Nadal pulls out of Chennai and is replaced by Ljubicic [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal pulls out of Chennai and is replaced by Ljubicic

Action Jackson
12-26-2005, 12:05 PM
http://in.rediff.com/sports/2005/dec/26nadal.htm

Nadal pulls out of Chennai Open

December 26, 2005 17:47 IST

World number nine Croatia's Ivan Ljubicic, who led the country to a first-ever Davis Cup title in 2005, has confirmed his maiden participation at the Chennai Open 2006 tennis tournament from January 2-8 in Chennai.

Ljubicic will replace Spaniard Rafael Nadal who had to pull out due to a prolonged injury he suffered in October that also kept him away from the year-ending Masters Cup in Shanghai. Ljubicic has been awarded a wild card to facilitate his entry into the singles draw.

"It is great to participate at the Chennai Open. I have heard excellent things about the tournament, the city and its tennis fans from various players on the Tour and am looking forward to play in this leading event. Though it is my first visit, I am hopeful of getting a good start to the ATP Champion's race in the New Year," a thrilled Ljubicic said.

Nadal's injury had also forced him to pull out at the last moment from the season-ending Masters Cup in Shanghai, where he was the youngest player in more than a decade to qualify for the year's finale. He had damaged his left foot while winning the Madrid Masters final in October this year.

World number two Nadal said he was eagerly looking forward to play in the tournament, but had to pull out on the recommendations of his doctor.

"It is with a heavy heart that I have to announce my inability to play. I was eagerly looking forward to come to Chennai again and was very excited about playing there and trying to win the season's opening tournament. Both my medical team and I have been working very hard during the last few weeks so that I could participate at Chennai. But my doctor has now recommended that I don't play and it's my misfortune that I can't make it," a dejected Nadal said from Spain.

Nadal also added that he would contribute US$25,000 towards the chief minister's public relief fund for the people affected by Tsunami in Chennai last year.

"It's been a year since the devastating Tsunami rocked Chennai and other parts of the world. I was especially looking forward to being present at the fashion show and charity auction to raise monies for the rehabilitation of those affected by this natural calamity. Even though I am unable to be present for it, I would like to offer US$25,000 towards the chief minister's Public Relief Fund for this cause. I hope this contribution will help many families return to normalcy," he said.

Slide show: Tsunami, a year after

Ljubicic enjoyed his best season in 2005 by winning two ATP titles in eight finals, finishing in the top 10 for the first time and leading his country to it first-ever Davis Cup title. Croatia became only the 12th country to win the Davis Cup in the competition's 105-year history by defeating Slovak Republic 3-2. Ljubicic was a key ingredient of his country's biggest sports achievements since gaining independence 13 years ago.

The gifted Croatian has always been capable of causing an upset and compiled a record 7-1 in singles, and 4-0 in doubles in Davis Cup play, the best record since John McEnroe went 12-0 in 1982 for the United States. He joined Goran Ivanisevic as the only Croats to rank in the top 10 in history of the ATP rankings.

shotgun
12-26-2005, 12:10 PM
It's good that Ljubicic decided to play here, otherwise the TD's would get really pissed off at Nadal's decision.

Action Jackson
12-26-2005, 12:13 PM
It's good that Ljubicic decided to play here, otherwise the TD's would get really pissed off at Nadal's decision.

From what one of the guys said on the Steve G forum, the tournament director is a Spanish guy, so they did a deal probably and it's not a bad replacement.

nermo
12-26-2005, 12:18 PM
Get well Soon inshALLAH Rafa.. :angel:

ClaycourtaZzZz.
12-26-2005, 12:22 PM
Ljubicic should be playing Doha.:confused:
Maybe he wants to win a title, not like last year when he got stopped by Fedster.:p

RonE
12-26-2005, 12:44 PM
Still with the foot problems? Doesn't sound good. I hope he will be ok for the Open :unsure:

Galaxystorm
12-26-2005, 12:48 PM
Ljubicic should be playing Doha.:confused:
Maybe he wants to win a title, not like last year when he got stopped by Fedster.:p

Ljubo is a clever guy and he knows in Chennai has a lot of chances to win the tournament . Chennai is doubtless one of the international series with worse list of participants and even there are challengers with more powerful draws .

1sun
12-26-2005, 12:54 PM
Ljubo is a clever guy and he knows in Chennai has a lot of chances to win the tournament . Chennai is doubtless one of the international series with worse list of participants and even there are challengers with more powerful draws .
ah so thats why nadal wanted to play there too. running from the big boys ay.

Galaxystorm
12-26-2005, 01:00 PM
ah so thats why nadal wanted to play there too. running from the big boys ay.

Are you trying to accuse me of being biased ?? :retard:

Look at this link on Nadal's presence in Chennai : http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=2473380&postcount=33

1sun
12-26-2005, 01:05 PM
what are you talking about? hes playing the weak fields, that suggests one thing to me

Galaxystorm
12-26-2005, 01:07 PM
what are you talking about? hes playing the weak fields, that suggests one thing to me

For me it's called intelligent schedule if the player has to defend a lot of points , surely for you it means to be shit-scared of facing the big guys. Just different points of view

1sun
12-26-2005, 01:15 PM
dont know about you, but when my faves in any sport or myself personaly play, i want them/me to win by beating the best. but you know, that obviously aint the case for you. and intelligent scheduling?lol, you mean a cheap way to pick up points, i call it trying to get to no1 through the back door.

Action Jackson
12-26-2005, 01:17 PM
dont know about you, but when my faves in any sport or myself personaly play, i want them/me to win by beating the best. but you know, that obviously aint the case for you. and intelligent scheduling?lol, you mean a cheap way to pick up points, i call it trying to get to no1 through the back door.

Brilliant post.

Deboogle!.
12-26-2005, 01:17 PM
lol, you mean a cheap way to pick up points, i call it trying to get to no1 through the back door.:retard: When the kid has 11 titles to defend, one of which is a slam and 4 of which are masters events, I really don't think playing one 175 point tourney and winning it is gonna help him get to #1 :lol:

Personally, from the moment I saw that Rafa had entered two tourneys before the AO I thought it wasn't too bright. Anyway, glad to hear it's a more precautionary withdrawal than anything, hopefully he'll be fit for AO.

1sun
12-26-2005, 01:25 PM
Brilliant post.
isnt it time for you to go pick up your pension?

dippykitty
12-26-2005, 01:26 PM
I thought Ljubicic was signed up to play Kooyong(or is that the week after?)?

Deboogle!.
12-26-2005, 01:30 PM
Kooyong is Jan 11-14

amierin
12-26-2005, 01:51 PM
Good move by Rafa and his people. He played himself into exhaustion towards the end of the season and needs to take a break. Rafa doesn't need to run from the big boys. I just hope his foot is strong enough for him to make a good showing in Oz.

Action Jackson
12-26-2005, 01:53 PM
isnt it time for you to go pick up your pension?

Hahahahahaha, the epitome of radiating brilliance.

Deboogle!.
12-26-2005, 01:59 PM
Good move by Rafa and his people. He played himself into exhaustion towards the end of the season and needs to take a break. Rafa doesn't need to run from the big boys. I just hope his foot is strong enough for him to make a good showing in Oz.Well, the better move would have been to have the foresight to realize this 6 weeks ago and never even enter the tourney ;) but sure, it seems smart not to play... hard to see what good playing would do for him. and looking at the top players (with the exception of Hewitt) who have done well at the AO in the recent past, most of them only play one warmup, whether it's one of the tourneys or Hopman or Kooyong.

nermo
12-26-2005, 02:06 PM
choosing Chennai in the first place was a better choice to begin the season after an injury and a long time of no competition..i don't think running away 'd be the right expression , i guess we all know better than this, if the kid wants to be number one, then there's no way he could escape facing the big guys.
posted by ameirin
Good move by Rafa and his people. He played himself into exhaustion towards the end of the season and needs to take a break. Rafa doesn't need to run from the big boys. I just hope his foot is strong enough for him to make a good showing in Oz.
Good point :)

nobama
12-26-2005, 02:08 PM
Well, the better move would have been to have the foresight to realize this 6 weeks ago and never even enter the tourney ;) but sure, it seems smart not to play... hard to see what good playing would do for him. and looking at the top players (with the exception of Hewitt) who have done well at the AO in the recent past, most of them only play one warmup, whether it's one of the tourneys or Hopman or Kooyong.Roger's playing twice before AO....Doha and Kooyong. I'm not sure how smart that is either, but he probably feels he needs the match practice going in to AO.

Action Jackson
12-26-2005, 02:09 PM
Considering Nadal is friends with Moya and the tournament director is Spanish as well, it is not that difficult to see why he entered this event.

There 14 events in the year where he will run into the best competition as long as he is fit.

nermo
12-26-2005, 02:12 PM
posted by Mirkaland
Roger's playing twice before AO....Doha and Kooyong. I'm not sure how smart that is either, but he probably feels he needs the match practice going in to AO.

maybe his ankle got better, and now it's time to have some practice, hopefully he knows what he's doing :angel:

Action Jackson
12-26-2005, 02:15 PM
Got to love how Federer gets a mention in a thread which has Nadal withdrawing from a tournament and Ljubo is replacing him and the tournament has no relevance to any of the rankings.

nermo
12-26-2005, 02:18 PM
posted by GWH
Got to love how Federer gets a mention in a thread which has Nadal withdrawing from a tournament and Ljubo is replacing him and the tournament has no relevance to any of the rankings
Welcome back on GM George ,ve' u forgotten how things go with MTF? :angel: ;)

amierin
12-26-2005, 02:19 PM
I think mention of Fedex's playing two events before Oz is a result of someone saying upthread that most players only play one warm up tourney before going to Melbourne. I don't think this was an attempt to jack the thread.
Moya is the defending champ and the TD is from Spain. Deal much?

nobama
12-26-2005, 02:32 PM
I think mention of Fedex's playing two events before Oz is a result of someone saying upthread that most players only play one warm up tourney before going to Melbourne. I don't think this was an attempt to jack the thread.
Moya is the defending champ and the TD is from Spain. Deal much?Exactly. But of course people always have to find a reason to bitch now don't they? :rolleyes:

Action Jackson
12-26-2005, 02:35 PM
Welcome back on GM George ,ve' u forgotten how things go with MTF? :angel: ;)

Yes, you are right about that, it seems that I have forgotten what it's like. :)

A_Skywalker
12-26-2005, 02:57 PM
Its a good decision to pull out of this tournament , He will have 1 week more for practise . I dont think he has any problems , he just want to enter fresh at AO .

adee-gee
12-26-2005, 04:10 PM
:rolls: that's more like the old 1sun :bigclap: well done.

Rafa :sad: get well soon, and then destroy Federer in Australia please.

El Legenda
12-26-2005, 04:19 PM
well that explaines why Ljubo was getting a visa for India, last week :)

croat123
12-26-2005, 04:21 PM
ugh, i don't want ivan playing 2 warm-ups because he has dc and the european indoors tournaments right after ao so it'll be like 8 weeks in a row before he has time to recover. he really can't afford to burn-out by the claycourt season again

adee-gee
12-26-2005, 04:21 PM
Let's be honest, Ljubicic is hardly much of an attraction compared to Nadal ;)

shotgun
12-26-2005, 04:30 PM

Fair point, but it's not every day that TDs can replace a withdrawal from a top 10 player for an entry from another top 10 player. ;)

RickDaStick
12-26-2005, 04:40 PM
I wonder how much money they threw at Ivan to come.

adee-gee
12-26-2005, 04:43 PM
I wonder how much money they threw at Ivan to come.
Not a lot I would imagine, as I say he's hardly a huge draw :shrug:

RickDaStick
12-26-2005, 04:49 PM
Not a lot I would imagine, as I say he's hardly a huge draw :shrug:

He might not be a huge draw but i can assure you it took a lot of $$$ for him to come and play. Im willing to bet they took the majority of the money they were giving to Nadal and gave it to Ivan. They needed a top ten player and there is no way Ivan would of played here without a big pay day. Also consider this is a small tournament where there isnt a lot of points and money. Ljubo would not come to Chennai to only win 35 points and 52,000 Surely he is getting a lot more from the organizers.

adee-gee
12-26-2005, 04:56 PM
He might not be a huge draw but i can assure you it took a lot of $$$ for him to come and play. Im willing to bet they took the majority of the money they were giving to Nadal and gave it to Ivan. They needed a top ten player and there is no way Ivan would of played here without a big pay day. Also consider this is a small tournament where there isnt a lot of points and money. Ljubo would not come to Chennai to only win 35 points and 52,000 Surely he is getting a lot more from the organizers.
Fair points, although Ivan might just be happy to get a few matches in here, it's not the strongest draw in the world so he's likely to get quite a lot of match practise.

dippykitty
12-26-2005, 05:53 PM
Kooyong is Jan 11-14

:wavey: Thanks. :cool:

Raquel
12-26-2005, 06:20 PM
Nice gesture from Nadal to make that donation to the tsunami appeal. I hope he's fit for the Australian.

sanpo
12-26-2005, 07:03 PM
Exactly. But of course people always have to find a reason to bitch now don't they? :rolleyes:

Agreed :mad:

Federerthebest
12-26-2005, 11:42 PM
He is withdrawing to avoid a doping test

Dragula.mp3
12-26-2005, 11:54 PM
Vamos Nadal cuento que seas el mejor este año. Detrás de Federer y Nalbandian por supuesto.

A_Skywalker
12-27-2005, 05:55 AM

huh ? You are not serious , take care .

Peta Pan
12-27-2005, 07:15 AM
Each to their own :) Ljubo is a MUCH bigger attraction to me than Nadal! ;)

Anyway, to start with I was happy Ivan was going to be playing, but now I'm thinking I wish he wasn't because I'd probably like him taking an extra week off after playing the DC final... but then I'm not his coach so I'll leave it to the experts.

DrJules
12-27-2005, 08:43 AM
:cuckoo:

nobama
12-27-2005, 11:26 AM
He is withdrawing to avoid a doping test :silly:

Experimentee
12-27-2005, 12:21 PM
Hope hes ok for the Open :(

pomnok
12-27-2005, 10:42 PM
Although Ljubicic plays in Chennai instead to get easier title, but I think it is not easy because he maybe stunned by Paradorn who always play very well here.Paradorn reached final 4 years in row already. Ljubicic won over Paradorn 3 times in row since year 2003 but he always lost 1 set to Paradorn. I hope Paradorn can defeat Ljubicic because this tournament plays in Asia.