Woody Allen Tennis Movie: Good for Tennis? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Woody Allen Tennis Movie: Good for Tennis?

Bagelicious
12-21-2005, 07:07 PM
I was just looking at the Yahoo! homepage and I see there's a movie called 'Match Point' coming out soon. It's directed by Woody Allen and stars Scarlett Johansson. Here's the link.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/matchpoint.html;_ylt=ArZ8kkw5mUvDSZNlu3XHCKtfVXcA

Does anyone think it'll do anything to 'revive' tennis in the US?

El Legenda
12-21-2005, 07:13 PM
Comedy, Drama and Thriller

must be good :rolleyes:

*julie*
12-21-2005, 07:17 PM
The film is great but I don't really think it will revive tennis in the USA. A slam won by an american player would be more efficient than this movie.

Leo
12-21-2005, 09:41 PM
I want to see it. I would go just for Scarlett alone.

Deboogle!.
12-21-2005, 09:50 PM
It was nominated for a Golden Globe for best drama, so that's good. But how much does it actually feature tennis? If it were to paint tennis in a good light, then that'd be good, but if the fact that some of the characters are involved in tennis is just a collateral thing, then I don't think it'd have much effect. Plus, the movie hasn't been getting a lot of attention here so I doubt it'll do much at the box office :shrug:

David Kenzie
12-21-2005, 10:09 PM
I saw it a couple months ago. It's pretty good but it is not a film about Tennis. Tennis is just a background storyline, and the scenes about tennis are pretty cheesy to say the least.
One quote that made me laugh was "who's better : Agassi or Rusedski ?" :lol:

KoOlMaNsEaN
12-21-2005, 10:20 PM
it would be better if it was more into tennis

vogus
12-22-2005, 12:06 AM
no, not good for tennis, because the movie is not really about tennis. The tennis is just a background setting.

idolwatcher1
12-22-2005, 09:28 AM
It might cause one or two people to stop flipping channels and stay on a channel that is showing a tennis match at the time, but to answer the question, no, I don't think it will be "good" for tennis because I don't think the movie is popular enough to effect the popularity of tennis in the USA... :unsure: