the final over France prodigy Gael Monfils. But Roddick now wants a full year of super-aggressiveness on service returns.

He begins his campaign in the Kooyong Classic before the Australian Open, starting on January 16.

It's not hard to understand why he's ready to take more risks.

He led the ATP Tour this year by winning 93 per cent of his service games. But he won only 22 per cent of his return games, well back of tour leader Rafael Nadal, who won 39 per cent of his.
"I'm not going to nurse those balls back if I get the second serve I want. "You hit a big return and you're in the guy's head a little more," said Roddick.

The tactics make plenty of sense. Roddick will rarely lose his serve, which puts pressure on his opponents to win theirs.

And if they know Roddick is going to take a big cut at the second serve, it pressures them to hit a more conservative first serve.

"It's all mindset," said Roddick. "If you're trying to scrape by, you kind of play safer. I have to get over that."

His coach Dean Goldfine said he and Roddick will sit down soon to go over a whole list of goals for 2006, and getting more aggressive with service returns will be a major part of the conversation.

He's not going to be able to start crashing every second serve.

There are players, such as Roger Federer and Ivan Ljubicic, who have excellent second serves.

He's not going to get a long look at those balls and may have to pick and choose spots to blast back returns.

But against most players he'll be playing chancier tennis, perhaps even taking balls early by playing inside the baseline, as Andre Agassi does. This new sense of aggressiveness is perhaps the most important thing Roddick has come to understand about his game.

"I've got to play my personal style and the one thing I can do is hit the ball pretty big," he said.

"But there are times when I didn't, and that's when I got into trouble."

Roddick did not have a bad year, winning 59 and losing 14 with five titles.

But the first round loss at the US Open and the second round loss at the French, when he was up two sets and a break on Jose Acasuso, were major setbacks.

Nevertheless, he finished at No.3, down only one spot from 2004, and it's difficult to feel bad about dropping behind Roger Federer and No.2 Nadal, who won a combined 23 titles.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17665466-23216,00.html

We will see if he holds true to his word.

BelgianWaffle
12-28-2005, 08:00 PM
he sounds like he can't wait for the new season! :yeah:

Fee
12-28-2005, 08:40 PM
It's actually 'go FOR broke' and this story is about 2 weeks old or so.

Hmmm... number of threads started about Andy by Ljubicic fans = too many to count.
Number of threads about Ljubicic started by Roddick fans = only one that I can think of...

El Legenda
12-28-2005, 08:42 PM

Hmmm... number of threads started about Andy by Ljubicic fans = too many to count.
Number of threads about Ljubicic started by Roddick fans = only one that I can think of...

thanks for adding to the thread :retard:

alfonsojose
12-28-2005, 08:52 PM

Maybe it sounds like Andy Rodicic ;)

Fee
12-28-2005, 08:55 PM
thanks for adding to the thead :retard:

You're welcome. :kiss:

alfonsojose
12-28-2005, 08:58 PM
what is a "thead" ;) ?

s.m.
12-28-2005, 08:59 PM
good for him :rolleyes:
still i don´t know what does that have to do anything with his poor backhand and ridiculos volley
if he hasn´t solve those two, he will still suck
in comparation with roger, and nadal
he is top 5 player, but not top 3 imo

Deboogle!.
12-28-2005, 08:59 PM
thanks for adding to the thead :retard:Her contribution is that the story is actually a few weeks old. A useful contribution indeed. And your contribution? :scratch: :confused: :shrug: :lol:

MissMoJo
12-28-2005, 09:03 PM
:lol: @ the thread title

alfonsojose
12-28-2005, 09:06 PM
:lol: @ the thread title
:tape:

El Legenda
12-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Her contribution is that the story is actually a few weeks old. A useful contribution indeed. And your contribution? :scratch: :confused: :shrug: :lol:

I was thanking her for adding that, is there a problem with that? and what is your contribution?

Phunkadelicious
12-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Her contribution is that the story is actually a few weeks old. A useful contribution indeed. And your contribution? :scratch: :confused: :shrug: :lol:
you're not foolin me Deb. I know the truth!

Deboogle!.
12-28-2005, 09:09 PM
you're not foolin me Deb. I know the truth!SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH THEY'RE ALL GONNA FIND OUT. :mad:

Phunkadelicious
12-28-2005, 09:15 PM
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH THEY'RE ALL GONNA FIND OUT. :mad:
:tape: don't worry Deb... your secret is safe with me!

:secret: If you want to know her secret... look in my signature;)

Deboogle!.
12-28-2005, 09:19 PM

:secret: If you want to know her secret... look in my signature;):fiery: :armed:

Saumon
12-28-2005, 09:22 PM

:secret: If you want to know her secret... look in my signature;)
:eek: no, it cannot be true!! :scared:

Phunkadelicious
12-28-2005, 09:24 PM
:eek: no, it cannot be true!! :scared:
but you didn't hear it from me! k? :kiss:

Rex
12-28-2005, 09:24 PM
sounds good for andy--- looks like he sis well ready for 06 season to get started

Deboogle!.
12-28-2005, 09:25 PM
but you didn't hear it from me! k? :kiss:Karma will get you - next time when you ask me to pick you up :ras:

Phunkadelicious
12-28-2005, 09:34 PM
Karma will get you - next time when you ask me to pick you up :ras:
but i didn't do anything!

amierin
12-28-2005, 09:40 PM
I was glad to read the article. I agree that there are other aspects of his game that need improvement that start with rewiring his brain but at least he's admitting that he needs to make some changes.
I am surprised he's sticking with Goldfine though.

Deboogle!.
12-28-2005, 09:44 PM
... rewiring his brain...:haha: :haha: Yep :lol: I am surprised he's sticking with Goldfine though.Well, his brain wiring problem isn't Dean's fault :lol: And even many of those who are particularly critical of him realize that technically his game is a lot better and more well-rounded than it was under Brad, so I dunno what firing him and getting someone ELSE new would accomplish.

Saumon
12-28-2005, 09:46 PM
but you didn't hear it from me! k? :kiss:
ok ;) :angel:

kali_puerta_fan
12-28-2005, 09:58 PM
Did you guys see Andy Roddick on MTV's Punk'd?

sigmagirl91
12-28-2005, 09:59 PM
Do you mean "go for broke"? The meaning is different than the one you posted in your title.

Flibbertigibbet
12-28-2005, 10:04 PM
Roddick wants to be destitute? :confused:

Deboogle!.
12-28-2005, 10:05 PM
Roddick wants to be destitute? :confused:Yep, his goal is to live on the streets of Austin in a cardboard box :sad:

sigmagirl91
12-28-2005, 10:06 PM
Roddick wants to be destitute? :confused:

My thoughts exactly. I don't think he plays a tennis season-only to wind up in the poorhouse.

Phunkadelicious
12-28-2005, 10:09 PM
Roddick has achieved enlightenment, and has realized that material posessions, i.e. Wimbledon trophies, are detrimental to his happiness.

sigmagirl91
12-28-2005, 10:14 PM
Roddick has achieved enlightenment, and has realized that material posessions, i.e. Wimbledon trophies, are detrimental to his happiness.

:haha: :haha:

Flibbertigibbet
12-28-2005, 10:15 PM
What a wise man! Surely he's the fifteenth Dalai Lama - Andy Roddick the Venerable!

(Who cares about Wimbledon trophies, anyway? Nobel Peace Prize for him!)

Deboogle!.
12-28-2005, 10:16 PM
What a wise man! Surely he's the fifteenth Dalai Lama - Andy Roddick the Venerable!:worship: :bowdown: :worship: :bowdown:

amierin
12-28-2005, 10:46 PM
:haha: :haha: Yep :lol:Well, his brain wiring problem isn't Dean's fault :lol: And even many of those who are particularly critical of him realize that technically his game is a lot better and more well-rounded than it was under Brad, so I dunno what firing him and getting someone ELSE new would accomplish.

In a lot of ways I think he's regressed. He had a clay court game when he was with Tariq but for whatever reason he left Tariq and went to Brad. IMO Roddick needs a road map for a match. This, then this, then this is going to happen. When he doesn't have that he tends to flounder and become a one man serving machine while the rest of his game falls apart. Gilbert may not have advanced his game but he made it so Andy could feel confident going out on the court and work his way through a match.

What he can't handle are the variables Federer brings. Federer has said that it's easy to prepare for Andy because he always plays the same way. You never know what FedEx is going to bring. You do know that he's come prepared to play you. The last two Wimbledon's show Rogelio can play Andy in his sleep.
Andy has lost his ability to think his way through a match. These are the reasons I thought Andy might change coaches but what do I know? :)

Deboogle!.
12-28-2005, 10:50 PM
In a lot of ways I think he's regressed. He had a clay court game when he was with Tariq but for whatever reason he left Tariq and went to Brad. IMO Roddick needs a road map for a match. This, then this, then this is going to happen. When he doesn't have that he tends to flounder and become a one man serving machine while the rest of his game falls apart. Gilbert may not have advanced his game but he made it so Andy could feel confident going out on the court and work his way through a match.I want to agree with you, but then I think of some of the matches Andy played at the end of his time with Brad, and then I have to disagree, that the problems were starting when he was still with Brad... and that just at the end of this year (starting with his nice win in Davis Cup) did it seem like he was starting to get out of some of those problems. I personally feel like there was a lot of problems mentally for him and it was showing in his game and making it look like his game had regressed and that he was finally getting past some of that by the end of the season. But it remains to be seen whether it's true or not, so I'm reserving final judgment til this season starts.

mangoes
12-28-2005, 10:50 PM

:lol: :lol:

amierin
12-28-2005, 11:00 PM
I want to agree with you, but then I think of some of the matches Andy played at the end of his time with Brad, and then I have to disagree, that the problems were starting when he was still with Brad...
and that just at the end of this year (starting with his nice win in Davis Cup) did it seem like he was starting to get out of some of those problems. I personally feel like there was a lot of problems mentally for him and it was showing in his game and making it look like his game had regressed and that he was finally getting past some of that by the end of the season. But it remains to be seen whether it's true or not, so I'm reserving final judgment til this season starts.

Agreed. Let's hope Rogelio will have to prep really hard for Andy in 2006.

angiel
12-28-2005, 11:17 PM
I was glad to read the article. I agree that there are other aspects of his game that need improvement that start with rewiring his brain but at least he's admitting that he needs to make some changes.
I am surprised he's sticking with Goldfine though.

The whole Roddick need improvement, not just re-wiring his brain. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

tangerine_dream
12-28-2005, 11:24 PM
Hi angiel my friend!!! hi!!! :lol: :cuckoo: :rolleyes: :banghead: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

Frederick16
12-28-2005, 11:26 PM
andy is always great to watch!! i like his style very much good luck in 2006!!

Fee
12-28-2005, 11:36 PM
Hi angiel my friend!!! hi!!! :lol: :cuckoo: :rolleyes: :banghead: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

uh oh.... :bolt:

:lol:

celia
12-29-2005, 12:38 AM

what does it matter who starts a thread? you guys are incredible. :rolleyes:

as for Roddick's plan, i actually think it's a good one as long as he maintains the fitness to keep it up. he's absolutely right -- playing defensvely has NOT worked for him.

nkhera1
12-29-2005, 12:42 AM

I hope Federer figures that out as well.

As for Roddick's claim it is a good one and lets hope he can follow through with it as well as make other changes (like returning first serves).

Federerthebest
12-29-2005, 01:32 AM
I can't wait to see Roddick's aggressive backhand-returns. :lol:

Deboogle!.
12-29-2005, 01:33 AM
I can't wait to see Roddick's aggressive backhand-returns. :lol:If you knew anything about his game, you'd know his backhand return is better than his forehand return :)

celia
12-29-2005, 01:36 AM
If you knew anything about his game, you'd know his backhand return is better than his forehand return :)
his backhand is better in terms of consistency and technique but his forehand is far more powerful. and since he plans to become less defensive, i expect we'll be seeing more of the powerful forehand shots.

cobalt60
12-29-2005, 01:38 AM
I am hoping he sticks with Dean who IS a good coach. Sometimes it takes a while to feel each other out. Wishing AROD well in 2006. I would like many players to give Fed hiccups this coming season.

Deboogle!.
12-29-2005, 01:39 AM
....his forehand is far more powerful.:scratch: only when he runs around it with the specific intent to blast a return. And he doesn't do that often at all (though hopefully he will start doing it more). He chips his forehand in all the time, especially on wider serves. That's not particularly powerful :retard: His forehand is more powerful in general, but his BH return is markedly better than his FH overall.

Federerthebest
12-29-2005, 01:41 AM
If you knew anything about his game, you'd know his backhand return is better than his forehand return

No, it isn't. The backhand-return may be more consistent, but it is not more powerful or aggressive than his forehand-return. :)

Deboogle!.
12-29-2005, 01:44 AM
I'd rather have a consistently reliable shot than one that's powerful but only once in a while :shrug:

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this I guess :)

Federerthebest
12-29-2005, 01:48 AM
I'd rather have a consistently reliable shot than one that's powerful but only once in a while

Maybe, but as Roddick is quoted in the article in the original post, he is opting for aggression on the returns. And I simply see him as more able to do that on the forehand rather than the backhand-side...

Deboogle!.
12-29-2005, 01:50 AM
Aggression's not just power. He's been working on well-placed BH returns that would allow him to come in behind it. He's done it on occasion the past couple years and sometimes it works quite nicely. May not be based entirely on power shots, but it's an extremely aggressive play and it's something I don't think he's ever done on his FH side b/c he doesn't have the control or direction on it (partly b/c he waits on the return with his BH grip)... but as I said, I hope he does do more of the running around to hit big forehand returns - especially on 2nd serves, too. :)

celia
12-29-2005, 03:37 AM
:scratch: only when he runs around it with the specific intent to blast a return. And he doesn't do that often at all (though hopefully he will start doing it more). He chips his forehand in all the time, especially on wider serves. That's not particularly powerful :retard: His forehand is more powerful in general, but his BH return is markedly better than his FH overall.
every sensible player chips in response to a serve out wide. only brainfarters like Gonzalez try to hit winners off off those shots, so in this Roddick is not unique. but even when he chips, he is more likely to try to set up a powerful forehand return on the next shot. that's his game -- he favors the forehand, even often running around the backhand to make the forehand play bec he knows that on the backhand he is defensive but with his forehand he can be more aggressive and attacking.

in my opinion.

Golfnduck
12-29-2005, 03:44 AM
I am hoping he sticks with Dean who IS a good coach. Sometimes it takes a while to feel each other out. Wishing AROD well in 2006. I would like many players to give Fed hiccups this coming season.
Dean is a good coach, I will the benefits will start paying off this season. Last season was a "growing" season for Andy, in my mind.

Iheartandy&roger
12-29-2005, 04:26 AM
Omg Andy congrats you finally figured out the problem which all of your fans have been screaming for the past year! BE AGGRESSIVE! :bigclap:

Gonzo Hates Me!
12-29-2005, 04:45 AM
2006, Roddick better walk the God damn walk. I better see a whole new Roddick!

Skyward
12-29-2005, 05:04 AM
Good luck to him. I'm tired of losing my precious vcash on his :retard: matches. :lol:

nkhera1
12-29-2005, 05:42 AM
Maybe, but as Roddick is quoted in the article in the original post, he is opting for aggression on the returns. And I simply see him as more able to do that on the forehand rather than the backhand-side...

Agression doesn't just mean brainless power. I would conisder Federer to be an aggresive player but he doesn't just use power.

World Beater
12-29-2005, 07:42 AM
Agression doesn't just mean brainless power. I would conisder Federer to be an aggresive player but he doesn't just use power.

we have yet to see andy's bh aggressive returns, power or not.

prima donna
12-29-2005, 07:50 AM
The most confusing of all the words I've heard spoken today is those glued together in-order to formulate a sentence reading "Roddick vows to go for broke" - now, why would he do that ? Seems he's suggesting more ball-bashing and less point construction ?

Andy Roddick's weaknesses in the past have not been lack of aggression, it's been his anemic backhand, awful point construction, terrible shot selection and general one-dimensional play.

Maybe the American needs to focus his attention more on:
A). Fixing that broken backhand.
B). His transitioning (or lack there of) to net.
C). Court positioning and general awareness of situations.

Also ...

D). Contacting a witch or voodoo tribe to put a spell on Roger Federer, preventing any further humiliation.

This is so foolish, Roddick has over-exceeded his potential, he's reached his quota for accomplishments on tour, at times I've scratched my head and wondered how he's consistently finished as a top 5 player year after year.

Oh well.

World Beater
12-29-2005, 07:55 AM
The most confusing of all the words I've heard spoken today is those glued together in-order to formulate a sentence reading "Roddick vows to go for broke" - now, why would he do that ? Seems he's suggesting more ball-bashing and less point construction ?

Andy Roddick's weaknesses in the past have not been lack of aggression, it's been his anemic backhand, awful point construction, terrible shot selection and general one-dimensional play.

Also ...

D). Contacting a witch or voodoo tribe to put a spell on Roger Federer, preventing any further humiliation.

This is so foolish, Roddick has over-exceeded his potential, he's reached his quota for accomplishments on tour, at times I've scratched my head and wondered how he's consistently finished as a top 5 player year after year.

Oh well.

you do realize that roddick cant relearn tennis from scratch. That is what you are essentially advocating. If roddick goes for broke more, he will connect some time. In the wimbledon final, he was way to passive rallying with roger. he will rarely out rally roger. his only way is to try and hit a big shot. maybe one day he will be hot, and play the match of his life. He was reasonably close in 2004 wimbledon final.

prima donna
12-29-2005, 08:00 AM
you do realize that roddick cant relearn tennis from scratch.
The defect posessed by Roddick is never learning basic fundamentals to begin with, also his service motion is somewhat of a freak and was only achieved as a result of an injury.

He's learned to serve and hit occasional winners from the forehand side, that would just about sum his game up. My intuition tells me that a few Junior's would be licking their lips to get a shot at Roddick without that serve. :haha:

If roddick goes for broke more, he will connect some time. In the wimbledon final, he was way to passive rallying with roger. he will rarely out rally roger. his only way is to try and hit a big shot. maybe one day he will be hot, and play the match of his life. He was reasonably close in 2004 wimbledon final.

This is perfectly acceptable, hopefully if the two match up at Wimbledon again this year, Roddick will come out swatting balls all over the place and going for broke on the first shot, angle or not. :lol:

Get back to me with the result from that strategy. :yeah:

World Beater
12-29-2005, 08:15 AM
The defect posessed by Roddick is never learning basic fundamentals to begin with, also his service motion is somewhat of a freak and was only achieved as a result of an injury.

He's learned to serve and hit occasional winners from the forehand side, that would just about sum his game up. My intuition tells me that a few Junior's would be licking their lips to get a shot at Roddick without that serve. :haha:

This is perfectly acceptable, hopefully if the two match up at Wimbledon again this year, Roddick will come out swatting balls all over the place and going for broke on the first shot, angle or not. :lol:

Get back to me with the result from that strategy. :yeah:

whatever he has been trying hasnt worked. there is no harm in trying a new one.

Also there is no reason to come out bashing every ball, but any ball in the right slot should be hit. i think roddick tried to be a little safe too much of the time and lost to guys he shouldnt have, let alone roger.

Roger isnt his problem. guys like muller, acasuso are however.

roddick would love for roger to be his main problem. unfortunately he isnt.

prima donna
12-29-2005, 08:18 AM
whatever he has been trying hasnt worked. there is no harm in trying a new one.

Also there is no reason to come out bashing every ball, but any ball in the right slot should be hit. i think roddick tried to be a little safe too much of the time and lost to guys he shouldnt have, let alone roger.

Roger isnt his problem.

roddick would love for roger to be his main problem. unfortunately he isnt.

This isn't a problem?

How many times has Muller done this to Andy again ?
ATP Masters Series Cincinnati, Hard, F
Ohio, USA
Hard
F
Federer
6 3 7 5

Wimbledon, Grass, F
England
Grass
F
Federer
6 2 7 6 6 4

Bangkok, Hard, F
Thailand
Hard
F
Federer
6 4 6 0
Canada AMS, Hard, F
Toronto, Canada
Hard
F
Federer
7 5 6 3
Wimbledon, Grass, F
England
Grass
F
Federer
4 6 7 5 7 6 6 4

Wimbledon, Grass, S
England
Grass
S
Federer
7 6 6 3 6 3

World Beater
12-29-2005, 08:24 AM
This isn't a problem?

How many times has Muller done this to Andy again ?
ATP Masters Series Cincinnati, Hard, F
Ohio, USA
Hard
F
Federer
6 3 7 5

Wimbledon, Grass, F
England
Grass
F
Federer
6 2 7 6 6 4

Bangkok, Hard, F
Thailand
Hard
F
Federer
6 4 6 0
Canada AMS, Hard, F
Toronto, Canada
Hard
F
Federer
7 5 6 3
Wimbledon, Grass, F
England
Grass
F
Federer
4 6 7 5 7 6 6 4

Wimbledon, Grass, S
England
Grass
S
Federer
7 6 6 3 6 3

my point was that roddick could probably live with the fact that he is 2nd to federer. his season was deemed a failure not because he didnt wimbledon, but because he did so poorly at his home slam.

it doesnt have to be muller, it could be some other random player. roddick is losing to guys he shouldnt be. That is his main problem. Roger is everyone's problem. to say that he roddick's problem would be redundant- which might explain the lack of clarity in a previous post.

prima donna
12-29-2005, 08:28 AM
my point was that roddick could probably live with the fact that he is 2nd to federer. his season was deemed a failure not because he didnt wimbledon, but because he did so poorly at his home slam.

Why play a sport only to come in 2nd place ?

My stance has been for the longest, Andy has no choice but to accept being 2nd to Roger, but that doesn't mean that his fans or him included don't want to be #1 or aren't constantly trying to conjure up ways to beat Roger.

"He needs to be more aggressive"
"Andy chokes and gets nervous against Roger"
"He needs to do whatever he did before the 2004 Wimbledon Rain Delay"

He's not going to take these beatings laying down, which sadly may be the detriment of his career. Roger is in his head and the hangover from Wimbledon / Cincy lingered over into NYC.

DrJules
12-29-2005, 09:17 AM

Adee-gee has been searching for one :lol:

bokehlicious
12-29-2005, 09:21 AM
:rolls: :haha:

blosson
12-29-2005, 09:48 AM
I see many of you haven't seen Roddick play in a while. His forehand is not what it used to be. He's hitting puffy forehands in the middle of the court!

Deb is right, his backhand has earned him more points and it's more reliable nowadays. His volleys would never win any style prize but it has worked twice or 3 times in every match. Considering it's a new thing for Andy, that's not too bad.

Deboogle!.
12-29-2005, 02:11 PM

it doesnt have to be muller, it could be some other random player. roddick is losing to guys he shouldnt be. That is his main problem. Roger is everyone's problem. to say that he roddick's problem would be redundant- which might explain the lack of clarity in a previous post.:worship:

adee-gee
12-29-2005, 02:21 PM
Adee-gee has been searching for one :lol:
adee-gee also believes that if he had the opportunity to work with Roddick then Federer would soon be #3 in the world, behind Roddick and Nadal ;)

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=51436 :)

nkhera1
12-29-2005, 05:42 PM

Also ...

Oh well.

Actually if you have watched him as of late all he does is hit weak forehands that land within the service box. Also the title is very misleading but Roddick mentions that he wants to be more aggressive on service returns (not go for broke) which I think is something we all agree he needs to work on. Besides if he can hit a good service return than he can setup the point in his favor.

I hope he works on the 3 things mentioned above because then he won't need a to do plan D. Also how does Roddick have the least potential? If i'm not mistaken he didn't start playing seriously till about 12-13 whereas most pros starting playing at much younger ages. Plus he has so many things he can work on while still being in the top 3. You can't say that about too many playters. To me that would indicate that he has more potential than most other players.

celia
12-29-2005, 05:44 PM
Why play a sport only to come in 2nd place ?

My stance has been for the longest, Andy has no choice but to accept being 2nd to Roger, but that doesn't mean that his fans or him included don't want to be #1 or aren't constantly trying to conjure up ways to beat Roger.

"He needs to be more aggressive"
"Andy chokes and gets nervous against Roger"
"He needs to do whatever he did before the 2004 Wimbledon Rain Delay"

He's not going to take these beatings laying down, which sadly may be the detriment of his career. Roger is in his head and the hangover from Wimbledon / Cincy lingered over into NYC.
Roger isn't Andy's problem, he's everyone's problem, so let's kill the Roger-Andy comparisons.

Andy is already a pretty aggressive player. in fact if i had to use one word to describe him, it would be aggressive. if he has decided to become even more so, i can't imagine what that would look like but i can't wait to see.

prima donna
12-29-2005, 05:45 PM
Roger isn't Andy's problem, he's everyone's problem, so let's kill the Roger-Andy comparisons.

Hey, tell this to the American Media and his fans. I've been saying this for ages, I'm only speaking under the presumption that those I've mentioned are delusional enough to believe there is some type of a rivalry. :haha:

nkhera1
12-29-2005, 05:46 PM
we have yet to see andy's bh aggressive returns, power or not.

Occasionally he will hit a bachand down the line and then come up to the net which I consider to be one of him more aggressive returns.

nkhera1
12-29-2005, 05:46 PM

Andy is already a pretty aggressive player. in fact if i had to use one word to describe him, it would be aggressive. if he has decided to become even more so, i can't imagine what that would look like but i can't wait to see.

Have you seen his forehands lately? Plus his backhand has never been anything to write about.

Deboogle!.
12-29-2005, 05:47 PM

Andy is already a pretty aggressive player. in fac if i had to use one word to describe him, it would be aggressive. if he has decided to become even more so, i can't imagine what that would look like but i can't wait to see.I think the point of the article, and the thing that is encouraging to many of us fans, is that he seems to finally be recognizing that, especially at the most important moments and in the bigger matches, he WASN'T aggressive. As nkhera1 has said a couple times, his forehand lately has been puffy, loopy, and landing incredibly short in the court - none of which can be considered aggressive moves. Especially in tiebreaks, where he used to have an excellent record, he really was awful in 2005. So if he can return to being the aggressive player he was a couple years ago, combined with the other improvements he's definitely made over the past year, that's a great sign for him - as long as he actually has the confidence to implement it. I'm not entirely convinced of that yet, will have to wait and see.

nkhera1
12-29-2005, 05:47 PM
you do realize that roddick cant relearn tennis from scratch. That is what you are essentially advocating. If roddick goes for broke more, he will connect some time. In the wimbledon final, he was way to passive rallying with roger. he will rarely out rally roger. his only way is to try and hit a big shot. maybe one day he will be hot, and play the match of his life. He was reasonably close in 2004 wimbledon final.

He can improve on some of those things. I agree that he will never have a great backhand but he is improving it and thats all you can ask for. He can work on his transitition to the net and I think he can move up a little farther than he is right now.

K-Dog
12-29-2005, 07:35 PM

Do you realize that Andy is a good enough athlete to learn the proper way to hit a shot? I mean if he is taught the correct technique, why wouldn't that work if it is the correct way to hit the ball. I changed my forehand from a straight up and down forehand to a loop backswing on my own in two months. I'm no professional, but I had a lot of success with my anemic forehand, so to change it sucked at first, but now I feel great with it. It isn't unheard of to change your technique (look at Tiger Woods, he changed his swing and it took a year to get confidence with it, but it's working now!!) If he is hitting the backhand with technically sound mechanics, why would that shot fail if it is the way the stroke is supposed to be hit? Andy needs to go to Robert Lansdorp and have him drill Andy into hitting a proper backhand.

nkhera1
12-29-2005, 07:40 PM
Do you realize that Andy is a good enough athlete to learn the proper way to hit a shot? I mean if he is taught the correct technique, why wouldn't that work if it is the correct way to hit the ball. I changed my forehand from a straight up and down forehand to a loop backswing on my own in two months. I'm no professional, but I had a lot of success with my anemic forehand, so to change it sucked at first, but now I feel great with it. It isn't unheard of to change your technique (look at Tiger Woods, he changed his swing and it took a year to get confidence with it, but it's working now!!) If he is hitting the backhand with technically sound mechanics, why would that shot fail if it is the way the stroke is supposed to be hit? Andy needs to go to Robert Lansdorp and have him drill Andy into hitting a proper backhand.

Yeah if I remember correctly, his backhand is his best shot (from a techique standpoint)

RodLo
12-29-2005, 07:48 PM
All I'll bother adding to this thread is, I'm looking forward to 2006. :bigclap:

Rosa Luxembourg
12-29-2005, 08:01 PM
duck will never be an eagle :p

World Beater
12-29-2005, 10:07 PM
andy needs to hit his fh more flat with less loppy topspin ala andre agassi.

flash back to his matches with nadal at the uso in 2004, and nalbandian at the uso in 2003.

everyone seems to be bagging andy's volley, but i think its really improved. just put on the wimbledon final against roger, he made some nice ones there.

Almost every coach save tariq has made no technique changes to andy's bh. why is that?

Deboogle!.
12-29-2005, 10:12 PM
andy needs to hit his fh more flat with less loppy topspin ala andre agassi.

flash back to his matches with nadal at the uso in 2004, and nalbandian at the uso in 2003.yes :( This is what most of us fans have been harping on in his forum nonstop for the past year.Almost every coach save tariq has made no technique changes to andy's bh. why is that?Disclaimer, this is not my opinion but what I've heard commentators talking about. I remember Cliffy asking PMac about it a couple times during his matches the past year or two and I think Pmac said something to the effect of, it'll never be a weapon but if he can get the return and DTL more consistent at least it will be reliable. I also distinctly remember PMac saying it was pretty much too late to completely change the technique.

Whether that's true or not I suppose is a matter of opinion whether by the time he's 21/22/23 it's too late. He could probably do it if he took a chunk of time off the tour but he's not gonna do that so it just seems like the most feasible thing at this point is to try to tweak it (which I believe Dean has been doing this past year) and make it be as good as it can be. At the end of the season (Davis Cup, Lyon, and Paris) he was hitting more down the line than I think I'd ever seen him. and it was really opening up the court for him to then hit a nice forehand, so I think if this is a play that he can employ more consistently and more often, that will help him a lot.

njnetswill
12-29-2005, 10:22 PM
Looks like Roddick is taking a leaf out of Serena's book. :o

World Beater
12-29-2005, 10:22 PM
yes :( This is what most of us fans have been harping on in his forum nonstop for the past year.Disclaimer, this is not my opinion but what I've heard commentators talking about. I remember Cliffy asking PMac about it a couple times during his matches the past year or two and I think Pmac said something to the effect of, it'll never be a weapon but if he can get the return and DTL more consistent at least it will be reliable. I also distinctly remember PMac saying it was pretty much too late to completely change the technique.

Whether that's true or not I suppose is a matter of opinion whether by the time he's 21/22/23 it's too late. He could probably do it if he took a chunk of time off the tour but he's not gonna do that so it just seems like the most feasible thing at this point is to try to tweak it (which I believe Dean has been doing this past year) and make it be as good as it can be. At the end of the season (Davis Cup, Lyon, and Paris) he was hitting more down the line than I think I'd ever seen him. and it was really opening up the court for him to then hit a nice forehand, so I think if this is a play that he can employ more consistently and more often, that will help him a lot.

obviously the experts of mtf know better than experienced pros like brad and pmac. as if with the flip of a switch, he can suddenly make it into a weapon.

one thing i do fear for andy is that other players can hit to andy's bh side and not worry about whats coming back. I think if andy can take a few more risks on that side, it will put a lot of questions in the other players mind. even at the cost of a few more errors.

Deboogle!.
12-29-2005, 10:28 PM
obviously the experts of mtf know better than experienced pros like brad and pmac. as if with the flip of a switch, he can suddenly make it into a weapon.:lol: andy's bh will NEVER be a weapon and anyone who thinks so is in lala land I think :pone thing i do fear for andy is that other players can hit to andy's bh side and not worry about whats coming back. I think if andy can take a few more risks on that side, it will put a lot of questions in the other players mind. even at the cost of a few more errors.well if anything it's gotten better the last couple years. he's had matches here and there where he's been able to use it to actually control rallies. He just has to get more confidence in it so that he can do like you said and take some more risks. As I said, it was encouraging that he was hitting down the line more at the end of the season. Dean has also said that this is a shot he wants to keep improving with him, so that's good. And also, if he can improve his court positioning and take the ball a bit earlier, that will help in all respects. Again, we can only wait and see what happens and if he actually follows through on the encouraging things he said in the article.

Fee
12-29-2005, 10:35 PM
Looks like Roddick is taking a leaf out of Serena's book. :o

Really? Is he wearing ugly clothes, gaining weight, talking about himself in the 3rd person, and starting his own company (called Ydna)?

Deboogle!.
12-29-2005, 10:36 PM
Really? Is he wearing ugly clothes, gaining weight, talking about himself in the 3rd person, and starting his own company (called Ydna)?:haha::haha::haha:

nobama
12-30-2005, 12:57 AM
Looks like Roddick is taking a leaf out of Serena's book. :oWhy do you say that?

mojo37_12
12-30-2005, 06:28 AM
Do you realize that Andy is a good enough athlete to learn the proper way to hit a shot? I mean if he is taught the correct technique, why wouldn't that work if it is the correct way to hit the ball.

In my opinion, he doesn't need to learn the "proper way" to hit a shot because he already knows how to do that. I think the point of the article is that finally Andy realized that making a big winner here and there is not enough to dominate the game at the present. Stringing together one big shot after another and staying agressive is his new game plan for the year not re-learning his form.

partygirl
12-30-2005, 06:41 AM
andy will go for broke and slowly get sidetracked or annoyed or scared (lucky) and forget.
the test will be how well he pulls back and remembers what he is doing...
stop.
refocus.
begin again.
...in other words try. :p

thats why i loved brad gilbert w/ andy.
brad would get all freaked out and take off his hat and start pointing to his head (like use yours)
i think andy needs something that litteral, because sometimes its like :smash: :rolleyes:with him.