What to expect from 2006 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What to expect from 2006

jazz_girl
12-21-2005, 12:51 PM
Which tournaments do you think David will win in 2006? You can explain your decisions and you can even elavorate :lol:
Let's see how well or badly we did at the end of next year ;)

jazz_girl
12-21-2005, 12:54 PM
I voted for the AO, but I have many, many doubts about it! However, I'm pretty sure, he'll win at least 1 minor tournament and a Master Series ;)

Björki
12-21-2005, 01:10 PM
AO would be great. He is on fire and I already started the
winning thread :lol:

However any win would be nice. Vamos.

sigmagirl91
12-21-2005, 01:11 PM
I would like to see him win the AO as well. He certainly seems fit and ready for it.

justClaudia
12-21-2005, 01:24 PM
I voted for AO, and Master Series - I think he's in a good shape at the moment, and can do well in Australia, and who knows, maybe win it.
But I think he will win 1 minor tournament - at least one.

justClaudia
12-21-2005, 01:27 PM
Oh one more thing...like Peggy said, any win would be nice, of course.
I want him to play well, and to feel good on court.

gooner88
12-21-2005, 02:24 PM
I would love to see Nalbo win the Aussie Open. He has the capabilities to do it and if he's got his head screwed on he can go really far there. He must still be on a high in terms of his confidence and his game after Shanghai. The players I'm worried about the most are Fed, Nadal and Safin (assuming he's fully fit).
BTW I voted for the Aussie, MS and IS Tournaments. :)

sigmagirl91
12-21-2005, 02:26 PM
Even with the Shanghai win, David was never an overwhelming favorite going into any Slam. That may serve well for his confidence if he were to fly under the radar a little and garner all his results without the fanfare.

gooner88
12-21-2005, 02:31 PM
Even with the Shanghai win, David was never an overwhelming favorite going into any Slam. That may serve well for his confidence if he were to fly under the radar a little and garner all his results without the fanfare.

But that's always been the case with Nalbo.
People will pay a bit more attention towards him in Melbourne inevitably after Shanghai and I think the top players will notice him a bit more now.

sigmagirl91
12-21-2005, 02:36 PM
But that's always been the case with Nalbo.
People will pay a bit more attention towards him in Melbourne inevitably after Shanghai and I think the top players will notice him a bit more now.

You're right about that, but TV coverage-wise, they'll stick with the usual suspects. And the commentators may mention him in passing, maybe sharing his results with the audience while covering the "more important" matches.

gooner88
12-21-2005, 02:43 PM
You're right about that, but TV coverage-wise, they'll stick with the usual suspects. And the commentators may mention him in passing, maybe sharing his results with the audience while covering the "more important" matches.

That's only to be expected. I think he will be on the main courts more often though because he is fairly well known in Oz because of DC and his consistent record in Melbourne over the years. Plus he's also a higher seed.
One other thing he may be the No5 seed in Melbourne because Davydenko's only a few points ahead of Nalbo in the rankings, and Davy has points to defend in Doha in a few weeks.

sigmagirl91
12-21-2005, 02:47 PM
That's only to be expected. I think he will be on the main courts more often though because he is fairly well known in Oz because of DC and his consistent record in Melbourne over the years. Plus he's also a higher seed.
One other thing he may be the No5 seed in Melbourne because Davydenko's only a few points ahead of Nalbo in the rankings, and Davy has points to defend in Doha in a few weeks.

Yes...you are right. If Davydenko fails to defend those points, then he'll drop below David. And, of course, they both have qf points to defend. I think David will defend his, perhaps add to it with a sf or final (preferably champion) finish. The Aussies are good fans overall, and they do respect David as a competitor. It should be good.

sophia_c
12-21-2005, 05:24 PM
I seriously think he could win the Australian Open. He is on such a high now and I hope he can continue to play as well as he has done in the last part of 2005. He just needed to break the mould and he has done this big time now. I think we could all be pleasantly surprised by the progress he can make in 2006, the win against Federer will have far reaching consequences for David...so Vamos for 2006!!!

disturb3d
12-21-2005, 09:31 PM
Dave's the most surface-consistent player in the game.
If he can take the TMC, he can take all the GS's.

sigmagirl91
12-21-2005, 09:32 PM
Dave's the most surface-consistent player in the game.
If he can take the TMC, he can take all the GS's.

Ok, darl. :rolleyes:

disturb3d
12-21-2005, 09:34 PM
You're right about that, but TV coverage-wise, they'll stick with the usual suspects. And the commentators may mention him in passing, maybe sharing his results with the audience while covering the "more important" matches.Doubt that he won't get top-notch coverage.
And I'll doubt it even more when he wins tha AO.

sigmagirl91
12-21-2005, 09:47 PM
Doubt that he won't get top-notch coverage.
And I'll doubt it even more when he wins tha AO.

They'll cut off programming when the trophy ceremony takes place, much like ESPN did when Roger was receiving his winner's trophy in Houston.

novanora
12-23-2005, 02:01 AM
US Open. The surface is the best for him, and also it's near his burst-out later phase of the whole season. Like you all here, I would like to see him do a good job in AO, but just have a feeling US Open is the one for him. Of course, I want him to defend his title in Shanghai next year ;)

jazz_girl
12-23-2005, 11:23 AM
I think it was Javier Frana who said recently that he was talking to David, and asked him: When did you realise you were ready for big things? And David said: when I lost to Roddick in the US Open. Instead of bringing him down, it made him realise he could be up there with the best.
Maybe the US Open is a good choice, he was really close to making it...