Masters Cup update [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Masters Cup update

esther
10-09-2003, 08:12 AM
Hewitt out of Masters Cup

Hewitt cup sacrifice
By Leo Schlink
October 9, 2003

LLEYTON HEWITT will make a multi-million dollar sacrifice in his quest to deliver Davis Cup triumph for Australia.

Hewitt - multi-million dollar sacrifice.

The former world No.1 will withdraw from a string of highly-lucrative European indoor events - and surrender all hope of defending the Masters Cup he has won for the past two years - to ensure he is at his peak for the Davis Cup final against Spain in Melbourne next month.

Hewitt, 22, last week underwent a procedure to remove a wart from his right foot and is now recovering in Adelaide, where he will begin preparations on Memorial Drive grass with his coach Roger Rasheed for the Davis Cup final.

Hewitt's management Octagon would not place a figure on Hewitt's commitment to the Australian cause but victories in Madrid, Paris and Stockholm and Basel would potentially earn him more than $2.5 million.

By opting out of the European swing, Hewitt has effectively lost hope of snaring a third Masters Cup trophy in Houston where, depending on round-robin results, the winner's cheque could be as high as $2.17 million.

Hewitt is also believed to have withdrawn from an exhibition in Portland the week after the Masters Cup, costing him another large appearance money cheque.

Industry estimates put Hewitt's average guarantee at $362,000 for International Series (gold) events and more for exhibitions.

Octagon vice-president Tom Ross last night praised Hewitt's decision, acknowledging Hewitt had willingly taken a financial hit to ensure he was in prime condition for the November 28-30 clash with Spain at Rod Laver Arena.

"He's making a number of sacrifices personally in terms of prizemoney, guarantees, ranking points and title defence at the Masters to give himself the best chance at the Davis Cup," Ross said

Hewitt said last night he was still unable to run after being treated with a course of injections, which would eventually cause the wart to wither and die.

"At the moment, I can't put too much weight on it and I can't run on it," he said. "But I'm on the bike and swimming."

Hewitt said he might have been able to persist with tournament plans despite the inconvenience of a sore right foot, but he wanted to be in top shape for the Spaniards, who won a sour final in Barcelona in 2000.

"The foot was not a huge dilemma," he said.

"It was bothering me some of the time, but I thought if I had it done now, I'd be right for the Davis Cup final.

"I could have kept playing and if I was playing for the dollars - and I could have got a lot of dollars by going to Europe -- you could end up jeopardising your Davis Cup preparations, which is not what you want to do.

"Davis Cup is a huge consideration for me.

"I could go over there (Europe) and chase (rankings) points to play the Masters Cup but, even if I did, that wouldn't give me enough time to get back to Australia and prepare properly for the Davis Cup final.

"It's not every day you get to play in a home Davis Cup final and I want to be ready for it."

Lindsayfan
10-09-2003, 08:18 AM
wow I wont see Hewitt again this year! :yeah: :bigclap:

Go SEB,u have a chance to get a place in the Masters Cup! :bounce: :inlove:

esther
10-09-2003, 08:52 AM
1 Roddick, Andy (USA) 807

2 Ferrero, Juan Carlos (ESP) 726

3 Federer, Roger (SUI) 629

4 Agassi, Andre (USA) 605

5 Coria, Guillermo (ARG) 589

6 Schuettler, Rainer (GER) 535

7 Moya, Carlos (ESP) 398

8 Nalbandian, David (ARG) 358

9 Philippoussis, Mark (AUS) 321

10 Hewitt, Lleyton (AUS) 290

11 Grosjean, Sebastien (FRA) 287

12 Schalken, Sjeng (NED) 283

esther
10-10-2003, 07:30 AM
Nalbandian withdrew from Madrid= Schuettler qualifies :(

claudine140
10-10-2003, 08:05 AM
Hewitt will not play any tournement this year, he has a footinjury and he wants to prepare himself for 100% for the daviscupfinal.
I hope spain can win this final!!!!! Train as much as you can, but i think we will see a big surprise, spanjards will win on grass!!!!

sebgrosfan
10-15-2003, 07:54 PM
Okay, so as it stands now there are two places left at the Masters Cup and the ones in contention are more or less:

Moya, Carlos (ESP) 421 (429 and counting)
Nalbandian, David (ARG) 358 (now 358)
Philippoussis, Mark (AUS) 321 (now 329)
Grosjean, Sebastien (FRA) 287 (302 and counting)
Schalken, Sjeng (NED) 283 (now 291)
Srichaphan, Paradorn (THA) 279 (294 and counting)

Hewitt has pulled out of Madrid and Bercy and Nalbandian has pulled out of Madrid. Also, Philippoussis has lost in the 2nd round of Madrid and so has Schalken. Seb and Scrichaphan have already made the round of 16, Moya still has to play Gaudio. That (if I'm correct) gives Philippoussis and Schalken 8 points for this tournament, Seb and Scrichaphan at least 15 points and Moya at least 8 points.

That means Seb would have to make the SF in Madrid to overtake Philippoussis in the race this week. Can be done with Spadea in the 3rd round and either El Aynaoui or Ginepri in the QF. Good draw, could be a lot worse! Does anyone know Nalbandian's condition? Is he going to play Bercy?

And if a player has a 'bye' in the first round, do they still get the points for 'making' the 2nd round?

Tryphon
10-15-2003, 08:33 PM
Let's not for forget that there is also another player going to the Masters as substitute (or is it 2?)

Of course it's better to be in the first 8 but if you're 9, you may still have a chance to play.
(BTW is Coria coming back for Paris?)

:bounce: Mark and Sjeng losing early :bounce (sorru guys but I really want Seb and Paradorn to make it to Houston!)

sebgrosfan
10-15-2003, 08:40 PM
Isn't Moya a sure bet? I don't really know when it is exactly that you qualify. Is it when you get a certain amount of points or when there is to big a distance between you and the other guys?

So imho Moya and either Nalbandian (injured right now), Phipou (lost 2nd round Madrid) or Seb/Paradorn (still in the game at Madrid) will be placed to go to Houston. It's going to be hard but it can be done, like in 2001. That was a lot of fun, remember? Either way, Seb has a great chance of being 1st substitute.

Lindsayfan
10-15-2003, 09:12 PM
hopefully Moya will lose early too! :devil:
yes I want Paradorn/Seb in the Masters Cup but i'd also like to see Mark going there...:confused:

esther
10-17-2003, 07:41 AM
RODDICK LOST RODDICK LOST RODDICK LOST!!!!!
and...SO DID MOYA!!!

So...AFTER THIRD ROUND:
7. Moya- 436 (out)
8. Nalbandian- 358 (out)
9. Philippousis- 322 (out)
10. Grosjean- 312 (Will play El Aynoui in QUARTERS)
12. Schrichapan- 304 (Will play FERRERO in QUARTERS)
*GO FERRERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*
13. Schalken- 284 (out)
13. El Aynouai- 275 (Will play SEB in QUARTERS)

esther
10-17-2003, 07:44 AM
Neone know when Nalbandian will be back?

esther
10-17-2003, 01:36 PM
Seb lost :tears: :tears: :tears:
i'm really disapointed but i think it sounded like a really tight match...seb knows what he has to do from here so hopefully he's still got a chance from Houston...even though if would have been fantastic if he could have lessened the gap in the champs race with so many others beaten or injured at the moment...*sigh* oh well all is not lost...i'm positive but trying not to get my hopes up

Lizan
10-17-2003, 01:50 PM
No me neither. I think the chance is not so big that he will play Houston.. :(

esther
10-17-2003, 01:54 PM
still got to quarters here...and is really catching up and if only he could have overtaken philippousis...and nalbandian is injured it could have been so much better if he had just won ONE more match but i guess its always like that.
newayz the main thing is that he's healthy and he's positive...i was relaly hapy with what he said in his interview

Lizan
10-17-2003, 02:05 PM
Yeah, he should have started this coming back a little bit earlier :).. But then again he would have injuries and all that, so that's not okay either.. But quarters is good indeed.. But you know, when Seb loses (only big matches), I just feel bad about it for a whole day.. Especcialy when he loses like this.. But let's be positive... Next time better!!

esther
10-17-2003, 02:10 PM
no i think first round losses are worse but it really depends on the situation...like i guess this situation could be more painful if he misses out on Houston and he misses but those couple of points...but i dunno if that will happen newayz, but the positive is, he's gotten all these points from quarters and overtaken mark so all is not lost.
i dunno maybe i will be more sad tomorrow lol

Lizan
10-17-2003, 02:17 PM
Will he be ranked higher then Phil next monday?? Didn't do the math yet :D

esther
10-17-2003, 02:35 PM
yeah, see the updates? and seb was already higher than mark after 3rd round so do players get poitns for losing? i guess they wouldnt would they they would get them for REACHIGN which is the same thing newayz so seb is still between mark and nalbandian...unless schrichi overtakes somehow i dunno

Lizan
10-17-2003, 02:56 PM
Great.. my day is alright again :D.. Anyway gotta go now..

esther
10-17-2003, 03:05 PM
hehe yeah me too
cya!! nice chatting to u lol bye!

sebgrosfan
10-17-2003, 04:58 PM
So do we know what's next? I assume Seb is going to St. Petersburg to defend his title... But what will Nalbandian and Phipou do?

I've got to say "vamos JC!", beat Paradorn back to Thailand and far away from Houston :) and now all of a sudden El Aynaoui is threat as well... If he wins the title, he would overtake Seb in the race!

Juanqi :smash: and :boxing: Srichaphan or else I'll be :sobbing: and :bigcry:

esther
10-19-2003, 02:43 AM
Juanqi :smash: and :boxing: Srichaphan or else I'll be :sobbing: and :bigcry:

lol
well paradorns in stockholm, seb's going to defend ST petersburg,
philippoussis and nalbandian are meant to be in basel (along with arnaud, coria and jc)

esther
10-21-2003, 06:38 AM
ENTRY AFTER MADRID:

1 Ferrero 4,570

2 Roddick 4,235

3 Federer 3,925

4 Agassi 3,170

5 Coria 2,965

6 Schuettler 2,850

7 Moya 2,705

8 Hewitt 2,465

9 Nalbandian 2,070

10 Grosjean 1,870

esther
10-21-2003, 06:41 AM
Champions Race

1st Ferrero, J. 826

2nd Roddick, A. 822

3rd Federer, R. 700

4th Agassi, A. 605

5th Coria, G. 589

6th Schuettler, R. 569

7th Moya, C. 436

8th Nalbandian, D. 358

9th Philippoussis, M. 322

10th Grosjean, S. 312

11th Srichaphan, P. 304

12th El Aynaoui, Y. 295

Lizan
10-21-2003, 01:50 PM
but the positive is, he's gotten all these points from quarters and overtaken mark so all is not lost.

But he didn't overtook Phil :confused:.. Unfortunatly :sad:

esther
10-22-2003, 03:52 AM
oh yeahhh i'm so stupid why did i think he did?!!!

esther
10-22-2003, 03:54 AM
maybe thinking in advance? Lol ;)

Lizan
10-23-2003, 09:40 PM
hehe that's GOOD. Now he did overtake Phil. After winning from Depuis, so you are right, right now!! :D

ubrunjensen
10-24-2003, 09:43 AM
Great news! But he still needs to overtake Nalbandian. I like the Argentinian, but right now I just want him to lose in Basel and Grosjean to win in Petersburg!

esther
10-24-2003, 12:15 PM
hehe that's GOOD. Now he did overtake Phil. After winning from Depuis, so you are right, right now!! :D

hehe yay finally!! *sigh* arnaud retired from his nalbandian match which is bad news unless you're marine and want to see him play well in paris next week! hehe

ubrunjensen
10-24-2003, 01:54 PM
Well, poor Grosjean certainly didn't win in Petersburg. Just lost 6-4, 2-6, 7-6 to Alex Corretja, the man who used to be invisible all year long!

esther
10-24-2003, 03:02 PM
last time we will *see* seb until mid January will be next year :(

esther
10-26-2003, 05:28 AM
Looks like Nalbandian will take the last spot

But doesnt matter coz Seb will always be a thousand times better a player than nalbandian will EVER be. Get ready for Aussie Open Seb!!!! I hope he has a better pre-AO next year than he's had in previous year...

ubrunjensen
10-27-2003, 08:37 PM
:awww: Don't say that about my Nalbandian! He's really quite a good and solid and safe player - but he's not fun to watch like Grosjean, he's not flamboyant or anything...much prefer the playing style of Grosjean, of course! Not to mention the velvety puppy-eyes and the cute dimples! :drool:
Back to business: if Grosjean can't win Masters which player do you prefer to win in his place? (of the 8 that will go to Houston)

sebgrosfan
10-28-2003, 11:28 PM
Uhm, Ferrero I guess.

esther
10-29-2003, 05:13 AM
ubrunjensen: oh sorry...didnt mean to offend you but i was very angry when i said that...you understand...lol

neway yeah GO FERREROO

ubrunjensen
10-29-2003, 08:24 AM
Oh, anger I understand...who didn't want to torture Corretja the other day? Surely the Spaniard is old enough to retire soon...I definitely want Ferrero to win. And if not Ferrero, then Coria or Federer, all but Roddick!

esther
11-01-2003, 01:19 AM
if ferrero or coria dont win then houston will be a complete joke. COMPLETE JOKE!!! well i guess if federer wins that'll be ALRIGHT but omg if andy wins...just wait for a month after that...me and liz will be armed at AO

ubrunjensen
11-03-2003, 03:41 PM
It's really awful enough as it is, with Rotten Andy being number one and winning like 6 titles this year - as if the arrogant brat needed more ego-boosting! Still very bitter about the US Open final and will dislike him even more if he goes on to win Masters! I mean, for Pete's sake, he's only 21 and already he's a plague, making me fume with resentment - Anyone but Roddick to win Masters, please...yes, I'm envious on behalf of Grosjean!

esther
11-04-2003, 11:15 AM
envious?? more like mad

ubrunjensen
11-04-2003, 11:50 AM
Uh, temper, Esther, temper!
But yes, you're right, more like mad!

esther
11-05-2003, 08:23 AM
lol yeah a lot of people have been telling me to mind my temper lately

dont worry 3 more weeks and i'm on SUMMER HOLIDAYYYYYYYYS....8 whole weeks of SUMMER AND TENNISSSSSSSS

Lizan
11-05-2003, 01:48 PM
You have?? I'm soo yalous of you.. It's so weird to think that you have summervacation, while here it is winter and I have vacation at the end of December :sad: and that's a really long time to go!!

esther
11-06-2003, 08:13 AM
summers cominnnnggg summerss comminnng summers coommmiiinnnnggg

do you get Australian open coverage over there lizan?

ubrunjensen
11-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Just wondering, which tournament would you prefer Grosjean to win, the Masters or one of the Grand Slams? I want him to win the French Open someday, and if he's never going to win a Grand Slam, then at least one of the tournemants on French soil. It must be wonderful to win a title at home!

sebgrosfan
11-06-2003, 04:46 PM
Yeah, I guess winning RG would make him the happiest. I myself don't necessarily prefer clay court tennis but if he wants RG, than RG it is!

Lizan
11-06-2003, 05:48 PM
Uhm, Esther yeah we do have Australian Open coverage (so it will be a little bit summer after all, coz you can see how hot it was on court last year).. But the problem is, it comes on tv very early in the morning :sad:, so I don't think I will be able to watch it during the week :awww: , but I do in weekends..:toothy: And we have some sort of summary of the day (Eurosport).. That cool, with players interviews and matches!!
You must be looking forward to this tourney.. I'm a little confused, do you or don't you go to AO

Uhm, Abrunjensen I don't know your real name, so just call you like this).. I think, or better yet I HOPE that Seb will win Wimbledon.. We saw what he did last year.. Anyway he was far from winning it actually, but close too.. Whatever, don't mind me, just had a crazy day :lol:

ubrunjensen
11-07-2003, 10:49 AM
Lizan (and everybody else), my real name is Ulla, but you can call me whatever you prefer. I always loved the French Open, for me it's the best Grand Slam in the world! Wimbledon is a close second. And yeah, I certainly wouldn't mind if he won it!

ubrunjensen
11-07-2003, 05:05 PM
Just a thought: I heartily dislike Hewitt, but have to admit to a reluctant admiration for his unexpected Davis Cup decision. I can't imagine ANY player who would join him in this kind of sacrifice, not to play Masters or any other singles tournament just to stay fit for the Davis Cup final against Spain. I think it's heroic and extremely unselfish - and I don't even like the guy! Still want Spain & Ferrero to win, though...

esther
11-08-2003, 01:30 AM
oooh ulla!! thank u!!! thats so much easeir to remember LOL

Lizan...OF COURSE i go to AO!!!! its like the highlight of my WHOLE year...seriously...but my parents are really tight and last year i wanted to go to Kooyong and AO but they only let me to go AO and i only went once...but yeah i've been for the past 3 years and i've cn all my favourite players except Coria who i'd hope to see next year.

next year i'm hoping to go to Qualifying...maybe one day during the first week and then my friend who i always go with will be in France until the second week so i may go with her during the second week. ooh i'm so exciiitttttttted. i want to go to kooyong too but andy will be there grrrr

esther
11-08-2003, 01:31 AM
and re: the tournament we want Seb to win...Roland Garros...OBVIOUSLY?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats the tournament seb wants more than ANYTHING in the world so i think thats obvious :D

ubrunjensen
11-08-2003, 11:04 AM
i want to go to kooyong too but andy will be there grrrr

But so will Grosjean! Even the presence of Roddick can't spoil that! I should be so lucky... ;)

esther
11-09-2003, 01:11 AM
yeah i know...i'll see
i'll hopefuly see him at AO neway

Lizan
11-09-2003, 10:24 PM
Esther I actually didn't know you like Coria (but now I see indeed).. I remember him throwing a racket to a ballgirl during the RGmatch against Verkerk. I actually felt really sorry for him, because he felt really guilty, coz I'm sure he didn't meant to do that.. I think that's why he lost, but I was kind of happy coz he had to play against a dutchy, sorry :P.

Lizan
11-09-2003, 10:26 PM
Sooo cool that you're going.. I hope to go to a grand Slam once too.. To what Grand Slams have you guys all been (went?? my english sux :lol: )??

ubrunjensen
11-10-2003, 09:07 AM
Haven't been to anyone yet, but I intend to go Roland Garros someday. Have never been in Paris either. I would love to see the Louvre and Versailles, used to be really interested in Louis XIV and his life - and of course I also want to see Grosjean play in my favourite Grand Slam! Preferably win it too...

esther
11-10-2003, 10:06 AM
Ok lizan...your english DOES DEFINATELY NOT SUCK!!!!!! Weren't you the one i was telling who all my favourites about?!!!! You know how i had my whole list of loves and hates...

neway i've been to AO and i went to Roland Garros and Wimby during the holiadys too :) of course no one was playing but still got to look around and stuf. Australian is definately my favourite tho ;)

wilma
11-10-2003, 11:16 AM
never been to a grand slam. i'm planning to go to wimbledon next year; my boyfriend's agreed, so he can stand in line for tickets (hehe). i want to go early on in the first week so there will be lots of players to be seen. hope i can watch grosjean play (will be huge disappointment if that won't work out), maybe the belgian girls or the williams sisters, nalbandian... i don't care really as long as i get to see seb.

esther
11-10-2003, 11:29 AM
ooh cool
thatd be good!!

Lizan
11-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Thanks Esther.. yeah I was the one you told that to, hehe so funny.. But I guess I didn't see that only one.. I can understand you like AO the best, becoz u live there..

I live so far away from all those GS.. Paris is the nearest, for the others I have to fly, which isn't so bad.. Anyway I'm planning to go to Australia anyway, so I might catch that one too.. Will take a while though

ubrunjensen
11-15-2003, 11:20 AM
Even if nobobdy around here really cares anymore about Masters and who'll win it in the end, I mean, Grosjean's out - I still want to complain about the misfortune of my other faves! Ferrero's just been one big disappointment, I see he bowed out with yet another loss - and the guy wants to be number one...Neither Nalbandian nor Coria made it, Coria maybe had the better chance. After all he did take a set from Roddick. It's all very depressing. Now I can only hope that Federer will do the job and stop Roddick from advancing further. I really want Federer to win Masters now, couldn't think of anything more boring than an all American final!

ubrunjensen
11-16-2003, 10:17 AM
Hurrah! I think I love Federer...he kicked Roddick out, and will now meet Agassi in the final. It's almost too good to be true! Maybe I'll even watch the final tonight...

Lizan
11-16-2003, 11:19 AM
Yeah, Federer is soooo good.. Didn't I tell ya :lol:. I definitly will be watching the final.

esther
11-18-2003, 07:12 AM
glad federer won and not an american
good for him

ubrunjensen
11-18-2003, 03:50 PM
well, if it had to be someone other than Ferrero, Coria & Nalbandian, I guess I can accept Federer. It's very impressive that he managed to win the title without losing any of his matches. I didn't watch the final, but judging from the score he really beat Agassi good!

Lizan
11-18-2003, 05:30 PM
Why do you all like the Spaniards (and Argentinians) so much? I noticed you ALL like Ferrero very much and Coria, and why not ROBREDO, I like him (but not tenniswise :lol: ).. He looks really cuuuuuteyyy.

And howecome you all DON'T like Federer :sad:. I remember there was only one person here who does, with me two :lol:.

ubrunjensen
11-18-2003, 07:04 PM
Well, I like Ferrero because he's a master on clay and because he's Spanish. I love Spain. If I should one day leave Denmark and settle down somewhere else I would choose Spain. I always support Spanish soccer teams in the Champions League and the Spanish national team at World Cups and so on - and then I support the Spanish tennis players, of course! I also like Tommy Robredo because he's a sweetie. And I don't know why you think I hate Federer. I don't. How can I convince you? I think he's a great player and that he deserved to win Wimbledon & Masters. I just don't fancy him so he's not on my list of faves. Coria I like because he's got the cutest angelface - and isn't bad at tennis! Nalbandian - tough one to answer. I just like the guy for being such a fighter. It's a bit like Grosjean. He's not handsome, he's not tall, he's not the best tennis player in the world - but I just absolutely adore him! I'm sure that both Federer and Roddick could beat him good on any surface, but still...it's Grosjean that I support!
Some things you just can't really explain.

wilma
11-18-2003, 08:19 PM
Why do you think everyone hates Federer, Lizan? I don't hate him. I think he's a great player. It's true, I don't like guys with ponytales, and I think his nose is too big and he has piggy eyes, but that is totally irrelevant - as he is such a great player and seems to be a nice person.

Lizan
11-19-2003, 04:23 PM
OMG I'm so sorry :lol:.. Didn't really meant it this way. Wilma I guess you were the one I was talking about (the one who also liked Federer). But hey it didn't bother me IF you didn't like him, I was just curious..

hehe Ulla thank you for that explanation :lol:

esther
11-20-2003, 02:43 AM
ummm JC is hot...LOL and he's a really relaly good player obviously...Guille is such an amazing player and sometimes his game reminds me of seb's jsut the way he can pull off the most amazing shots at weird times but is just a brilliant shot maker...and he's so cute...lool ummm and i dont like robredo much coz i dont know much about him and never really seen him play. i dont like federer because...i dont know i just dont