Will Roger Federer ever win Roland Garros? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will Roger Federer ever win Roland Garros?

Jimnik
12-11-2005, 01:48 PM
Again, I'm sorry if there's already a thread for this.

Will Rafa always be there to stop him? Or will Roger start getting the better of him, on the dirt? Are there any other factors?

Thoughts please!

Fergie
12-11-2005, 01:50 PM
Yes, why no :)

Action Jackson
12-11-2005, 01:51 PM
This has already been done.

Jimnik
12-11-2005, 02:06 PM
Well, I'm not very good at finding old threads.

mandy20
12-11-2005, 02:07 PM
I hope he never wins the french

Devotee
12-11-2005, 02:12 PM
if he gets a good draw

Jimnik
12-11-2005, 02:14 PM
But, even with a good draw, doesn't he need to beat Rafa?

stebs
12-11-2005, 02:17 PM

yes but he is capable of beating Rafa. I think he will win it in 06

Galaxystorm
12-11-2005, 02:17 PM
For me the answer is pretty obvious . Y+E+S , S+U+R+E

LaTenista
12-11-2005, 04:35 PM
:shrug: I don't know. Maybe. Pete never won RG so who's to say the same fate may not befall Roger?

shotgun
12-11-2005, 04:44 PM
Yes, definately. It's just a matter of time.

Fergie
12-11-2005, 04:46 PM
:shrug: I don't know. Maybe. Pete never won RG so who's to say the same fate may not befall Roger?
Roger isn't Pete :)

enqvistfan
12-11-2005, 05:21 PM
I hope he'll win. He deserves it.

DrJules
12-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Yes it is probable that Roger Federer will win the French Open. However, John McEnroe, Boris Becker, Stefan Edberg and Pete Sampras all FAILED to win the French Open and complete their full set of 4 grand slams. Actually I think Nadal is more likely to win the US Open and possibly Andy Roddick is to win Wimbledon than Roger is to win the French Open.

landoud
12-11-2005, 05:54 PM
there's nothing impossible in tennis

keqtqiadv
12-11-2005, 06:49 PM
Roger doesn't need a good draw to win. One day, he will be RG champion.

keqtqiadv
12-11-2005, 06:51 PM
He can do it.

prima donna
12-11-2005, 06:51 PM
He's on a fairly good path to do so.

NyGeL
12-11-2005, 06:52 PM

Becouse Roger have the best serve, volley, forehand, backhand, slice, kick, top, etc.

yes, he will win more than once :)

RonE
12-11-2005, 07:01 PM
He definitely has the game to do it. He has shown it this year by making the semis and at times seemed to have the match against Nadal in his control, but couldn't keep applying the pressure.

In terms of technique and ability there is nothing lacking. What Roger does need to do is change his mindset when playing on the clay and be prepared to hang in there and grind out matches as it were. However, as he himself said in one of his interviews, he was clueless as to how to play on the Parisian clay but reaching the semis this year coming so close has given him the confidence that he can go all the way.

To give himself the best possible chance I think he would also need to skip Miami and go back to Europe early enough to prepare properly for Monte Carlo and give himself a decent chance for once to win the event. Monte Carlo has traditionally been a very good precursor as to which players are the form players for Paris with the winner of MC going on to at least make the final in RG if not win it in recent years. If he were to win Monte Carlo that would give his confidence an extra boost for the rest of the clay season leading up to Paris.

mangoes
12-11-2005, 10:43 PM
Without a doubt, YES.

Jimnik
12-12-2005, 01:27 AM
He definitely has the game to do it. He has shown it this year by making the semis and at times seemed to have the match against Nadal in his control, but couldn't keep applying the pressure.

In terms of technique and ability there is nothing lacking. What Roger does need to do is change his mindset when playing on the clay and be prepared to hang in there and grind out matches as it were. However, as he himself said in one of his interviews, he was clueless as to how to play on the Parisian clay but reaching the semis this year coming so close has given him the confidence that he can go all the way.

To give himself the best possible chance I think he would also need to skip Miami and go back to Europe early enough to prepare properly for Monte Carlo and give himself a decent chance for once to win the event. Monte Carlo has traditionally been a very good precursor as to which players are the form players for Paris with the winner of MC going on to at least make the final in RG if not win it in recent years. If he were to win Monte Carlo that would give his confidence an extra boost for the rest of the clay season leading up to Paris.
I agree. I think Roger needs to play more clay tournaments leading up to Roland Garros. This year, he played just 2 clay tournaments before going to Paris whereas Nadal had played 8.

He won't go to South America in February but he should, at least, try to play 4 European clay tournaments next year.

Oriental_Rain
12-12-2005, 04:05 AM
he can if he put his heart and soul to it just like what he does on wimby.
HE WILL WIN RG ONE DAY

yomike
12-12-2005, 11:37 AM
He can but I hope not, Nadal and Co. will prevent him.

ServeAlready81
12-12-2005, 05:43 PM
I think he will win it in the future. Maybe as early as 2006 even. Everyone is saying oh "Nadal, Nadal, Nadal" but isn't Roland Garros the slam that is LEAST defended. Aren't there only a few men who have sucessfully defended their title here?? Not saying that Nadal WON'T, but history shows it to be a difficult task.

Jimnik
12-12-2005, 06:17 PM
I think Nadal is an exceptional player and he won't be worried about history.

Federer's biggest problem is that he seems to be more focused on retaining Wimbledon than on winning Roland Garros. I think he needs to decide, one year, to fully focus all his attention on clay.

BlackSilver
12-12-2005, 08:00 PM
I think Nadal is an exceptional player and he won't be worried about history.

Federer's biggest problem is that he seems to be more focused on retaining Wimbledon than on winning Roland Garros. I think he needs to decide, one year, to fully focus all his attention on clay.

:rolleyes:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=2796667#post2796667

musefanatic
12-12-2005, 08:21 PM
I don't think he will to be honest