Davis Cup 2006 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Davis Cup 2006

12-06-2005, 02:51 PM
Since we have already started to talk about the Davis Cup
I thought I would start a thread just for the Davis Cup. Patrick McEnroe has said Andy will be a singles player (no surprise there) and the Twins will play doubles (no surprise here). The other singles player is to be picked from Robby, James, and Taylor. As much as I think Taylor is a nice guy I can't really see Patrick picking him. So I think it will again come down to Robby or James.

cris1085
12-06-2005, 02:54 PM
I reckon it's better to pick James and Robby than Taylor.

12-06-2005, 03:04 PM
Yes I'm sure it will come down to James or Robby. I really don't know why Patrick even mentioned Taylor unless he was trying to encourage Taylor since Taylor is now in a conditioning program to get himself in better shape. Which I hope Taylor will be successful in doing :)

idolwatcher1
12-06-2005, 05:47 PM
I picture Andy, Robby, and the Bryans in San Diego (winning 5-0) :)

12-06-2005, 06:24 PM
My goodness wouldn't that be nice :) I would like to think that the U.S. can win with the home crowd plus our pick of surfaces, but I remember even with all of that it hasn't worked out at times in the past :sad:

idolwatcher1
12-06-2005, 06:44 PM
PMac seems to be very skeptical of Robby (even though Robby is undefeated in Davis Cup matches??) and is the 3rd highest ranked US player (behind Agassi, who doesn't seem to want to play during the first round)...

Yo, PMac...

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/9500/dcpickhim18qt.jpg

Fee
12-06-2005, 06:51 PM
I think PMac is 'covering his bases'. Robby and James ended the year well, but if Taylor really has lost a little bit of weight and improved his fitness, he could be a formidable player. It could be interesting to see how they all do at the Aus Open, and I'd bet that PMac won't make his final decision until the last possible moment.

12-06-2005, 06:52 PM
PMac seems to be very skeptical of Robby (even though Robby is undefeated in Davis Cup matches??) and is the 3rd highest ranked US player (behind Agassi, who doesn't seem to want to play during the first round)...

Yo, PMac...

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/9500/dcpickhim18qt.jpg
Yes Andre has to watch how much he plays due to his health and age. But in a situation like this some times personalities play a part in the decision when really all that should matter is picking the best team. Maybe PMac
(I like that) and Robby just don't hit it off very well?

12-06-2005, 06:58 PM
I think PMac is 'covering his bases'. Robby and James ended the year well, but if Taylor really has lost a little bit of weight and improved his fitness, he could be a formidable player. It could be interesting to see how they all do at the Aus Open, and I'd bet that PMac won't make his final decision until the last possible moment.
I'm pretty certain PMac will take as long as he can to make a decision. And he probably will want the results of the Aus Open, but you know things don't always work out in one place like they do in another. I mean if PMac wouldn't have taken Andy to Belgium just because Andy went out in the first round of the U.S. Open think of how different the results could have been!

idolwatcher1
12-06-2005, 07:00 PM
Fee, I agree, PMac will wait till the results of the AO before making his final decision... If Robby does better there than Taylor & James, then he should be hard to ignore...

And Mae, to me, I don't think it has to do with them hitting it off, I think instead, it's more like the employee/boss scenario... Robby is like the employee who does everything right for his boss, but his boss keeps over-looking him or second-guessing his abilities... :( Hope Robby does really well at AO!

Fee
12-06-2005, 07:03 PM
Funny you should bring that up Mae, I was one of the people who thought maybe Andy should be left off the DC squad for Belgium, yikes on me!

I think Robby and PMac get along fine (Robby is so laid back, how can anyone not get along with him) so I agree that's not the issue. I think PMac just wants to see some intense fire or something before he makes his final pick. The AO may be the deciding factor (along with the surface, of course).

12-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Funny you should bring that up Mae, I was one of the people who thought maybe Andy should be left off the DC squad for Belgium, yikes on me!

I think Robby and PMac get along fine (Robby is so laid back, how can anyone not get along with him) so I agree that's not the issue. I think PMac just wants to see some intense fire or something before he makes his final pick. The AO may be the deciding factor (along with the surface, of course).
LOL it's great Fee that you are willing to admit thinking maybe Andy should have been left off! But I still hope PMac doesn't just take who does best in the AO just because they do well in the AO because that same person might not do as well in the Davis Cup. Anyway I'm glad it's PMac decision and not mine so if he blows it he has to take the blame :p

idolwatcher1
12-06-2005, 07:26 PM
LOL it's great Fee that you are willing to admit thinking maybe Andy should have been left off! But I still hope PMac doesn't just take who does best in the AO just because they do well in the AO because that same person might not do as well in the Davis Cup. Anyway I'm glad it's PMac decision and not mine so if he blows it he has to take the blame :p
That's a valid point... what if Robby wins the Auckland tournament (let's just say), but then loses a tight match in the early rounds of the AO (i can't believe I'm giving this scenario, but... :o ) Robby will have shown greatness, but at the same time he will have shown a disappointment... so PMac should weigh it all, including the ranking, lol...

12-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Yes I see your point and like I said I'm glad it is PMac decision and not mine to make. But let's face it I know both you and I want him to pick Robby :) And then have Robby win ;) What do you think Fee?

idolwatcher1
12-06-2005, 08:17 PM
Yes, I want Robby picked and I want him to win! :)

Fee
12-06-2005, 08:40 PM
It's a tough call, but at this point I think Robby would be the better choice. But, Robby has to really want to do this. We all know that James lives to play DC, so it wouldn't hurt RG to show a little bit of excitement about this (or anything, for that matter :lol: )

Deboogle!.
12-06-2005, 09:25 PM
Many of us will be in La Jolla :D:D:D

The surface is supposed to be faster than what PMac has had DC on the last few home times - more like the USO Surface. And that helps all three of the potential second players. So I think it will most definitely come down to the AO - different speed of surface and all, but close enough so that I think that will be by and large what he uses to make his decision.

12-06-2005, 11:59 PM
Robby doesn't strike me as the type to show a lot of excitement. Yes he can get upset while playing, but you most often hear Robby called "lay back". Maybe Robby isn't really that interested in the Davis Cup? Some players are while others are not. And if he really isn't interested he should just say so and not play. Looking back in U.S. tennis history Jimmy Connors got a lot of flack about not playing Davis Cup or at least not playing very much Davis Cup at all, but it clearly didn't interest Jimmy so I think it was best that he didn't play. Because the few times he was part of the team he didn't do all that well because he wasn't really interested in it. Andy LOVES the Davis Cup and I think James feels strongly about it also, but I'm not really sure about Robby?

Deboogle!.
12-07-2005, 03:08 AM
well if Robby's not that serious about it, he should take his name out of contention, b/c there is a list of other guys who LOVE IT and they show up for ties even when they're not picked for the team. And that's saying something, and I'm sure at the end of the day it partially factors into PMac's decisionmaking process, too, at least on some level. And a level of excitement and passion and team energy that's higher can also perhaps compensate if one player maybe isn't quite as good.

I'll put it this way, if Robby's picked and he's not passionate about being there, I'll be pretty bullshit, considering how much I'm spending to go be passionate about it. :)

Fee
12-07-2005, 03:18 AM
'you'll be pretty bullshit' ? Is that a typo?

I think Robby wants to be on the team, especially since they are playing in the US. He just needs to put it out there a little bit more perhaps.

Deboogle!.
12-07-2005, 03:22 AM
No, not a typo? means like,..... really pissed? I mean if I spend over $500 on the weekend and one of the main players doesn't seem excited... that'd be disappointing.

I was being sarcastic anyway lol.

Fee
12-07-2005, 04:07 AM
okay, gotcha. I'd never heard that before. If I spent that kind of money for an event and witnessed a half-assed effort, I'd be postal, but I think you are going to have a great time and see some good tennis (and you might see my beautiful boy, Horia Tecau, playing doubles).

Deboogle!.
12-07-2005, 04:13 AM
Oh we will have a great time. We're going to see Andy and the twins and hang out with each other mostly, anyway. If James gets to play, that'll be gravy :)

You've never heard the term "I'd be bullshit"?? (it basically is the same thing as going postal ;)). I don't think Robby would ever give a half-assed effort, especially considering the effort he gave in his very first DC match. I'm just saying I'd rather see someone who's as excited to be there as I am, that's all :p

We will surely keep our eyes out for him. that's awesome if he'd get to play doubles!

idolwatcher1
12-07-2005, 05:08 AM
Mae (and anyone else in doubt), I've studied Robby's statements and interviews regarding Davis Cup, and I have no doubt that Robby very much wants to play in the Davis Cup again... and I know that if he gets picked, he will put ALL his effort out there! It's the whole personality issue that is disguising things here... Robby wants to be selected for his own good, but at the same time, he's not the kind of person who would explain why he is better than anyone else in contention... that's not how he likes to be (he just doesn't roll like that!...even if he really is better than everybody else!)... Don't mistake Robby's modesty for non-excitement! Some people just keep their excitement INSIDE more than others (and they let it out when they feel it's time). And let's not forget that Robby and James agreed, last September, that whoever didn't get picked for DC, should focus on trying to rack up points to try and qualify for the Masters Cup in Shanghai (as it was still mathematically possible to do)...

Deboogle!.
12-07-2005, 05:15 AM
I don't think modesty is all that helpful when trying to convince PMac you're the guy for the job. It's an admirable personality trait, to be sure, but I don't think being modest would help his cause one bit.

As for this alleged conversation between he and James, I don't recall reading about that in any of the press. In fact, James has gone to DC ties before when he hasn't been on the team, so I think it's fair and reasonable to think he might have gone to Belgium anyway - especially considering that until Robby withdrew himself, PMac had every intention of taking both along to delay the final decision until he saw them on CLAY.

Interestingly, they're all playing Delray, too (except Andy) - so you're also talking a TON of tennis these guys will be playing with no weeks off (assuming they live up to expectations at the AO).... thinking about these guys' schedules is... scary how many weeks in a row they will be playing including DC. And in light of that, the guy(s) who aren't chosen may see it as a rare opportunity to go home and take a couple of days off and be with loved ones, but considering the geographic convenience of this tie, I would also not be surprised if they showed up to show their support for the team. For example, Taylor was in Carson last year. Mardy and James have both been to ties on teams they haven't been picked on. As far as I know, Robby's the only one of them who hasn't.

And obviously that's his personal choice, but if PMac is having trouble deciding, the little things like that may weigh on the decision, and such things are irrelevant with respect to how modest or outgoing he is.

idolwatcher1
12-07-2005, 05:22 AM
Deb, I don't think anyone here disagrees with you... Robby's inner-conflict is: his everyday personality versus how he can convince PMac he's the one to pick... and Robby's solution is probably to convince PMac by his actions, not his words, but we will see... Robby is probably working on how to express himself without feeling like he's being rude... because I know he doesn't want to come off that way...

idolwatcher1
12-07-2005, 05:32 AM
Also, Deb, Robby HAS been to Davis Cup when he wasn't playing:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/idolwatcher_1-2/rg-DavisCup1.jpg

And I have no control over what press you read... :p

12-07-2005, 03:21 PM
Also, Deb, Robby HAS been to Davis Cup when he wasn't playing:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/idolwatcher_1-2/rg-DavisCup1.jpg

And I have no control over what press you read... :p
Yes indeed I do well remember reading, but you know me I can't remember where now; that Robby and James went to PMac and just asked him who he was going to pick when PMac said James Robby said he would just stay here in the U.S. , but he would be available if anything would happen that he was needed to fly over. And I'm sorry I even mentioned that Robby might not be all that interested in the Davis Cup :sad: That was just me saying he might not be interested and I should have made that clear. I had not read anything about what Robby had said about the Davis Cup other than about he and James going to PMac and asking him who he was going to pick. I don't know why I have so much trouble in this Forum. I post in other places and everything is fine, but when I try to post here it seems like this place just goes crazy! I stopped posting here before because there was so much trouble in the Forum and at this rate I may have to stop posting here again! And I'm sure Deb you will get to see a very good Davis Cup and you are lucky you can go because others of us can't get there to see it.

Deboogle!.
12-07-2005, 03:22 PM
Wow, lively bunch there.

But how long ago was that, 2002, before he was even in the radar to be picked for the team? I'm not saying he SHOULD be there, I'm just saying it's one of those things that might stick out in PMac's mind if he WERE, and it wouldn't require him to go out of his personality comfort zone. For example, Robby was in the first round tie in 2004, but I didn't see him at any of the other ties last year. He wasn't in Carson this year, even though it was right before IW and just down the highway. Again, not saying he SHOULD've been there, but it would be a very easy way to express interest.

I don't think Robby should be spending any time figuring out ways to express himself to PMac or Andy (whom I am absolutely convinced at least has a minor say in the players and surface they play on), he needs to worry about himself and his tennis. I really doubt he's losing any sleep over how to be more emotive to convince Pmac to pick him. It'd be really disconcerting if he were - he has too much other stuff to worry about. Moreover, I know plenty of shy, quiet people who still can be very excitable when it comes to things they truly care about, especially when they are around people they are comfortable with. In fact, most people who are shy and reserved like Robby can loosen up just fine in smaller groups when they're around people they know, so there's no way to know how Robby acts when he is privately discussing it with PMac or the other members of the team or whatever.

Fee
12-07-2005, 03:42 PM
Mae, don't be silly. You posted a comment that started a lively discussion. No one is fighting here. :D

12-07-2005, 03:50 PM
I reread my post and I said, "Maybe Robby isn't really that interested in the Davis Cup?" You will note I said "maybe" and followed it up with a question mark. Later in the post I said, "Andy LOVES the Davis Cup and I think James feels strongly about it also, but I"m not really sure about Robby?" You will note again the guestion mark and I did say "I'm not really sure". Now I'm even sorry that I started this thread to begin with!!

Fee
12-07-2005, 04:45 PM
Mae, who are you talking to? I don't think anyone was offended by your posts at all.

idolwatcher1
12-07-2005, 06:19 PM
Mae, you did nothing wrong!... :hug: I appreciate that you started this topic! I just wanted to make clear to anyone in doubt that based on what I know, Robby wants to be in DC, even if he hasn't passionately expressed this...

12-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Mae, who are you talking to? I don't think anyone was offended by your posts at all.
Well maybe she wasn't offended by my post, but Deb didn't seem too happy about it. Or maybe she just wasn't too happy with the mistaken idea that started with my post that maybe Robby wasn't all that interested in the Davis Cup? At least I think it is all cleared up now that Robby is indeed interested in the Davis Cup. I read where Andy is ranked #3 which I think we all know, that Robby is #16 which I think we all know, and James in the story I read about the Davis Cup was listed at 25 while I was thinking he was 24, but the real surprise to me was the story stated Taylor was 29. Of course since it was a Davis Cup story and PMac has already said the choice would be among Robby, James, and Taylor, Andre wasn't mentioned. But if the story has the rankings right The U.S.
has one player in the Top Five-Andy, one player in the Top
Ten-Andre, one player in the Top 20-Robby and two other players that are close to the Top 20. I actually didn't know the U.S. was even doing that well :eek:

Deboogle!.
12-07-2005, 07:55 PM
I was never offended by anything :confused:

I have a huge exam tomorrow, no time to waste energy being offended :lol:

Fee
12-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Actually, I thought it was my post that got her worried about Robby's 'level of commitment'. Truth is, no one in this forum knows what Robby is thinking at this point, so we will just have to wait and see how it all works out in February. I believe that he will make his feelings clear to PMac even if he is not very outspoken with the media like the others are. PMac will pick the right team (and hopefully the right surface for that team).

idolwatcher1
12-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Yes, Deb, you have made yourself clear... :yeah: You think that Robby should show more interest in Davis Cup (regardless of his personality traits)... I really don't think anyone here disagrees with you on that, like I said. I see your points, as I'm sure everyone else here does too, but you're getting a little carried away, I think...

First, you insinuate that Robby is the ONLY one that never goes to Davis Cup when he's not picked to play there... as if to prove that he doesn't show any interest in it... Then, when you find out he did participate in Davis Cup when he wasn't picked to play there, you criticize the year and his status!, as if that somehow disproves his interest in Davis Cup???... Sorry, that doesn't quite do it. Yes, PMac may consider who has shown up to DC, despite not being selected to play there... but the weight it carries is probably infinitesimal, and we have to keep in mind that sometimes a coach (such as Francisco) advises his player of what to do, and they make decisions together. For all we care, Robby has been advised to keep training when he can't play for his team... PMac may have been made aware of this, etc. and I'm sure he would understand, especially since Robby has been quoted as saying that he doesn't like to travel much...

I think we're due for some direct quotes, so here's one from an article (http://www.tennis-x.com/story/2005-09-04/c.php):

"Ginepri has voiced his desire to McEnroe for the No. 2 singles spot against Belgium.

"I've had brief conversations with Patrick but he hasn't told me anything outside of it's between James and I," Ginepri told The Associated Press. "I know that this week and next week will be a factor in his decision. Anytime I can get a chance to play Davis Cup, I definitely want to do it." <--- This is a direct quote from Robby! :)

Despite his 2-11 record, Ginepri says he's been told his game resembles that of a claycourter."

Despite his deplorable clay record, he was still giving reasons as to why he should represent the USA on clay!... If that doesn't show enthusiasm (from a shy/modest guy like Robby), then I don't know what does... :lol:

Deboogle!.
12-07-2005, 08:39 PM
I think maybe you misundertood my point....

~you were the one who mentioned his modesty, not me :lol:

~I never said Robby wasn't interested in playing Davis Cup, and I thought I made it clear that I was kidding that I'd be upset if I went and he played. As I will get into further in a second, I merely suggested options for him to demonstrate his interest that would be easy, since you guys talk about his personality so much and seem to think that demonstrating his desire might be difficult for him.

~You guys are the ones who said it's not in his personality to really sell himself. I don't know what his private persona is like, so I never really commented on that. All I said was that one easy way for him to demonstrate intent without being outgoing would be to go to ties where he's not picked. I don't think attending a tie over 3 years ago would accomplish that - that's my opinion. It's also my opinion that something like that could absolutely carry more than just trivial weight in the decision-making - especially considering how closely these guys have been playing for a few months. Sure, if one of them makes the AO final or something, he's probably gonna be picked no matter what. But we don't have the luxury of knowing that at this point. Moreover, I was not criticizing him at all, in fact I was quite clear to point out that I was not even advocating that this is what he SHOULD do, merely that it is an OPTION and that if it were ME and it was that important to me and I was uncomfortable expressing myself more openly, that it would be an easy way to show I cared.

~You guys are the ones who are saying Robby's so laid-back and might be too modest to sell himself. I'm the one who suggested he might be different around people he's comfortable with, and I included PMac and his other potential teammates in that.

As for the coach.... I think if Robby said to his coach "hey, I really wanna go to Carson and practice with them and support the team this weekend" - I really would be hard-pressed to believe he'd tell him not to. I'm not saying that this should've happened, again, but I am merely saying that from what I saw in LA, Robby's coach doesn't sit and order him around and stuff and I wouldn't think his coach would have much of a problem with him attending a tie.

idolwatcher1
12-07-2005, 08:47 PM
Deb, I haven't misunderstood you... I already know what everyone's said here, so you really didn't need to repeat it all again... it's unneccessary... :p

12-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Deb, I haven't misunderstood you... I already know what everyone's said here, so you really didn't need to repeat it all again... it's unneccessary... :p
Gee idolwatcher1 you do have a way with words :) I think in the future I will let you do all my posting for me :p

Fee
12-07-2005, 09:49 PM
Well I appreciated Deb's post because it did clear up one thing for me (but I'm not saying what because I would feel like a complete ninny). :D

Deboogle!.
12-07-2005, 10:50 PM
:shrug: your posts were suggesting you completely misunderstood what I said and that you thought I was criticizing and hating on Robby again even though I wasn't.

idolwatcher1
12-07-2005, 11:12 PM
:shrug: your posts were suggesting you completely misunderstood what I said and that you thought I was criticizing and hating on Robby again even though I wasn't.
I disagree, my posts were just adding to the conversation and making clear that Robby has shown interest in Davis Cup. I never said you were hating on him... :confused:

12-08-2005, 02:32 AM
Well I appreciated Deb's post because it did clear up one thing for me (but I'm not saying what because I would feel like a complete ninny). :D
Oh come on Fee what did Deb's post clear up for you? You can always join me as being a complete ninny :) (Seriously Fee there is no way you would ever be "a complete ninny".)