Woodbridge in Thomas Johansson's corner [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Woodbridge in Thomas Johansson's corner

Björki
12-26-2005, 11:42 AM
Woodbridge in Johansson's corner

By Leo Schlink
26dec05

TODD Woodbridge will coach former Australian Open winner Thomas Johansson next season.

The most successful male doubles player in history and a Wimbledon singles semi-finalist, Woodbridge joins Australia's stunning array of international mentors.

The winner of nine Wimbledon doubles crowns and a world record 83 doubles titles, Woodbridge will team up with Swede Johansson for the Australian summer circuit.

Widely regarded as one of the sport's deeper and more lateral thinkers, Woodbridge is the latest Australian to be poached by foreign raiders.

Tony Roche, who advises world No.1 Roger Federer, and Darren Cahill, Andre Agassi's mentor, are two of the most respected coaches in the world.

Victoria's Bob Brett and Rohan Goetzke have carved out wonderful careers with Europeans players, while Woodbridge's former coach Ray Ruffels is highly regarded in the US.

Woodbridge, 34, is set to follow in the group's illustrious footsteps after retiring from competition at Wimbledon in July.

"I'll start at the Hopman Cup with Thomas, then go to Sydney and then on to the Australian Open," Woodbridge said.

"We'll review it after that and decide which way to go.

"This arrangement is based on Thomas knowing me well off-court and it's based on me bringing a new dimension to his game.

"It's also a situation of awakening the senses in a way because he's had a long-term association with Magnus Tideman."

http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,17660727%255E23216,00.html

wow!!! good luck to them :) :bounce:

alfonsojose
12-26-2005, 02:43 PM
ToJo :yeah:

GermanBoy
12-26-2005, 02:46 PM
Why did Todd retire? I thought he wanted to be with his family. He was my favorite doubles player, I hated to learn he wanted to retire... :mad:

Aleksa's Laydee
12-27-2005, 12:56 PM
cool :yeah:

star
12-27-2005, 02:30 PM
a deep AND lateral thinker :lol: :lol:

Whatever that means!

Anyway, I like both of these guys and I hope the pairing works out. :)

alfonsojose
12-27-2005, 03:00 PM
The only complicated situation here could come from the ToJo-Bjorkman friendship vs. ToJo-Todd pupil-coach. I mean, i know they all are professionals, but i'm not sure how things are right now between Todd and Jonas :shrug:

Scotso
12-28-2005, 07:44 AM
Todd and ToJo :D

mojo37_12
12-28-2005, 10:58 AM
Woodbridge joins Australia's stunning array of international mentors.

Right. :rolleyes:

But for some reason they just don't want to coach one of their own... good for Johansson... bad for Australia.

Kristen
12-28-2005, 02:00 PM
Why start at the bottom, when you can start at the top? :) Too much hard work otherwise. OR, maybe they like the pressure!? lol who knows.

Quite blatantly, I like ToJo, and hope Todd can help him somehow, but I'd prefer this to be temporary.