Thypical poll: Who will win TMS Madrid? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Thypical poll: Who will win TMS Madrid?

Yashirobai
10-11-2003, 07:47 PM
PLEASE VOTE IN THIS POLL BEFORE TMS MADRID STARTS.

I say it will be Moyá.

Leo
10-11-2003, 08:23 PM
I picked Schuettler.

maratski
10-11-2003, 08:46 PM
Other:
Marat ;)

Ma. Estefania
10-11-2003, 11:37 PM
It's tough to pick one, but anyway I think it will be someone out of the choices, that's why I picked "other" though I don't know exactly who could be the winner.

Though I think Schuettler is playing in an awesome level.

Tennis Fool
10-12-2003, 01:07 AM
I'll go with the best player on tour this year...Federer.

WyverN
10-12-2003, 01:28 AM
I fear Federer might be to tired from playing singles and doubles in Vienna this week

Leo
10-12-2003, 03:01 AM
I'll go with the best player on tour this year...Federer.

How do you figure that Federer's the best? I would say that Ferrero, Roddick, and Agassi have all been better - based on Grand Slam results.

Tennis Fool
10-12-2003, 04:00 AM
Federer leads the ATP Tour in matches won this year with 66.

WyverN
10-12-2003, 04:54 AM
How do you figure that Federer's the best? I would say that Ferrero, Roddick, and Agassi have all been better - based on Grand Slam results.

Federer won the biggest title of the year

Roland
10-12-2003, 07:01 AM
I'll go with the best indoor player this year in Federer. He's young and with two days of rest he should be ready to go.

Lindsayfan
10-12-2003, 07:10 AM

all slams have equal importance.and ferrero won 1 slam and was runner up in an other so he had a better year than rogi in GS.

Yashirobai
10-12-2003, 09:34 AM
Exactly. Saying that Wimbledon is the most important tornament is just an opinion, not a fact. Wimbledon may have more history, but what matters, which is the # of points given to the players for winning it, is the same of Australia, Roland Garros, and US Open.

Ferrero's results in Grand Slams are the best:
50+200+30+140 = 420 points

Roddick is also worse.

Aphrodite
10-12-2003, 09:52 AM
I hope Paradorn will win

*Ljubica*
10-12-2003, 10:44 AM
If I'm honest, now that David isn't playing, I've lost a bit of interest in this tournament, but I do think it would be great for Rainer Schuettler to win a Masters' title. He has worked so hard all year and most people tend to "dismiss" him so I think he deserves to win one. I think Juan-Carlos has a great chance though playing in his home country. As long as Andy Roddick doesn't win again - that's all I ask!

star
10-12-2003, 05:26 PM
You can't get your wish, Rosie. I'm blocking your wish with mine. :)

But when Coria is playing we can wish together. :)

Deboogle!.
10-12-2003, 09:21 PM
Why must we vote against people? Why can't it just be "I hope my favorite player plays well and I hope it's a good tournament and the best person wins"? saying "I want so-and-so to lose" is just sort of negative, especially in a sport like tennis where sportsmanship is so important. JMO

J. Corwin
10-13-2003, 12:44 AM
Hmm...If I had to pick a player that I think will win, I'd pick Federer. He's playing great indoors so far this season, and there's no Nalbandian in the draw.

Deboogle!.
10-13-2003, 01:18 AM
and there's no Nalbandian in the draw.

HAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

star
10-13-2003, 03:11 AM
I am really looking forward to this tournament. I'm on pins and needles. :)

I want to see Ferrero and Federer play. I hope they both reach the semis so this is possible. A rematch of Ferrero and Roddick would be nice, but Roddick and Federer in the final would be great too. But Roddick has to get that far, and historically he hasn't played that well on the continent. I'm hoping for him to play well and overcome some more hurdles in this tournament.

Most of all, I want everyone to come out of the tournament healthy and ready to play in Paris and Houston.

Deboogle!.
10-13-2003, 03:50 AM
Most of all, I want everyone to come out of the tournament healthy and ready to play in Paris and Houston.

YES!! Exactly!!! I'm glad there's someone else like me who doesn't wish for bad things to happen to the people I don't like

star
10-13-2003, 05:35 AM
Here's what Larson has to say about the rankings:

The Rankings. We already outlined this, but let's do it in detail. Since Roddick is the leader in safe points, we'll list what Ferrero and Federer must do to overtake him.

If Roddick loses his opener...
Ferrero must reach the quarterfinal
Federer must win Madrid

If Roddick reaches the Round of 16 (wins 1 match)
Ferrero must reach the semifinal
Federer cannot pass Roddick

If Roddick reaches the quarterfinal...
Ferrero must reach the semifinal

If Roddick reaches the semifinal...
Ferrero must reach the final

If Roddick reaches the final...
Ferrero Ferrero must win Madrid

If Roddick wins...
He's #1 no matter what the others do.

That's not the whole rankings story, of course. We know that Roddick, Ferrero, and Federer (probably in that order) will be #1, #2, and #3 next week -- but below that, things get complicated. Andre Agassi is #4 -- but he's also defending champion. His lead is big enough that he's guaranteed to stay ahead of Guillermo Coria, since the Argentine isn't playing. But Rainer Schuettler, who lost first round last year, has an outside shot at passing both Agassi and Coria (though he's bone tired; it doesn't seem likely that it will happen this week). Carlos Moya is also on the fringes of that mix.

The contest for the last Top Ten spot is likely to be fierce. Sebastien Grosjean has semifinalist points to defend. Jiri Novak has finalist points to defend (and just might fall out of the Top 15 if he loses his opener). That gives Paradorn Srichaphan something of an inside track, but he himself has quarterfinalist points to defend.

The player who stands to drop the most is surely last year's semifinalist Fabrice Santoro, who this year didn't make the main draw.

rogicomel
10-13-2003, 06:44 AM
If voting can help a player winning........

WyverN
10-13-2003, 09:32 AM
I don't think Roger is consistent enough to win two tournaments in a row but we will see.....

Doris Loeffel
10-13-2003, 12:42 PM
Well I'm a believer ;)

jtipson
10-13-2003, 02:05 PM
Well, if he can get past Tim Henman, then Roger's the man!

Otherwise, I think it might be Andy <sighs>....

Leo
10-13-2003, 04:56 PM
Federer leads the ATP Tour in matches won this year with 66.

So? All that says is that Federer plays alot of tennis. Doesn't mean that he's been the best. The Champions Race is a more telling statistic.

Leo
10-13-2003, 04:57 PM

Clearly an opinion.

Leo
10-13-2003, 04:58 PM
I'll go with the best indoor player this year in Federer. He's young and with two days of rest he should be ready to go.

Here's someone who's making sense. Yes, Federer has definitely been the best indoors player so far in 2003.

Sjengster
10-13-2003, 05:33 PM
To be honest, if rankings were predicated entirely on Grand Slam results then Federer should be ranked no. 4 in the world, he just hasn't broken through at the hardcourt Slams - this year, that can be attributed entirely to a certain Argentinian who isn't playing Madrid, but those 4th round losses and his continuing struggles at RG have really cost him. That, plus he's the only Top 5 player without a TMS title this year, and that's why I'm hoping he wins - I don't think he can overtake Roddick in the rankings, the best he can hope for is surpass Ferrero for no. 2 spot, but I'd like him to win a TMS and a Slam like the other three have done this year.

I will also, of course, root determinedly for Schalken, who does have what I would call a fairly tricky draw... nightmarish would be more apt, but at least he won't lose any points from last year.

Lee
10-13-2003, 06:45 PM
I wish Schuettler will win this tournament. He is in top form but he is really tired after winning consecutive titles. Coria won 3 titles in 3 weeks earlier this year but TMS is a much tougher tournament. But, being a Schuettler fan teaches me 'never say never' about him. He has a pretty good chance to advance to SF and we'll see.

Still, Federer will be a better indoor player and has a better chance to win.

rogicomel
10-14-2003, 12:56 AM
Roger Federer all the waaaaaaaaaayyy!!!
Hopp Rogi! Bring the winning mood to Madrid please! You know there's a still a mission to be accomplished here?