El Bombardero is ready to rock the tennis world in 2006!!!!!! < -- Auckland thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

El Bombardero is ready to rock the tennis world in 2006!!!!!! < -- Auckland thread

GonzoFan
12-06-2005, 04:36 AM
As the entry list is already out I thought it would be a good idea to start the Auckland thread. First tournament of the year for Gonzo where he defends the title and also a preparation for the Aussie Open :)

here's the entry list:

Gonzo is the first seed!!!! :woohoo:

2006 Entry List

1 Gonzalez, Fernando CHI 11
2 Ferrer, David ESP 15
3 Ginepri, Robby USA 16
4 Hrbaty, Dominik SVK 19
5 Ancic, Mario CRO 22
6 Rochus, Olivier BEL 28
7 Nieminen, Jarkko FIN 29
8 Lopez, Feliciano ESP 34
--------------------------- seeds ^
9 Volandri, Filippo ITA 39
10 Acasuso, Jose ARG 41
11 Rochus, Christophe BEL 42
12 Martin, Alberto ESP 51
13 Wawrinka, Stanislas SUI 55
14 Baghdatis, Marcos CYP 56
15 Beck, Karol SVK 57
16 Zib, Tomas CZE 59
17 Carlsen, Kenneth DEN 61
18 Vik, Robin CZE 62
19 Murray, Andy GBR 64
20 Moodie, Wesley RSA 65
21 Massu, Nicolas CHI 66
22 Pavel, Andrei ROM 67
23 Goldstein, Paul USA 68
24 (SE)
25 (SE)
26 (WC) Mark Nielsen (no.1 NZ player)
27 (WC) Mark Philippoussis
28 (WC) NZer who wins the Kiwi playoffs
29 (Q)
30 (Q)
31 (Q)
32 (Q)

Alternates :

1. Bracciali, Daniele ITA 72
2. Montanes, Albert ESP 73
3. Lapentti, Nicolas ECU 74
4. Mayer, Florian GER 75
5. Minar, Ivo CZE 76
6. Hernych, Jan CZE 77
7. Spadea, Vincent USA 78
8. Behrend, Tomas GER 79
9. Muller, Gilles LUX 80
10. Berlocq, Carlos ARG 83
11. Pashanski, Boris SCG 84
12. Zabaleta, Mariano ARG 85
13. Horna, Luis PER 86
14. Phau, Bjorn GER 87
15. Monaco, Juan ARG 88

Fergie
12-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Well, Feña said that maybe he will not be in his 100% for this tournament ... Anyway, vamos Feña!!! :bounce:

enqvistfan
12-06-2005, 06:12 PM
Vamos Fernando, and good luck :bounce:

GonzoFan
12-11-2005, 09:58 PM
Some days ago I read that Gonzo will travel to Auckland on January 4th

Fergie
12-12-2005, 03:51 PM
When the tournament start?

GonzoFan
12-12-2005, 03:57 PM
the tournament starts on January 9

Fergie
12-12-2005, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the info ... Feña will have time to prepare well the tournament :)

I guess that Chilevision will show the tournament again :)

GonzoFan
12-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the info ... Feña will have time to prepare well the tournament :)

I guess that Chilevision will show the tournament again :)

I hope so ... This year Chilevision showed a lot of tournaments and they showed the three tournaments that Feña won so I hope next year they'll show all the tournaments where Feña plays :D

Fergie
12-12-2005, 04:07 PM
I prefer to see the match in Chilevision than in Canal 13 :lol:

And yes, I hope that the next year they'll show more tournaments :D

GonzoFan
12-12-2005, 04:28 PM
Canal 13 :ras:
I hate when they show the matches ... and the bad thing was that this year Canal 13 had the rights to show all the Masters Series events :mad:
I hope next year some other chanel will have those rights ... fingers crossed!

RogiFan88
12-12-2005, 05:35 PM
Hey, you lucky guys, don't complain about your coverage cos we don't get any at all...

+alonso
12-12-2005, 05:40 PM
:awww: Sorry RF , but it's true :lol: Canal 13 sucks :D

SUERTE FEÑA!! :bounce:

NicoFan
12-12-2005, 06:02 PM
Hey, you lucky guys, don't complain about your coverage cos we don't get any at all...

I was going to say the same...I would do anything to get any type of matches of Fernando (and Nico). We get some here in the US, but its mostly the Americans. If it wasn't for people in other countries sending me tapes of their matches, I would have nada.

Plus to live in Chile and see the papers everyday, and see the chicos on TV all the time on different shows. I'm totally jealous. :sad:

Me lives in the wrong country. :bigcry:

enqvistfan
12-12-2005, 06:30 PM
In France, the coverage is good if you have a pay channel and they like to show Fernando :) I was lucky this year, I saw him many times on tv, I think maybe because a French didn't play at the same time :lol: Regarding Canal 13, I watched a couple of matches on the net this year and it didn't seem to be so bad. But, you know this channel better than me :)

I envy you guys from Chile for the newspapers (even if we can get them on the net) and for the tv shows !! I'm sure that during the off season, you'll be able to see your boys on tv shows.

But, the good thing when you live in Europe or in the US, is that you can attend to many tournaments. I think people from Chile must envy us for that.

Nicofan : Yes, in the tennis world, hopefully, we have a good network, there's a lot of trade with tapes, photos, articles etc..

olimpo
12-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Same here - I agree with RogiFan and NicoFan. I know you in Chile hate Canal13 but believe me that you are so lucky to live in the right country where you get to see (almost) every match of Fernando live on TV. I got nothing of him on TV this year (well I got parts of his FO and Wimby matches vs. Roger, something from Düsseldorf and the Basel final but you surely agree with me to call that nothing) but fortunately I received quite a few matches on tape/dvd from friends in other countries and in addition I was able to go to 7 tournaments this year and so I have seen Fernando play many times, but what would I give for being able to watch every match of him live even if it’s only on TV.........

RogiFan88
12-12-2005, 07:47 PM
Right now I am dying to get a DVD or sth of Fena's BASEL tournament, esp his FINAL! Auckland w also be fantastic to have AND Amersfoort but I guess you have to live in the country to get them on TV OR be rich enough and crazy enough [that's us, right -- I mean the "crazy" part, not the rich part] to attend every tournament Fena plays! Now that w be a dream, wouldn't it? ;)

GonzoFan
12-13-2005, 11:32 PM
I'm so sorry! I didn't think of you guys when I was saying that Canal 13 sucks ... you are right I think that the people that live in Chile must be thankful to have almost all the matches on tv but as Val said you the people that live in Europe and North America have more chances to go to a lot of tournaments (and I really envy that!) not like us as because we only have the Viña tournament (some Davis Cup ties too) which is also great but I think it's not the same as being in a Grand Slam or Masters Series event :)

Right now I am dying to get a DVD or sth of Fena's BASEL tournament, esp his FINAL! Auckland w also be fantastic to have AND Amersfoort but I guess you have to live in the country to get them on TV OR be rich enough and crazy enough [that's us, right -- I mean the "crazy" part, not the rich part] to attend every tournament Fena plays! Now that w be a dream, wouldn't it? ;)

You are so right RogiFan! it would the best thing in life to be rich and have the chance to go to all the tournaments Gonzo plays!

*Viva Chile*
12-13-2005, 11:49 PM
Canal 13 :ras:
I hope next year some other chanel will have those rights ... fingers crossed!
Like in 2004, TVN had the rights of TMS Madrid and TMS Paris ;)

GonzoFan
12-14-2005, 09:57 PM

yep, I remember that
But I like Chilevision because it seems that that is Feña's lucky chanel :lol:
cause like I said before, the three titles that he won this year Chilevision had the rights to show those tournaments

Fergie
12-14-2005, 11:50 PM
TVN isn't better that Canal 13 :lol:

Peoples
12-15-2005, 06:24 PM
Well, Feña said that maybe he will not be in his 100% for this tournament ... Anyway, vamos Feña!!! :bounce:
Hehehe Feña at 100% that I would like to see ;) It means it doesn't matter who's on the other side of the net :) So I'm still hoping he's going to defend his title whatever % he is.

Conita
12-17-2005, 11:56 PM
if Feña is at his 100% he will win the tournament and wont even drop a set, just like last year out of the 3 titles in two of them he didnt drop a set, which shows you that when he is at his 100% he is THE BEST!
:D

VAMOS FERNANDO!!!

pd: MMmmm I like canal 13 better just because i hate Rafael Araneda (TVN) i know he has little to do with tennis but still i just cant stand that guy xD

Fergie
12-17-2005, 11:59 PM
pd: MMmmm I like canal 13 better just because i hate Rafael Araneda (TVN) i know he has little to do with tennis but still i just cant stand that guy xD
Thank God Rafa isn't a sport commentator :lol: ... But any chilean commentator is good :p

Conita
12-18-2005, 12:27 AM
Thank God Rafa isn't a sport commentator :lol:

AMEN TO THAT!

lol xD

Fergie
12-18-2005, 12:34 AM
AMEN TO THAT!

lol xD
I don't hate him but I can't stand him either :p ... I don't like our commentators, I put the tv in mute in the matchs :lol:

enqvistfan
12-18-2005, 12:41 AM
I don't hate him but I can't stand him either :p ... I don't like our commentators, I put the tv in mute in the matchs :lol:

We have the same problems in France :lol:

RogiFan88
12-18-2005, 01:57 AM
Even worse in Canada cos we get US commentators like PMac!!! and Brat Gilbert!!! AY!

Fergie
12-18-2005, 02:12 AM
Even worse in Canada cos we get US commentators like PMac!!! and Brat Gilbert!!! AY!
But at least they know something about tennis :p

enqvistfan
12-18-2005, 09:56 AM
But at least they know something about tennis :p

Here, they don't know anything about tennis and they always support the French players :(

Fergie
12-18-2005, 11:46 AM
Here, they don't know anything about tennis and they always support the French players :(
This is normal, here happens the same :)

The worst are the commentators in ESPN Latinamerica, they only support the argentine players :o :(

Jukky
12-18-2005, 12:47 PM
Hi everybody! I'm from Ukraine and and for the first time have decided to write in this forum,because I was very much interested with a theme which you have mentioned here. The matter is that I played tennis professionally some years ago and now I work as the instructor.And since recent time, I also make comments on tennis in a ukranian sports channel. Before I began to work there, I saw tennis very seldom, because this sports channel absolutely new, and before tennis in Ukraine showed very seldom.
For the first time I made comments US Open and then on two more tournaments Masters Series and Tennis Masters Cup. I was very much carried away with new job and certainly I would like to be improved in it and to become the best. Therefore I very much would like to learn your opinion on what should be the comment of tennis that spectators did not switch off a sound when matches look. :)
:wavey:

Jukky
12-18-2005, 01:38 PM
And why I have appeared in your forum? Because during my comments Fernando Gonzalez became my favourite player. To me has carried to make comments on 4 matches with him and three from them he has won. Has lost just Gaudio :sad:
I also admire with magnificent tennis in execution of Roger Federer, sports longevity Andre Agassi, talent and working capacity Rafa Nadal and in general I very well understand all of them and I feel, because on my own experience I know, how many they all have to work hard and what nervous overwork to feel during matches.
:) :) :) :wavey:

Sparko1030
12-19-2005, 01:43 AM

PatMac is the worst!!! :p I'd swear he has a bias against the Chileans as the US team lost to them at the 2004 Olympics. Of course I've only been a fan for a little over year but that what is seemed like to me. And the moron is a commentator for almost all the tennis I get on TV-that is ESPN2. On the positive side I do like Jim Courier(sp) but he seems to be with USA network and is around only for the USO.

To answer your question Jukky, I guess what I really dislike in a commentator is an obvious bias for or against a player, not knowing what they're talking about, and just outright mean comments to get a laugh. Also, I noticed most commentators only have one "story" about a player and they repeat it over and over. Does anyone not know Roger's mom is from South Africa and his father is Swiss? The story of Fena being asked to play tennis as a boy by people from the local club all the time and getting tired of it so he started hitting hard to finish off matches fast was cute and interesting the first two or three times I heard it but even a story about Fena can get old!
BTW Jukky-welcome to Fernando's forum! :wavey:

NicoFan
12-19-2005, 01:55 AM
Sparko said it perfectly so can't add much on the US commentators. Except for John McEnroe - John may annoy some people, but he knows the game. He can be critical, but he usually seems upset and wants to help. A lot of the players come to him for advice and its interesting to hear those stories.

The best are the British guys on the international feed out of Canada that I get to see on The Tennis Channel in the US. Definite thumbs up. What I like best about them is that they are respectful to the players - they understand that its tough out there on the court. They may criticize, but its constructive criticism. They give you little bits of information about behind the scenes . And they talk about the "hot" issues in tennis - should there be coaching, the tremendous amount of injuries these last 2-3 years, the schedule being too long. But even they get facts wrong now and again - which is very annoying. Unless the player is top 5 its like they don't seem to bother to find out any info on them before the match.

And welcome!

Jukky
12-19-2005, 06:23 PM
Thanks a lot, guys :) To me very interestingly and important your opinion. I wait even more for your ideas on this theme ;)

GonzoFan
12-20-2005, 03:57 PM
I don't think I can add much to what Sparko and NicoFan already said.

Here in Chile I got ESPN and the commentators for Latin America are Javier Frana and Juan Szafran most of the time- for the USO we also had Jose Luis Clerc! it was horrible! can't stand one more "QUE LINDOOOOOOO", but that's another story lol!- I really like to hear Javier Frana he knows the game, makes really good commentaries about the match and about tennis in general, doesn't show his favoritism - sometimes he does but not too often so it really doesn't bother me at all that, some other commentators show it more - etc... I think he is pretty good.

What it's really annoying about a commentator is when they yell some of the points, for example, Jose Luis Clerc, this USO he was one of the commentators and OMG that man is so annoying! at first I thought it was funny and laughed when he always yelled almost the whole match his "QUE LINDOOO" when someone made a beatiful point but after like 3 days I just watched the matches in mute lol!
And also sometimes some commentators have the habit to talk during a break point, set point or match point and they don't stop talking so I get more nervous so I don't like that at all.
Hope I help I little bit :)

Welcome to the forum Jukky! :wavey:
You should post more often ;)

RogiFan88
12-20-2005, 05:43 PM
GonzoFan, it's funny cos here we often get the ESPN VIVO coverage that says Frana for the commentary but OUR commentary is British!

Fergie
12-20-2005, 11:12 PM
Clerc was cheering against Feña in all the matchs in ths USO :mad:

GonzoFan
12-21-2005, 12:06 AM
Clerc was cheering against Feña in all the matchs in ths USO :mad:

I know! it was so annoying :mad:
I hope he won't be the commentator of any GS or any tournament again next year ...

RogiFan88
12-21-2005, 02:04 AM
Commentators s not be so biased -- they s just comment on the match, not cheer for or vs. a player... duh!!

Jukky
12-21-2005, 04:14 PM
Thanks once again. It is always interesting to know opinion of those who to be on other side of the screen. :) I certainly understand all this, as itself I try to imagine, what comment to me would be interesting for hearing. But unfortunately commentators all alive people and sometimes can be understood them.
I don't have, for example, players frankly not favourite by me, therefore I, as a rule be a fan of beautiful, entertainment and interesting tennis.
It is very difficult to make comments on matches in which
there is frankly nothing to make comments, becouse players do many unforced errors, or one of them obviously surpasses on forces of the contender. Such match was a semifinal on TMC between Federer and Gaudio when I needed to keep count, ascertain only mistakes and to try to understand, what has happend with Gaudio, which else yesterday gave nothing in third set against Fena.
And this match Fernando vs. Gaudio. I have one favourite tennis player, and it's Fena. Can you imaging to itself how it was difficult to make comments on second half of match, when he having three M.P., has missed such close victory. I don' think, that I managed to hide completely the disappointment then, but I have given due Gaudio, he played that moment as it was necessary.
There is only one questsion, GonzoFan, what means "QUE LINDOOO"??? :confused:
:wavey:

GonzoFan
12-21-2005, 05:21 PM
"Que Lindo!" it means "Beautiful!" ;)

Fergie
12-21-2005, 11:08 PM
I know! it was so annoying :mad:
I hope he won't be the commentator of any GS or any tournament again next year ...
I hope the same! :p

SuperRevelation
12-23-2005, 04:35 AM
Good luck in Auckland Gonzo! :D

RogiFan88
12-23-2005, 04:16 PM
VAMOS, FENA!!!!!

angelical
12-27-2005, 09:37 AM
I guess this would probably be good under this thread...

http://www.tvnz.co.nz/view/page/417227/643102

LIVE Tennis Streaming

Dec 26, 2005

For the first time ever tvnz.co.nz will be streaming live coverage of the ASB Classic and Heineken Open from the ASB Tennis Centre in Auckland here on the website.

You will be able to view all the action as it happens from the two biggest tennis events in New Zealand.

The ASB Classic boasts one of it's best ever fields with top 10 star Nadia Petrova playing for the first time in Auckland.

The tournament starts on January 2 and we will be streaming live coverage of all six days of competition.

The Heineken Open begins a week later and is the top men's competition in the country.

Coverage on TV ONE is as follows: (this is NZ time btw)
Monday, January 9 1100-1600
Tuesday, January 10 1100-1600
Wednesday January 11 1100-1600
Thursday January 12 1100-1800
Friday, January 13 1200-1800
Saturday, January 14 1200-1800

For them to show all 6 days of the tournament is a BIG thing... this year, they only screeend the last 3 days. And it's the only free to air tennis coverage we get here...

olimpo
12-27-2005, 12:53 PM
Thanks for posting this Angelical, but it says on the website that the broadcast is restricted to viewers within New Zealand only. However, I’m glad that your TV has coverage from the first day onwards now since last time we even did not have a live scoreboard or anything of the Chilean sites or on the official site because there’s been no coverage at all until the quarter final like you said. I remember that it was hard to get any updates at all, but luckily a very nice and thoughtful countryman of you who had radio coverage came to the OOP thread and gave us desperate bunch of fans there updates.

So hopefully we living outside of NZ and Chile will have at least a live ticker during Fernando’s matches there next year.

angelical
12-27-2005, 08:40 PM
Thanks for posting this Angelical, but it says on the website that the broadcast is restricted to viewers within New Zealand only.
I didn't actually see that restricted to NZ only... oops. Sorry :o I think I got a little too excited because I thought everyone was going to be able to see it, I missed the fine print... It's been screened on TV all 6 days why would anyone want to watch on it a computer? I guess people at work can catch it while they're at the office...

GonzoFan
12-27-2005, 09:12 PM
Don't worry Angelical ;) it would have been great if that website could work for all the people around the world, tough ...
Here I don't know yet if some national channel will show Auckland... last year Chilevision showed it so I have the hope that I might be able to see Gonzo's or Massu's matches :unsure:

GonzoFan
01-04-2006, 05:07 AM
Today January 4 Gonzo travels to Auckland

I hope everything goes well and wish him a lot of luck :hug:

:secret: I know this maybe will sound silly but I always get so nervous when he travels

Sparko1030
01-04-2006, 05:51 AM

:secret: I know this maybe will sound silly but I always get so nervous when he travels

Yes, a big GOOD LUCK to Fena in Auckland!!!!

And it doesn't sound silly GonzoFan-you just care about him! :hug:

enqvistfan
01-04-2006, 03:04 PM

For your information, the flight is at 11.10 pm chilean time, if he takes the direct flight, arival time (Auckland time) : 04.20 am LOL
Have a safe trip Fernando :hug:

GonzoFan
01-04-2006, 04:30 PM
For your information, the flight is at 11.10 pm chilean time, if he takes the direct flight, arival time (Auckland time) : 04.20 am LOL
Have a safe trip Fernando :hug:

thanks for the info, Val :hug:

enqvistfan
01-04-2006, 05:59 PM
thanks for the info, Val :hug:

When you work in a travel agency, it's easy to check, he he !!
So, Gonzofan, if you want to "spy" him at the airport :lol: you know the time :)
And, I've just seen that La Tercera confirmed the flight's schedule, so he'll take the direct flight with Massu.

RogiFan88
01-04-2006, 07:42 PM
Have a safe flight, Fena and Nico!!

I miss Fena... can't wait for him to get back onto the courts to play and win!!!

VAMOS, FENA!

olimpo
01-04-2006, 07:50 PM
Have a safe flight, Fena and Nico!!

I miss Fena... can't wait for him to get back onto the courts to play and win!!!

VAMOS, FENA!

:yeah: Same here.....

Vamos Fernando!!!

enqvistfan
01-04-2006, 09:47 PM
A few days left, and we'll see him again !!! I already want to be on the clay season to see him LIVE !!

Fergie
01-04-2006, 11:00 PM
I can't wait ... Vamos Feña! :bounce:

Clashcityrocker
01-05-2006, 01:20 PM
Fernando Gonzalez will challenge federer in 2006, vamos !!

Carlita
01-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Fernando Gonzalez will challenge federer in 2006, vamos !!sure he will ;)

ooooooooooooh you're "smurfing" around MTF now :lol:

NicoFan
01-05-2006, 04:52 PM
sure he will ;)

ooooooooooooh you're "smurfing" around MTF now :lol:

Hi Lady Carlita! :wavey:

Fer could challenger Roger...but it is doubtful. :lol: But top ten is definitely doable! :)

Fergie
01-05-2006, 08:47 PM
Fer could challenger Roger...but it is doubtful. :lol: But top ten is definitely doable! :)
I agree :yeah:

Feña has tennis to be in the top-10 and keep there for a long time :)

angelical
01-06-2006, 06:53 AM
I can confirm that Gonzo arrived safely in Auckland :lol: and already out practicing today... :)

+alonso
01-06-2006, 08:18 AM
Nice to know angelical! :hug: !
Vamos FeñA in Auckland!
Would be nice to see him in finals an winning again!

RogiFan88
01-06-2006, 04:33 PM
I can confirm that Gonzo arrived safely in Auckland :lol: and already out practicing today... :)

:cool: Keep a close eye on him for us, OK? ;)

GonzoFan
01-06-2006, 05:09 PM

Thanks for keeping us informed about what he is doing :hug:

and yes please try to do what RogiFan said ;) :p :lol:

DhammaTiger
01-06-2006, 09:35 PM
Wonderful news to hear that Fernando is in Auckland and rearing to go. Vamos Fena!!!

angelical
01-06-2006, 09:43 PM
:cool: Keep a close eye on him for us, OK? ;)
Oh, my pleasure ;) :lol:

DhammaTiger
01-06-2006, 09:44 PM
In my opinion Fernando will definitely be safely in the top ten before the middle of this year. All his detractors better watch out.

GonzoFan
01-06-2006, 10:31 PM
the draw should be out in four hours

Fergie
01-07-2006, 12:53 AM
I'm praying for a good draw! :lol:

FelipeMIA89
01-07-2006, 02:47 AM
VAMOS GONZO!! BEST OF LUCK!!

GonzoFan
01-07-2006, 03:10 AM
I'm praying for a good draw! :lol:

:lol: last year we all prayed every week for a good draw and most of the time he didn't get a good one so let's hope this year will be different :)
but the great thing was that with crappy draws he got far in tournaments and won 3 so just imagine what he can do if he gets a little bit lucky and gets some good draws this year :yeah:

angelical
01-07-2006, 04:32 AM
http://www.tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411749/646417 (can't seem to find the full draw yet)

Jan 7, 2006
By Alan Granville at the ASB Tennis Centre

The draw for the Heineken Open tournament was made on Saturday with top seed Fernando Gonzalez facing a qualifier or lucky loser in round one.

Second seed David Ferrer also faces a qualifier or lucky loser while third seed Robby Ginepri plays Spain's Alberto Martin.

Top British prospect Andy Murray will take on Denmark's Kenneth Carlsen and the winner of that will play either Kiwi Mark Nielsen or fifth seed Mario Ancic from Croatia.

The other Kiwi in the main draw, Dan King-Turner, will play Germany's Florian Mayer.

Regular Auckland visitor, and twice winner, Dominik Hrbaty takes on Chile's Nicolas Massu

GonzoFan
01-07-2006, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the news Angelical! :yeah:

I have been looking for more than two hours for the complete draw as according to the news is was supposed to be out at 3.00 pm Auckland time.

It was pretty obvious his first round match against a qualifier.
Seeing the qualy draw there are some good players but not too dangerous

Now we'll have to wait for the full draw to be out.

Good Luck Gonzo in your first tournament of the year! :yeah:

GonzoFan
01-07-2006, 07:00 AM
here's the main draw

Main Draw

(1) Fernando Gonzalez (CHI)[/B] vs (Q)
(Q) vs Wesley Moodie (RSA)
Kenneth Carlsen (DEN) vs Andy Murray (GBR)
(WC) Mark Nielsen (NZL) vs (5) Mario Ancic (CRO)
(3) Robby Ginepri (USA) vs Alberto Martin (ESP)
Tomas Zib (CZE) vs Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI)
(WC) Daniel King (NZL) vs Florian Mayer (GER)
Robin Vik (CZE) vs (8) Feliciano Lopez (ESP)
(7) Jarkko Nieminen (FIN) vs Marcos Baghdatis (CYP)
Filippo Volandri (ITA) vs Paul Goldstein (USA)
Christopher Rochus (BEL) vs Jose Acasuso (ARG)
Nicolas Massu (CHI) vs (4) Dominik Hrbaty (SVK)
(6) Olivier Rochus (BEL) vs Albert Montañes (ESP)
(Q) vs Andrei Paverl (ROM)
(Q) Danielle Bracciali (ITA)
(Q) vs (2) David Ferrer (ESP)

any opinions about the draw??

I didn't like it too much

In 2nd round it could be a match against Moodie, big server guy ... again! :lol:
remember their match in the USO? Gonzo won in 4 sets
This guy could be a hard task but Gonzo can beat him and then in 3rd round against Murray or Ancic -big server guy again :lol:

we'll have to wait and see what happens there...

GonzoFan
01-07-2006, 07:01 AM
Fernando will play doubles as well with Nico Massu

MAIN DRAW DOBLES

(1) Simon Aspelin/Todd Perry (SWE/AUS) vs Petr Pala/Pavel Vizner (CZE)
Yves Allegro/Stanislas Warhrinka (SUI) vs (WC) Daniel King/Mark Nielsen (NZL)
(4) Gaston Etlis/Martin Garcia (ARG) vs Nicolas Massu/Fernando Gonzalez (CHI)Christopher Rochus/Olivier Rochus (BEL) vs Jordan Kerr/Travis Parrot (AUS/USA)
David Ferrer/Albert Montañes (ESP) vs Andrei Pavel/Rogier Wassen (ROM/NED)
(3) Jose Acasuso/Sebastian Prieto (ARG) vs Danielle Bracciali/Robby Ginepri (ITA/USA)
Robert Lindstedt/Jarkko Nieminem (SWE/FIN) vs Dominik Hrbaty/Jaroslav Levinsky (SVK/CZE)
(2) Mahesh Bhupathi/Wesley Moodie (IND/RSA) vs (WC) Rubin Statham/Adam Thompson (NZL)

I remember that last year he played with Thomas
I liked that team but with Nico Massu is much better :yeah:

angelical
01-07-2006, 07:25 AM
Thanks for posting GonzoFan... not an ideal draw. Qualifiers in the first round isn't always a good thing either as they've already got a few matches under their belt. Then potential quarters against Murray or Ancic... I'm sure Gonzo will rise to the challenge!

Yeah, Gonzo and Thomas were a good team but am looking forward to see him and Massu! :)

GonzoFan
01-07-2006, 07:37 AM
I'm sure you'll enjoy a lot seeing Fernando and Nico playing together! they are so entertaining to watch when they play doubles.

as Feña plays a qualifier we should see who could be.
the first round of the qualy is done and these are the players that are still trying to get into the main draw.

Federico Luzzi (ITA)
Adam Thompson (NZL)
James Pade (USA)
Tomas Cakl (CZE)

(2)Ivo Minar (CZE)
Kyu Tae Im (KOR)
Anthony Dupuis (FRA)
Benedikt Dorsch (GER)

(3)Jan Hernych (CZE)
Michael Lammer (SUI)
Jan Mertl (CZE)
(8)Ivan Navarro Pastor (ESP)

(4)Luis Horna (PER)
Wesley Whitehouse (RSA)
Gregory Carraz (FRA)
(7)Raemon Sluiter (NED)

angelical
01-07-2006, 07:40 AM
I hope it's Adam Thompson... Gonzo could easily beat him :p

GonzoFan
01-07-2006, 07:45 AM
if Gonzo is on he could easily beat anyone ;) but let's hope it's Adam Thompson :yeah: :lol:

+alonso
01-07-2006, 07:46 AM
:yeah: Feña got nice draw
Good Luck to him!! :woohoo: Let's hope he does very good in here! :D

+alonso
01-07-2006, 07:48 AM
Let's hope will not be Navarro Pastor, but nah, nevermind.. Feña is getting mentally stronger everyday :D

GonzoFan
01-07-2006, 07:51 AM
Let's hope will not be Navarro Pastor, but nah, nevermind.. Feña is getting mentally stronger everyday :D

I remember his match against him in Valencia :eek: bad bad memories :lol:

+alonso
01-07-2006, 07:53 AM
I remember his match against him in Valencia :eek: bad bad memories :lol:
Ouch! That one hurted me a lot! :lol: :eek:

+alonso
01-07-2006, 07:55 AM
But I think Fernando is ready for everything.. even being Top 10 :D

GonzoFan
01-07-2006, 07:56 AM
Ouch! That one hurted me a lot! :lol: :eek:

same here ... :lol:I couldn't believe it :eek:

I hope this year we won't have to suffer that kind of loses :)

GonzoFan
01-07-2006, 08:02 AM
But I think Fernando is ready for everything.. even being Top 10 :D

yeah! :yeah: he is only one spot away
and also last year Fernando showed that he is a lot more mature and has a lot more experience and also much more stronger physically and mentally so I'm sure he'll achieve his goals in the next years :yeah:

+alonso
01-07-2006, 08:03 AM
same here ... :lol:I couldn't believe it :eek:

I hope this year we won't have to suffer that kind of loses :)
I don't think so.. If he wants to be a Top 10 I'm sure he won't like loses like that one.. ;)

+alonso
01-07-2006, 08:04 AM
yeah! :yeah: he is only one spot away
and also last year Fernando showed that he is a lot more mature and has a lot more experience and also much more stronger physically and mentally so I'm sure he'll achieve his goals in the next years :yeah:
;) you're right!
So nice to see fernando holding his victories

olimpo
01-07-2006, 08:10 AM
Hey you Chilean Feñaticos still up? ;) I’m already up as it’s 9am here and for you it’s 5 am. Okay I know that GonzoFan is a night owl but did not know that you are too Alonso ;)

I agree with GonzoFan and Angelical. I don’t like the draw because a qualifier is always dangerous in the first round especially as this is Fernando’s first tournament back and probably Wesley Moodie in the second :eek: and with players like Ancic and Murrary next. Well I’m not saying that he can’t do it – he can beat everyone, but I think our hopes for a change with his luck in the draws seems not to be the case. :(

:lol: last year we all prayed every week for a good draw and most of the time he didn't get a good one so let's hope this year will be different :)
but the great thing was that with crappy draws he got far in tournaments and won 3 so just imagine what he can do if he gets a little bit lucky and gets some good draws this year :yeah:

:yeah: exactly my thoughts.

+alonso
01-07-2006, 08:16 AM
Hmm I think Fena got a very very nice draw.. he can handle out all his oponents..
:lol: Nah, It's still 12.16 AM for me :lol: I'm in California :D

GonzoFan
01-07-2006, 08:19 AM
Hey you Chilean Feñaticos still up? ;) I’m already up as it’s 9am here and for you it’s 5 am. Okay I know that GonzoFan is a night owl but did not know that you are too Alonso ;)

I agree with GonzoFan and Angelical. I don’t like the draw because a qualifier is always dangerous in the first round especially as this is Fernando’s first tournament back and probably Wesley Moodie in the second :eek: and with players like Ancic and Murrary next. Well I’m not saying that he can’t do it – he can beat everyone, but I think our hopes for a change with his luck in the draws seems not to be the case. :(

Hi :wavey:
I was wating for the newspapers to come out on the internet :d wanted to read something because Coria talked about Gonzo again :mad: It seems that Gonzo's word hurted him a lot cause he just can't get over it!

you're right! I think we'll have to accept that lucky draws are definitely not for Gonzo :lol:
it seems that we'll have to see more and more crappy draws for him this year :sad:
but he is a great player so whoever he has to face he'll be ready to beat anyone :D

olimpo
01-07-2006, 08:19 AM
Hmm I think Fena got a very very nice draw.. he can handle out all his oponents.. :lol: Nah, It's still 12.16 AM for me :lol: I'm in California :D

Yes of course Fernando can and will :yeah: but I don't like the draw.

Ah I see you are in California :lol: You see I know you well as I was very surprised to find you here at that time ;) Are you on vacation?

+alonso
01-07-2006, 08:21 AM
Yes of course Fernando can and will :yeah: but I don't like the draw.

Ah I see you are in California :lol: You see I know you well as I was very surprised to find you here at that time ;) Are you on vacation?

;) Ok, We can agree to disagree :D :yeah:

Hmm kind of... I'll stay in here to study, but we need to be sure abot it! ;)
Hope you're doing great btw :)

GonzoFan
01-07-2006, 08:23 AM
Hmm I think Fena got a very very nice draw.. he can handle out all his oponents..
:lol: Nah, It's still 12.16 AM for me :lol: I'm in California :D

we know that he can handle all his opponents but I still don't like the draw :lol:

so you are in California! that's so cool! :yeah:
my dad was there until december but now he is living in Chicago again but I have an aunt and some cousins living there.

olimpo
01-07-2006, 08:25 AM
Hi :wavey:
I was wating for the newspapers to come out on the internet :d wanted to read something because Coria talked about Gonzo again :mad: It seems that Gonzo's word hurted him a lot cause he just can't get over it!

you're right! I think we'll have to accept that lucky draws are definitely not for Gonzo :lol:
it seems that we'll have to see more and more crappy draws for him this year :sad:
but he is a great player so whoever he has to face he'll be ready to beat anyone :D

Yeah I read that too and yes it seems he just can't get over it :lol:

And yes agree about the draws we and he just have to live with crappy draws but a great player like him can do it even without luck from the tennis gods. ;)

+alonso
01-07-2006, 08:27 AM
Coria should be more worried about his start of season than this!

GonzoFan
01-07-2006, 08:28 AM
Off topic - Olimpo I sent you a PM ;)

and you won't believe it but I just watched an interview with Coria on ESPN and he talked about Fernando AGAIN! :lol: he said that he was a baby and a coward cause Feña didn't tell him in his face what he thinks about him :mad:

He definitely definitely definitely can't get over it and forget about it!

olimpo
01-07-2006, 08:29 AM
;) Ok, We can agree to disagree :D :yeah:

Hmm kind of... I'll stay in here to study, but we need to be sure abot it! ;)
Hope you're doing great btw :)

Wow how great; hope you like it. I'm sure it is a great expierence. Yes I'm doing fine, thanks :)

+alonso
01-07-2006, 08:29 AM
we know that he can handle all his opponents but I still don't like the draw :lol:

so you are in California! that's so cool! :yeah:
my dad was there until december but now he is living in Chicago again but I have an aunt and some cousins living there.
Oh, Nice :D Cali is very beautiful.. and a great nice seasoned climate ;)

GonzoFan
01-07-2006, 08:30 AM
Coria should be more worried about his start of season than this!

yeah! I know ... he ended the season playing really bad so better for him to worry about his game and stop talking about something that is already part of the past

olimpo
01-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Yeah, Gonzo and Thomas were a good team but am looking forward to see him and Massu! :)

Have fun Angelical! I'm sure you'll enjoy seeing them playing doubles together. It's so great. I wish I was in Auckland too. And please keep us informed about our Fernando when you can.

+alonso
01-07-2006, 08:48 AM
Ok , Fenaticos I gtg now :hug: Cuidate Maria Jose :hug: Take care Olimpo! :D

Have a nice day

olimpo
01-07-2006, 08:50 AM

Have a nice day

Bye Alonso. Sleep well and have a nice day too! :hug:

GonzoFan
01-07-2006, 08:51 AM

Have a nice day

Gracias! :hug: tu tambien cuidate :yeah:

I'm going to bed now :zzz: it's almost 6.00 am

Take care Feñaticos and see you all later! :D

olimpo
01-07-2006, 08:53 AM
Gracias! :hug: tu tambien cuidate :yeah:

I'm going to bed now :zzz: it's almost 6.00 am

Take care Feñaticos and see you all later! :D

Sleep well GonzoFan :hug: And I'll have breakfast now ;)

enqvistfan
01-07-2006, 10:09 AM
The forum was lively the last few hours :) Have a good night everyone :hug: Europeans will take the relay now :) But, we'll start here to stay up all the night with Auckland and Melbourne. I don't like this period of the year a lot cause we look like a zombie at work every day :lol:

About Coria, I have never understood that player. It's not since Madrid, I have never liked him. Well, if he can't forget, he could solve the problem in private with Fernando and not via medias. We don't care about their stories.

Great that the Auckland's draw is now available. Things are concrete now :)
Angelical : have fun at the tournament and tell us everything if you watch Fernando. Thank you :hug:

Regarding the draw, it's going to be a little bit tough. The first round is possible, then it will depend on the shape of the moment. I hope he won't face any big servers, cause I don't like those kind of players and it's never easy to play against them. But, i'm confident, he's able to defeat the players he has in his draw, so I'm sure he'll go far, and the fact to defend his title will motivate him more. So, good luck and vamos :bounce: :bounce:

olimpo
01-07-2006, 10:22 AM
I don't like this period of the year a lot cause we look like a zombie at work every day :lol:

:yeah: Me too, Val - I'll look the same :lol:

Last year I was already done and a wreck after the Auckland week especially with the hassle to get scores as there's no live scoreboard until the QF. But with Fernando winning the tournament it was worth it all. :)

About Coria, I have never understood that player. It's not since Madrid, I have never liked him.

Totally agree never liked or understood him ;)

enqvistfan
01-07-2006, 02:02 PM
New article, but Phili withdrew. There are a few things about Fernando :)

[http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3531753a1823,00.html]

Big hitters dominate Heineken Open draw
07 January 2006
By JANE MARSHALL

Power, punch and possibly shades of pink will grace the courts at New Zealand's premier tennis tournament.

And if all else fails, Heineken Open tournament director Graham Pearce may seek intervention from one of the game's Greek Gods to set tongues wagging when play starts on Monday.

The field may be missing a top-10 player like last year's top seed Guillermo Coria, but Pearce has attracted a talented and colourful line-up – quite literally, if two-time open champion Dominik Hrbaty sports the little pink number which turned heads on the ATP circuit last year.

The powerful artillery of defending champion Fernando Gonzalez from Chile and the booming serve of Australian Mark Philippoussis ensures that the linesmen and ballboys and girls will take their lives into their own hands every time they step on-court.

Couple that with the punch and speed around court that pint-sized Belgian and surprise 2005 finalist Olivier Rochus provides and rising fortunes from Andy Murray (Britain) and Marcos Baghdatis (Cyprus), and fans' appetites will be truly whetted by the tennis feast on offer.

As the highest ranked player in the draw the odds are stacked in favour of Gonzalez to become the first player in 20 years to win two successive titles at the Auckland international event

Kiwi Onny Parun was the last player to win back-to-back singles crowns – his second in the 1975-76 season. Since then the open title has swapped hands every year.

Gonzalez was the last to win the Heineken Open trophy with his straight-sets win over the relatively unknown Rochus last year. It marked the start of the Chilean's best season of his career, winning another two ATP singles titles at Amersfoot in the Netherlands and Basel. Gonzalez was also the only player on the international circuit to finish in the top 25 in both singles and doubles.

The Athens Olympic doubles gold medallist has the power behind his play to pummel his opponents, which he will need next week with a Heineken field which boasts seven players in the world's top 30.

His strength from behind the baseline keeps his opponents on the back foot and has helped him reach a career-high ranking of No 11.

But he is not the only player at this year's Open to wield some muscle with the racket.

A sizzling serve – clocked as the third fastest ever at 227kmh – is the main weapon in Philippoussis's bag of tricks, earning him the nickname "Scud". Only Andy Roddick (249kmh) and Greg Rusedski (240kmh) have sent down faster serves.
Advertisement
Advertisement

But with a forehand as ferocious as his serve, the spotlight in Auckland is bound to fall on the Australian, who hobbled out of the tennis elite with dodgy knees. Philippoussis reached a career high of No 8 in the world in 1999 but struggled to overcome a crippling injury and underwent two operations in 2000 and a third in 2001 with synthetic cartilage fused into his knee.

He needed six months' rehabilitation – two months of which was spent in a wheelchair – and was told by doctors he may never play again.

He did, climbing back to No 9 in 2003 before injury took another swipe at him. Since then he has stumbled through two seasons hampered by injuries – including a three-month layoff last year with an ankle injury – and saw his ranking slip out of the top 100 for the second consecutive year.

Pearce, however, granted the 29-year-old a wildcard for his first appearance in Auckland as Philippoussis attempts to again reignite his career. Though his tennis stature may have slipped, his celebrity status boiled over off-court, where he has been linked with tennis starlet Anna Kournikova, singer Delta Goodrum and reality TV star Paris Hilton. He was due to marry Miami model Alexis Barbara last month.

Philippoussis, however, now looks ready to leave his headline-grabbing feats on court.

But it will not be the easiest field for the Australian to dissect in Auckland, with Spaniard David Ferrer the second seed, American Robby Ginepri, Hrbaty (Slovakia) and Croat Mariano Ancic rounding out the top five. All players are ranked in the top 25 in the world. Last year's finalist Rochus is seeded sixth and will have family support in the form of older brother Christophe, who is also part of the main draw.

There will also be something for the patriotic Kiwi fans to cheer for early next week with New Zealand No 1 Mark Nielsen and Canterbury player Daniel King-Turner given wildcards into the main draw. Nielsen has been a regular wildcard entry at the open, and King-Turner played for the first time last year in the doubles. It will be his first appearance in the singles.

The Open's quarterfinals start on Thursday, with the final scheduled to be played on Saturday

enqvistfan
01-07-2006, 02:13 PM
[Another article]
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/event/story.cfm?c_id=529&ObjectID=10362717

Tennis: Heineken top seeds show dedication

Fernando Gonzalez wasted no time in showing he means business.

The top seed and defending champion for next week's Heineken Open arrived in Auckland at 4 o'clock yesterday morning.

Within five hours he was on court for an hour-long practice and followed that with a further two-hour spell later in the day.

The popular Chilean, who won three times on the ATP Tour last year, is not alone in giving himself every chance on his first stop on this year's circuit.

Also on court at the ASB Bank Tennis Centre yesterday, again within hours of touching down, were second and third seeds David Ferrer (Spain) and American Robby Ginepri.

Unlike many of the 64 players who will play either weekend qualifying or in the main draw from Monday, the trio bypassed tournaments in Doha, Chennai and Adelaide this week.

"Preparation-wise, my build-up has been very good," said Ginepri, who was asked about his run at the US Open where he won three successive five-set matches before bowing out in a fourth to Andre Agassi in his first Grand Slam semifinal.

"I spent a week in a camp in Miami with 16 players which really helped," said Ginepri, who echoed the thoughts of many players in saying he always looked forward to his time in Auckland.

"The Rebound Ace courts here suit my game.

"This tournament gives me the chance to continue where I left off last year. Everyone plays better off confidence - especially me. It is important to win matches here as a lead-in to the Australian Open."

Gonzalez, who has won seven times on tour - with all but his win here on clay - said it was a pleasure to come back and defend a title which meant much to him.

"It is my fifth year in a row in Auckland," said Gonzalez.

"I had a short break after the Masters Cup in China but have been preparing well since."

Asked about his goals for the year, the world No 11 said that had not changed.

"There is only one - to be in the top eight," he said.

"I want to be in the Masters at the end of the year."

Free of injury, Gonzalez again hopes to feed off the support of the Chilean community who have supported "their" players so well in the past.

"The field is very strong but I have all the motivation [defending his title] I need to play well," said Gonzalez. "It is an honour to play here."

In a late change, world No 57 Karol Beck (Slovakia) has withdrawn.

His place in the main draw has been taken by Italian Daniele Bracciali.

First-round qualifying matches will be played today, with the eight second-round games tomorrow. All will be played at the More FM Tennis Centre.

The last four qualifying matches will be played at the tournament venue on Monday morning.

The main draw is scheduled to be made this afternoon

GonzoFan
01-07-2006, 03:43 PM
Thank you so much for the articles, Val :hug:
So great to know that he is so motivated :D

olimpo
01-07-2006, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the articles, Val :)

Our Fernando seems very determined :hatoff: Not that I didn’t expect it, but nice to get it confirmed. Hope all will pay off.

Best of luck, Fernando!!! :kiss:

enqvistfan
01-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Check the second website I mentionned during the tourney because apparently, there are a lot of articles about Heineken Open. I saw articles from last year. So, a good source :yeah:

angelical
01-07-2006, 10:47 PM
The NZ Herald site is ok but I think the TVNZ site http://www.tvnz.co.nz/view/sport_sub_cat_skin/sport_tennis_index_group is a bit better... there seems to be more updates and they get the info up quicker than the Herald

enqvistfan
01-07-2006, 11:04 PM
The NZ Herald site is ok but I think the TVNZ site http://www.tvnz.co.nz/view/sport_sub_cat_skin/sport_tennis_index_group is a bit better... there seems to be more updates and they get the info up quicker than the Herald

thank you Angelical :hug: but at the moment, it doesn't work for me :(

http://www.tvnz.co.nz/

Fergie
01-08-2006, 03:04 AM
Thanks for the articles! :yeah:

Vamos Feña! :bounce:

angelical
01-08-2006, 06:09 AM
Here's the order of play... http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/posting/2006/301/OP.pdf

Gonzo and Nico play in the last match of the day...

The TVNZ link seems to be working again, I know they were doing maintenance or something a little while ago... I thought it would be easier to give the link to the tennis news rather than have you guys clicking on sports and tennis etc...

Fergie
01-08-2006, 06:17 AM
Vamos chicos! :bounce:

GonzoFan
01-08-2006, 06:35 AM
thanks for all the info Angelical and Val :hug:

GonzoFan
01-08-2006, 06:37 AM
Here's the order of play... http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/posting/2006/301/OP.pdf

The TVNZ link seems to be working again, I know they were doing maintenance or something a little while ago... I thought it would be easier to give the link to the tennis news rather than have you guys clicking on sports and tennis etc...

Yeay! Vamos Feña and Nico :rocker2:
I think it's great that they are playing doubles first ;)

GonzoFan
01-08-2006, 08:36 AM
2nd round of the qualy is done and these are the players that are still trying to get into the main draw and that Fernando could face in his first round match

Qualifiyng Draw 2nd Round

Federico Luzzi (ITA)
Tomas Cakl (CZE)

(2)Ivo Minar (CZE)
Benedikt Dorsch (GER)

(3)Jan Hernych (CZE)
(8)Ivan Navarro Pastor (ESP)

(4)Luis Horna (PER)
(7)Raemon Sluiter (NED)

angelical - it won't be Thompson ... he lost 6-1 6-0 to Luzzi ... :rolleyes:

enqvistfan
01-08-2006, 08:49 AM

Yes, it's working again :) Thank you :hug: and thanks also for the order of play. It will be a good practrice for the singles

GonzoFan
01-08-2006, 07:28 PM
does somebody know about a livescore ? I have been looking for one but still don't find any

olimpo
01-08-2006, 08:08 PM
does somebody know about a livescore ? I have been looking for one but still don't find any

There weren’t any last year until the quarters or even the semis when the TV coverage in NZ started, it was such a hassle and my nerves were shoot after that week :lol: But this year there’ll be TV coverage from the first day onwards in NZ and that’s why I hope for live scores of Fernando’s matches on one of the Chilean sites or even TV coverage for you in Chile. But the NZ tv is not broadcasting the night session starting at 7pm and so there won’t probably any live scores for the doubles tomorrow and maybe also not of Fernando’s singles matches if they schedule him to play then :(

We just have to wait and see and pray that it will be not such a nightmare like last year. On the other hand I was so happy with his win that I forgot about all nerve wrecking nights that I spent in front of the computer and that made me look like a Zombie :lol:

RogiFan88
01-08-2006, 10:23 PM
Any OOP for tomorrow?

VAMOS, EL BOMBARDERO!!!

sonia
01-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Vamos Feña!!!! :bounce: Good luck!!

GonzoFan
01-09-2006, 06:49 AM
first round

Fernando Gonzalez vs Luis Horna (lucky losser) :mad:

GonzoFan
01-09-2006, 07:18 AM
Order of Play - Tuesday

Gonzo plays in the third turn of the Stadium

Center Court 11 am

Nieminen vs Baghdatis

Ginepri vs Martin

Gonzalez vs Horna

Allegro/Wawrinka vs King-Turner/Nielsen

not before 7 pm

Massu vs Hrbaty

Statham/Thomson vs Bhupathi/Moodie

MUCHA BUENA SUERTE GONZO !!!! VAMOS !!!!!

no livescore! and it seems that no tv coverage! yesterday in the news here in Chile they said (Chilevision) that they'll show Auckland but I think it will be from the quarters :sad: hope I'm wrong and I'll have the match tomorrow on tv :unsure:

angelical
01-09-2006, 10:10 AM
Well Gonzo and Nico won the doubles! 7-5, 6-0! Yay!!!! What a match! (I've actually just got home :p, suffering from a massive headache (different story :lol: and still coming down from the excitement) The first set, the guys were trailing 0-3 but eventually took it out and then just hit that 2nd set with a vengence (hence the bagel). All you guys were right, Nico and Gonzo are so much fun! and the crowd just loved them too :)

Yeah, unfortunately, any TV coverage here stops about 6pm at the latest.

FelipeMIA89
01-09-2006, 11:31 AM
woooohoooooo thats awesome!!

NicoFan
01-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Well Gonzo and Nico won the doubles! 7-5, 6-0! Yay!!!! What a match! (I've actually just got home :p, suffering from a massive headache (different story :lol: and still coming down from the excitement) The first set, the guys were trailing 0-3 but eventually took it out and then just hit that 2nd set with a vengence (hence the bagel). All you guys were right, Nico and Gonzo are so much fun! and the crowd just loved them too :)

Yeah, unfortunately, any TV coverage here stops about 6pm at the latest.

I enjoy watching them play doubles together more than I enjoy watching them individually play singles. :lol:

Much less stressful, and they really have fun playing together so that's fun for the fans too.

RogiFan88
01-09-2006, 03:54 PM
first round

Fernando Gonzalez vs Luis Horna (lucky losser) :mad:

I know how you feel... Horna... not the guy you want Fena to face in R1 but Fena has to beat him!

Great to hear Fena and Nico won their dbles! That s give Fena confidence!!

VAMOS, OSITO!!

NicoFan
01-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Horna isn't a person you want to face in the first round. :sad:

But think that Fernando will beat hiim. It will be a tougher match than anticipated, but very doable for our chico.

VAMOS FERNANDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fergie
01-09-2006, 04:33 PM
Vamos Feña, you can do it!!! :bounce:

Sparko1030
01-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Sounds like a great win in doubles for them! WOW! Good to know the Auckland crowd appreciated Fena and Nico, Angelical, thanks for the report!

And Good luck to Fena against Louis! :hatoff: VAMOS!!!!

GonzoFan
01-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Congrats to the chicos for their win !!!!! :bounce: Great win! :yeah:

thanks for the report angelical :hug: I hope that the headache is gone now.
Its so great to hear that the crowd loved them! well ... who can't love those two chicos, right? specially when you see them playing doubles :D so much fun :lol:

Don't like he has to face Horna but Fernando can beat him !!! we know it ;)

GonzoFan
01-09-2006, 05:08 PM
we will have a livescore!!!! :woohoo:

www.cooperativa.cl just click on deportes and you'll see it !!!!

+alonso
01-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Help me to save Nico in PYW :D Please
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=2901215#post2901215
He has Mps against him!

BTW Feña already won in PYW 6-0 6-1 :D (Just a game) ;)

olimpo
01-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Great that there’ll be at least a ticker! But I have seen that pav from NZ is back in the OOP thread :) I remember him very well from last year. He did a fantastic job all week and it’s just so lovely of him to come every year over to MTF to help us desperate folks out with scores and updates :worship:

Thanks Angelical for the report. I’m glad you enjoyed the doubles very much – we all who have watched them together before knew that you would ;)

I’m not happy with Horna either, but what can we do??? :(

Best of luck, Fernando - you can beat him :kiss:

!Vamos! :bigclap:

+alonso
01-09-2006, 07:17 PM
Please, just 3 of you guys :sobbing:
Nico can't lose!
He's 2-5 right now...
VOTE .. the only thing you have to do is write Nico's name and post it :D

DhammaTiger
01-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Buena suerte El Bombardero. Vamos Fena!!!!

angelical
01-09-2006, 07:21 PM
I enjoy watching them play doubles together more than I enjoy watching them individually play singles. :lol:

Much less stressful, and they really have fun playing together so that's fun for the fans too.
Yeah, Gonzo and Nico have a good rapport on court (don't mind me, behaviour stuff is part of what I study :p). At time I found them their playing kinda scary - with the way the 2 of them go for the ball. I'm glad my seats aren't the ones behind the baseline... :lol:
Gonzofan: yes, headache's gone, thanks for the asking but the head still hurts (I um... walked/smashed into a lamp-post :lol: :silly: )

Corinna
01-09-2006, 07:34 PM
congrats to the two of them :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
they're such an awesome couple ;)

:hug: good luck gonzo :yeah:

enqvistfan
01-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Thanks Angelical for the report :hug:
Like Nicofan said, it's great to see them in the doubles, and Fernando is still smiling during the doubles match :) And, they make a good pair together. So, I hope they'll go very far this week.

Second, Horna. Yes, it's not the best choice. He's dangerous. I only saw him play once in LIVE, was in Roland-Garros a few years ago and he def. Philippoussis. Nobody mentionned their head to head. Fernando leads 3-0 but all the meetings were on clay, last meeting was in 2004 in Sweden. Fernando knows how to beat him. So, fingers crossed !!

NicoFan
01-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Yeah, Gonzo and Nico have a good rapport on court (don't mind me, behaviour stuff is part of what I study :p). At time I found them their playing kinda scary - with the way the 2 of them go for the ball. I'm glad my seats aren't the ones behind the baseline... :lol:
Gonzofan: yes, headache's gone, thanks for the asking but the head still hurts (I um... walked/smashed into a lamp-post :lol: :silly: )

Oh you poor girl. :eek: I did that once though too....kind of embarrassing. :lol: :lol:

They are scary the way they play in doubles going for the ball. But Corinna is right - they're a cute couple. :hug: :lol: (Thank goodness they don't know what we say about them. :p )

FelipeMIA89
01-09-2006, 11:52 PM
VAMOS GONZO!!! SI SE PUEDE!! GO AHEAD AND WIN THE TOURNAMENT ONE MATCH AT A TIME!! C-H-I CHI!! L-E LE!! CHI CHI CHI LE LE LE VIVA CHILE!! jejejeje

GonzoFan
01-10-2006, 01:49 AM
Gonzo's match will start soon

GonzoFan
01-10-2006, 02:39 AM
Feña won the first set 6-3

GonzoFan
01-10-2006, 03:02 AM
Gonzo 5-3 up in the second set

GonzoFan
01-10-2006, 03:36 AM
Gonzo won 6-3 6-4 !!!!!! :woohoo:

Great way to start the new season !!!!

reading what pav said it seems that Gonzo serve was working really well, he hit a lot of aces :yeah: like 15 or so :yeah:

first set he won it easily and then in the second started 2-0 down but then broke inmeaditely back then held his serve and broke again then he only kept his serve and won the match :yeah:

as it was his first match of the year I thought it was going to be a 3 sets match but he did it quickly and did a great job ;)

CONGRATS FERNANDO FOR YOU FIRST WIN OF THE SEASON !!!!!
hope there will be many many more !!!

GonzoFan
01-10-2006, 03:39 AM
second round

Fernando Gonzalez vs Ivo Minar

Sparko1030
01-10-2006, 03:56 AM
:banana: Way to go Fernando!!! :banana:

15 aces? not too shabby! Keep it up Nando!!!

RogiFan88
01-10-2006, 04:12 AM
Fantastic R1 for Fena!!! I just checked here now and saw that GonzoFan posted Fernando vs. Minar for second round!!

YAY!!! VAMOS, FENA! Keep going! Just beat everyone... this is the best news I've heard all day [since Juanqui lost to Guccione in Sydney -- very sad... ].

I want to keep smiling all week, Fena!! VAMOS, OSITO!!

[I think his win in doubles w Nico helped him today!]

GonzoFan
01-10-2006, 07:53 AM
http://www.tvnz.co.nz

go there then click on sports then scroll down a bit and you can see a video with some highlights of Gonzo's match and also a really short interview :yeah:

Vamos Feńa
01-10-2006, 08:16 AM
Yay Congratz Feña!! :D Good start of the season! :hug: :banana: Keep it up :yeah:
Congratz also for doubles! Great that crowd loves Feña and Nico! :D:D
Must go I escaped from lessons at school ;)
Bye all :vavey: Take care :hug:

angelical
01-10-2006, 09:53 AM
Gonzo won 6-3 6-4 !!!!!! :woohoo:

Great way to start the new season !!!!

reading what pav said it seems that Gonzo serve was working really well, he hit a lot of aces :yeah: like 15 or so :yeah:

first set he won it easily and then in the second started 2-0 down but then broke inmeaditely back then held his serve and broke again then he only kept his serve and won the match :yeah:

as it was his first match of the year I thought it was going to be a 3 sets match but he did it quickly and did a great job ;)

CONGRATS FERNANDO FOR YOU FIRST WIN OF THE SEASON !!!!!
hope there will be many many more !!!
Yeah, apart from that little hiccup in the 2nd set where he was down a break, Gonzo was in control the whole time and there wasn't really a doubt that he would go through. We love Gonzo here in Auckland!!

NicoFan
01-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Yeay for FERNANDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bounce: :bounce:

What a way to start the season! :woohoo:

FelipeMIA89
01-10-2006, 12:53 PM
VAMOS GONZO!!! VIVA CHILE!! ALSO GREAT WIN FOR MASSU!! HAPPY FOR HIM TOOO!!

GonzoFan
01-10-2006, 06:55 PM
a cool article about Gonzo's win over Horna

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3536001a1823,00.html

Sparko1030
01-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the article Gonzofan! Really makes me wish I (we) could actually see him play! Sounds like he was in great form. And its great to know the crowd likes him in NZ (although how could anyone not ;) ) And hey, Gonzofan-how are you doing today? Did you get any :zzz: in the last 24 hours??? Looks like Fena's match will be the late one tonight... :eek:

And a Big Good Luck to Fernando against Minar!!! :hatoff: Keep it going Fena!!!

GonzoFan
01-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the article Gonzofan! Really makes me wish I (we) could actually see him play! Sounds like he was in great form. And its great to know the crowd likes him in NZ (although how could anyone not ;) ) And hey, Gonzofan-how are you doing today? Did you get any :zzz: in the last 24 hours??? Looks like Fena's match will be the late one tonight... :eek:

And a Big Good Luck to Fernando against Minar!!! :hatoff: Keep it going Fena!!!

I felt the same as you when I read the article!
but it's so great to read some many good things about him and how he felt in the match and how good he is playing and also how much the crowd love him! :D

I'm not too good ... had only 4 hours of sleep :lol: but well anything for Feña! but I think I'll try to take a nap later cause Feña plays at 3.00 am chilean time :zzz: and It seems that I'll have the match on tv today :bounce: but not so sure ... Fox Sports said that they'll show Auckland so hopefully they'll show Fernando's match today at night :D

BUENA SUERTE FEÑA !!!!!

VAMOS !!!!!!

TU PUEDES !!!!!

GonzoFan
01-10-2006, 07:29 PM
Angelical - you were there in his match yesterday, right??? any details you could tell us about the match ??? it's always great to know what people that was there saw, it makes me feel like I was there too :D

enqvistfan
01-10-2006, 08:00 PM
Thanks a lot guys for the great news :hug:

Congrats to Fernando, great victory :banana:
Thanks Gonzofan for the links, I'm going to check them right now, can't wait to see the videos.

You are brave to stay up all night. At the moment, I can't cause I'm very tired with my work, I didn't have the time to check the forum during my work hours (a shame :lol: ). I hope to follow him more seriously during the Aussie Open :)

Good luck for the next round :bounce:

olimpo
01-10-2006, 10:08 PM
Thanks everyone for the links, pics and reports. :)

I did get up for his match last night at 3am like I did every night 1 year ago when he won Auckland ;) Tomorrow I'll try to follow his match from the office and probably can’t post anything, but will be there.

Best of luck, Fernando - you can beat Minar! :kiss:

¡VAMOS! :bigclap:

DhammaTiger
01-10-2006, 10:23 PM
Congratulations to all Fena fans. Great win for him yesterday. A great win and a great start for the season. Now Vamos El Bomardero and beat Minar.

Fergie
01-10-2006, 10:49 PM
Well done Feña and now good luck against Ivo! :bounce:

GonzoFan
01-10-2006, 11:23 PM
Gonzo plays not before 7.00 pm - Auckland time

RogiFan88
01-11-2006, 04:19 AM
I have to go now, getting late but I'll cheer on Fena in my sleep! ;)

VAMOS, OSITO!!

[well done to Nico!!]

angelical
01-11-2006, 04:48 AM
Gonzo played absolutely amazing yesterday... hardly any errors and most of his service games were really short (it was a pretty quick/shot match), his serve was good - fired a good number of aces! Yay!

Gonzo zoomed to a pretty sweet lead in the first set but then Horna caught up but was still was always behind, Gonzo took the set 6-3. Even though he was down a break in the 2nd set, Gonzo was never really in any trouble... he eventually breezed through it and won the match. He was having out there and playing fantastic tennis at the same! Some superb shots (drop shots included... well, we know he can mix it up) and points, he was on fire! He was cheered on by a great Auckland crowd - very vocal and enthusiastic Chileans in the crowds (love them!) They just add to the atmosphere, their chanting and their flags waving and I think Gonzo (and Nico) really appreciate it.

I was soooo annoyed with myself because I actually had this 1st round after-match interview on my camera but it’s a new camera and I ended up accidentally deleting – sorry guys :( Unfortunately, I don’t have my USB cable otherwise I could also upload some of the pictures from the camera

Not sure if you want to know about Nico but he won against Rochus… that was tense at the start because Rochus was leading something like 3-0 but he came back and won it 6-4 (I think) then 2nd was very straightforward… took it out fairly easily 6-2 (sorry, I can’t remember the exact scores).

Gonzo was out back on the practice courts (he was in red :p) when I left (I couldn’t be bothered hanging around the stadium so I came up to the university to use the computers, I kinda wanted to watch Gonzo practice a bit but I felt a bit like a stalker :lol: ), his match starts in about an hour and he could be playing Ancic tomorrow (oooh…)

Sorry, it’s not a very detailed report but after seeing today’s matches, my memory from yesterday’s a bit fuzzy :p

I’m sorry about the time difference for you guys, I can totally sympathise

VAMOS GONZO!!!!!

GonzoFan
01-11-2006, 05:32 AM
Thank you so much for the great report angelical :hug:

It's so great to know that he started the season so strongly and playing so good !!! :D
also great to know about the crowd :D hope the crowd will help him to get through all of his matches :D
A big :hug: to all the people from NZ that support Gonzo and are cheering him up there in Auckland :hug:

and thanks again angelical :hug: so cool that you are there and can tell us everything :D
Have a great time for the rest of the tournament !!! hopefully seeing Gonzo win all of his matches there !!! :yeah:

Sparko1030
01-11-2006, 05:55 AM
Thanks for the great report Angelical! :worship: And yes I want to hear account of both Fena and Nico!!!

+alonso
01-11-2006, 07:32 AM
Greeat News again :cool: Fernando won 61 64 tonight :D !! I'm so happy.. We have 2 chileans in QF's ! VAMOS FER!! :rocker2:

Ps. I don't have the n (enie) .. the letter on my keyboard.. (la enie) i hate that :lol:

GonzoFan
01-11-2006, 07:32 AM
YEAY !!!! GONZO TO THE QUARTERS !!! :bounce:

beat Minar 6-1 6-4 :yeah:

the match was kinda weird and a bit irregular by Gonzo and his serve in the first games of each set (he even made 4 DF in one game :eek: )

Gonzo started serving and was broken inmediately but then he won the next six games in a row and took the first set 6-1

then in the second he was 3-0 down but won the next 5 games in a row and then took the second set 6-4 :D

Next Ancic ... :scared: I don't like when he has to play against big server guys ... :mad: it's going to be complicated I think but let's hope Feña will get through this match :D

CONGRATS TO GONZO !!!!! KEEP IT UP !!!!

GOOD LUCK FOR THE NEXT ROUND !!!

Sparko1030
01-11-2006, 07:36 AM
:banana: YEAY Fernando!!!! :banana:

Like Gonzofan said he gave a bit of a scare but he won and that is what counts!!! And Ancic will be tough-I hate those big servers too-but Fena can do it-must play well but that shouldn't be a problem. ;)

angelical
01-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Yes! That match against Minar was definitely scary... not to mention those booming forehands. Even though the first set was 6-1, Gonzo was shaky to start and was broken in the first game, luckily he broke back and held his serve to take the first set in 26 minutes. The 2nd was definitely nerve-wracking... As GonzoFan said, he was down 0-3 (like Nico earlier today :p), he double-faulted away one of those games (I know, I couldn't believe it!) and then gave away quite a few point through errors, you could tell he was frustrated, I think the crowd was also feeling for him. Horatio, who was sitting nearby, was a little disappointed at the start of the 2nd set when Gonzo lost his serve, he sat there watching, shaking his head

I think as Gonzo got into more trouble the harder he started to hit, omg the sound of those tennis balls. Minar is one of the only players I've seen at Auckland who has even tried to return Gonzo's overhead smash - he never succeeded, but at least he tried. Minar was also playing not so good towards the end. The net was not his friend! He started to get angry and frustrated, which probably affected his game too. But once Gonzo got his serve back, I calmed down too :lol: There was a bit of trouble with match point... just when we (and Gonzo himself) all thought he ended the match with an ace, the empire called let so it was onto his 2nd serve. And he finished the match with a fantastic high backhand volley! It was great! The crowd went wild... he thanked the fans in the little after-match talk... the MC asked if he wanted to thank his Chilean fans, he something in Spanish and all I managed to catch was 'thanks for everything' (he spoke really fast and let's just say my Spanish leaves a lot to be desired!), which of course set them off again.

There was a kind of funny point in the match where Gonzo played with his left-hand, it was out anyway but I had to confirm with my sister that he had atually tried to return that shot with his left hand :lol:

Oh, something I forgot from yesterday... After the match they had the Mercedes Road Rally, they got Gonzo to race a toy car with one of the kids in the crowd. They did that last year too and Gonzo won it, but this time, he seemed to have trouble controlling his car and lost. Afterwards, he spent a few minutes just playing with the car on court. It was so cute! He was just like a little kid!

And...after Nico's match last night, they got him to participate in the Heineken Big Smash. They pull 2 people from the crowd to do this. They give them this massive tennis racquet (it's got to be at least a meter in height) and they have 3 chances to try and return the player's serve. If they do, they win this huge bottle of Heineken (even if they don't, they usually give it to them anyway). It's a fun game and the players seem to enjoy it too as much as the crowds. They got this Chilean guy who managed easy and this NZ girl, who was first aced by Nico. The crowd all started kinda going "awwww" and kinda booing - but in a joking way, as if to say he was being mean. Nico then pointed to one of the official people standing near him and said that he made him do it :lol: He served again and this time the girl hit it and she got the prize. Then when they came to shake hands at the net, he gave me a kiss on the cheek, the crowd went "oooooh" I'm sure many of the female fans wouldn't have minded being in that position :lol:

Anyway, Nico and Gonzo are up against the Rochus brothers tomorrow in the doubles... (last match of the day) They both play their singles early in the day and I'm actually kinda nervous about Gonzo's match against Ancic. It's going to be fun though... the Chilean fans on one side and Croatian on the other lol. (wow, this was a long post :p)

DhammaTiger
01-11-2006, 10:45 AM
Great Fena wins again!! Fabulous news for Chile, Nico is winning als Don't worry GonzoFan El Bombardero will take care of Ancic too. He is on a roll, and destined for the top ten by the time AO is over. Vamos El Bombardero.

NicoFan
01-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Great win for Fernando! :bounce: I'm so happy for him! :woohoo:

And thanks so much angelical for the update! :hug:

NicoFan
01-11-2006, 02:39 PM
Oh, something I forgot from yesterday... After the match they had the Mercedes Road Rally, they got Gonzo to race a toy car with one of the kids in the crowd. They did that last year too and Gonzo won it, but this time, he seemed to have trouble controlling his car and lost. Afterwards, he spent a few minutes just playing with the car on court. It was so cute! He was just like a little kid!

And...after Nico's match last night, they got him to participate in the Heineken Big Smash. They pull 2 people from the crowd to do this. They give them this massive tennis racquet (it's got to be at least a meter in height) and they have 3 chances to try and return the player's serve. If they do, they win this huge bottle of Heineken (even if they don't, they usually give it to them anyway). It's a fun game and the players seem to enjoy it too as much as the crowds. They got this Chilean guy who managed easy and this NZ girl, who was first aced by Nico. The crowd all started kinda going "awwww" and kinda booing - but in a joking way, as if to say he was being mean. Nico then pointed to one of the official people standing near him and said that he made him do it :lol: He served again and this time the girl hit it and she got the prize. Then when they came to shake hands at the net, he gave me a kiss on the cheek, the crowd went "oooooh" I'm sure many of the female fans wouldn't have minded being in that position :lol:

I would have loved to seen both of these things! You're so lucky.

Fernando is like a big kid, and omg I would have died if Nico gave me a kiss on the cheek!

Fergie
01-11-2006, 02:59 PM
Well done Feña! :yeah:

And good luck with Mario today! :D

Sparko1030
01-11-2006, 03:14 PM
Thanks for another great report Angelical! :wavey: What cute stories of both the Chilieans.

And Good Luck to Fernando against Ancic!!! :hatoff: It could be tough but Fena can definatly win the match! VAMOS FENA!!!!

RogiFan88
01-11-2006, 04:57 PM
Nice easy win over Minar today 61 64 -- the way I like it!!

Next up: Ancic! Come on, Fena, just beat him!!

RogiFan88
01-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Great reports, guys!! Thank you so much! All these tennis players are really just big little boys!! ;)

I'm happy Nico won too!

Now keep winning, Chilenos!!

enqvistfan
01-11-2006, 06:37 PM
Sorry, again, I'm a bit late to react :lol: I've just seen the great news. Congrats Fernando :banana: And, thanks a lot Angelical for your great reports :hug: It's always very interesting. We feel that we are on spot !!

Good luck to Fernando tomorrow against Ancic and have fun Angelical :)

+alonso
01-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Yes, Thanks to angelical, you're very kind doing this.
today is the big test.. let's hope fernando can defeat mario and with a nice score if it's possible :lol: :yeah: Stay cool Fena. you can do it :D

Conita
01-11-2006, 07:05 PM
woohoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
im soo happy for Gonzalez and Massu
this will be an amazing year for Chilean tennis!!
VAMOS GONZALEZ!!
i really like Ancic but he is no way near my loved compatriot Gonzalez!
so bye bye mario and will see you in the A.O
xD

AGUANTE EL TENNIS CHILENO!!

GonzoFan
01-11-2006, 07:17 PM
Thank you so much for the great report angelical !!! :hug:

wish I was there!

and so cute the story about the race car :lol: as NicoFan said, Feña is like a big kid :lol: :hug:
I remember someone mentioned something about the same race car that Gonzo won last year ... I think it was you angelical ;) and if I'm not wrong you even post a picture of that moment ...

thanks again for the great report :yeah:

BUENA SUERTE FEÑA !!!!!

VAMOS A SEMIFINALES !!!!!

:bounce:

olimpo
01-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Thanks a lot Angelical for the great report :hug: What would we do without you and pav who is doing a fantastic job in the OOP thread. I remember also the game with the car from last year because pav had it on TV and told us about it and later you did also and like Gonzofan said I remember that you posted some pics of our "big kid" too ;)

Best of luck Fernando in the QF – you can beat Ancic! :kiss:

¡Vamos! :bigclap:

Btw. there are short audio clips of Fernando after both of his matches in Spanish and English on the ATP site. Thanks for the heads up, Sparko. :)

RogiFan88
01-11-2006, 07:39 PM
Yes, I listened to Fena's words -- I'm impressed by his command of English! ;) Not sure if I've heard Nico speak English before... anyone have any audio?? I'd like to hear him!

olimpo
01-11-2006, 07:46 PM
Yes, I listened to Fena's words -- I'm impressed by his command of English! ;)

Yes me too....I was thinking the same ;)

NicoFan
01-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Yes, I listened to Fena's words -- I'm impressed by his command of English! ;) Not sure if I've heard Nico speak English before... anyone have any audio?? I'd like to hear him!

Fena speaks English almost fluently - probably due to the time spent in Miami when he was younger. I'm always very impressed. Just little tiny mistakes - barely noticable.

Nico's spanish isn't as good as Fernando but not bad considering he's never lived in an English speaking country for a long time. The US Open site used to have an audio of Nico speaking English but its gone now - and never found another one. At the US tournaments last summer, I loved the way he said "sorry". He would roll the "r" into sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry. It was so cute. :)

GonzoFan
01-11-2006, 08:05 PM
Fena speaks English almost fluently - probably due to the time spent in Miami when he was younger. I'm always very impressed. Just little tiny mistakes - barely noticable.

Nico's spanish isn't as good as Fernando but not bad considering he's never lived in an English speaking country for a long time. The US Open site used to have an audio of Nico speaking English but its gone now - and never found another one. At the US tournaments last summer, I loved the way he said "sorry". He would roll the "r" into sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry. It was so cute. :)

I think you meant english ;)

I can't hear the audio ... :sad:

GonzoFan
01-11-2006, 08:11 PM
but I'v heard Fernando's english a lot of times before :yeah:

btw what did he said in that interview ??

RogiFan88
01-11-2006, 08:50 PM

Well, if I see Nico in Toronto this year, I'll just have to talk to him, in English and en espanol! ;) I barely saw in Montreal last year.

enqvistfan
01-11-2006, 09:45 PM
His english is very good with a sweet spanish accent :)
I know which video you meant Nicofan, but I think we can still find it.

NicoFan
01-11-2006, 10:48 PM
:lol: I did mean English! And can't remember what he said.

Although the Argentines do make fun of Nico's spanish so maybe.... ;) Ha! Just kidding. Poor Nico. :hug:

If you found it Val, I would be psyched. I wasn't able to though.

FelipeMIA89
01-12-2006, 02:06 AM
Gonzo lost the first set 0-6 :( VAMOS GONZO!! FIGHT FIGHT!! C-H-I CHI! L-E LE!! CHI CHI CHI LE LE LE VIVA CHILE AND GONZO!!

RogiFan88
01-12-2006, 02:30 AM
Noooo!!! VAMOS FENA!!!

GonzoFan
01-12-2006, 02:40 AM
Gonzo lost 6-0 6-3 ...

:sad:

GonzoFan
01-12-2006, 02:41 AM
no comments .... :sad:

just a big :hug: for Gonzo and hope he is okay for the Aussie Open ;)

wonder what happened in that match ...

NicoFan
01-12-2006, 02:47 AM
Poor Fernando. :hug:

I hope everything is okay too for the Oz Open.

Hopefully the papers will have some info tomorrow.

GonzoFan
01-12-2006, 02:50 AM
I don't even want to read the newspapers tomorrow :lol:

they always like to destroy Feña when he lose ... and even more this kind of losses ...

hate them! :mad:

GonzoFan
01-12-2006, 02:54 AM
saw Judio's Ranking thread and Feña could only drop to 12 or 13 no more than that ...

it's not that bad :D

NicoFan
01-12-2006, 02:58 AM
I hate them too GonzoFan! :mad:

And that's not a bad drop at all in the rankings. He can make it up easily.

And everyone has a bad match now and again. Happens to the best of them.

I just don't want him to get discouraged. He needs to just brush this aside and move on to the Australian Open!

GonzoFan
01-12-2006, 03:03 AM
I hate them too GonzoFan! :mad:

And that's not a bad drop at all in the rankings. He can make it up easily.

And everyone has a bad match now and again. Happens to the best of them.

I just don't want him to get discouraged. He needs to just brush this aside and move on to the Australian Open!

Exactly my thoughts, NicoFan :hug:

now I'm really going :lol:

Bye ... :wavey:

angelical
01-12-2006, 03:08 AM
Omg... what a heartbreaking match... do you guys want to hear it? :sad:

GonzoFan
01-12-2006, 03:11 AM
OMG !!! BAD BAD NEWS!!!! I just read something really bad in cooperativa.cl :sad:

it says that Gonzo had a lot of problems with his shoulder :sad: it says that it was hurting him a lot :sad:

nooo ... please! I hope it's nothing serious ... :sad:

now this makes more sad ... :sad:

GonzoFan
01-12-2006, 03:13 AM
Angelica, thank God you are here! :hug:

could you please tell me how was Gonzo ??? is it true what I read about his shoulder ???

angelical
01-12-2006, 03:23 AM
I honestly don't know what happened... it was just... :sad: Mario was playing fantastically, I'll give him credit for that but Gonzo was just not there. Gonzo threw his racquet after being broken in his first service game. It didn't get better from there unfortunately :sad: His serve wasn't working, double faults everywhere and his forehand wasn't there either... errors galore! The ball was everywhere! He had some great shots but unfortunately they weren't enough. The first set finished in just 15 minutes!!!!! I could not believe it!!!! I wanted to cry!

The 2nd set started a bit better, I thought Gonzo might actually be able to break Mario early, he had 3 break points but unfortunately couldn't covert any of them. Mario broke Gonzo in the 5th game and it was almost over from there. There were also some bad calls made against him, he wasn't happy about them (of course) but didn't completely go off. The Chilean supporters were trying their best to cheer him on and I think he appreciated it, he kept looking up in that direction and at times smiling. He'd also look up at Horatio too... but towards the end of the 2nd match, you could tell that he knew he was over too.

I'm not too sure about the shoulder thing, but he was at times exercising his arm, I didn't think much of it at the time but now I read this, it makes sense and probably why he lost his serve.

It was an absolutely heartbreaking match!!!! :sad: (and it's double :sad: with Nico's loss too)

RogiFan88
01-12-2006, 03:33 AM
Ay! Pobre de Feña! :sad: But the important thing is his health...hope he's OK!

+alonso
01-12-2006, 03:39 AM
OMG :o Poor Fernando!

*Viva Chile*
01-12-2006, 04:51 AM
In this moment i just saw the match coz CHV is repeating it. Feña showed very unconfortable with his right shoulder... I hope he will recover before his 1st AO match :hug:

Also the croat crowd were very loud and drunked :drink:

angelical
01-12-2006, 04:58 AM
Aww, bad news... just heard that Gonzo's pulled out of the double with injury... I hope everything's ok...

Oh yes, the Croatian crowd was very "enthusiastic" wow...

Sparko1030
01-12-2006, 05:30 AM
:scared: NOOOOOOOOOOOO not a stupid injury...I was hoping it was just a bad day....hope its nothing serious....what a crappy match for poor Fena :hug: Hopefully he'll recover physically and emotionally for Oz-he has such good chances there. If he hadn't won Auckland last year getting to the quarters would have been a pretty good result. Well, before I start rambling too much-just take care of yourself Fena! ( and you too Gonzofan :hug: -this was not a good day for you at all)

Sparko1030
01-12-2006, 05:31 AM
Oh, and thanks for all the info Angelical and Viva-its so frustrating our players are having trouble and we can't tell why.

enqvistfan
01-12-2006, 07:04 AM
Thank you Angelical for the report. So, sad to read what happened today. I hope the injury is not serious, when I hear "shoulder injury", I'm a bit in panic, cause all my faves players got that problems. I hope he'll recover for Melbourne. He doesn't deserve that injury. I'll read the newspapers this evening, don't want to be more sad before going to work. Sad, that Nico lost. Well, sad day for Chilean tennis and fans of the chilean players.
If he doesn't dropp a lot in the rankings, it's good. I would have thought a serious dropp, but at the moment, the ranking doesn't really count, I really hope his shoulder will be ok for Melbourne and for the rest of the year. :hug: to Fernando

+alonso
01-12-2006, 07:21 AM
Let's hope to see Fernando in good shape for the AO

Eléa
01-12-2006, 08:48 AM
I'm sorry for Gonzo.. I hope he will be better at the AO.

angelical
01-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Not sure if you'll want to see it but there's a little snippet of Gonzo's match at the TVNZ site... www.tvnz.co.nz. Nico's is there too...

competitiva5
01-12-2006, 12:03 PM
Poor Fernando.

NicoFan
01-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Freaked out when I read about his shoulder this morning, but feel better after reading this.

From latercera.cl:

González ruled out greater injury in his shoulder.

Ratified that the inconvenience that has in the shoulder will not impede him to play in the Australian Open, the national tennis player Fernando González already left in the past the ATP of Auckland.

Gonzalez indicated in the press conference carried out after the match before the croatian Mario Ancic, that is usual to confront matches with "different pains".

"For Australia they remain four day. Me does not worry a lot because you are usual to play with different pains", indicated González to Cooperative Radio.

"Came with some inconveniences in the last few weeks, but is not swum so complicated. In the warming-up and during the match the shoulder hurt me. Obviously al not to be al 100 percent my rival one (Ancic) took advantage of that very well", added.

Such situation obliged him to be withdrawn of the picture of double (next to Nicolas Massú) because "did not be worth while to play... can enlarge the pain". Although did not it want to comment if will dispute the specialty of double in Australia. "I don't know... I am going to see how I am feeling", finalized.

In the meantime, the organization of the Australian Open ratified that the racquet number one of Chile will be ninth head of series, due to the absence of of Marat Safin and Rafael Nadal.

DhammaTiger
01-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Gonzo :sad: :sad: :sad: Hope that the injury is just minor, :confused: like he said and nothing a few days of rest won't cure so he will be back to his sparkling best at AO. :cool: :cool: Great to see him seeded 9th even if it was because of Rafa's :sad: :sad: withdrawal ( and Marat's too.) Oh Gonzo :sad:

Sparko1030
01-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Thanks for some good news today dtiger! I didn't know Fernando will be seeded #9 for AO-that's great! So sad to see Rafa and Marat out too but that can't be helped so its nice that it helps Fena.

enqvistfan
01-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Gonzo :sad: :sad: :sad: Hope that the injury is just minor, :confused: like he said and nothing a few days of rest won't cure so he will be back to his sparkling best at AO. :cool: :cool: Great to see him seeded 9th even if it was because of Rafa's :sad: :sad: withdrawal ( and Marat's too.) Oh Gonzo :sad:

Thanks for the information dtiger :)

GonzoFan
01-12-2006, 06:28 PM
In this moment i just saw the match coz CHV is repeating it. Feña showed very unconfortable with his right shoulder... I hope he will recover before his 1st AO match :hug:

yesterday night I left my recorder recording Feña's match and watched it today and you and Angelical are so right ... he looked so unconfortable there in the court, yelled a lot of times, once he yelled "I can't do it! I can't do it!"
(en chilenito fue: No puedo weon! no puedo!) He was completely out of the match, nothing was working with his game ... and his return serve ... better not talk about that ... it wasn't working at all ...

I heard an interview with him in Radio Cooperativa like at 2.00 pm - just when I was coming back home from the doctor - well, he said what NicoFan's post says, that he was feeling this pain since some days ago and just for precaution he decided to pull out of the doubles.

If I hear or read anything more I'll keep you inform ;)

YEAY! it's so great that he'll be the 9th seed! :D

btw ... who is going to create the Aussie Open thread ??
I'm not good in creating threads and I gave bad luck to Feña with this Auckland thread :lol:

Also the croat crowd were very loud and drunked :drink:

LOL! Yeah! that's true! I laughed so much! cause the chilean commentators were saying "ok, no more bear for the croats!"
all the croats were a bit drunked :lol:

NicoFan
01-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Oh, our poor Fernando...sounds like he was having a rough time out there. :sad: :hug:

Thanks for the info GonzoFan - and hey, how's your eye doing? I hope better.

GonzoFan
01-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Oh, our poor Fernando...sounds like he was having a rough time out there. :sad: :hug:

Thanks for the info GonzoFan - and hey, how's your eye doing? I hope better.

yep, he was ... :sad:

thanks for asking :) I went to the doctor today morning ... it was so hard to find an appointment in the morning for today ... but fortunaly I got one and the doctor checked my eye and it sayd it was a "weird name" infection :lol: but he gave me some medicine that I have to put every six hours and told me that the infection should be over in 2-3 days.

NicoFan
01-12-2006, 07:18 PM

thanks for asking :) I went to the doctor today morning ... it was so hard to find an appointment in the morning for today ... but fortunaly I got one and the doctor checked my eye and it sayd it was a "weird name" infection :lol: but he gave me some medicine that I have to put every six hours and told me that the infection should be over in 2-3 days.

Oh that's good news. Eye drops are a pain to put in, but they work!

Corinna
01-12-2006, 07:31 PM
:) i am glad it will be over in 2-3 days :hug: :yeah:

angelical
01-12-2006, 08:42 PM
I've just read in our paper today that Gonzo felt a pain in his shoulder when practicing Thursday morning (I saw him head for the practice courts while Nico's match was on) and then "felt it again when returning the 2nd ball of his quarter final match". Later in the article it says he dismissed the injury as "it's a pain" and "it's just part of tennis". There's an audio at the ATP site where they ask him if he hoped to be fit for next week and because it was in Spanish, all I managed to get from it was si... and something about how he hopes it'll be ok?

GonzoFan, I had the VCR running at home while I was at the tournament. I'm not sure I want to go back and watch it (again) now. But I'm glad to hear your eye should be better in a few days :)

Conita
01-12-2006, 09:03 PM
hey
:((
cant believe he lost
but at least he has the whole year ahead :)
hope his shoulder pain isnt anything serious

VAMOS GONZALEZ!!

Fergie
01-12-2006, 10:55 PM
Poor Feña, a bagel isn't fair for him :hug:

Sparko1030
01-13-2006, 01:50 AM

So good to hear your will be getting better Gonzofan :hug: Glad you were able to see a doctor today.

And I feel so bad for Fernando... it sounds like he was very frustrated with himself/his shoulder out there. Really, reaching the quarters is a good result but it doesn't seem so when he won last year and had the points to defend.

GonzoFan
01-13-2006, 04:10 AM
I was thinking that it would be so great if Fernando could come here just a second and tell us how he feels and how is he so we won't be wondering what was wrong with his shoulder or if he feels okay now, etc ...

But that's just a dream :lol:

Sparko1030
01-13-2006, 06:47 AM
I was thinking that it would be so great if Fernando could come here just a second and tell us how he feels and how is he so we won't be wondering what was wrong with his shoulder or if he feels okay now, etc ...

But that's just a dream :lol:

That would be nice....and speaking of such things I've never heard a good reason why he doesn't have an official site where things like that could be posted and fans could check on the latest info there. Fernando-if you ever read this forum-GET YOUR OWN WEBSITE!!!!! Please :)

GonzoFan
01-13-2006, 06:57 AM
That would be nice....and speaking of such things I've never heard a good reason why he doesn't have an official site where things like that could be posted and fans could check on the latest info there. Fernando-if you ever read this forum-GET YOUR OWN WEBSITE!!!!! Please :)

Yep ... I don't get it either ... he should definitely have an official website ;)
Once Jules told me that she talked with Fernando about an official website but he said that he thinks he doesn't have too much fans so that's why he doesn't have one :rolleyes:

I once saw Marat's official website and thought it was so cool that he could write to his fans and told them how he feels, what are his plans for the next tournaments and all that kind of things.

PLEASE FERNANDO GET YOUR OWN WEBSITE !!!!

we should start like a campaign

The "PLEASE FERNANDO GET YOUR OWN WEBSITE" campaign :lol: