Roddick's Charity Weekend Raises $1.5 Million [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roddick's Charity Weekend Raises $1.5 Million

mangoes
12-14-2005, 11:52 PM
Roddick's Charity Weekend Raises $1.5 Million

Lionel Richie kicked off the Fifth Annual Andy Roddick Charity Dream Weekend with a concert at the Seminole Hard Rock Live Arena in Hollywood, Fla. last weekend. Richie, a five-time Grammy Award winner, rocked a full house of fans in order to help tennis inspiration Andy Roddick raise money for many children’s charities in South Florida.

Even though Richie and Roddick did not have to resort to “Dancing on the Ceiling” to help raise over $1.5 million in 2005 for the Foundation, there were many dancing in the aisles at the concert including Roddick.

“Lionel was an awesome performer and everyone had a blast at the concert,” stated Roddick. “We are very gracious that Lionel Richie was able to perform for our cause and incorporate music into the charity weekend.”

Following Richie’s charity concert, a Dinner Gala took place on Saturday, Dec. 10 at the Polo Club Boca Raton that was certainly “A Night to Remember.” Many guests dined amongst tennis stars Venus Williams and Jim Courier in addition to Roddick, and afterwards got a chance to show them their moves on the dance floor. Some of the top selling auction item packages at the Dinner Gala included $30,000 for a one hour tennis session with Andre Agassi, $20,000 for an evening with Andy Roddick, and over $20,000 for two tickets to the Oscar Party in Los Angeles.

“I was a little apprehensive about our turn out this year due to the hurricanes that greatly affected South Florida,” noted Blanche Roddick – chairman of the Foundation, “and was amazed at the generosity of our supporters after everything they have been through. Thank you to everyone who was involved and made this a great weekend.”

Sunday’s Tennis Extravaganza on Dec. 11 began with a free Kids' Zone to all children under 12 and included tennis games sponsored by USA Tennis Florida. Later in the day, a tennis exhibition took place with top pros Venus Williams, Sebastian Grosjean, Brenda Schultz, Aaron Krickstein, and special guest Grand Slam champion Jim Courier. Some fans watched the tennis exhibition in seats that were only a few feet away from the players, and others got the opportunity to return Roddick’s world record fastest-serve (clocked at 154 mph). Roddick ended the charity weekend by personally meeting, and spending time, with some of his biggest special needs fans in the players lounge

Celebrities who attended the charity weekend events included 2005 Miss America Deidre Downs, 2002 Olympic Gold medalist Sarah Hughes, and 2005 Andy Roddick Foundation Distinguished Honoree Brian Edwards. Andre Agassi, who was supposed to participate in Sunday’s tennis exhibition, was unable to attend this year due to an injury. Although Agassi could not be apart of the tennis action, he paid for the private airfare of Jim Courier to take his place. Agassi also committed to attending the Foundation’s tennis exhibition for the next two years, and kindly made a $75,000 donation.

Very Nice Andy :D

Horatio Caine
12-15-2005, 01:10 AM
WTG Andy :yeah:

prima donna
12-15-2005, 01:13 AM
Andy has his own thread you know ...

lau
12-15-2005, 01:39 AM
There are threads about awards Roger DIDN´T win in GM, I don´t see the reason why this shouldn´t be posted here :shrug:
Good for Andy :yeah: :)

mojo37_12
12-15-2005, 01:49 AM
Good Work Andy!!! :)

Federerthebest
12-15-2005, 01:50 AM
Is the Roddick forum closed? :scratch:

lau
12-15-2005, 01:52 AM
I guess is as closed as Roger´s ;) :p
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=2808227&postcount=4

Federerthebest
12-15-2005, 02:06 AM
I guess is as closed as Roger´s

Yes, but if tangerine_cow can complain whenever a thread about Federer is posted in this forum, then I can do the same for any abberant Roddick threads that show up ;)

lau
12-15-2005, 02:18 AM
That makes a lot of sense :smash:

BTW, if this is an abberant thread, is as abberant (or even less) as the ones about the awards Roger didn´t win (and I`m not saying they are abberant ;) )

Deboogle!.
12-15-2005, 02:23 AM
Wow, some people are truly :retard:

anyway, sounds like the weekend was quite a success for the underprivileged kids, they are what matter. :)

NicoFan
12-15-2005, 02:37 AM
More proof what a good guy Andy is and how much he does for charity and to promote the sport.

Kudos to Andy.... :worship:

Deboogle!.
12-15-2005, 02:41 AM
More proof what a good guy Andy is and how much he does for charity and to promote the sport.

Kudos to Andy.... :worship:Nah, his charity stuff is just a smoke screen that lets him get close to a whole bunch of kids so he can eat them ;)

NicoFan
12-15-2005, 02:48 AM
Nah, his charity stuff is just a smoke screen that lets him get close to a whole bunch of kids so he can eat them ;)

Silly me....how could I forget? We only get reminded how he's responsible for the end of the tennis world as we know EVERY DAY here on GM. ;) :lol:

mangoes
12-15-2005, 06:20 AM
Andy has his own thread you know ...

Shut up

mangoes
12-15-2005, 06:22 AM
Yes, but if tangerine_cow can complain whenever a thread about Federer is posted in this forum, then I can do the same for any abberant Roddick threads that show up ;)

lololol...........can you complain in the threads started by tangerine? We also post about Roger's charity work overhere, so fair is fair........... Andy did a good thing :D

pikespeak
12-15-2005, 10:02 AM
You guys are hilarious!

nobama
12-15-2005, 12:08 PM
Is the Roddick forum closed? :scratch:You do know if you don't like a thread you can ignore it...

partygirl
12-15-2005, 01:12 PM
money:toothy:

star
12-15-2005, 01:39 PM

I thought Tangy adored Roger. :confused:

I think you are way off base thinking Tangy doesn't like Roger or complains about threads begun about him. I think there's a thread for Roger on Andy's forum just so he can be adored even more. :) :)

BelgianWaffle
12-15-2005, 02:17 PM
:worship: Andy!

tangerine_dream
12-15-2005, 08:20 PM
Nice to see a rare positive thread about Roddick in GM. Well done to Andy on his successful charity work. :hatoff:

I thought Tangy adored Roger. :confused:
I do :hearts: It's Roger's unfortunate fanatical loser fan boys like Dirk and thebestFedtard that I don't like. :awww:

No, but poor imitations of me are always in season.

cincy
12-15-2005, 09:19 PM
Andre's charity evening raised $10 million back in October. :angel:

But, anyway, Andy's charity is a good thing and he is to be congraulated for a good effort. :D

Clara Bow
12-16-2005, 12:42 AM
Andre's charity evening raised $10 million back in October.

But, anyway, Andy's charity is a good thing and he is to be congraulated for a good effort.

:lol: So are we comparing amounts raised by tennis charities now? When Roddick is in his mid-30s maybe he will raise $10 million. ;)

Well done Andy!

Seleshfan
12-16-2005, 12:53 AM
Okay, which one of you whore shelled out the $20,000 for an evening with Andy. :mad:

heya
12-16-2005, 01:51 AM
Uh, for 1 cent, I was able to eat whipped cream from Federer's chest.

euroka1
12-16-2005, 03:05 AM
[QUOTE=tangerine_dream]Nice to see a rare positive thread about Roddick in GM. Well done to Andy on his successful charity work. :hatoff:

IQUOTE]

Yes, even I think this is great work. :wavey: