Will Lleyton Hewitt ever win the Aus Open? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will Lleyton Hewitt ever win the Aus Open?

Jimnik
12-11-2005, 02:02 PM
Just to complete the set - last one, I promise. ;)

No-one can doubt his determination to win this event. Last year, he even spent Christmas Day training for the tournament. But he has admitted that the courts are too slow for his liking. So, will determination be enough?

Thoughts please!

Devotee
12-11-2005, 02:23 PM
There's too much pressure on him playing at home.

Galaxystorm
12-11-2005, 02:27 PM
He should have won the Aus open before Roger reached his current God's level ( that is before 2004 ) , and before Nadal and Gasquet appeared on ATP tour as great threats .
Now his chances are much lower in comparison with some years ago.

I have no idea if he will win it .

Federerthebest
12-11-2005, 02:28 PM
Yes, I believe he will win it at some stage.

Jimnik
12-11-2005, 02:44 PM
It might be a question of whether he gets a little bit of luck one year. He needs a good draw and, with certain other players getting knocked out, he could certainly do it.

Unfortunately, as time goes by, there'll be more and more players capable of winning this tournament (Gasquet, Djokovic, Berdych etc) and it will become much harder. I think, if he's going to win it, it has to be this year or next year.

Federerthebest
12-11-2005, 02:56 PM
Why on earth do people keep bringing up Djokovic as if he's one of the next big things? He is not. He has the ability to be a solid top-20 player but no more. There is nothing at all remarkable about his game; he is a factory player, cast out of the same mold as so many of the other European baseliners.

mr_burns
12-11-2005, 03:51 PM
i totally agree...hewitt should have won in it in 2000-2003 but he lost matches....couldn't believe...Now Federer and Nadal are there.

LaTenista
12-11-2005, 04:16 PM
Only way I can see him winning is if Fed, Marat, and Rafa all lose before the SFs. Looking very doubtful now too with Nalbandian stepping up.

Fergie
12-11-2005, 04:52 PM
He will win it someday :)

landoud
12-11-2005, 06:02 PM
yeah, he will someday

DrJules
12-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Why on earth do people keep bringing up Djokovic as if he's one of the next big things? He is not. He has the ability to be a solid top-20 player but no more. There is nothing at all remarkable about his game; he is a factory player, cast out of the same mold as so many of the other European baseliners.

:scratch: Are European baseliners another term for "3rd world dirtballers". If they are different what is the difference.

DrJules
12-11-2005, 06:11 PM
Lleyton Hewitt does seem to have crowd support in Australia which may enhance his chances. He came very close in 2005 and looked at times as if he was going to win.

GonzoFan
12-11-2005, 07:27 PM
Yeah, probably ...
I would love to see him winning the Australian Open :D
C'mon Lleyton!!! :rocker2:

almouchie
12-11-2005, 09:26 PM
i think he is past his best, but AO being in his homeland he will have a chance, a fair chance as he is consistent to reach latter stages but not necesarily cruising

mangoes
12-11-2005, 10:42 PM
Hewitt could win the AO, but I won't put money on it happening.

cris1085
12-12-2005, 09:11 AM
I hope he will win the AO, but for this year the AO will go to Federer

gsm
12-12-2005, 10:21 AM
yeah, he will someday
thats the spirit!

truly hope so, obviously rog has been a huge hurdle the last two years.

but i think he can do it! :)

Jimnik
12-12-2005, 10:53 AM
What about Marat? He was a hurdle this year too.

I think Lleyton will need a better draw than he got in 2005. Even with all the training, I don't think he was quite prepared for long matches against Nadal, Nalbandian, Roddick and Safin. That must have been one of the toughest routes to a grand slam final, ever.

its.like.that
12-12-2005, 11:22 AM
wow... so many morons saying he will. :rolleyes:

Experimentee
12-12-2005, 12:00 PM
He's never really done well consistently at the AO. Last year was the first time he made it past the R16, and he struggled through all his matches in 5 sets, with an easier draw than Safin or Federer. Last year was his best chance and I dont see him winning it in the future.

Experimentee
12-12-2005, 12:04 PM
What about Marat? He was a hurdle this year too.

I think Lleyton will need a better draw than he got in 2005. Even with all the training, I don't think he was quite prepared for long matches against Nadal, Nalbandian, Roddick and Safin. That must have been one of the toughest routes to a grand slam final, ever.

Those names look tough now, but at the time it was a pretty good draw for Hewitt. Nadal had not yet improved to the level he is at now, Nalbandian and Roddick were out of form (Roddick had a really easy draw and would not have made the SF if he'd faced anyone decent playing like how he was) and Safin was really nervous at the start of the final match.

Deea
12-12-2005, 01:19 PM
I really can't see Lleyton winning the AO...I don't know why...I just don't!

thelma
12-12-2005, 01:22 PM
Yes :)

RogiFan88
12-12-2005, 01:45 PM
My question is not so much will Lleyt ever win AO, but why did it take him so long to make the F of the AO? What has prevented Lleyton from winning the AO?

Sugar Kane
12-12-2005, 01:58 PM
My question is not so much will Lleyt ever win AO, but why did it take him so long to make the F of the AO? What has prevented Lleyton from winning the AO?
Maybe the same thing that prevented Rafter... :(

RogiFan88
12-12-2005, 02:12 PM
...which was: pressure of playing at home? choking? injuries? opponent just too good at the time? [what a pity that Rafter never won Wimby, DC or AO]

Socket
12-12-2005, 03:46 PM
The major problem that both Pat and Lleyton had/have with playing the AO is the surface. While they have different games, they both prefer faster surfaces, which accounts for why their records at the US Open and Wimbledon are so much better than at Melbourne.

Jimnik
12-12-2005, 06:13 PM
The surface is definately slower than other hard courts. Sampras use to always beat Agassi on North American hard courts but Agassi always beat him at the Australian Open. Also, Jim Courier was more successful on the Rebound Ace than on the Deco Turf.

Rafter, Hewitt and most other Australian players clearly prefer their faster surfaces, which is why Lleyton was complaining about the surface this year. I don't think it has anything to do with the pressure of playing in front of the home croud.

DrJules
12-12-2005, 06:17 PM
The major problem that both Pat and Lleyton had/have with playing the AO is the surface. While they have different games, they both prefer faster surfaces, which accounts for why their records at the US Open and Wimbledon are so much better than at Melbourne.

Much is said about the speed of the courts at the Australian Open. However, by being faster than the clay at the French Open and slower than the grass at Wimbledon (Decoturf at the US Open I consider to be the fastest surface) it does mean that the full speed range is covered by the grand slams. Any change at the Australian Open would alter the speed balance and be rather unfair to players who prefer slower courts.

musefanatic
12-12-2005, 08:30 PM
There's too much pressure on him to win

Federerthebest
12-13-2005, 01:08 AM
Rafter would have won it. If it wasn't for that crazy injury when he was about to close out the semi against Agassi... :mad:

gsm
12-13-2005, 02:56 AM
If it wasn't for that crazy injury when he was about to close out the semi against Agassi... :mad:
crazy injury - leg cramps

cramps finished rafters career. :sad:

Federerthebest
12-13-2005, 03:02 AM
crazy injury - leg cramps

cramps finished rafters career.

Was it leg cramps? All I remember is that he started sweating like a pig and became completely drained of energy; could barely get his serve into the box after that. :sad:

gsm
12-13-2005, 03:19 AM
Was it leg cramps? All I remember is that he started sweating like a pig and became completely drained of energy; could barely get his serve into the box after that. :sad:
from memory the sweating was thought to be causing the cramps.

just going from faint memory, so maybe i am very wrong.

drf716
12-14-2005, 03:12 AM
there'll always be a bigger name to stop him

Jimnik
12-15-2005, 08:48 PM
This year, I think the only bigger name(s) will be Federer. If Lleyton prepares as well as he did last year, he can beat everyone except Roger.

Last year, he lost to Marat because he "ran out of gas". He had to play 3 extremely tough matches to get to the final but, this year, his draw might be easier.

Rex
12-16-2005, 03:13 PM
he can, its quite possible, but you know :rolleyes: feds is about

keep_er_lit!
12-16-2005, 04:00 PM
I think he will win it someday - maybe even this year - no-one knows just what condition Fed, Nadal and Safin are going to be in.

Jimnik
01-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Surely it's not going to happen now. He claims the courts are getting even slower and allowing all the clay court players, like Chela, to play their best tennis.

If the Aussies agree to speed up the courts then maybe he has a small chance but, even then, he'll surely not be able to beat Federer.

MisterQ
01-19-2006, 05:41 PM
The surface is definately slower than other hard courts. Sampras use to always beat Agassi on North American hard courts but Agassi always beat him at the Australian Open. Also, Jim Courier was more successful on the Rebound Ace than on the Deco Turf.

In general that's true. :yeah: But there has been some variation from year to year. For example, the balls and conditions in 2000 made play very quick-- most of the complaints were that it was too fast! (That's why I consider Andre's victory over Pete that year to be one of his greatest.) ;)

Sam L (WTAW)
01-19-2006, 08:02 PM
He will never win a slam again.