Grand Slams 2006 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Grand Slams 2006

keep_er_lit!
12-27-2005, 10:57 PM
Since it's the off season, nothing much is happening and I am very very bored, I decided to make a poll. Which Grand Slam do you think Andy will go furthest in during 2006, and why?

Personally, I think the Australian Open will be Andy's best chance at winning his first Grand Slam at some point in his careers, but as he won't be seeded for it, he will probably reach further this year in one of the other three slams.

I reckon he'll go furthest in the US Open, as it's an event he seems to be comfortable in - more so than Wimbledon where he will have the nations hopes on his shoulders this year even more than 05.

I know Andy himself claims clay is his best surface, but having seen his performances in the DC against Switzerland and some matches in the US hardcourt season, I'm not convinced that clay is his best surface. So, like I said, I think the US Open will be his best slam of 2006.

shyscots25
12-28-2005, 08:44 AM
Actually Andy thinks his results are better on hard courts, and from watching him last year i think he will mainly be a hard court player. It seems to have been the mentality of his former coach that andy should play mainly on the dirt, but with his new coach andy has realised, that while he enjoys playing on clay and has far more aptitude on it than one would expect for a british player, hard courts suits his game better. I agree, and i think andy might find it hard when the run of clay events comes. I suspect it may see some of his weakest performances of the year.

For me Andy's best slams will be australia and us open, but i voted for wimbledon simply because i feel at this stage, and for this year, with home advantage and so on he is more likely to get further there. Real success in america and australia will have to wait for future years. Anyway it will be great to see him back in action next week. I have no idea how his training in south africa has been going hopefully we see a fitter and stronger murray emerge early this season. Some fine performances early on and we can really start to get excited about his ranking; but andy knows this himself. Will be interesting to see the draw for adelaide when it comes out!

Sweet4Richard
12-28-2005, 09:45 PM
I picked the US Open since I think he won't have as much pressure here as at Wimbledon. Plus, he did win the US Open Juniors Title which shows he can play well on these courts. Also, this Slam is the last one of the year so he should hopefully be a much better player than he will be at the Australian this year.

Of course its all going to depend on draws and where he is seeded (hopefully he will be seeded for the US Open this year-I think he will be, I'm hoping he might be seeded for the French).

2006!! :banana: Go Andy!

OddJob
12-29-2005, 05:24 AM
I voted for USO. He seems to really like playing there and his game is well suited for hard courts. I think Wim isn't too far behind. Andy doesn't play badly on grass but it really isn't his best surface. He seemed to handle the pressure pretty well and the crowd support should carry him further in the future.

C4ss
12-29-2005, 08:43 PM
I picked the US Open simply because I think he won't be under so much pressure there as he will be in Wimbledon. He also seems to feel comfortable there which can only help his game...