Shane Warne lands BBC Overseas accolade (sorry Rog) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Shane Warne lands BBC Overseas accolade (sorry Rog)

nobama
12-11-2005, 02:05 AM
Fed won this award last year so not too surprising he didn't get it....although I'm not so sure about Warne. :shrug:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/4514838.stm

Warne lands BBC Overseas accolade

Australian leg-spin great Shane Warne has been named BBC Overseas Sports Personality of the Year 2005.

He will receive the award from Richie Benaud during Sunday's programme, which is shown on BBC ONE from 2000 GMT.

Warne, 36, was Australia's shining light this year, taking 40 wickets in the Ashes defeat to England.

"I am very proud of this achievement and am delighted to receive this award," said Test cricket's leading wicket-taker with 645 victims.

Warne was up against strong competition in the running for the award, with Formula One champion Fernando Alonso, six-times Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong and Wimbledon champ Roger Federer among his rivals.

"Shane Warne has entertained cricket fans for years with his outstanding talent and contributed enormously to a thrilling Ashes series," said programme editor Philip Bernie.

"His extraordinary achievements on the field, combined with his charismatic personality have made him a true sporting superstar, and an extremely worthy winner of this award."

Kristen
12-11-2005, 02:08 AM
BBC... British.... makes me think of the number of scandals with British women he's had, and whether or not the voting was conducted online, or via SMS. We all know how good he (and his lady friends) are with SMS's :tape:

bad gambler
12-11-2005, 02:11 AM
don't like warne but fair enough he won it - single handedly made australia competitive in the Ashes, would have been a blowout otherwise

Federerthebest
12-11-2005, 02:16 AM
Warne deserves it, though I hate his personality.

Corey Feldman
12-11-2005, 02:35 AM
well deserved, he was the only aussie cricketer i liked watching during the ashes, well i liked Gilly as well
but im sure they only gave this award to him so he'd come on the show therefore, they could flaunt the victorious english team in front of an aussie all night.
this is the english for you :rolleyes:

adee-gee
12-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Young Andy Murray could well win young personality of the year. A rather sad indictment on British sport considering he didn't win anything :lol:

gooner88
12-11-2005, 10:53 PM
Young Andy Murray could well win young personality of the year. A rather sad indictment on British sport considering he didn't win anything :lol:

He won that award last year after winning the U.S Open juniors.
He was on the shortlist to win the main award this year.
But Freddie Flintoff won. :worship:

nobama
12-11-2005, 11:15 PM
He won that award last year after winning the U.S Open juniors.
He was on the shortlist to win the main award this year.
But Freddie Flintoff won. :worship:Thank god. I have nothing against Murray, but you shouldn't win an award like that just because you show promise and the public has high hopes you'll be really good in the future. It should be based on current accomplishments.

Corey Feldman
12-12-2005, 12:53 AM
what an idiotic show, same old thing every year... whatever england did well at, gets reviewed for 80% of the show, and to hell with everything else.... some english women sailing around the world on a boat even got more coverage than tennis/golf combined and in the end the obvious winner, freddie flintstone, infact that's an insult to the orig caveman fred flintstone who had more brains than this english cricket idiot :rolleyes:

time to do away with this crap

Sjengster
12-12-2005, 02:12 AM
You fancy breaking away from England and setting up a republic with its own Scottish Sports Personality of the Year, that's fine by me. Didn't the Welsh Grand Slam in rugby get a little feature early on?

As for Flintoff, well... to continue your theme, that's a no-brainer. Despite your criticisms of his intellect (and goodness knows, that's what we prize most of all in our successful sportsmen, a la Tim "I don't like reading, it's boring" Henman), the key word in that sentence is "english". Were he Scottish, and playing a popular Scottish sport, his idiocy would inexplicably be forgotten about and his achievements praised to the heavens.

Corey Feldman
12-12-2005, 02:40 AM
The only thing he glorified was what a piss head he could be like most of the team the next morning after they won...
going to downing street drunk with red eyes.. him , pieterson, vaughan and all the upper class twits who probably got drunk for the first time... and english media glorify these dimwits .... english idiot laddism and drinking culture being cool is very 10 years ago.

glorious England :retard:

the true best are the likes of Ricky Hatton, Monty, Gerrard, Carragher, Lampard... great sportsmen in and out of the ring/course/pitch, 100% professionals in tougher sports than cricket.
Flintoff won because england winning the ashes was the highlight of the sporting year for the knobs.
ala jonny wilkinson 2003

Were he Scottish, and playing a popular Scottish sport, his idiocy would inexplicably be forgotten about and his achievements praised to the heavens.Im amazed that 1982 and 1988 world darts champion Jocky Wilson never won it

Corey Feldman
12-12-2005, 02:47 AM
Hatton was my choice, he puts more hard work into a day training for a fight than flinstone does in 6 months.
i bet freddie's idea of a balanced diet is a cheeseburger in each hand.

Sjengster
12-12-2005, 03:30 AM
I wasn't particularly enamoured with the all-night drinking sessions either, but on balance I could accept it, and I'd like to think that the victory had a greater impact on an impressionable public/youth of today than their bucolic celebrations did. Perhaps cricket isn't the most physically demanding sport, but Flintoff still had to display skill, nerve and endurance to get the results he did in virtually every match.

It was certainly the highlight of the sporting year for me, so that must make me a knob too because of the three letters beside my name.

Corey Feldman
12-12-2005, 11:41 PM
Well
nobody's perfect

Sjengster
12-13-2005, 10:12 AM
Nobody's perfect! Nobody's perfect!!! Hmm, nobody's perfect....

Action Jackson
12-13-2005, 10:22 AM
Bowling Warney.

Peta Pan
12-13-2005, 12:51 PM
I wasn't particularly enamoured with the all-night drinking sessions either, but on balance I could accept it, and I'd like to think that the victory had a greater impact on an impressionable public/youth of today than their bucolic celebrations did. Perhaps cricket isn't the most physically demanding sport, but Flintoff still had to display skill, nerve and endurance to get the results he did in virtually every match.

It was certainly the highlight of the sporting year for me, so that must make me a knob too because of the three letters beside my name.
:bigclap:

I'm just going to applaud this post coz I can't be bothered badrepping other ones tonight :rolleyes:

A lot of knobs around this year then apparantly. No one enjoyed the Ashes more than me, so I'm a knob too - but I'll be a proud knob, because I couldn't be more proud of the job those guys did this year!

As for the original topic, Warne makes perfect sense to be the winner for the Overseas award. I don't like the guy for his infidelities and personality but there is no doubting he is a brilliant cricketer who brings fans to the game so he deserves it.