Grip Advice Needed [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Grip Advice Needed

MickyMrochek
12-07-2005, 04:24 AM
Hola,

I have done some web searching regarding the advantages of grips for forehand and backhand but I truly need the expert advice from you people. I am 42 and in good physical shape. I am planning on taking lessons at least 4 times per week and spend (in the court) at least three hours per day, five days per week. So please, help me make up my mind.

The stick I have...(if that matters)...Prince O3 Red with Prince Premier SoftFlex 17 @ 60psig.

Take care. Gracias,

Micky

PS. I was in love with table tennis...now I am in love with tennis.

AgassiDomination
12-07-2005, 04:31 AM
I dont think you choose the grip. The grip chooses you. Lol, that sounds all matrix or whatever. Wait are you talking about your grip or grip tape?

MickyMrochek
12-07-2005, 04:46 AM
I dont think you choose the grip. The grip chooses you. Lol, that sounds all matrix or whatever. Wait are you talking about your grip or grip tape?

Hola Agassi,

Ok, I will bite...hehe...here it goes...forehand Eastern, Western, Semi Western...backhand Eastern, Continental...

Micky

prima donna
12-07-2005, 04:51 AM
Hola Agassi,

Ok, I will bite...hehe...here it goes...forehand Eastern, Western, Semi Western...backhand Eastern, Continental...

Micky

The Eastern grip is the easiest and most natural for beginners, it's just like you're shaking hands with the racquet. A western or semi western grip, is more for an advanced player. Remember, you can always change your grip. Grips dictate what type of game you play, but the Eastern grip is the most friendly grip to beginners and provides stability for both Top Spin and Slice. A continental grip (which can be used on any shot, overhead, serve, backhand and forehand) is the easiest for one that transitions from back court to net often, fact of the matter is it's awful for top spin, but naturally condusive to a slicing motion.

The Continental grip is for more of a natural ball-striker, requires timing and the easiest ball to hit is one that's flat. A western grip requires precise timing, you have to be so far out in front, but an Eastern grip just allows for that extra amount of time / margin for error most beginners need.

For more info: tennis.about.com :)

MickyMrochek
12-07-2005, 05:12 AM
Muchas gracias prima donna.

prima donna
12-07-2005, 05:14 AM
Muchas gracias prima donna.
Sure and just for the record, Robert Landsorp (coached both Sharapova and Sampras) recommends the Eastern grip, there's an article about it on landsorp.com if you're interested he furtherly elaborates on the superiority of the Eastern grip over others.

MickyMrochek
12-07-2005, 05:56 AM
Sure and just for the record, Robert Landsorp (coached both Sharapova and Sampras) recommends the Eastern grip, there's an article about it on landsorp.com if you're interested he furtherly elaborates on the superiority of the Eastern grip over others.

Great information. (There is a typo on the last name though...it is Lansdorp).

Thank you very much prima donna.

Micky

Patrick_Steele
07-19-2006, 03:53 AM
Forehand- Eastern or Western
Backhand- Continental or Eastern (NEVER WESTERN!)
Serve- Continental
*The first choice is my reccomendation

Really just pick what you find comfortable