Who has the most to prove at Australian Open? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who has the most to prove at Australian Open?

prima donna
12-05-2005, 05:59 AM
Now that Davis Cup is over, it's time to start looking forward to the Australian Open that is only a little over a month from now. So, which players have the most to prove and need to be successful at the Australian Open for the rest of their season to be a success ?

There are certain characters which perform better when they get a bit of a running start. I'll start with my list.

#1 Marat Safin - Has the most to prove.
A). Prove that he's 100% healthy and ready to compete at a world class level again.
B). Prove that his win over Roger last year, was not a fluke.
C). Aside from proving things, I just think if he goes out in the early rounds that Marat will just kind of wither away into thin air without putting up much of a fight.

Point is, if he cannot play his best tennis in Australia then when exactly will he ?

#2 Roger Federer
1). To prove that he can rebound from his heart and record breaking defeat to Nalbandian.
2). To prove that he can avenge last year's defeat to Marat (of course Marat would have to get that far), so let's not get in over our heads.

Also, I think that winning in Australia would settle Roger down. Last year, up until Wimbledon there was a sense he was CHASING titles, instead of simply playing well and allowing them to come to him.

#3 Rafael Nadal
1). To prove that he is a contender for a slam off clay, against a full field.

#4 Andy Roddick
- Prove that he can rebound from his disappointing 2005 summer, really with no excuses or injuries, just played awful tennis for a Top 5 player.

#5 David Nalbandian
Well, now he's beaten Roger, so let's see him do it at a slam (when the pressure is on) and I don't mean during some Round of 32 or 16 match, I am talking SF's, everything on the line and at stake. Let's validate TMC success.

There are a host of other players, but that's my Top 5 for now.

El Legenda
12-05-2005, 06:09 AM
Safin and maybe Nadal.

iliketennis
12-05-2005, 06:13 AM
Ferrero
#1. Has to prove that he has overcome those mental issues.
#2. That he is once again a major contendor on every surface.
#3. He is not a one slam wonder and will continue to perform well at every slam.

World Beater
12-05-2005, 06:18 AM
nadal and nalbandian, and ljubicic

Safin has won AO before. everyone knows he is talented etc, that he can win when he has his head on straight.

federer is a great champion. there are little doubts about his greatness.

Nadal must prove in a slam that he is a true al surface player, at least on hard.

Nalbandian needs to prove he can win one, not just reach the latter stage.

While ljubo needs to prove he can reach the latter stage.

Federerthebest
12-05-2005, 06:24 AM
Ljubicic, he needs to start performing reasonably well in the slams in order to confirm himself as a top-10 player

nobama
12-05-2005, 12:02 PM
I wouldn't put the last two winners of AO up there on the top. Safin had a crap '05 but he was injured for a lot of it too. And at AO he proved that when he's fit and has his head on straight he's very tough to beat. Fed had one of the best years ever - going 81-4 with 11 titles including 2 GS. Losing that heartbreaker to Safin in the SF didn't affect him in a negative way, so there's no reason to believe the loss to Nalby will either.

jenanun
12-05-2005, 01:37 PM
federer has nothing to prove.. he is great.. everyone knows it.
people sort of expected him to win anyway, as usual.

on the other hand, nadal has much to prove.. he didnt do well in slams last year apart from RG, so AO means a lot to him... be able to get into SF i guess is his target.

and hewitt, he has great slams records last year, though not alot of people notice that, winning AO means everything to him... to prove he can still able to win a slam, and more importantly, in front of his home country

ClaycourtaZzZz.
12-05-2005, 02:06 PM
Ljubicic of course!
And he'll get kicked his arse by another dopper, hopfully in the first round.:tape::haha::haha:

alfonsojose
12-05-2005, 02:29 PM
Ginepri and Blake.

prima donna
12-05-2005, 02:30 PM
I wouldn't put the last two winners of AO up there on the top. Safin had a crap '05 but he was injured for a lot of it too. And at AO he proved that when he's fit and has his head on straight he's very tough to beat. Fed had one of the best years ever - going 81-4 with 11 titles including 2 GS. Losing that heartbreaker to Safin in the SF didn't affect him in a negative way, so there's no reason to believe the loss to Nalby will either.
One of the advantages that players like Nalbandian and Nadal have had, is operating under the radar and having no media, country or pressure in general from the sport on them to win.

This isn't a luxury that either Roger or Safin are able to enjoy, both put immense pressure on themselves to win, even if they are able to hide it and remain non-chalant at times.

I think that's what will make 2006 so interesting, Nadal has all of the pressure of being #2 tennis player in the world on his shoulders and now he's expected to defend Roland Garros, by the common fan he is atleast and the media in Spain is absolutely draining this kid.

In conclusion, yes, Roger & Safin are the final 2 Australian Open Champions, but there is a story within a story here.

Roger is expected to keep winning Slams and Safin is expected to show that he can compete. The MTF pressure is almost even too much for me to take! If I see one more avatar with Marat's face followed by a random caption, that is it. I may just throw on a wig and 3 inch reebok platforms to impersonate him on a tennis court just so that his fans will shush.

Just my take.

LaTenista
12-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Nadal and Nalbandian. The former has never been past the 1st week of a slam except RG (a bit dubious for a World No 2) and the latter is very consistent in the slams but needs to break through (maybe this TMC title will help).

prima donna
12-05-2005, 02:37 PM
Nadal and Nalbandian. The former has never been past the 1st week of a slam except RG (a bit dubious for a World No 2)
:yeah:

Deea
12-05-2005, 02:40 PM
Tomas Berdych should prove his talent, if you ask me! :cool;

Galaxystorm
12-05-2005, 02:44 PM
I would say that mainly Nalbandian and Ljubicic.

* Nalbandian , because after his success in Shanghai his fanatics think he will make a positive mental jump and now will able to show all this potential with regularity , winning Grand Slams ....... Personally , i'm very skeptical about his mental improvement until he shows otherwise and in the short term ( Aus open ) and i don't see him changing his usual irregularity .

* Ljubicic, this year has made a great improvement at indoors showing to be the best player this season at this surface and now he has to show at outdoors that he can be a top player fighting to reach outdoors grand slams finals . Although his physical condition in Australia maybe won't be the best after a very long season like the current.

* And about Nadal , i think the main thing he has to prove is that is able to make a logical schedule , something that seems to be very difficult since the next year will play Sydney before Aus open , and if he arrived to Melbourne with 2 finals played ( Chennai and Sydney ) knowing his exhausting playstyle , i don't see him winning Aus open if he had to play more than a match reaching the 5th set.

*Ljubica*
12-05-2005, 02:49 PM
I would agree with Nalbandian and Ljubicic for the reasons Galaxystorm mentioned. I would also add Hewitt - as jenanun says - although he has already won 2 Grand Slams and been World Number 1 - this is the Australian Open and he is very patriotic and no doubt wants to prove himself in his own country by winning his own Grand Slam - that will bring all it's own pressures onto him.

prima donna
12-05-2005, 02:51 PM
Tomas Berdych should prove his talent, if you ask me! :cool:
Good one, I agree. Berdych is amongst a host of numerous players that have a lot to prove, but even if he doesn't show results right away there won't be much of a reaction. Let's be honest, Berdych has a gun slinger mentality right now because he is going head hunting.

Just wait until he starts to become the hunted, one of the reason(s) I admire Roger in such a way, though the entire tour has been after his head for 2 years now, it still seems as if they are the prey and he is the predator.

I don't know of the exact quote, but I remember Andy Roddick saying something to the liking of, "The scary part is he's getting better", players that are able to adjust their style and conform to the reality of things always have the most success.

Berdych is a bit of a headcase, so I'd like to see him faced with this proposition.

MariaV
12-05-2005, 02:53 PM
The MTF pressure is almost even too much for me to take! If I see one more avatar with Marat's face followed by a random caption, that is it. I may just throw on a wig and 3 inch reebok platforms to impersonate him on a tennis court just so that his fans will shush.

Just my take.

I have to reply to this, don't I? I'm a Marat fan but I'll stick to the wonderful Rafa smile until Marat has proven something on tennis court again so you needn't worry from my part quite yet. :wavey: But Marat avatars will be back. ;)
I'd like to see the impersonation though but please in adidas. :D :banana: :yippee: Top entertainment from Prima Donna as always! :yeah:

prima donna
12-05-2005, 02:56 PM
I would agree with Nalbandian and Ljubicic for the reasons Galaxystorm mentioned. I would also add Hewitt - as jenanun says - although he has already won 2 Grand Slams and been World Number 1 - this is the Australian Open and he is very patriotic and no doubt wants to prove himself in his own country by winning his own Grand Slam - that will bring all it's own pressures onto him.
Hewitt is operating under closed quarters, he's just had a child (which I suspect will change his outlook on life) and I'm sure he's come to the realization that there is much more to life than tennis.

Secondly, I think that even Australians do not expect for Hewitt to win. Of course he is their favorite, but surely there is a dose of reality floating around down under.

Roger and Safin have set the bar so high, that they are expected to win. They are expected to triumph and we all know what the public reaction will be when (one of the has to lose) finally does. Sadly, they will most likely be on the same side of the draw; so it won't be a final.

I guess that what I'm saying is more to the extent that they have much more pressure. They are expected to almost robotically pounce their opposition.

*Ljubica*
12-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Hewitt is operating under closed quarters, he's just had a child (which I suspect will change his outlook on life) and I'm sure he's come to the realization that there is much more to life than tennis.

Secondly, I think that even Australians do not expect for Hewitt to win. Of course he is their favorite, but surely there is a dose of reality floating around down under.

Roger and Safin have set the bar so high, that they are expected to win. They are expected to triumph and we all know what the public reaction will be when (one of the has to lose) finally does. Sadly, they will most likely be on the same side of the draw; so it won't be a final.

I guess that what I'm saying is more to the extent that they have much more pressure. They are expected to almost robotically pounce their opposition.

Loads of Brits still expect Henman to win Wimbledon :eek: - so I'm sure a lot of Aussies think Lleyton can win their Grand Slam. He certanly has a lot more chance than poor Tim! And I agree the new baby should change his outlook on things - but - who knows - it might even make him MORE focussed on winning because he has a child of his own to win it for!

lau
12-05-2005, 03:06 PM
A). Prove that he's 100% healthy and ready to compete at a world class level again.
C). Aside from proving things, I just think if he goes out in the early rounds that Marat will just kind of wither away into thin air without putting up much of a fight.

No need to prove it, it was not :angel: ;)

Point is, if he cannot play his best tennis in Australia then when exactly will he ?

Indor season :shrug: , for example (but I would love to see him doing it in RG)

All this IF he plays AO... :unsure: :scared:

MariaV
12-05-2005, 03:11 PM
All this IF he plays AO... :unsure: :scared:

Exactly what I wanted to say Lau, with Marat you NEVER know what might happen yet.

lau
12-05-2005, 03:12 PM
Exactly what I wanted to say Lau, with Marat you NEVER know what might happen yet.
And that´s one of the reasons why I like the guy :lol:

shotgun
12-05-2005, 03:27 PM

:lol:

A) Do you really expect him to be 100% healthy at Melbourne?
B) What??? Are you serious??

Indoor season? US Open? (also consider the fact that he will probably be in much better physical conditions by then).

croat123
12-05-2005, 03:31 PM
Ljubo of course
Roddick has to show that he deserves to be a top seed
Safin has to show up at least :p
Nadal has to make it deep in a slam that's not on clay
Agassi has to prove he's not too old
Gaudio has to prove he's not a tanker :o

Deea
12-05-2005, 03:35 PM
:lol:

Indoor season? US Open? (also consider the fact that he will probably be in much better physical conditions by then).

Totally agree with you! Marat has nothing to prove. Everybody knows that he is a huge talent and capable of everything! :worship:

Hola Mr. SK
12-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Hell, if its not Hewitt, whom they expect for? And a dose of reality??
Loads of Brits still expect Henman to win Wimbledon :eek: - so I'm sure a lot of Aussies think Lleyton can win their Grand Slam. He certanly has a lot more chance than poor Tim! And I agree the new baby should change his outlook on things - but - who knows - it might even make him MORE focussed on winning because he has a child of his own to win it for!
Well said. Hewitt has to prove that papa Lleyton can still win a GS title!
BTW, never give up on Henman.I believe hes still competitive if hes 100% healthy.Best of luck to him in 2006!

Jimnik
12-05-2005, 04:23 PM
JC Ferrero has to prove he can still be the player he use to be.
Marat has to prove he can be healthy.
Davydenki has to prove that last year wasn't a fluke.
Roddick and Hewitt will each have to prove they can compete with the top 2.

Agassi, Federer and Nadal have nothing to prove.

shotgun
12-05-2005, 04:37 PM
Nadal and Nalbandian. The former has never been past the 1st week of a slam except RG (a bit dubious for a World No 2) and the latter is very consistent in the slams but needs to break through (maybe this TMC title will help).

The term "2nd week of a Grand Slam" is commonly referred to Round of 16 or further, so technically Nadal has already been past the 1st week of a Slam except RG (Aus. Open 2005).

jacobhiggins
12-05-2005, 05:18 PM
Federer has nothing to prove, he's expected to win it, if he's on during the tournament everyone knows it's his title. I think Nadal, Roddick, and Safin have a lot to prove! Safin won it last year but other then that he did nothing!

tangerine_dream
12-05-2005, 05:48 PM
Ljubo of course
Ljubadick has much to prove, both as a player and a human being. :angel:

Roddick has to show that he deserves to be a top seed
He's been a top seed for three years now and generally performs well at three of the slams, unlike your Croatian hero. :p

Nadal has to make it deep in a slam that's not on clay
Nadal beat Agassi on hardcourt for the Canada title and almost beat Federer in Miami. I love how these little facts slips everyone's mind when they talk about Nadal being nothing but a dirtballer.

Agassi has to prove he's not too old
Agassi has nothing to prove to anyone. Lest of all you.

prima donna
12-05-2005, 06:21 PM
Hell, if its not Hewitt, whom they expect for? And a dose of reality??

Oh, I don't know. There's this guy named Roger Federer that happens to have an awful lot of talent and the last time I checked, Australians knew their tennis ... supporting a player is a completely separate issue from making them the favorite to win the tournament.

Then again, you're right.

Roger Federer steps onto court in Australia against Hewitt as a big underdog, there is no way that the crowd expects for him to steal even a set from their hero. :rolleyes:

prima donna
12-05-2005, 06:28 PM
:rolleyes: :lol:

Safin hasn't played his best tennis in the latter part of the season in quite sometime, so why would he start now ? Seems like the routine as of late has been show up to the Australian Open and well, disappear for the rest of the year.

Safin is a great talent, but such an unstable and inconsistent player (basically unpredictable) cannot be judged by the same standards as oh, say a player like Hewitt.

Hewitt might lose in Australia but will show up to Wimbledon and U.S Open as a legitimate contender, actually last time I checked, he's a Finalist, SF and SF.

When is the last time that Marat competed for more than 1 Slam a year ? Rhetorical questioning is fine, but don't act as if I'm saying something so far off the wall by implying that a player with a 2-7 record against a certain #1 could have been a fluke or that a guy that's tougher to predict than the weather is going to compete in Australia, then NYC and then Indoors.

Roger was not 100% healthy last year and Marat is 2-7 against Roger, so yes, I am completely serious.

Federer vs Safin
7-2

2005 Halle, Grass, F
Germany Grass F Federer 6 4 6 7 6 4
2005 Australian Open, Hard, S
Australia Hard S Safin 7 5 4 6 7 5 6 7 7 9
2004 Tennis Masters Cup, Hard, S
Houston, TX, USA Hard S Federer 6 3 7 6
2004 Dubai, Hard, R32
U.A.E. Hard R32 Federer 7 6 7 6
2004 Australian Open, Hard, F
Australia Hard F Federer 7 6 6 4 6 2
2002 Moscow, Carpet, Q
Russia Carpet Q Safin 5 7 4 6
2002 Hamburg TMS, Clay, F
Germany Clay F Federer 6 1 6 3 6 4
2002 RUS v SUI WG Rd 1, Clay, RR
Moscow, Russia Clay RR Federer 7 5 6 1 6 2
2001 Rome TMS, Clay, R32
Italy Clay R32 Federer 4 6 6 4 7 6

AgassiDomination
12-05-2005, 06:31 PM
Ljubadick has much to prove, both as a player and a human being. :angel:

He's been a top seed for three years now and generally performs well at three of the slams, unlike your Croatian hero. :p

Nadal beat Agassi on hardcourt for the Canada title and almost beat Federer in Miami. I love how these little facts slips everyone's mind when they talk about Nadal being nothing but a dirtballer.

I'm in awe :bowdown:

prima donna
12-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Federer has nothing to prove, he's expected to win it, if he's on during the tournament everyone knows it's his title. I think Nadal, Roddick, and Safin have a lot to prove! Safin won it last year but other then that he did nothing!
Roger has plenty to prove, he has to prove that he can continue winning, especially with all of the MTF-proclaimed "Roger Killas", like Nadal being present. It's funny, he loses a match and people start to talk all types of non-sense.

Yet, when it's time to discuss a tournament, he is all of a sudden invincible, a favorite and has nothing to prove. If he loses, it will not be okay. It will be the end of the world as we know it and Roger Federer will be an overhyped youngster that will never fill Pete Sampras' shoes.

MTF world not considered, the pressure and expectations are higher for a guy that keeps winning than someone who has never won anything. I'm suprised that so few people are capable of comprehending this.

prima donna
12-05-2005, 06:34 PM
I agree with tangerine for once.

Andre Agassi is the only player with nothing to prove, the man is a legend and has a career Grand Slam.

Agassi's legend is already set, unlike other players.

Xytraguptorh
12-05-2005, 07:10 PM
With the way so many people around here have proclaimed the end of Federer's dominance, I'm surprised anyone is arguing for a player other than him :rolleyes:

jacobhiggins
12-05-2005, 07:13 PM
Me too lol, Federer is going to reign for quite some time!

prima donna
12-05-2005, 07:14 PM
With the way so many people around here have proclaimed the end of Federer's dominance, I'm surprised anyone is arguing for a player other than him :rolleyes:
Exactly my point.

Roger doesn't have to prove anything to tennis critics with a clue, his fans or the other players on tour.

It is the media, average tennis fan and self-proclaimed MTF tennis experts that he has to prove himself to :rolleyes:

In other words, "live up to the hype", the hype is for Sampras right now and 6 slams is hardly that. Keep in mind, I don't subscribe to this way of thinking. I'm only spewing what the general public seems to expect of him, thus he has a lot to prove.

shotgun
12-05-2005, 07:44 PM
Safin hasn't played his best tennis in the latter part of the season in quite sometime, so why would he start now ? Seems like the routine as of late has been show up to the Australian Open and well, disappear for the rest of the year.

Winning back-to-back Masters Series shields doesn't equal disappearing, at least in my perception.

When is the last time that Marat competed for more than 1 Slam a year ? Rhetorical questioning is fine, but don't act as if I'm saying something so far off the wall by implying that a player with a 2-7 record against a certain #1 could have been a fluke or that a guy that's tougher to predict than the weather is going to compete in Australia, then NYC and then Indoors. Roger was not 100% healthy last year and Marat is 2-7 against Roger, so yes, I am completely serious.

Did you actually watch the match, the Australian Open SF this year? Safin outplayed him, although you may not admit it, stating that he wasn't 100% healthy, because you're his fan and hence clearly biased. Everytime he loses, someone says that he wasn't 100% healthy. It's a repeat and it's getting old.

As for the records, I've never denied that Federer is a better player than Safin. But every match has its own story, and in this one, Safin proved that he could outplay him, unlike Hewitt. Consistency is a completely different issue.

Fumus
12-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Roddick has the most prove.

prima donna
12-05-2005, 08:16 PM
Winning back-to-back Masters Series shields doesn't equal disappearing, at least in my perception.

How many years ago did this happen ? Based on this ideology, Rod Laver could string his wooden racket and win another career Grand Slam.

As of late, even taking his 2004 year into account, Marat has been the poster boy for inconsistency, it's not even an issue that one could dispute, considering his fans make light of it in signatures, avatars and daily posts.

Did you actually watch the match, the Australian Open SF this year? Safin outplayed him, although you may not admit it, stating that he wasn't 100% healthy, because you're his fan and hence clearly biased. Everytime he loses, someone says that he wasn't 100% healthy. It's a repeat and it's getting old.

As for the records, I've never denied that Federer is a better player than Safin. But every match has its own story, and in this one, Safin proved that he could outplay him, unlike Hewitt. Consistency is a completely different issue.
Yeah, well, I'm a fan of tennis before I am Roger. Marat beat him fair and square, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Roger had a match point and was worked on throughout the match.

I'm making no excuses, simply stating that just because you beat a player once, especially on a less than perfect day, does not prove that you can consistently compete at their level.

Until Marat betters his 2-7 record against Roger, then the argument that it was a fluke is totally plausible.

It's interesting, in a few interviews when asked who his rivals are that Roger doesn't even mention Safin. This is a rivalry alright, right up there with those classic Roddick matches. :rolleyes:

World Beater
12-05-2005, 08:20 PM
:rolleyes:

Safin is a great talent, but such an unstable and inconsistent player (basically unpredictable) cannot be judged by the same standards as oh, say a player like Hewitt.

Hewitt might lose in Australia but will show up to Wimbledon and U.S Open as a legitimate contender, actually last time I checked, he's a Finalist, SF and SF.

When is the last time that Marat competed for more than 1 Slam a year ? Rhetorical questioning is fine, but don't act as if I'm saying something so far off the wall by implying that a player with a 2-7 record against a certain #1 could have been a fluke or that a guy that's tougher to predict than the weather is going to compete in Australia, then NYC and then Indoors.

Roger was not 100% healthy last year and Marat is 2-7 against Roger, so yes, I am completely serious.

Federer vs Safin
7-2

2005 Halle, Grass, F
Germany Grass F Federer 6 4 6 7 6 4
2005 Australian Open, Hard, S
Australia Hard S Safin 7 5 4 6 7 5 6 7 7 9
2004 Tennis Masters Cup, Hard, S
Houston, TX, USA Hard S Federer 6 3 7 6
2004 Dubai, Hard, R32
U.A.E. Hard R32 Federer 7 6 7 6
2004 Australian Open, Hard, F
Australia Hard F Federer 7 6 6 4 6 2
2002 Moscow, Carpet, Q
Russia Carpet Q Safin 5 7 4 6
2002 Hamburg TMS, Clay, F
Germany Clay F Federer 6 1 6 3 6 4
2002 RUS v SUI WG Rd 1, Clay, RR
Moscow, Russia Clay RR Federer 7 5 6 1 6 2
2001 Rome TMS, Clay, R32
Italy Clay R32 Federer 4 6 6 4 7 6

my fav match was fed-safin hamburg...fed absolutely thrashed marat on clay..it was quite a performance

shotgun
12-05-2005, 08:37 PM
How many years ago did this happen ? Based on this ideology, Rod Laver could string his wooden racket and win another career Grand Slam.

As of late, even taking his 2004 year into account, Marat has been the poster boy for inconsistency, it's not even an issue that one could dispute, considering his fans make light of it in signatures, avatars and daily posts.

:confused:

Madrid AMS, Spain
Tennis Masters Series, 18-Oct-04, I, Hard , Draw: 48

R64 Bye, () N/A
R32 Lopez, Feliciano (ESP ) 22 7-5 6-7(5) 6-3
R16 Koubek, Stefan (AUT ) 76 6-3 6-3
Q Horna, Luis (PER ) 43 6-4 6-4
S Agassi, Andre (USA ) 9 6-3 7-6(4)
W Nalbandian, David (ARG ) 10 6-2 6-4 6-3

Paris AMS, France
Tennis Masters Series, 1-Nov-04, I, Carpet , Draw: 48

R64 Bye, () N/A
R32 Ljubicic, Ivan (CRO ) 22 6-7(1) 6-3 7-5
R16 Melzer, Jurgen (AUT ) 42 6-2 7-5
Q Hewitt, Lleyton (AUS ) 3 6-4 7-6(2)
S Canas, Guillermo (ARG ) 15 6-2 7-6(5)
W Stepanek, Radek (CZE ) 66 6-3 7-6(5) 6-3

Yeah, well, I'm a fan of tennis before I am Roger. Marat beat him fair and square, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Roger had a match point and was worked on throughout the match.

I'm making no excuses, simply stating that just because you beat a player once, especially on a less than perfect day, does not prove that you can consistently compete at their level.

Until Marat betters his 2-7 record against Roger, then the argument that it was a fluke is totally plausible.

It's interesting, in a few interviews when asked who his rivals are that Roger doesn't even mention Safin. This is a rivalry alright, right up there with those classic Roddick matches. :rolleyes:

I'm not talking about consistency. We all know Safin is not a consistent player. But, anyway, go on thinking it was a fluke, as most people said that Berdych's win against him was so (I've heard the health excuse on this one too :lol: ). For me, if a player shows once that he can compete with Federer at his level, he doesn't have to show me twice. And I don't buy the injury bullshit - before that match, Federer had played only 14 sets at Melbourne (only one went to a TB). Safin had played 17, with 3 going to a TB. So if Federer was "unhealthy", it was none but his fault for not doing a good pre-season. :shrug: And please, don't compare Safin to Roddick. Potential is an issue, consistency is another issue. Both have advantages, as well as disadvantages.

jacobhiggins
12-05-2005, 08:38 PM
Federer should have won the Safin match, but Safin played great and Federer missed his oppurtunity and his blisters did hamper him a little bit. At there best Federer would beat Safin, that's why Federer has 6 slams and is dominating the sport!

DrJules
12-05-2005, 08:48 PM
Nadal. He is the world number 2, but in his last two grand slams he has had early exits; Wimbledon 2nd round and US Open 3rd. He needs to do something in Australia to justify his ranking. Apart from the French Open win he has not gone past the 4th round of a grand slam. In his year of 11 tournament wins his grand slam performances have been poor. However, he is still very young and has plenty of time to improve.

Ivan Ljubicic. Has never gone past the 3rd round of a grand slam despite being in top 10.

Gaston Gaudio. He is in the top 10 for 2nd year in a row. However, away from Roland Garros he has never gone beyong the 3rd round of a grand slam.

Roddick bashing may be a hobby on many on this site, but has achieved the following:

AO (Rebound Ace) 2 semis & quarter final
FO (clay) awful - 3rd
Wim (Grass) 2 finals
US Open (Decoturf) 1 winner

Roddick has proved himself on 3 surfaces (Rebound Ace, Grass and Decoturf) and failed on 1 surface (Clay).

Nadal and Gaudio have proved themselves on 1 surface (Clay) and failed on 3 surfaces (Rebound Ace, Grass and Decoturf).

Roddick is also much better than Nadal and Gaudio on carpet.

Detailed analysis shows that Roddick may be awful on clay, but he is a multi-surface player. I have no evidence for Nadal and Gaudio being multi surface at the highest level (grand slams).

lau
12-05-2005, 08:56 PM
I'm not talking about consistency. We all know Safin is not a consistent player. But, anyway, go on thinking it was a fluke, as most people said that Berdych's win against him was so (I've heard the health excuse on this one too :lol: ). For me, if a player shows once that he can compete with Federer at his level, he doesn't have to show me twice. And I don't buy the injury bullshit - before that match, Federer had played only 14 sets at Melbourne (only one went to a TB). Safin had played 17, with 3 going to a TB. So if Federer was "unhealthy", it was none but his fault for not doing a good pre-season. :shrug: And please, don't compare Safin to Roddick. Potential is an issue, consistency is another issue. Both have advantages, as well as disadvantages.
:smooch: You know you`re my favourite Brazilian here, don´t you? ;) (after Guga, of course :angel: )

EDIT: And after Reynaldo too... of course... :p

jenanun
12-05-2005, 08:59 PM

i dont think expect is the right word.... brits are waiting for a miracle to happen (tim to win wimbledon.... )!

anyway, people are now focusing on murray as he has the best wimbledon results last year... go murray! hope he can win wimbledon one day!

and hewitt, i remember he was asked (after he got into SF of cincinnati.. i think) if US open or the year end master series is his goal for this year. and he said no without even thinking, but his biggest aim is to win AO in 2006.....
i dont think the new baby change his determination to win AO, but i do agree he is going to play less

DrJules
12-05-2005, 09:07 PM
i dont think expect is the right word.... brits are waiting for a miracle to happen (tim to win wimbledon.... )!

anyway, people are now focusing on murray as he has the best wimbledon results last year... go murray! hope he can win wimbledon one day!

and hewitt, i remember he was asked (after he got into SF of cincinnati.. i think) if US open or the year end master series is his goal for this year. and he said no without even thinking, but his biggest aim is to win AO in 2006.....
i dont think the new baby change his determination to win AO, but i do agree he is going to play less

Murray has more of a winner mentality than Tim Henman. Murray reminds me far more of Lleyton Hewitt; highly competitive, in your face and I am going to win. British sport has suffered too much from good losers who tend to lose; maybe why Australians normally win at sport against Britain.

*Ljubica*
12-05-2005, 09:11 PM
Murray has more of a winner mentality than Tim Henman. Murray reminds me far more of Lleyton Hewitt; highly competitive, in your face and I am going to win. British sport has suffered too much from good losers who tend to lose; maybe why Australians normally win at sport against Britain.

I still want Tim to win - well - a girl can dream can't she? Murray's far too "in your face" for my personal taste.

gooner88
12-05-2005, 09:15 PM

Who won the Rugby World Cup and the Ashes? ;)
You don't have to be an 'in your face' type of player with all the fist pumps and the 'come on' shouts to be a winner.
Murray naturally shows his emotions alot more compared to Henman, but that doesn't necessarily mean he has a greater winning mentality. I'm sure Henman has the drive to win just as much as Murray.

MariaV
12-05-2005, 09:16 PM
To the lovely Prima Donna and Shotgun Blues debate over Marat-Fed AO semi, Marat himself admitted in his interviews to the Russian newspapers that he got lucky in this match. ;) :wavey:

DrJules
12-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Who won the Rugby World Cup and the Ashes? ;)

A very pleasant change to see England on the winning side and Australia losing. Have not seen it enough in my lifetime.

lau
12-05-2005, 09:25 PM
To the lovely Prima Donna and Shotgun Blues debate over Marat-Fed AO semi, Marat himself admitted in his interviews to the Russian newspapers that he got lucky in this match. ;) :wavey:
Acording to Marat, he´s lucky when he wins and his rivals are lucky when they beat him :p ;)

MariaV
12-05-2005, 09:27 PM
Acording to Marat, he´s lucky when he wins and his rivals are lucky when they beat him :p ;)
Exactly Lau, it's all about luck. ;) :D

lau
12-05-2005, 09:29 PM
Of course, Rog spoke of luck, too when he had to talk about that match :lol:

DrJules
12-05-2005, 09:32 PM
Apart from his physical fitness I am not sure what Marat has to prove. He has already won the Aus Open. Also he has won 1 US Open, 5 master series titles and been in a winning Davis Cup team.

His problem is the knee injury and the limitation which it imposes on his training. He cannot do much about his knee and has to rely on medical advice for its treatment.

shotgun
12-05-2005, 09:43 PM
:smooch: You know you`re my favourite Brazilian here, don´t you? ;) (after Guga, of course :angel: )

EDIT: And after Reynaldo too... of course... :p

:awww: :hug:

shotgun
12-05-2005, 09:44 PM

He's too hard on himself. :lol:

DDrago2
12-05-2005, 09:52 PM
Now that Davis Cup is over, it's time to start looking forward to the Australian Open that is only a little over a month from now. So, which players have the most to prove and need to be successful at the Australian Open for the rest of their season to be a success ?

There are certain characters which perform better when they get a bit of a running start. I'll start with my list.

#2 Roger Federer
1). To prove that he can rebound from his heart and record breaking defeat to Nalbandian.
2). To prove that he can avenge last year's defeat to Marat (of course Marat would have to get that far), so let's not get in over our heads.

Also, I think that winning in Australia would settle Roger down. Last year, up until Wimbledon there was a sense he was CHASING titles, instead of simply playing well and allowing them to come to him.

#3 Rafael Nadal
1). To prove that he is a contender for a slam off clay, against a full field.

#4 Andy Roddick
- Prove that he can rebound from his disappointing 2005 summer, really with no excuses or injuries, just played awful tennis for a Top 5 player.

#5 David Nalbandian
Well, now he's beaten Roger, so let's see him do it at a slam (when the pressure is on) and I don't mean during some Round of 32 or 16 match, I am talking SF's, everything on the line and at stake. Let's validate TMC success.

There are a host of other players, but that's my Top 5 for now.

I generaly agree, but as for Nalbandian: he heaven't realy beaten Federer but Federer was injured - I think Nalbandian wouldn't have real chance against heathy Federer.
And what Nalbandian has to proove is that he can finaly win a slam!

Jimnik
12-05-2005, 10:05 PM
Nadal. He is the world number 2, but in his last two grand slams he has had early exits; Wimbledon 2nd round and US Open 3rd. He needs to do something in Australia to justify his ranking. Apart from the French Open win he has not gone past the 4th round of a grand slam. In his year of 11 tournament wins his grand slam performances have been poor. However, he is still very young and has plenty of time to improve.

Ivan Ljubicic. Has never gone past the 3rd round of a grand slam despite being in top 10.

Gaston Gaudio. He is in the top 10 for 2nd year in a row. However, away from Roland Garros he has never gone beyong the 3rd round of a grand slam.

Roddick bashing may be a hobby on many on this site, but has achieved the following:

AO (Rebound Ace) 2 semis & quarter final
FO (clay) awful - 3rd
Wim (Grass) 2 finals
US Open (Decoturf) 1 winner

Roddick has proved himself on 3 surfaces (Rebound Ace, Grass and Decoturf) and failed on 1 surface (Clay).

Nadal and Gaudio have proved themselves on 1 surface (Clay) and failed on 3 surfaces (Rebound Ace, Grass and Decoturf).

Roddick is also much better than Nadal and Gaudio on carpet.

Detailed analysis shows that Roddick may be awful on clay, but he is a multi-surface player. I have no evidence for Nadal and Gaudio being multi surface at the highest level (grand slams).
I agree. Although, in fairness to Nadal, he did win the Montreal Masters and the Madrid Masters last year so he can perform on the hard courts. He just needs to transfer that form to the slams.

propi
12-05-2005, 11:20 PM
Geez, all talking about Rafa performing well just on clay or Roland Garros... leave Rafa alone he's proved much more at his age than 99% of the ATP including Federer: check his results in 2000
:rolleyes:

jacobhiggins
12-05-2005, 11:22 PM
Nobodies picking on Rafa, there just stating facts!

mangoes
12-05-2005, 11:45 PM
nadal and nalbandian, and ljubicic

Safin has won AO before. everyone knows he is talented etc, that he can win when he has his head on straight.

federer is a great champion. there are little doubts about his greatness.

Nadal must prove in a slam that he is a true al surface player, at least on hard.

Nalbandian needs to prove he can win one, not just reach the latter stage.

While ljubo needs to prove he can reach the latter stage.

I agree with this list and will add Roddick. I do not think there are any questions about Roger or Marat. Roger has shown everyone why he is No. 1. No one questions Marat's talent. I think the only question for Marat is: "how's the knee?"

However, I think everyone will be wondering about Ljubicic, Nalbandian, Nadal and Roddick.

Ljubicic: Is he going to start making it to the latter stages of the grand slams since he is a top 10 player.

Nalbandian: Is he going to build on his TMC win?

Nadal: Can his 2005 success rollover into 2006? Or was it a 1 year wonder.

Roddick: I think Andy has proven that he is a top 5 player over the years. I, however, think that his 2005 season raised a lot of questions about his "staying" power as one of the game's top 5 as it seems that it is getting easier for other players to beat him.

prima donna
12-06-2005, 12:12 AM
This thread must be bumped the next time Roger loses (possibly sooner than we all expect), because it's funny how many people ran their mouths and now all of a sudden Roger's the great and invincible again, nobody is brave enough to say half of the bullshit they said a few weeks ago when Nalbandian beat him.

Very cowardly. If Roger has nothing to prove, then when he loses, stick a sock in it and I'm still confused with why someone can't understand Roger Federer, being called possibly the greatest ever has much more to prove and more to lose than Nalbandian. Allow the threads to speak for themselves ...

Roger loses, 360 responses.
Nalbandian loses, 30 responses.

Am I completely alone here or IS THERE anyone with a brain big enough to comprehend that a world #1 being compared to Sampras has more expected of him than Nalbandian or Rafael Nadal ?

Also, how is Marat Safin, the most inconsistent player in the history of tennis set in anything ? Marat has proven to be less predictable than the weather on the Gulf during hurricane season.

Once again, it would not be a problem if people kept their mouths shut and stopped rambling about how Rafa is the "Fed Killa" and owns a winning H2H and just for the record I find it boring that Roger's "admirers" have each taken the time in this thread to come out of nowhere defending Roger, when he's not being attacked in the least bit. Roger has a lot to prove and I've probably been a fan of his longer than 90% of the people here.

Just because you support someone doesn't mean that you have to be tongue and scrotum with them. :rolleyes:

Fergie
12-06-2005, 12:54 AM
Nadal and Nalbandian

Denaon
12-06-2005, 01:34 AM
Nadal and Nalbandian
I agree

nobama
12-06-2005, 01:46 AM
Geez, all talking about Rafa performing well just on clay or Roland Garros... leave Rafa alone he's proved much more at his age than 99% of the ATP including Federer: check his results in 2000
:rolleyes:Let's see where Nadal is when he's 24...

Federerthebest
12-06-2005, 01:51 AM
Let's see where Nadal is when he's 24...

Under a doping investigation like all the other 3rd-world dirtballers

rexman
12-06-2005, 02:51 AM
Spain is third world?

Merton
12-06-2005, 03:10 AM
Let's see where Nadal is when he's 24...

At that time Roger will be 29. Lets see indeed.

Merton
12-06-2005, 03:12 AM

:worship: :worship: :worship:

Please, keep your brilliance in check, there are people that might turn blind reading your posts.

Merton
12-06-2005, 03:16 AM
Now about the thread: The most interesting issue for me is the rise of the new generation relative to the established players. I don't think that a single event can provide definite conclusions about any of the players mentioned so far.

celia
12-06-2005, 03:36 AM
Roddick has the most to prove. by far.

nobama
12-06-2005, 03:39 AM
At that time Roger will be 29. Lets see indeed.These comparisons are silly because we have no idea where a player will be a year from now much less 5 years. Safin, Hewitt and Roddick all won grand slams at an earlier age than Roger did. But at this point it seems unlikely any of them will end their careers with more slams than him. Of course anything is possible, but I would say the chances are slim.

mangoes
12-06-2005, 03:41 AM
These comparisons are silly because we have no idea where a player will be a year from now much less 5 years. Safin, Hewitt and Roddick all won grand slams at an earlier age than Roger did. But at this point it seems unlikely any of them will end their careers with more slams than him. Of course anything is possible, but I would say the chances are slim.

Agree :)

Merton
12-06-2005, 03:52 AM
These comparisons are silly because we have no idea where a player will be a year from now much less 5 years. Safin, Hewitt and Roddick all won grand slams at an earlier age than Roger did. But at this point it seems unlikely any of them will end their careers with more slams than him. Of course anything is possible, but I would say the chances are slim.

I completely agree. It is not possible to foresee Nadal's carreer path for the next five years, but the same can be said for all other players, including Roger.

Rafa = Fed Killa
12-06-2005, 07:11 AM
I don't think prima donna likes my name. :D

breakingthehabit
12-06-2005, 07:56 AM
Definitely Andy Roddick (will he stay in the top 5)
Nalby (prove that he can grab slam)
the last one prob Roger (i'm not sure about the stats, but so far in '05, he didn't look too strong in 5 set match.)

partygirl
12-06-2005, 08:29 AM
its true ....
andy has a lot to prove in 2006 AO but i think he likes it that.
so maybe he will go all the way!!!

tangerine_dream
12-06-2005, 06:51 PM
:worship: Another superb comment from the poster known as ThebestFedtard

Roddick has the most to prove. by far.
Here's another terrific in-depth analysis of Roddick by celia aka Just Another Fedtard who Hates Roddick. MTF just doesn't have enough posters like these :hearts: