Murray named player of the Year by LTA [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Murray named player of the Year by LTA

R.Federer
12-06-2005, 08:24 PM
Murray named player of the year

Scottish teenager Andy Murray has been named player of the year in the Lawn Tennis Association awards.
Murray has enjoyed a great 2005, rising from the 400s to 63 in the rankings and making his Davis Cup debut.

He impressed at Wimbledon and the US Open before reaching his first ATP final in Bangkok, where he lost to world number one Roger Federer

Andrew Kennaugh picked up the junior player of the year award and Jayant Mistry is disabled player of the year.

Hagar
12-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Murray named player of the year

Scottish teenager Andy Murray has been named player of the year in the Lawn Tennis Association awards.
Murray has enjoyed a great 2005, rising from the 400s to 63 in the rankings and making his Davis Cup debut.

He impressed at Wimbledon and the US Open before reaching his first ATP final in Bangkok, where he lost to world number one Roger Federer

Andrew Kennaugh picked up the junior player of the year award and Jayant Mistry is disabled player of the year.

So they do have more than 1 player in the UK? :devil:

alfonsojose
12-06-2005, 08:44 PM
:smash: how the the guys at LTA are jumping behind Murray :rolleyes:

Nae Backhand
12-06-2005, 08:44 PM
So they do have more than 1 player in the UK? :devil:

Hagar the Horrible :devil:

Conita
12-06-2005, 08:49 PM
GOOO ANDYYYYYYYYYYY
we love you :D

even with your wired accent
lol
:D

Bubba08
12-06-2005, 08:59 PM
It's their choice. :eek:

musefanatic
12-06-2005, 09:00 PM
Yay well done Andy!! ;) :)

Sugar Kane
12-06-2005, 09:49 PM
http://www.yelims.com/Noel/Noel04.gif

El Legenda
12-06-2005, 10:06 PM
they had to do it, after he bitched about them :rolls:

its.like.that
12-07-2005, 06:00 AM
rofl....

another moron convention.

Kristen
12-07-2005, 07:41 AM
:woohoo: Nice work by Jayant. He's a major pain in the ass when a favourite of mine is on the other side of the net :tape: :yeah: Well done ^_^

prima donna
12-07-2005, 07:45 AM
This is a nice gesture, but I mean if it wasn't Murray then who was it going to be ? Henman? Anyway, great for him.

Scotso
12-07-2005, 08:39 AM
Murray is GOD.

DrJules
12-07-2005, 12:53 PM
This is a nice gesture, but I mean if it wasn't Murray then who was it going to be ? Henman? Anyway, great for him.

Greg Rusedski

Aleksa's Laydee
12-07-2005, 02:47 PM
http://www.yelims.com/Noel/Noel04.gif

wow love it :yeah:

Andrew Kennaugh :hug:

alfonsojose
12-07-2005, 03:36 PM
Murray is GOD.
:lol:

CooCooCachoo
12-07-2005, 03:54 PM
No surprise.

tangerine_dream
12-09-2005, 06:45 PM
First the LTA award, now this. Heh. It's nice to see how other countries like to promote their own successful athletes. :)

Murray crowned sports personality

Teenage tennis sensation Andrew Murray whas been crowned this year's top sports personality in Scotland.

The Wimbledon quarter-finalist won the title of BBC Scotland's Sports Personality of the Year 2005 after gaining 55% of the public vote.

He beat off the challenge of big-name stars such as golfer Colin Montgomerie and cyclist Chris Hoy and won by the biggest margin ever recorded north of the border.

A stunned Murray was presented with the award in a surprise visit from the BBC as he promoted a charitable initiative at the Royal Bank of Scotland's new Edinburgh headquarters.

"I actually had no idea. It's great. I wasn't expecting something like that," said Murray. The Hibernian fan spoke after he was presented with the trophy by team boss Tony Mowbray.

Reflecting on the past year, Murray said: "Since Wimbledon it's been non-stop. I played really well and I couldn't have hoped for anything more. I played against Roger Federer, the best player in the world."

Asked what lay in store for him at Christmas, the young player joked: "Mum normally buys clothes but she's got really bad taste." His mother Judy had been in on the secret and knew he would get the award.

Speaking after the award ceremony, Mowbray said of Murray: "The word that springs to mind is inspiration. The humility he seems to have should be an inspiration to the nation's young people. I hope some of it rubs off on the young players I've got in my team."

Mowbray said Murray would be welcome at the Hibs ground at any time.

Murray, from Dunblane, is also in the running for the BBC title of UK Sports Personality of the Year, to be announced in London on Sunday. But Murray, last year's winner of the Junior Sports Personality title, played down his chances, saying England cricketer Andrew Flintoff would win.