Coria vs Nalbadian! Who has the greater potential to win a slam? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Coria vs Nalbadian! Who has the greater potential to win a slam?

Tennis_Passion
12-03-2005, 10:02 PM
For the first time in three years, David took over Coria as the highest year end ranked Argentine player by winning the biggest title in his career. But Argentines have consistently finished behind the Espanols, 05-Nadal, 04-Moya, 03-Ferrero who all finished in the top 5 all of whom also have won slams.
These two Argentines have become known as some sort of under-achievers who just could not win slams. So who do you think have the greater potential to win slams to match Gaudio who really is not in the same league as them.

lau
12-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Espanols = Espaņoles?? :)
BTW, Nalbi..., but who knows :shrug:

sigmagirl91
12-03-2005, 10:08 PM
And Nalbadian=Nalbandian

Don't know who the other guy is...can't be sure if he'll win a GS. :devil:
Anyhoo, David.

Tennis_Passion
12-03-2005, 10:08 PM
Man, just relax 'bout the spelling mistakes, kay?........u no i cant spel...

sigmagirl91
12-03-2005, 10:09 PM
Man, just relax 'bout the spelling mistakes, kay?........u no i cant spel...

Awwww..... :angel:

lau
12-03-2005, 10:09 PM
:lol: I was just having some fun ;)
Anyway, you would correct me if I write Leyton Hewit, wouldnīt you?

Tennis_Passion
12-03-2005, 10:12 PM
:lol: I was just having some fun ;)
Anyway, you would correct me if I write Leyton Hewit, wouldnīt you?
Sure I would....noboy touches my Lleyton... :worship: :worship:

lau
12-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Sure I would....noboy touches my Lleyton... :worship: :worship:
And... Hewitt :o

:p

shotgun
12-03-2005, 10:32 PM
Nalbandian.

Not only surface is not an issue to him (and that means that he's a contender for every one of the 4 slams - a dark horse actually, but anyway :lol: ), but also he has already showed that he can defeat a player that is higher ranked that him (and I'm not talking about Rogi only).

We all know that Coria had the greatest chance of his career to win a slam last year. Time has passed and things only got worse for him, although he managed to improve on other surfaces, but then again, not enough to be a contender for Aus, Wimbledon and US. If he wants to win Roland Garros, he still has to prove that he can beat Fed, Nadal and even Gaudio on clay, considering that he hasn't done it since they achieved their respective present levels.

sigmagirl91
12-03-2005, 10:38 PM
Nalbandian.

Not only surface is not an issue to him (and that means that he's a contender for every one of the 4 slams - a dark horse actually, but anyway :lol: ), but also he has already showed that he can defeat a player that is higher ranked that him (and I'm not talking about Rogi only).

We all know that Coria had the greatest chance of his career to win a slam last year. Time has passed and things only got worse for him, although he managed to improve on other surfaces, but then again, not enough to be a contender for Aus, Wimbledon and US. If he wants to win Roland Garros, he still has to prove that he can beat Fed, Nadal and even Gaudio on clay, considering that he hasn't done it since they achieved their respective present levels.

I agree with you regarding Coria. And I think that loss still affects him in many ways. Furthermore, had Puerta actually won the FO, that may have presented some more psychological mess for him.

shotgun
12-03-2005, 10:40 PM
I agree with you regarding Coria. And I think that loss still affects him in many ways. Furthermore, had Puerta actually won the FO, that may have presented some more psychological mess for him.

You mean for Coria, or for Puerta?

bad gambler
12-03-2005, 10:42 PM
bandy

sigmagirl91
12-03-2005, 11:16 PM
You mean for Coria, or for Puerta?

Coria, of course. In my opinion, he would have shat a brick if Puerta managed a win there.

shotgun
12-03-2005, 11:33 PM
Coria, of course. In my opinion, he would have shat a brick if Puerta managed a win there.

I don't know about that. I mean, these guys have known each other for a long time, and come more or less from the same background, so that when one of them manages to win a major, the others may think: "Hey, if he could do it, I can do it, too."

They have a strong competitive nature. The Argentine players themselves may be taken as example. First it was Nalbandian reaching Wimbledon finals, then Coria had an incredible year in 2003, then Gaudio won RG, then Puerta reached the finals and so on. Calleri, Chela and Caņas, who weren't exactly newbies at the tour, reached the top 20. The same happened to Zabaleta, Gaudio and Squillari in 2000. With Gonzalez and Massu in Chile. And with Kuerten and Lapentti in the early 90's, who have had a close friendship since they were juniors.

What I mean is, the logical thing would be Coria feeling motivated to win a Slam because a countrymen of his did it. It's the same thing that when you're in college and your best friend is getting better grades than you, you will force yourself to work harder so you can surpass him or at least do as well as him, and so on.

BATES
12-03-2005, 11:38 PM
If Coria recovers and starts playing as he used to before his surgery, he has good chances.

DrJules
12-03-2005, 11:40 PM
David Nalbandian is a better player than Coria with 4 chances a year to win a grand slam while Coria only has 1 chance so he should win one first.

David Nalbandian is the only Argentinian who is among the very best on all surfaces; rebound ace, clay, grass and decoturf not to mention the non-grand slam carpet. Any player who can play at the level of the very best on 5 surfaces is outstanding. Coria like most Argentinians is really only competative with the very best on 1 surface clay.

Galaxystorm
12-03-2005, 11:43 PM
The greater potential ? Nalbandian

Who has more chances to win a Grand Slam ? Coria and it would be in Roland Garros , because although Nalbandian has more potential ( technical skills ) , i don't see him with the enough mental strength/regularity/ concentration to win a Grand Slam in the short term . The regularity is also a part of the talent , is necessary to win a Grand Slam and Nalbandian still hasn't shown it

Neely
12-03-2005, 11:44 PM
Overall Nalbandian is the better competitor because he can reach the quarterfinal or semifinal and occassionally a final in virtually every Slam, therefore, in theory, should have more chances to win one. Coria is IMO providing the bigger threat on clay than Nalbandian, but in general I don't see his chance in the other three Slams as big as Nalbandian's, just judging by results so far.

But still I wouldn't rule Coria out for future yet, his US Open 05 was very impressive and he showed that a hardcourt Grand Slam semifinal was well within his reach, just missed it. And I believe he can catch fire any time on clay again and has the skills to beat Nadal and others. I rather think that 2003 was his first chance to win RG, not the last one.

sigmagirl91
12-03-2005, 11:49 PM

Who has more chances to win a Grand Slam ? Coria and it would be in Roland Garros , because although Nalbandian has more potential ( technical skills ) , i don't see him with the enough mental strength/regularity/ concentration to win a Grand Slam in the short term . The regularity is also a part of the talent , is necessary to win a Grand Slam and Nalbandian still hasn't shown it

Coria is not exactly a mental giant himself.

DrJules
12-03-2005, 11:53 PM

French Open final 2004 Coria against Gaudio choked far more than Nalbandian In US Open sem-final against Roddick.

lau
12-03-2005, 11:56 PM
I don't know about that. I mean, these guys have known each other for a long time, and come more or less from the same background, so that when one of them manages to win a major, the others may think: "Hey, if he could do it, I can do it, too."

They have a strong competitive nature. The Argentine players themselves may be taken as example. First it was Nalbandian reaching Wimbledon finals, then Coria had an incredible year in 2003, then Gaudio won RG, then Puerta reached the finals and so on. Calleri, Chela and Caņas, who weren't exactly newbies at the tour, reached the top 20. The same happened to Zabaleta, Gaudio and Squillari in 2000. With Gonzalez and Massu in Chile. And with Kuerten and Lapentti in the early 90's, who have had a close friendship since they were juniors.

What I mean is, the logical thing would be Coria feeling motivated to win a Slam because a countrymen of his did it. It's the same thing that when you're in college and your best friend is getting better grades than you, you will force yourself to work harder so you can surpass him or at least do as well as him, and so on.
Yep, I agree. Thatīs one of the theories I use to explain the success (or whatever you want to call it) of Arg. tennis (and Russian female tennis too).

sigmagirl91
12-04-2005, 12:02 AM
French Open final 2004 Coria against Gaudio choked far more than Nalbandian In US Open sem-final against Roddick.

Especially when Coria was the heavy favorite.

shotgun
12-04-2005, 12:09 AM
Especially when Coria was the heavy favorite.

And especially because the linesman didn't make consequential errors in that match. :(

Galaxystorm
12-04-2005, 12:13 AM

I didn't know that losing because of an injury ( cramps etc ) meant " to choke " :rolleyes: . Coria deserved to win that Roland Garros, was by far the best player during the two weeks and we all know what happened in the final . Tennis injustice was cruel to Coria .

So far Coria has shown to be more regular and to have more mental strength than Nalbandian, and without this skill is very difficult to win a Grand Slam . The talent without a stable mind = Only 4 ATP titles = Nalbandian's mind = waste of talent .

Nalbandian is like to have sex without reaching the orgasm :shrug:

Galaxystorm
12-04-2005, 12:14 AM
Coria is not exactly a mental giant himself.

A player with a weak mind isn't able to make Coria's perfomance in 2003/04 winning a lot of matches in a row ( on clay ).

I'm not telling Coria is the strongest mind ever, but if someone says that Nalbandian is mentally stronger than him , i only find a word to call it " BIASED " .

sigmagirl91
12-04-2005, 12:18 AM
I didn't know that losing because of an injury ( cramps etc ) meant " to choke " :rolleyes: . Coria deserved to win that Roland Garros, was by far the best player during the two weeks and we all know what happened in the final . Tennis injustice was cruel to Coria .

Lack of conditioning, not injury, is what did Coria in. I don't care how deserving Coria was of the FO title (that's not up for debate); he didn't finish the job.

sigmagirl91
12-04-2005, 12:19 AM

If you were going for the big guns here, you would have done well to leave this off.

sigmagirl91
12-04-2005, 12:21 AM
I'm not telling Coria is the strongest mind ever, but if someone says that Nalbandian is mentally stronger than him , i only find a word to call it " BIASED " .

Go look "biased" up in the dictionary. Your name is right next to it.

Galaxystorm
12-04-2005, 12:27 AM
Go look "biased" up in the dictionary. Your name is right next to it.

Is so much for you to accept that your hero Nalbandian is a waste of talent ??

DrJules
12-04-2005, 12:29 AM

So far Coria has shown to be more regular and to have more mental strength than Nalbandian, and without this skill is very difficult to win a Grand Slam . The talent without a stable mind = Only 4 ATP titles = Nalbandian's mind = waste of talent .

Coria had 2 match points in that final.

Nalbandian is like to have sex without reaching the orgasm :lol: :lol: :lol:

sigmagirl91
12-04-2005, 12:30 AM
Is so much for you to accept that your hero Nalbandian is a waste of talent ??

"Waste of talent" would apply to someone whose career is over, and they haven't accomplished anything of note. And winning the year-end tournament (a major tourney after the GS's) is not a "waste of talent", last I checked. And making the quarters or better of every Slam isn't either.

shotgun
12-04-2005, 12:33 AM

:lol: That was pretty funny.

Federerthebest
12-04-2005, 12:36 AM
Coria. I still believe that he will win the French Open one day, but I don't see Nalbandian winning a slam - not unless he improves that serve, anyway.

lau
12-04-2005, 12:39 AM
But I would like to reach the orgasm with him.... :toothy: :drool:

Oh, wait.... did I say that out loud?! :bolt:

Galaxystorm
12-04-2005, 12:41 AM
Coria had 2 match points in that final.

If Gaudio hadn't won that match , it would have been one of the funniest jokes ever, because in the last two sets Coria hardly could move and we all know how he had to serve, without jumping at all . And in spite of these facts Gaudio was about to lose the match :o ( those matchs points for Coria ...) .

But i'm not gonna argue anymore about that final because 1) it is already the past 2) it's my opinion . 3) i haver better things to do than defending Coria, when i'm not a fan of him .

I'm always surprised about this kind of threads when people attaches too much importance to technical skills of players, when the talent is a lot of things more than only technique . If you want to think that Nalbandian has more chances to win a Grand Slam just because he is better technically than Coria is your opinion and i disagree . I see the tennis players as a whole of different aspects, not only technically and as i have said to win a Grand Slam is necesarry something more than to be a technical player.

Galaxystorm
12-04-2005, 12:44 AM
But I would like to reach the orgasm with him.... :toothy: :drool:

Chela is a great catch for you

lau
12-04-2005, 12:48 AM
Chela is a great catch for you
:sad: But I donīt like Chela at all :crying2:

EDIT: :scratch: Although it seems Chela doesnīt like football!! :woohoo: (No "Futbol de Primera" on Sundays!!!) He could be the right one after all!! :inlove:

DrJules
12-04-2005, 12:57 AM
:scratch: Never thought of David Nalbandian tennis before as orgasmic.

jazz_girl
12-04-2005, 12:57 AM

EDIT: :scratch: Although it seems Chela doesnīt like football!! :woohoo: (No "Futbol de Primera" on Sundays!!!) He could be the right one after all!! :inlove:
:lol:

shotgun
12-04-2005, 01:00 AM

Forget it. The only top argentine player who is not commited is Chucho. Oh, and Monaco, I guess.

Galaxystorm
12-04-2005, 01:01 AM
"Waste of talent" would apply to someone whose career is over, and they haven't accomplished anything of note. And winning the year-end tournament (a major tourney after the GS's) is not a "waste of talent", last I checked. And making the quarters or better of every Slam isn't either.

He's a waste of talent " so far " . What he will do in the future nobody knows .

I call him a " waste of talent " because he has a great technical talent , has a great potential because he is able to play on all surfaces, is able to hit winners with each shot ( only his serve is weak ) but his irregularity , his lack of mental strength , his lack of sacrifice , his injuries , his lack of professionalism and his lack of motivation ( as he confessed in a press conference in Shanghai ) all these facts have only been enough for him to win 4 titles ( it's true , one of them very important, the TMC ) and to reach fourth ATP postion as his highest when according to my opinion he has/had the potential to reach the second position.

I like his personality , he seems to be a nice guy, i was very happy when he won in Shanghai, but he's a squandering of talent ( in my opinion ).

lau
12-04-2005, 01:03 AM
Forget it. The only top argentine player who is not commited is Chucho. Oh, and Monaco, I guess.
I Know!! :) Chuchoīs in my top 3!!! :hearts: :drool: :inlove:

Galaxystorm
12-04-2005, 01:10 AM
I Know!! :) Chuchoīs in my top 3!!! :hearts: :drool: :inlove:

Can the missionaries have sex ?? ;)

lau
12-04-2005, 01:14 AM
Can the missionaries have sex ?? ;)
:lol: I hope so

Baseline
12-04-2005, 03:32 AM
IMO they both have great chances of winning a slam. Nalb probably has a higher percentage chance due to the slam surfaces, but Coria is not strictly a clay court player. I'm hoping they both achieve it in 2006 and wish them luck. It's almost like the planets have to align for anyone other than Federer to win, at least lately.

Factors go beyond those already mentioned (which include talent, commitment, motivation, mental concentration, etc...) - the draw can be critical, and so is the player's physical condition at the time.

Nalbandian has dealt with some weighty personal crises and health problems recently, but he's overcome them to win MC, so IMO he could regain top form and then some in 06 and use the current momentum to win a slam, why not? He's also improved his ability to concentrate and commit on court. His lower rank was due to lagging MS results, but his slam results are generally excellent, 3 QF and 1 R16 in 05. Only 3 players on the whole tour were consistent (and healthy) enough to make it to R16 in every slam this year: Federer, Nalbandian, and Coria.

Coria's come back from shoulder surgery surprisingly fast and put the mess of RG 04 behind him enough to play superb tennis most notably in the Rome final, at the USO, and China Open. His new trainer has helped him improve his conditioning as well. If he can improve his match concentration and his service, learn to believe he can beat anyone on clay, and not go into RG physically exhausted as he did this year, IMO he could win RG in 06. He skipped the warm-up clay events this year for the European indoor circuit to poor effect, so playing on clay instead in 06 should help too, esp. considering that Nadal is choosing hard courts instead of clay.

Hola Mr. SK
12-04-2005, 04:56 AM
Nalbandian. :worship: What he needs now is a little bit luck...
The best time for Coria is over.Now hes more like Michael Chang.I wonder how long hes gonna remain competitive.BTW, hes got a pretty wife. :p