Roland Garros Dope Positive was WTA - Is Puerta off the hook? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roland Garros Dope Positive was WTA - Is Puerta off the hook?

vogus
12-20-2005, 11:46 PM
L'Equipe announced that the mysterious "Round of 16 Roland Garros doping case" culprit has turned out to be WTA player Sesil Karatancheva, not Mariano Puerta as was previously suspected. Does this mean that Puerta is not facing a lifetime ban?

lau
12-20-2005, 11:53 PM
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/20051220_085152Dev.html
This was the article L ´equipe published today. As far as I understand, Hood, Puerta and Karatantcheva tested positive in RG according to L´equipe. And Puerta was in London for a hearing a week and a half ago, aprox....
So, no, he is not off the hook.....at least not yet...

sigmagirl91
12-21-2005, 12:21 AM
Puerta is very much on the hook.

HappyAndie
12-21-2005, 02:18 AM
From Eurosport today:

Puerta decision expected soon

A decision on the future of French Open finalist Mariano Puerta is expected this week following his failed Roland Garros drugs test. The Argentine tested positive for the stimulant etilefrine after losing to Rafael Nadal in June this year.

Puerta - who tested positive for clenbuterol in 2003 and served a two-year ban - faces a life ban for a second doping offence if the ITF (International Tennis Federation) applies the WADA code.

But appearing before an ITF tribunal in London two weeks ago, Puerta argued against an end being put to his career by explaining that at the time of his first offence, the WADA code was not in effect and he therefore should not be subjected to a life ban.

Puerta claims the substance found after the final was due to a sudden thirst gripping him the night before the game, and he drank a cup of water containing medication for his wife, who suffers from hypotension, with etilefrine being one of the active ingredidents.

mangoes
12-21-2005, 02:40 AM
From Eurosport today:

Puerta decision expected soon

A decision on the future of French Open finalist Mariano Puerta is expected this week following his failed Roland Garros drugs test. The Argentine tested positive for the stimulant etilefrine after losing to Rafael Nadal in June this year.

Puerta - who tested positive for clenbuterol in 2003 and served a two-year ban - faces a life ban for a second doping offence if the ITF (International Tennis Federation) applies the WADA code.

But appearing before an ITF tribunal in London two weeks ago, Puerta argued against an end being put to his career by explaining that at the time of his first offence, the WADA code was not in effect and he therefore should not be subjected to a life ban.

Puerta claims the substance found after the final was due to a sudden thirst gripping him the night before the game, and he drank a cup of water containing medication for his wife, who suffers from hypotension, with etilefrine being one of the active ingredidents.

So the report was true :( Well, sorry, but that excuse sounds a little to rediculous for me. Doesn't most medication for hypotension come in the form of tiny pills? Why was it disolved in a cup of water? Why didn't his wife say, wait, my medication is mixed in that? Didn't he taste the medicine? It just doesn't make sense and the word "bullshit" suddenly comes to mind.

Shame, shame, shame Puerta.............. :(

Federerthebest
12-21-2005, 02:48 AM
Puerta claims the substance found after the final was due to a sudden thirst gripping him the night before the game, and he drank a cup of water containing medication for his wife,

:haha: :haha: :haha:

PinkFeatherBoa
12-21-2005, 02:51 AM
I say, hang Puerta out to dry. ;)

Frooty_Bazooty
12-21-2005, 06:42 AM
Why is it that all these doping cases all turn up at Roland Garros??? :secret:

HappyAndie
12-21-2005, 07:38 AM
Maybe Mariano is pregnant :)

lau
12-21-2005, 08:07 AM
First of all, the Eurosport article has got a mistake, he served a 9 months ban, not 2 years... but thats other story... or the same :lol:
Then, as I said in other thread, I couldn´t find other article that gave this same information. It is not clear were this information comes from, no news agency or source (apart from eurosport uk...) and it´s the only one that speaks about what Puerta claims it happened with the positive....
I hope this article is not true.
Why is it that all these doping cases all turn up at Roland Garros??? :secret:
I don´t know... What do you mean?

joyk
12-21-2005, 08:43 AM
:haha: :haha: :haha:

*Ljubica*
12-21-2005, 08:53 AM
I found this article in Clarins this morning and posted it on Mariano's Forum:- http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v4/pa...p?pagId=1111410

Because I'm at work I can't translate it now - maybe at lunchtine or when I get home tonight - but it says the verdict should be known today and is "unlikely" to be as harsh as first feared.

lau
12-21-2005, 08:55 AM
The link doesn´t work for me Rosie..., but it´s in today´s OLE, right?

I guess is this one... http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v4/pagina.jsp?pagId=1111410
Interesting...I hope it´s true...

*Ljubica*
12-21-2005, 09:04 AM
The link doesn´t work for me Rosie..., but it´s in today´s OLE, right?

I guess is this one... http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v4/pagina.jsp?pagId=1111410
Interesting...I hope it´s true...

Yes - sorry Lau - I am at work and not meant to be on here at all :eek: - so must have copied it incorrectly. It worked fine over on his Forum :confused: Sorry. I hope it's true too.

~EMiLiTA~
12-21-2005, 10:13 AM

yeah...and had a miscarriage in Shanghai :tape:

DhammaTiger
12-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Thanks Rosie, for the link, I hope it's true also. I know mariano won't do anything to jeopardise his career, so, i believe him.

jazz_girl
12-21-2005, 12:35 PM
I'll translate a part of that article:
http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v4/pagina.jsp?pagId=1111410
During the week of the Copa Argentina, last week, a close person to Mariano Puerta said to Olé that the positives in Roland Garros were 4: Puerta, Mariano Hood, and other two still unknown. Yesterday, it was revealed that Sesil Karatantcheva was positive for doping, so there's still one more case to be known, which is from a well known tennis player. According to what this newspaper could find out, Puerta and the last case had had medical substances, with the organization's agreement, to ease some confirmed injuries during the second week. The explaination, like the strong rumor suggests, aims that the tournament's responsables wanted to avoid withdrawals, because of the injuries, from Puerta and the other tennis player.

NicoFan
12-21-2005, 01:16 PM
I'll translate a part of that article:
http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v4/pagina.jsp?pagId=1111410
During the week of the Copa Argentina, last week, a close person to Mariano Puerta said to Olé that the positives in Roland Garros were 4: Puerta, Mariano Hood, and other two still unknown. Yesterday, it was revealed that Sesil Karatantcheva was positive for doping, so there's still one more case to be known, which is from a well known tennis player. According to what this newspaper could find out, Puerta and the last case had been had medical substances, with the organization's agreement, to ease some confirmed injuries during the second week. The explaination, like the strong rumor suggests, aims that the tournament's responsables wanted to avoid withdrawals, because of the injuries, from Puerta and the other tennis player.

Thanks jazz-girl!!! I hope this is true.

Also hope the verdict does come today. Like dtiger, I find it hard to believe that Mariano would put his career in jeopardy.

Experimentee
12-21-2005, 01:30 PM
:haha: at his excuse :rolleyes:

lorenz
12-21-2005, 01:34 PM
I'm very sorry and disappointed.

Puerta is baned for 8 years.

http://www.itftennis.com/abouttheitf/news/newsarticle.asp?id=16082

Denaon
12-21-2005, 01:35 PM
:haha: at his excuse :rolleyes:
I don't believe Mariano told that. This excuse is an invention for sure......L'Equipe is full of crap.

NicoFan
12-21-2005, 01:40 PM
I'm very sorry and dissapointed.

Puerta is baned for 8 years.

http://www.itftennis.com/abouttheitf/news/newsarticle.asp?id=16082

OMG.

I'm sorry and disappointed too. :sad:

lau
12-21-2005, 01:50 PM
OMG.

I'm sorry and disappointed too. :sad:
Me too...

sigmagirl91
12-21-2005, 02:00 PM
I don't believe Mariano told that. This excuse is an invention for sure......L'Equipe is full of crap.

Apparently not. They've banned him for life now.

TheMightyFed
12-21-2005, 03:46 PM
No, he's really ON the hook now, and it might hurt....

Truc
12-21-2005, 03:49 PM
Interesting...I hope it´s true...Don't read too much into the article in Olé, it's not accurate, that's not what "L'Équipe" wrote. There is absolutely nothing about Puerta in "L'Équipe" today, they just explained yesterday what Puerta said for his defense – the story with the glas of water and the medication of his wife – and conclude he hopes he won't get a lifetime ban. But they never wrote he won't, they don't say anything about the final decision. I've got the articles here.

Peoples
12-21-2005, 09:25 PM
Ahahahahhhhahahahhaaaahaha :eek:
:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha: