Since Hewitt has Wimbledon can Nadal win too? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Since Hewitt has Wimbledon can Nadal win too?

henree
12-10-2005, 06:12 PM
Its hard for me to believe with Nadal's playing style that he can win Wimbledon. But Hewitt plays a similar style and he won. So can Nadal possibly win Wimbledon before he retires?

keqtqiadv
12-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Hewitt has a better serve and a much better volley. Rafa needs to improve his serve and net playing. Heavier shots from baseline would also help.
But I think he needs to win a hard court one first.

Frederick16
12-10-2005, 06:25 PM
cant see him doing that. federer roddick johansson will be sharing them in the couple of years

prima donna
12-10-2005, 06:26 PM
Nadal & Hewitt are 2 breeds of defensive player.

Nadal - dirtball defense.
Hewitt - defense to suited to faster surfaces.

It shows just how much different the world of clay is.

Hewitt enjoys returning quicker serves, enjoys pace and isn't bothered by slice nearly as much.

Nadal on the other hand, is not nearly the returner that Lleyton is, doesn't like too much pace and is vulnerable with those extreme grips to slice.

Hewitt is a classic counterpuncher.
Nadal is not a true counterpuncher, his game is more of a reflection of the only way there is really to win on clay (unless your name is Guga Kuerten) and that's not very pretty.

They are both in defensive mode, but no, Nadal has way too many spins in his artillery, he can't flatten them out and maintain any sort of consistency. Plus, last I checked: Roger Federer.

It is so far fetched, no, no and more NO.

Sjengster
12-10-2005, 06:31 PM
The concept of Hewitt and Nadal's "similar styles" is about as amusing as that thread describing Nadal as a left-handed Hewitt that popped up in GM during the clay season.

Deboogle!.
12-10-2005, 06:46 PM
It's also important to remember that grass bounces low and Hewitt likes that, whereas Rafa loves the spin, and his spinny shots aren't nearly as effective on grass and Hewitt hits a lot flatter. I think Rafa will always also have the simple logistical problem that he will always do well at RG and play a very full and have successful clay seasons, so it will be harder for him to do well at Wimbledon (not impossible obviously, but harder)

That said, Rafa has said many times that he wants to do well at Wimbledon so I am sure he will do well there soon.

Galaxystorm
12-10-2005, 07:01 PM
Its hard for me to believe with Nadal's playing style that he can win Wimbledon. But Hewitt plays a similar style and he won. So can Nadal possibly win Wimbledon before he retires?

What are you talking about a similar playstyle ??

They are quite different technically , Hewitt hits flat Nadal with topspin , Hewitt hits the serve with slice and Nadal's serve is different. Hewitt is more attacking and plays deeper than Nadal . They are just similar in their great speed and mobility , and their great mental strenght

I remember to read a lot of times that Nadal was very similar to Hewitt when Rafa was beginning on ATP tour in 2003 and 2004.

These persons only noticed about that both players celebrated the points very effusively , both players were bulls on courts , were great fighters, that is they used non-techinical reasons to compare both players .

Talking tennistically both players are technically quite different and for me they aren't similar at all .

I have always considered Santoro together with Nadal, the two players less orthodox on ATP tour , since it's very difficult to find a player who has a similar playstyle .

Personally the player who reminds me more Nadal ( i'm referring to the way of hitting the ball ) is Koubek, he's lefty and plays with a lot of topsin like Nadal.

Galaxystorm
12-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Hewitt has a better serve and a much better volley. Rafa needs to improve his serve and net playing. Heavier shots from baseline would also help.
But I think he needs to win a hard court one first.

Heavier shots from the baseline ??

I don't know if i'm misunderstanding you , but do you mean the weight of the ball , right ???

Nadal's hits the heaviest forehand on ATP tour , none has a heavier ball than Nadal.

So , i don't know what you mean with heavier shots ?? Unless you meant he needs to hit a forehand more fast, that is to hit with less topspin and more flat and thus his forehand would be faster and he could get more winners .
If you meant this last argument, i agree with you

DrJules
12-10-2005, 07:19 PM
It's also important to remember that grass bounces low and Hewitt likes that, whereas Rafa loves the spin, and his spinny shots aren't nearly as effective on grass and Hewitt hits a lot flatter. I think Rafa will always also have the simple logistical problem that he will always do well at RG and play a very full and have successful clay seasons, so it will be harder for him to do well at Wimbledon (not impossible obviously, but harder)

That said, Rafa has said many times that he wants to do well at Wimbledon so I am sure he will do well there soon.

It would be very difficult for Rafael Nadal, but he does have the knowledge that Bjorn Borg from 1978 to 1980 managed to win Roland Garros and Wimbledon each year and nearly did it for a fourth successive year in 1981. Borg also had the complication that he had to adapt each year from playing baseline players at Roland Garros to serve-volley players at Wimbledon. Most players now play from the baseline at both Roland Garros and Wimbledon. Borg just like Nadal liked standing a long way behind the baseline and hit with extreme top spin on both the forehand and backhand.

However, you are correct about the difficulty. Based on historic records, it seems much more common and I quess easier to do the Wimbledon-US Open double in a year than the Roland Garros-Wimbledon double. The 2 week adaption period between the clay and grass is incredibly difficult. Borg always found practising was the best solution to adapting and played no tournament between Roland Garros and Wimbledon.

tangerine_dream
12-10-2005, 07:23 PM
I don't think they have similar styles at all.

DrJules
12-10-2005, 07:37 PM

Yes. Nadal can win Wimbledon if he adapts. He has the natural advantage of being a left hander. Left handed sliced serves on grass courts, because they swing wide to right handers backhands and keep low, are very effective. Rafael's height and physical builds should enable him to develop a powerful and effective sliced serve which would make his service games difficult to break.

The major problem Rafael will suffer on grass is the ability to break serve. His groundstrokes have too much backswing and he seems to struggle returning fast serves on fast courts. Hewitt has shorter backswings and combined with faster reactions returns fast serves more easily. The difference is most evident if you compare Hewitt and Nadal returning the Roddick serve at the US Open which is the only place where both Hewitt and Nadal have faced the Roddick serve.

keqtqiadv
12-11-2005, 12:29 AM
Heavier shots from the baseline ??

I don't know if i'm misunderstanding you , but do you mean the weight of the ball , right ???

Nadal's hits the heaviest forehand on ATP tour , none has a heavier ball than Nadal.

So , i don't know what you mean with heavier shots ?? Unless you meant he needs to hit a forehand more fast, that is to hit with less topspin and more flat and thus his forehand would be faster and he could get more winners .
If you meant this last argument, i agree with you
Hehe, that's what I wanted to say. Sorry for the confusion.

Fergie
12-11-2005, 12:45 AM
No, he can't

Federerthebest
12-11-2005, 12:50 AM
Nadal will never win Wimbledon. I in fact struggle to see him ever getting past the fourth round.

LaTenista
12-11-2005, 02:33 AM
I think Nadal can win the big W. However, he needs to work on his grass game and I don't imagine he'll win it in the next few years, maybe about 2008 or 2009.

AgassiDomination
12-11-2005, 02:46 AM
They have similar styles? :eek:

shotgun
12-11-2005, 02:49 AM
There's a long road until Nadal wins Wimbledon. Honestly I don't see it happening, but I wouldn't be surprised if he reaches QF the next year or so.

yomike
12-11-2005, 06:07 AM
He's probability of winning Wimbledon is the same as Roddick lifting the trophy in Paris.

Action Jackson
12-11-2005, 06:39 AM

What cause they play from the baseline and they run a lot, they are similar?

Gonzo Hates Me!
12-11-2005, 06:46 AM
Nadal will be one of those players who has really good results on a variety of surfaces and peaks on a variety of surfaces, but doesn't mean he will win the grandest tournaments on surfaces not clay. The chances of winning Wimbledon are very slim. He will just have a really good result or two there in his career.

KimKong
12-11-2005, 07:05 AM
Wimbledon can't be a surface nadal can win on. Hewitt has great cahnces of winning again and that all depends on one Roger Federer. I'd say taht Hewitt is the second best grass player right now. With Roddick coming close in third becasue of his huge serve.

MartinaH4MVP
12-11-2005, 10:51 AM
Nadal can only win Wimbledon if he receives the easiest draw in tennis history, as Hewitt did.

MartinaH4MVP
12-11-2005, 10:52 AM
Aside from Federer, Agassi is the favorite for Wimbledon. He has the best grasscourt return of all-time (I mean his current return).

Experimentee
12-11-2005, 11:22 AM
Nadal can win if he gets a similar draw that Hewitt did in 2002, but I dont see that happening again in the near future. They dont have similar playing styles at all btw, Hewitt's is much more suited to grass.

mojo37_12
12-11-2005, 11:33 AM
Well, being a clay-courter didn't stop Conchita Martinez from winning Wimbledon. The grass has been slowed down during the couple of years so Nadal winning Wimbledon is not exactly far-fetched as most of you would think... But I think he would probably win the Aussie or US Open before he wins Wimbledon.

nkhera1
12-11-2005, 03:28 PM
First of all Hewitt and Nadal play different styles as mentioned numerous times. Hewitt's style is better suited for hard courts and grass wheras Nadal's isn't because he can't handle short balls, he stands pretty far back, and his strokes lose some of their bite (can't really think of a better word); wheras Hewitt is pretty much the opposite. Also Nadal already hits pretty heavy balls so thats not the problem. However, the most important reason that Nadal won't win Wimbledon is because when Hewitt did there wasn't as much competition as everyone (like Federer, Roddick) was either too young or too old. With Federer and other players developing it is highly unlikely that Nadal will be able to win Wimbledon but that doesn't mean he can't go farther than the 2nd round.

Galaxystorm
12-11-2005, 05:31 PM
One of the main differences is that Hewitt knows grass surface since he was a boy , and on the other hand Nadal the first time that he played/practised/stepped on a grass court was in Wimbledon juniors 2002 . . If we add up all the days that Nadal has practised/stepped on grass in his whole life are less than 30.

In Spain there isn't no grass court.

DrJules
12-11-2005, 05:48 PM
One of the main differences is that Hewitt knows grass surface since he was a boy , and on the other hand Nadal the first time that he played/practised/stepped on a grass court was in Wimbledon juniors 2002 . . If we add up all the days that Nadal has practised/stepped on grass in his whole life are less than 30.

I think that nearly everyone in the top 100 has little grass court experience. It has become almost an extinct surface for playing tennis despite the game being called Lawn Tennis.

HappyAndie
12-11-2005, 06:08 PM

However, as I recall, Nadal is a having a grass court built in Mallorca somewhere for him to practice. So, perhaps, that is not so much of a problem once it is completed.

It will definitely be a few years before he wins Wimbledon, but what must be considered is the drive. He says that he wants to win Wimbledon most of all. As evident from his schedule next year, he is trying to improve on surfaces besides clay. I'm sure that he has the ability to adapt if given the time. And at 19, time is on his side.

I say he wins Wimbledon in 2011.

propi
12-11-2005, 07:41 PM
Well, being a clay-courter didn't stop Conchita Martinez from winning Wimbledon. The grass has been slowed down during the couple of years so Nadal winning Wimbledon is not exactly far-fetched as most of you would think... But I think he would probably win the Aussie or US Open before he wins Wimbledon.
LOL at talking about Conchita...
That day Conchita gave a passing, lobbing and slicing master class... I still can remember watching Nadal hitting a slice backhand :o
Plus true, Conchita has great clay results... but her game is suited for grass to... slice serve and backhand that almost don't bounce and a killing forehand :worship:
Said that talking about anyother player I would say no but if there's something that Rafa has tought this year is he's stubborn as hell, he wanted RG, Madrid any non clay Master Series and he got everything :worship: His will is his best gun so his chances aren't as bad as some may think

Galaxystorm
12-11-2005, 07:51 PM
LOL at talking about Conchita...
That day Conchita gave a passing, lobbing and slicing master class... I still can remember watching Nadal hitting a slice backhand :o

He hardly hit slice backhands except when he tries a bachkhand-dropshot ( By the way his dropshots are much better hitting with the bakchand than with the forehand ).

His slice is still deficient and he knows is one of the things he has to improve.

almouchie
12-11-2005, 07:56 PM
Nadal & Hewiit have different games & styles as many have pointed out.
nadal does have a chance at Wimbledon maybe just as much as any player apart from Federer.
he games have progressed in a few years & looks certain to imprive more & the fact that he wasnts to play better & imprive his games on grass is an advantage for him. he cannt be rulled out on any service

RogiFan88
12-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Hasn't winning the Wimbledon title been one of Rafa's many goals??

tangerine_dream
04-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Here's another great thread where many Federer fans dismissed Rafa's chances. :)

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=78730

There's a long road until Nadal wins Wimbledon. Honestly I don't see it happening, but I wouldn't be surprised if he reaches QF the next year or so.
Lolz.

green25814
04-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Those responses were before they slowed the grass however.

BodyServe
04-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Those responses were before they slowed the grass however.

Wrong.

green25814
04-23-2009, 03:36 PM
You deny its not slower than in 05? :retard:

Henry Chinaski
04-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Here's another great thread where many Federer fans dismissed Rafa's chances. :)

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=78730

Lolz.

wow absolutely hilarious.

how embarrassing for shotgun to have a modestly expressed opinion proved incorrect 3 years after it was made! He should quit the board in shame.

Winners take all
04-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Brilliant bumps, tangerine_dream! I just skimmed through some of the newly resurrected threads and now I totally believe that Prof. A. Einstein was right when he gave his famous remark: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and Fedtards' stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

asmazif
04-23-2009, 03:44 PM
cant see him doing that. federer roddick johansson will be sharing them in the couple of years

hahahahahaha

Macbrother
04-23-2009, 03:47 PM
I think Nadal can win the big W. However, he needs to work on his grass game and I don't imagine he'll win it in the next few years, maybe about 2008 or 2009.

Nadal worked on his grass game, indeed. Not too shabby. :yeah:

green25814
04-23-2009, 03:48 PM
I love how everyone acts as if nadal has been dominating wimbledon for years now. Retarded bump. If it was from 07 or 08 then it might mean something.

~*BGT*~
04-23-2009, 03:55 PM
It is so far fetched, no, no and more NO.

This made me chuckle a bit. :p

Manila ESQ
04-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Never say never, dude! (Hurley from Lost)

BodyServe
04-23-2009, 04:19 PM
You deny its not slower than in 05? :retard:

Yes :retard:

They changed the grass in 2001

NadalSharapova
04-23-2009, 04:30 PM
lot of stupid people back then. nothing has changed.