LJUBICIC CHOKED...............Hrbarty defeats Ljubicic in 5 sets [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

LJUBICIC CHOKED...............Hrbarty defeats Ljubicic in 5 sets

mangoes
12-04-2005, 02:22 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: I can't believe this. LJUBICIC CHOKED. He just can't seem to close it out in these big moments.

Now it looks like it will come down to Ancic.

El Legenda
12-04-2005, 03:31 PM
how did he choke? wasted mp's?

tennismaster882001
12-04-2005, 03:32 PM
Yes, Ivan choked!!!!! Hrbaty is much more stabile!

Chloe le Bopper
12-04-2005, 03:32 PM
Somebody put Rducky on suicide watch!

El Legenda
12-04-2005, 03:33 PM

im fine. you need to let the loses always just bounce off :rolls:

mangoes
12-04-2005, 03:34 PM
Can Ancic win this? Because, he also has a history of choking.

bad gambler
12-04-2005, 03:35 PM

:lol:

maryjane2
12-04-2005, 03:36 PM
I guess i was right about Ljubicic not being able to win the big ones. Once a choker always a choker. What do you think mike?

Experimentee
12-04-2005, 03:36 PM
These trolls always have to make excuses rather than credit the opponent. Ljubo did not choke, he was never ahead and didnt have any match points.

El Legenda
12-04-2005, 03:37 PM
These trolls always have to make excuses rather than credit the opponent. Ljubo did not choke, he was never ahead and didnt have any match points.

ohhh no he choked, choked as a different meaning in MTF. :wavey:

mangoes
12-04-2005, 03:38 PM

Ljubicic Choked. I agree that credit is due to the opponent most of the times, but sometimes it comes down to a good old fashioned choke job. That's what happened, Ljubicic choked.

Silawen
12-04-2005, 03:39 PM
I love that the people claiming Ljubicic would win the DC solo are now making excuses for their man.

El Legenda
12-04-2005, 03:40 PM
I love that the people claiming Ljubicic would win the DC solo are now making excuses for their man.

excuses? what are you an :retard: and if mario does win, its all still thanks to Ivan :)

Dragula.mp3
12-04-2005, 03:42 PM
So he lost because he is a "pechou fríou" or because Hrbaty played a great match?. According to the result it was a very tough match.

RickDaStick
12-04-2005, 03:43 PM
Mangoes i definately hope you watched the match if your going to claim Ljubo choked. If all you got is the scoreboard then we don't want to hear it.

Experimentee
12-04-2005, 03:44 PM
Ljubicic Choked. I agree that credit is due to the opponent most of the times, but sometimes it comes down to a good old fashioned choke job. That's what happened, Ljubicic choked.

Explain how he choked when he was never ahead, never had any bps in the 5th set and Hrbaty was the better player for most of the match :rolleyes:

mangoes
12-04-2005, 03:45 PM
Mangoes i definately hope you watched the match if your going to claim Ljubo choked. If all you got is the scoreboard then we don't want to hear it.

I watched the match and shared my opinion.

gebl
12-04-2005, 03:46 PM
So Hrbaty was going to be slaughtered by Ljubichoke, eh, RDucky? :devil:

Silawen
excuses? what are you an :retard: and if mario does win, its all still thanks to Ivan :)

No need to be insulting. Yes, excuses. He didn't choke, he lost. And Ivan lost, thus he needs his teammates to grab the victory. It's not all thanks to Ivan, if they lose then it's partly thanks to. If they win it's partly thanks to Ivan. It's not all thanks to Ivan.

El Legenda
I watched the match and shared my opinion.

ohhh in that case, how many MP did ivan waste, 4? 5?

MariaV
12-04-2005, 03:47 PM
Ducky, I'm glad suicide watch is not needed what I wanted to say to you - IVAN's Diadora outfit for the DC is absolutely fabulous!!!!!!!! I LOOOOVE it! :yeah: :yeah: And cheers to him anyway! And to you too of course! :hug: :hug:

Corey Feldman
12-04-2005, 03:48 PM
:haha: Ljubo
Dominator :worship: :worship:

Ancic gets the glory now :tape:

Horatio Caine
12-04-2005, 03:49 PM
Nah - he didn't choke today, in the Madrid or Paris finals.

The guy can't win the biggest matches...end of.

gusman890
12-04-2005, 03:51 PM
yeahh exactly, lost to nalby in TMC, lost in both TMS Finals, and they were both 5 setters and now this one was a 5 set.

i think somebody is losing his energy haha

MariaV
12-04-2005, 03:52 PM
:haha: Ljubo
Dominator :worship: :worship:

Ancic gets the glory now :tape:
MIKE!!!!!!! I need you to hold me tight now!!!!!!!! :scared: :unsure: *DEAD*

blosson
12-04-2005, 03:55 PM
Can Mario save the day?

Go Mario!!!

gusman890
12-04-2005, 03:56 PM
is he really "super mario" and or "super choker"?

mandoura
I cannot understand why some posters keep repeating Ljubo cannot win the big matches. How do they explain Croatia being in the final then? Maybe he doesn't when he is playing for himself but not when he is doing it for his country.

Besides, saying that Ljubo's loss was due to his choking or whatever mental demons he has, takes a lot away from Dominik's win. He won because he was the better player today not because Ljubo's shortcomings gave him the match. Hrbaty won the match rather than Ljubo lost the match.

mangoes
Can Mario save the day?

Go Mario!!!

That would definitely be sweet. I don't think he expected this to come down to a 5th rubber. I hope he fights.

goran_the_2nd
12-04-2005, 03:58 PM
doh.. ivan cant handle the pressure very well. nothing new, he opened last game with a double fault just to remind us about that. but then again, it doesnt matter, he was our main and best player, now is ancic's time to get the job done. who would you like to bet on, ancic or mertinak :) ?

gusman890
12-04-2005, 03:59 PM
i think mertinak will win in 4 sets

*Ljubica*
12-04-2005, 04:03 PM
Having watched this entire match on TV - my personal view is that Ljubo didn't choke at all - it was a close 5-setter between two well-matched players both fighting hard. In the end - Dominik was inspired - whether by the crowd, by his patriotism or whatever it was - and he played the match of his life :worship: It was no disgrace for anyone to lose to him today.

Scotso
12-04-2005, 04:04 PM
This is why Ivan will never be a great player. Sure, he wins a lot of good matches and such, enough to make him top 10... but when the chips are down (Madrid, Paris, today) he just can't do it.

Corey Feldman
12-04-2005, 04:05 PM
MIKE!!!!!!! I need you to hold me tight now!!!!!!!! :scared: :unsure: *DEAD*
:hug: Maria
im pretty sure Ancic wins anyway..
Slovak needed the doubles

mandoura
12-04-2005, 04:05 PM
Having watched this entire match on TV - my personal view is that Ljubo didn't choke at all - it was a close 5-setter between two well-matched players both fighting hard. In the end - Dominik was inspired - whether by the crowd, by his patriotism or whatever it was - and he played the match of his life :worship: It was no disgrace for anyone to lose to him today.

:yeah:

tangerine_dream
12-04-2005, 04:11 PM
Scoreline tells me this is a must-see match. Well done knocking the Davis Cup king off his throne for a day, Dommy http://img2.menstennisforums.com/500/dance2.gifhttp://img2.menstennisforums.com/500/dance2.gifhttp://img2.menstennisforums.com/500/dance2.gif

El Legenda
12-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Scoreline tells me this is a must-see match. Well done knocking the Davis Cup king off his throne for a day, Dommy http://img2.menstennisforums.com/500/dance2.gifhttp://img2.menstennisforums.com/500/dance2.gifhttp://img2.menstennisforums.com/500/dance2.gif
:wavey:

Chris Seahorse
12-04-2005, 04:14 PM
Hrbaty played a great match. As for Ljubicic well he has now played 15 5th sets in his career. He has won 4 of them. I will leave it to others to provide the reasons.

RickDaStick
12-04-2005, 04:15 PM
This is why Ivan will never be a great player. Sure, he wins a lot of good matches and such, enough to make him top 10... but when the chips are down (Madrid, Paris, today) he just can't do it.

Thank you for your opinion Mr. KBF

tangerine_dream
12-04-2005, 04:16 PM
:wavey:
Hi Ducky, Davis Cup is getting pretty exciting now isn't it? :banana:

mangoes
12-04-2005, 04:17 PM

There are many times on MTF when players are accused of choking and I heartily disagree. However, while I don't want to take away from the heartfelt win from Hrbaty, I, while not a tennis master, have seen Ljubicic play better than he did on many occasions. I am simply disappointed that when it comes to the critical moments, if Ljubicic's opponent steps up to the plate and accept the challenge, Ljubicic becomes rattled and loses. I cite Madrid and Paris as examples.

I would not say this if I thought Ljubicic played his best game but Hrbaty still reigned victorious. It just seems, in these critical matches, that there is more desire, determination, and heart from Ljubicic's opponents than from Ljubicic, himself, to win. Now, this is just my opinion. It differs from yours, but it's just an opinion.

El Legenda
12-04-2005, 04:17 PM
Hi Ducky, Davis Cup is getting pretty exciting now isn't it? :banana:

not as much as Rams vs Redskins in 45min, or my 7page paper do tomorrow. i got my name on paper so far :rolls: :smooch:

its.like.that
12-04-2005, 04:22 PM
Ljubicic didn't choke, it was a final - he never showed up in the first place.

Flibbertigibbet
12-04-2005, 04:23 PM
Go Ancic. At least he gets an opportunity to do this for the team.

RickDaStick
12-04-2005, 04:23 PM
not as much as Rams vs Redskins in 45min, or my 7page paper do tomorrow. i got my name on paper so far :rolls: :smooch:

Rams game in 3 hours and 45 minutes dont hold your breath for it.

El Legenda
12-04-2005, 04:25 PM
Rams game in 3 hours and 45 minutes dont hold your breath for it.

ohhh that blows, i thought i was, like everyday, well f8ck nothing to do now :)

BlackSilver
12-04-2005, 04:29 PM
There are many times on MTF when players are accused of choking and I heartily disagree. However, while I don't want to take away from the heartfelt win from Hrbaty, I, while not a tennis master, have seen Ljubicic play better than he did on many occasions. I am simply disappointed that when it comes to the critical moments, if Ljubicic's opponent steps up to the plate and accept the challenge, Ljubicic becomes rattles and loses. I cite Madrid and Paris as examples.

I would not say this if I thought Ljubicic played his best game but Hrbaty still reigned victorious. It just seems, in these critical matches, that there is more desire, determination, and heart from Ljubicic's opponents than from Ljubicic, himself, to win. Now, this is just my opinion. It differs from yours, but it's just an opinion.

I disagree with this use of the word chock. Chock is when you are winning, dominating the match and when the time to end it comes, your level drops and you can't finish it. OR when you have several easy points that can decide the match and isn't able to win these, due to unforced erros or to too conservative play .

And yes, I agree with the spirit of your post. As I said in the other topic about the match

I agree with what our commentator was saying during all the match, Ljubicic is simply too cold. You have to use the emotion to raise your level in the critical moments, not suppress it. Specially in Davis Cup. Like Domink "I am a born to be Davis Cup player" Hrbaty do

Peoples
12-04-2005, 04:30 PM
Choked or not

But normally in tennis, a quality that describes most of the top players is ability to raise their game according to the importance of the match, despite the pressure. No doubt Ljubicic played over his ability vs Federer this year but he wasn't under much pressure. On the other hand Madrid, Paris, this etc. proves he can't raise his game in high pressure situation.

Fergie
12-04-2005, 04:38 PM
Ivan can't win the important matchs :sad:

its.like.that
12-04-2005, 04:41 PM
I actually don't think that Ljubicic has choked in any big matches this year, he' just been unlucky.

shotgun
12-04-2005, 04:43 PM
This is not about choking. Ivan is not a choker. All the finals he has lost this year, it was because he was totally outplayed by more talented players than him - including Pim-Pim Johansson in Marseille.

prima donna
12-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Ivan Ljubicic has proven to be the biggest overachiever, possibly in the Top 10 ever. The Croatian simply does not possess the speed of foot and variety that other players may, however, he has quite an intimidating game that is primarily based around a strong serve, backed up by a backhand. His forehand is very erratic and after his display even in a win, yesterday, his game at net simply looked mediocre.

He may have exceeded his level, he simply is outclassed when it comes to facing the Nadal's, Federer's and evidently, even the Hrbaty's of the world. One should not mistake this as a bash, but merely a valid point.

The Croatian has lost to Federer, Berdych, Nadal, Gasquet and Nalbandian, proving to be on a string when it comes to future Top 10 players or currents. His only decisive and impressive win coming against Andy Roddick, a project he's been desperately trying to figure out for the last couple of years.

I enjoy his play, but simply believe that he is outclassed on a big stage, because ... well ... let's face it .. Ivan has overachieved to reach this point in his career; however, with such flawed armor at times, one would be foolish to deny posing the question how long will he last in the Top 10?

El Legenda
12-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Ivan Ljubicic has proven to be the biggest overachiever, possibly in the Top 10 ever. The Croatian simply does not possess the speed of foot and variety that other players may, however, he has quite an intimidating game that is primarily based around a strong serve, backed up by a backhand. His forehand is very erratic and after his display even in a win, yesterday, his game at net simply looked mediocre.

He may have exceeded his level, he simply is outclassed when it comes to facing the Nadal's, Federer's and evidently, even the Hrbaty's of the world. One should not mistake this as a bash, but merely a valid point.

The Croatian has lost to Federer, Berdych, Nadal, Gasquet and Nalbandian, proving to be on a string when it comes to future Top 10 players or currents. His only decisive and impressive win coming against Andy Roddick, a project he's been desperately trying to figure out for the last couple of years.

I enjoy his play, but simply believe that he is outclassed on a big stage, because ... well ... let's face it .. Ivan has overachieved to reach this point in his career; however, with such flawed armor at times, one would be foolish to deny posing the question how long will he last in the Top 10?

hahahaha hick

prima donna
12-04-2005, 06:35 PM
hahahaha hick
:lol: :lol: :haha:
:haha:
:smooch:

Between Hrbaty and Chloe, WOW. I'm overwhelmed. You have been thoroughly silenced twice in less than 24 hours.

Carlita
12-04-2005, 07:11 PM
:yawn::yawn::yawn:@ the choking... it's getting :zzz:

MariaV
12-04-2005, 07:50 PM
I actually don't think that Ljubicic has choked in any big matches this year, he' just been unlucky.
Thank you Jim.

Golfnduck
12-04-2005, 09:11 PM
Hrbaty :bigclap: