Article says AO changes surface and balls [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Article says AO changes surface and balls

mongo
12-26-2005, 06:07 PM
ARMED with an Australian Open wildcard, Chris Guccione says his chances at Melbourne Park this year have been boosted by an unlikely ally - the court surface.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17657667-23216,00.html

Guccione says:

"They are really high-bouncing . . . I can get the kick serves working really well and hopefully will serve really well for the tournament. That would be great.

"They are different balls - these are Wilson balls this year, so they are a little bit faster in the air.

"The courts are pretty much of a similar pace, but they are a bit more livelier and a lot more bouncier off the court.

Will have to wait and see which has the greater effect. If it's the court, then this should play into the hands of the claycourters. If it's the faster Wilson ball, could be somewhere in between USO (fastest HC combo) and AO of prior years.

prima donna
12-26-2005, 06:12 PM
ARMED with an Australian Open wildcard, Chris Guccione says his chances at Melbourne Park this year have been boosted by an unlikely ally - the court surface.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17657667-23216,00.html

Guccione says:

"They are really high-bouncing . . . I can get the kick serves working really well and hopefully will serve really well for the tournament. That would be great.

"They are different balls - these are Wilson balls this year, so they are a little bit faster in the air.

"The courts are pretty much of a similar pace, but they are a bit more livelier and a lot more bouncier off the court.

Will have to wait and see which has the greater effect. If it's the court, then this should play into the hands of the claycourters. If it's the faster Wilson ball, could be somewhere in between USO (fastest HC combo) and AO of prior years.

Why would they slow down the court(s), when Australian players have complained about it actually being too slow in the past ? Hewitt prefers a faster surface, he enjoys the pace that he receives, which aids his ability to counter opponents shots.

This is such non-sense, why don't they just slap on some dirt and make it into a clay court tournament ? Get on with it already, pathetic, a tournament goes from being played on Grass to being played on this garbage. :rolleyes:

Galaxystorm
12-26-2005, 06:16 PM
A Wilson ball will make the play faster

Deboogle!.
12-26-2005, 06:17 PM
Yeah, they announced they were gonna do this months ago. Who knows why they've been slowing it down, but lots of people have said they felt it was a little slower the past few years. Doesn't really make much sense, I agree

prima donna
12-26-2005, 06:23 PM
"They are really high-bouncing . . . I can get the kick serves working really well and hopefully will serve really well for the tournament. That would be great. "

So, the balls play faster, but the court plays at the same general speed ? Which is it ? The words that come from the tongue of a wild card should never be taken seriously, this is my #1 mistake.

This is a tad odd, how about this: Stop tweeking your court surface every year, make a plan and stick to it.

Wimbledon tweeked their grass only once, it plays much slower now than in Laver or McEnroe's day.

The U.S Open has done occasional tweeking, but why is this tournament constantly making an adjustment ? Get on with it already, the ball plays faster yet surface is playing slower ?

What exactly is the intended goal here ? This tournament is becoming such a contradiction.

Galaxystorm
12-26-2005, 06:26 PM
Why would they slow down the court(s), when Australian players have complained about it actually being too slow in the past ? Hewitt prefers a faster surface, he enjoys the pace that he receives, which aids his ability to counter opponents shots.

This is such non-sense, why don't they just slap on some dirt and make it into a clay court tournament ? Get on with it already, pathetic, a tournament goes from being played on Grass to being played on this garbage. :rolleyes:

If i didn't misunderstand the article i don't see no part where it is said this year the courts have been slowed down again , on the contrary this year it seems the court/balls combo will be faster . The court speed and the ball bounce are two different things

Galaxystorm
12-26-2005, 06:30 PM
"They are really high-bouncing . . . I can get the kick serves working really well and hopefully will serve really well for the tournament. That would be great. "

So, the balls play faster, but the court plays at the same general speed ? Which is it ? The words that come from the tongue of a wild card should never be taken seriously, this is my #1 mistake.

Every player is an own and different opinion so i didn''t attach too much importance to what Guccione has said .

prima donna
12-26-2005, 06:31 PM
If i didn't misunderstand the article i don't see no part where it is said this year the courts have been slower again , on the contrary this year it seems the court/balls combo will be faster . The court speed and the ball bounce are two different things

This is my reasoning for giving it the description of a "contradiction", you have balls that play much faster and your surface is only slowing down each year ?

What's the point ? The ball is only going to jump around more and be difficult to attack, but the surface will somewhat negate that - so what really is the purpose that is served by this change ?

Sounds like tournament officials are trying to make up for indecisiveness, with regard to the court surface, by tweeking the balls. They need to make up their mind on this matter already.

Brings me to another matter, involving the weight of the balls and players complaining of injuries, because they are playing with different balls of a new weight each tournament and it is to blame for injury, especially in the WTA.

:rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
12-26-2005, 06:40 PM
I was under the impression they weren't gonna really change the surface this year - if anything, they could make it a little faster.

mongo
12-26-2005, 06:44 PM
on the contrary this year it seems the court/balls combo will be faster . The court speed and the ball bounce are two different thingsI don't think that's a given. A higher bouncing ball absolutely slows down play. Players have more time to react and can play further behind the baseline. So this should play into the hands of those who rely on tons of topspin. In this respect, I agree with PD.

The faster ball will benefit the rest of the players, but who's to say which effect will be greater at this point.

prima donna
12-26-2005, 06:44 PM
I was under the impression they weren't gonna really change the surface this year - if anything, they could make it a little faster.
The announcement is never made or their plans made public for anything they do to the court, it's just that each year it continues to conveniently get slower by just a tad, awkward, there have yet to be consecutive year(s) where a fair amount of players haven't acknowledged that it's playing differently.

No tournament can play the exact same, because of weather conditions and that type of thing, but come on, this isn't Wimbledon, not much changes in the way of conditions or temperature.

It keeps getting sloweeeeeeer and slowwwwwwwer, this tournament is desperate for :bolt: :bolt:

RonE
12-26-2005, 06:48 PM
I agree with Prima Donna on the count of the changes made from year to year to the AO playing conditions. It seems every year there is a surprise- no one knows what to expect.

I remember in 1997 the courts were playing super slow and everyone said "oh this will help the clay courters". In fact the contrary is true- the players who are naturally inclined to hit the ball hard will still hit it with venom whereas the player who tries to stay in and work the point will have more difficulty generating his own pace. So it is a double edged sword. And it was Sampras who ended up winning the title that year exactly because of those factors ripping his way past Muster and Moya.

Speed of the ball and bounce are not necessarily directly correlated. The ball bounces lower on grass than on decoturf however in terms of pure pace the ball flies through the air a lot quicker after bouncing in the U.S. Open than it does in Wimbledon. The combination of high bouncing and pacey shots would favour someone like Saifn since he loves pace that is generated against him and can generate plenty of his own and the high bounces he can handle well due to his height.

I think it would also favour Federer with the amount of spin he puts on his shots especially the forehand it could make the ball bounce and dip viciously coupled with the pace. Not to mention the kick serve.

I can see it favouring Nadal as well, considering the amount of spin he gets on his forehand I can see him doing very well in these conditions provided he is fit.

Nalbandian will also cope well with these conditions as will Agassi.

Hewitt might struggle a bit since he enjoys a low bouncing ball that comes straight at him.

Roddick will enjoy extra bite on his serve however his ground game sometimes colapses when there is a lot of bounce and spin applied particularly to his backhand so it might be a bit of a double-edged sword as far as he is concerned.

mongo
12-26-2005, 06:50 PM
I was under the impression they weren't gonna really change the surface this year - if anything, they could make it a little faster.Hewitt, and Rafter before him, have lobbied to the AO to lay down a faster surface. But I did some research on Rebound Ace, and it is manufactured in Brisbane, Austalia. That may have a lot to do with why the AO is reluctant to dump Rebound Ace (kinda an "the AO is all things Austalian" argument).

Anyway, I've never heard the AO was going to a different surface, only that Hewitt and Rafter have lobbied for one.

Deboogle!.
12-26-2005, 06:56 PM
The announcement is never made or their plans made public for anything they do to the court, it's just that each year it continues to conveniently get slower by just a tad, awkward, there have yet to be consecutive year(s) where a fair amount of players haven't acknowledged that it's playing differently.That's not true. Actually, they have talked about it in the past. For example, it was sped up a bit this past year, and this was publicly discussed (see: http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Open-courts-will-be-fast-manufacturers/2005/01/14/1105582693704.html - this article also addresses what you said, mongo, that they can continue using rebound ace but still speed it up)Hewitt might struggle a bit since he enjoys a low bouncing ball that comes straight at him.That was my first thought when I first read this article a few days ago. Can't wait to see what barbs he'll come up with for TA This year :lol:Roddick will enjoy extra bite on his serve however his ground game sometimes colapses when there is a lot of bounce and spin applied particularly to his backhand so it might be a bit of a double-edged sword as far as he is concerned.If the court is actually the same general speed (assuming we're trusting Guccione? :lol: ), he'll be ok. Brad has argued that he thinks Andy actually does better on slightly slower and bouncier courts. I'm not sure if I agree with that, but I guess he'd know what he's talking about? :lol: Anyway, he's never had a problem with the rebound ace bounce before and he'll have plenty of time to get used to it - as will all these guys, actually ;)

prima donna
12-26-2005, 07:06 PM
:lol:If the court is actually the same general speed (assuming we're trusting Guccione? :lol:

:rolls: :rolls: :haha:

shotgun
12-26-2005, 07:43 PM
Guccione, Hewitt, Philippoussis and the others WC have been playing on this surface since they joined the Australian Open Training Camp earlier this month. They may differ on their own opinions about the speed and the bounce of the court, but for sure they'll know the courts a lot better than the other players by the time that AO comes.