Masters Cup rules question [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Masters Cup rules question

mecir72
12-05-2005, 08:41 PM
I have a question about the masters cup that perhaps someone can help me with.
Agassi pulled out of the masters and gonzales came in and almost qualified playing only 2 matches.
Now what would happen if a player with two wins gets injured in practice before his third match? He could of course walk on court an retire after one game and then hope that is enough to take him to the semis and that he'll recover in time. However there will be no walkover if he decides he cant play will there? Then an alternate comes in and the other player is out right?
Now the main question is, can the alternate qualify?
If he wins the remaining match he would have a better record than other one win players in the group. Does it work like that?

El Legenda
12-05-2005, 08:50 PM
So ur say is

Player A: 2-0 and pulls out
Player B: 2-1
Player C: 1-2
Player D: 0-3

Altenate comes in- 1-0

so player B goes to SF and then its between player C and Alt, then the player with most sets won goes.

mecir72
12-05-2005, 09:50 PM
But it is the percentage of sets won that counts I think. That would mean the alternate goes through.

mecir72
12-05-2005, 10:22 PM
So ur say is

Player B: 2-1

Altenate comes in- 1-0

so player B goes to SF and then its between player C and Alt, then the player with most sets won goes.
Actually what I mean is:
Player B: 2-0
Player A and B to meet in final match, instead alternate comes in and beats player B.
That gives the alternate a better percentage of sets won and no head to head with player C.
But what about the case if player A plays and retired during the match against player B. Can he still play the semis?

El Legenda
12-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Player E would have no chance vs play B in the last match. :rolls: that help?

are you sure its the tiebreaker is % of sets and or the total sets won, of the total difference between sets won and lost

player B= 5w-2l= +3
player E= 2w-1= +1

mecir72
12-05-2005, 10:43 PM
Hehe you never know, look at nalbandian!

This is from the Masters Cup in Houston. I doubt things have changed since then.

-----------

Qualification: The top seven finishers in the INDESIT ATP 2004 Race will qualify. The eighth place will go to the highest-placed Grand Slam winner who finishes outside the top seven but within the top 20. If no player fits this classification, the eighth place will go to the player finishing eighth in the INDESIT ATP 2004 Race.

Format: Round robin format with 8 players divided into two groups of 4 players each, with 8 seeds to be determined by the INDESIT ATP Race standings on the Monday after the last ATP tournament of the calendar year. All matches shall be the best of three tie-break sets, except for the final, which shall be the best of five tie-break sets.

Order of Play:
The top seeded player will be placed in the Red Group and the second seeded player will be placed in the BlueGroup. Players seeded 3 and 4, 5 and 6, 7 and 8, will then be drawn in pairs with the first drawn placed in the Red Group. Each player plays the three other players in his Group. The winner of each Group (best overall record) will be placed in separate semi-final brackets, with the top player in the Red Group playing the Runner-Up in the Blue Group, and vice versa. If two or more players are tied after the round robin matches, the ties will be broken as follows:1. Winner of match between the two players tied; 2. Player with the highest percentage of sets won; 3. Player with the highest percentage of games won.

Trophy: Presented by Waterford Crystal

Prize Money: US$ 3,700,000
Kids Fund: US$50,000

Total Player Purse: US$ 3,650,000
Alternate: US$ 50,000
Participation Fee: US$ 90,000*
Round Robin Win: US$ 120,000
Semifinal Win: US$ 370,000
Final Win: US$ 700,000
Undefeated Winner: US$ 1,520,000
*Pro-rated on
per match basis: US$45,000=1 match; US$70,000=2 matches; US$ 90,000=3 matches

INDESIT ATP Race Points:

RR Win: 20 points
Semifinal Win: 40 points
Final Win: 50 points
Undef. Winner: 150 points

Baseline
12-06-2005, 04:18 AM
From the ATP rulebook on MC elimination rules - it seems kind of cumbersome, so I didn't bother to read it all, but I think it may answer your question (in D(3)c subsection e.g. ?)

http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/en/players/ATP_Rulebook.pdf

III. WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
3.01 TENNIS MASTERS CUP

B(4)(c) The Alternate(s) is eligible to play in the Single Elimination competition and to receive points and prize money if he qualifies.

D. Order of Play - Round Robin

3) The final standings of each group shall be determined by the first of the following methods that apply:

a) Greatest number of wins;
b) Greatest number of matches played;
c) Head-to-head results if only two (2) players are tied,

or if three (3) players are tied,then:

i) If three (3) players each have one win, a player having played less than all three (3) matches is automatically eliminated and the player advancing to the Single Elimination competition is the winner of the match-up of the two (2) players tied with 1-2 records; or

ii) Highest percentage of sets won; or

iii) Highest percentage of games won.

iv) If (i), (ii) or (iii) produce one superior player (first place), or one inferior player (third place), and the two remaining players are tied, the tie between those two players shall be broken by head-to-head record.

4) If ties still exist after the above procedures, the Steering Committee shall make the final determination.

5) In applying the tie-breaking procedures, a conduct default or retirement shall count as a straight-set win or loss. However, games won or lost in matches with the defaulting or retiring player shall not be counted in the application of subsection 3.c. (iii) above. A player who retires during the Round Robin because of illness or injury may continue in the competition if it is approved by the Tournament Doctor.
E. Single Elimination Competition

1) The winner of each group shall be placed in separate semifinal brackets. The runnerup of each group shall be placed in the semifinal bracket with the winner of the opposite group.

I thought this part was interesting - no wonder they all show at the media conference! Curious if anyone has ever been fined this 5%?

"2) All Direct Acceptances and the Alternate must appear at the site of the event(s) as determined by the ATP and participate in the pre-tournament media conference. Failure to appear shall result in a penalty of five percent (5%) of total ATP prize money earned during the ATP circuit year.

its.like.that
12-06-2005, 04:33 AM
lol

mecir72
12-06-2005, 08:55 AM
Great! That solves everything. Thanks.