Agassi, Graf vs. Kournikova, Roddick? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Agassi, Graf vs. Kournikova, Roddick?

Gigan
12-03-2005, 08:18 AM
Love conquers all -- even in tennis
Agassi and Graf form a formidable twosome on and off the court

BY JOHN PACKETT
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER Dec 3, 2005

The husband and wife team of Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf had never played mixed doubles together before last night's Genworth Children's Advantage Classic.

"I anticipate winning the mixed," Agassi said prior to the exhibition against Andy Roddick and Anna Kournikova in front of a sold-out audience at the Siegel Center.

Agassi's forecast proved correct, as he and Graf pulled out an 8-7 decision, claiming the eight-game pro set by virtue of a 7-4 tiebreaker and then celebrating with a long kiss before heading to the net to shake hands with their victims.

The Agassis smooched more than once during the match, which may have made up for the time that Graf hit her husband in the back with a return during one point.

"It'll certainly be a great experience for us," said Agassi before the match. He is still plying his trade on the tour while his wife, 36, has been retired since 1999. "To enjoy each other on that level. I don't anticipate things being too fiery on our end."

In other words, Agassi wasn't counting on either of them being disturbed when the other missed a shot.

"We haven't really done that [gotten mad] yet," Agassi said. "I don't think tennis will get us there."

Indeed, there were nothing but smiles and grins from the Agassis, who were married in October, 2001, and have two children, Jaden and Jaz. While they weren't exactly color coordinated, the couple played well enough together to outlast Roddick and Kournikova.

Just because they prevailed against some pretty stiff competition -- Roddick didn't hold back on many of his trademark rocket serves -- doesn't mean there are any plans to play together on the circuit.

"That wouldn't be my guess," Agassi smiled. "It takes a lot to get her to put herself in that position out there. The reasons why we're here are why we're doing it at all."

All of the proceeds, which totaled a little over $500,000, will benefit Virginia Commonwealth's Lobs and Lessons program for inner-city kids and the William Byrd Community House.

In the final match of the evening, Agassi showed that he can still stay with the best in the world at 35 when he pulled out a first-set tiebreaker and went on to post a 7-6 (7-5), 6-4 verdict over Roddick, 23, who finished 2005 ranked No.3 in the world. Agassi wasn't far behind at No.7.

"My game is one that's designed to play against different styles of players," said Agassi, who's planning to get 2006 started with the Australian Open next month. "More than anything, it's important to have the motivation and focus, and I've done that over the years.

"I'm still challenged, but the challenge has certainly taken on a different nature as I get older. I'm still very motivated to get out there and figure out a way. If I can stay healthy and play well throughout the year, then I'll take a good look at it and see where I stand."

Prior to the matches, all of the players participated in an afternoon clinic for about 300 kids from Richmond and Newport News. Some of the invited juniors -- most were from underprivileged neighborhoods -- went on the court and hit with the stars, while the majority watched from the stands and tried to absorb the lessons.

The afternoon and evening sessions were taped by The Tennis Channel for showing later this month and next year.

Contact John Packett at (804) 649-6313 or jpackett@timesdispatch.com

Xytraguptorh
12-03-2005, 11:16 AM
What a fucking dumb and sappy article

Who the hell would even want to see that match

czech1rep
12-03-2005, 01:43 PM

¨For example me :p . Roddick, Agassi, Graf and Anna, who wouldn´t like to see them ???

djul
12-03-2005, 01:58 PM

me and apparently 6 000 other people

blosson
12-03-2005, 02:39 PM

I would have loved to see this match. Graff :D

avocadoe
12-03-2005, 02:44 PM
woohoo, nice article, thanks

Pea
12-03-2005, 02:59 PM
That's like a nightmare of a matchup, minus Anna.

*Viva Chile*
12-03-2005, 04:40 PM
Any pics??

AgassiDomination
12-03-2005, 04:44 PM
Any pics??

My thoughts exactly.

NyGeL
12-03-2005, 06:53 PM
the problem was that Roddick didn't play with Sharapova :p

Deboogle!.
12-04-2005, 12:00 AM
No pics, but it will be on TTC in a couple weeks :)

Gigan
12-04-2005, 05:19 AM
Any pics??

i'll post them soon...

http://www.rocknracquets.com/2005%20NEW/player.jpg

i'll post them soon...

Chloe le Bopper
12-04-2005, 07:06 AM
Gigan :wavey:

Gigan
12-04-2005, 09:41 AM
we got first pic, guys

enjoy :wavey:

http://vh10503.moc.gbahn.net/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=G0&Date=20051204&Category=NEWS03&ArtNo=512040350&Ref=AR&Profile=1001&maxW=280&noborder=1&Q=70

Gigan
12-04-2005, 09:46 AM
somebody likes it big... ;)

enjoy :wavey:

http://vh10503.moc.gbahn.net/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=G0&Date=20051204&Category=NEWS03&ArtNo=512040350&Ref=AR&Profile=1001&MaxW=500&title=1&Maxh=400&Q=80

Agassi, Graf win match in Boise

Husband-and-wife doubles team Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf celebrate a point in their match against Mike Bryan and Viktoria Azarenka during an exhibition at Taco Bell Arena on Saturday. Agassi and Graf won 6-4.

The Idaho Statesman | Edition Date: 12-04-2005

Andre Agassi nearly pulled off a perfect 3-for-3 performance Saturday night at the Rock-n-Racquets exhibition tennis event at Taco Bell Arena.

But Agassi, who teamed with wife and fellow tennis legend Steffi Graf to win a mixed doubles match and James Blake to win a men's doubles match, couldn't put Blake away in a singles match to close out the event.

Blake, who lost a five-set thriller to Agassi at last summer's U.S. Open, got the best of Agassi on Saturday night, winning a third-set tiebreaker after the pair split the first two sets in front of 7,225 fans who watched some spirited tennis.

Asked after the match whether beating Agassi in Boise made up for the disappointment of losing to him at the Open, Blake responded with a laugh: "I think the money's a little better there, but the money I earned here goes to a really good cause."

The Rock-n-Racquets event, sponsored by Tamarack Resort and a fund raiser for the Andre Agassi Charitable Foundation, featured Agassi, Blake, Graf, the world's top-ranked men's doubles team of American twin brothers Mike and Bob Bryan, and the world's top-ranked female junior player, Viktoria Azarenka of Belarus.

Agassi paired with Blake to battle the Bryan brothers in the opening match of the night, a one-set, best-of-eight game affair. Agassi and Blake jumped out to a 3-1 lead, built their lead to 5-3 and led 7-3 after Agassi hammered home an overhead. But the Bryan brothers battled back and cut the lead to 7-6 before Blake served out the match.

The night’s second match featured Agassi playing a mixed doubles match with Graf for the first time ever, and the pairing turned out to be a success. Graf, who retired from the WTA Tour in 1999, looked sharp against the pairing of Mike Bryan and Azarenka. There were no service breaks until Agassi and Graf broke Bryan’s serve in the decisive 10th game to win the match 6-4.

“I rarely get the chance to play anymore, and especially in front of such a tremendous crowd,” Graf said.

Agassi said he relished the chance to play side-by-side with his wife.
“It was such a thrill to be on the court with her and to play mixed doubles with her,” Agassi said.

Saturday night’s crowd was enthusiastic, cheering and jeering all the players throughout the night. One of the more memorable screams heard from the crowd included a, “Let’s go, Steffi’s husband,” during Agassi’s match against Blake.

Paula Copeland, of Boise, attended the event mostly to see the Bryan brothers play. The mother of twin girls herself, Copeland said she was pleasantly surprised by the turnout.

“I thought it was a great tennis event,” she said. “I thought it was a great turnout for Boise, especially in the middle of winter.”
One of the ballboys was Justin Armstrong of Boise, who attends West Junior High.

“It felt really cool to be that close to the pros,” Armstrong said. “It was pretty exciting. I thought James Blake did the best.”
Asked if he was nervous to be on the court alongside some of the best tennis players on the planet, Armstrong replied, “A little bit. I didn’t want to get hit in the face with a serve or anything.”

blosson
12-04-2005, 10:22 AM
awww look at those 2.

Deboogle!.
12-05-2005, 12:45 AM
Any pics??:)

yoguis
12-05-2005, 12:51 AM
Great photos! Do you have more?

Deboogle!.
12-05-2005, 12:54 AM
That's mostly it for the group, there are some of them all alone...

you can go to www.newscom.com and login with the guest password they give there and search for whatever you like :)

artlinkletter
12-05-2005, 02:49 AM
Looks like Steffi is sporting a darker hair colour. Looks nice on her. Anna looks gorgeous as well. I would definetly have loved to see this match.

YoursTruly
12-05-2005, 03:40 AM
GO ANDRE AND STEFFI!!!!!

YoursTruly
12-05-2005, 03:43 AM
I guess Steffi is back to her pro staff

Gigan
12-05-2005, 08:29 AM
pix

Gigan
12-05-2005, 08:31 AM
pictures

Gigan
12-05-2005, 08:34 AM
more

Adman
12-05-2005, 10:35 AM
That would have been a one to watch with the Agassi's playing, against some top competition but at least Andre and Steffi won.

czech1rep
12-05-2005, 05:07 PM
You were lucky, It must have been great. :p
The pictures are really really good.
So the next time it could be in the Czech Republic :D
Or, Steffi, at least in Germany. Thanks

Gigan
12-05-2005, 09:06 PM
guys, if somebody has more pix of that event,
post here plz... :wavey:

Deboogle!.
12-05-2005, 09:07 PM
Well, it will be on TV here in a couple of weeks, maybe someone can make captures from the tv or something :)

cincy
12-05-2005, 09:08 PM
Those are pictures from two separate exhibitions: (1) the one with Andy and Anna was in Richmond, Virginia on Friday night; and (2) the one with Blake and the Bryans was in Boise, Idaho on Saturday night.

The Richmond exhibition will be shown on the Tennis Channel on December 17.

Thanks for the pictures.

Gigan
12-05-2005, 09:17 PM
couple of pix thanx to Yoguis!

wcr
12-06-2005, 03:07 PM
The Agassis smooched more than once during the match, which may have made up for the time that Graf hit her husband in the back with a return during one point.

Thankfully hitting one's partner in the back isn't something that only happens at the amateur level. If Steffi can do it, so can I!

alfonsojose
12-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Steffi reminds me of Juju in these pics. .. :scratch: .. if i'm not wrong, She's Juju's idol, isn't she?

bellascarlett
12-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Those are pictures from two separate exhibitions: (1) the one with Andy and Anna was in Richmond, Virginia on Friday night; and (2) the one with Blake and the Bryans was in Boise, Idaho on Saturday night.

The Richmond exhibition will be shown on the Tennis Channel on December 17.

Thanks for the pictures.

Ohmygosh Thanks! They've been announcing it on TTC for days that the exhibition will be shown "latter this month" so I checked the site for days and it offers nothing. Dunno about now but where did you get this date? know what time?

Can I just say that Anna is looking near anorexic! How could she say she still hasn't officially retired if her body looks like this?

Deboogle!.
12-06-2005, 05:47 PM
This exhibition will be debuting Sat. Dec 17 at 8pm Eastern. and it will, of course, repeat many times :lol:

Incidentally, this Sunday the 11th at the same time, they are debuting a THREE-HOUR airing of the WTT event that was in Early November (with Andy, James and his brother, Martina Hingis, Anna, Elton John, Billie Jean King, etc.)!

bellascarlett
12-06-2005, 05:49 PM
This exhibition will be debuting Sat. Dec 17 at 8pm Eastern. and it will, of course, repeat many times :lol:

Incidentally, this Sunday the 11th at the same time, they are debuting a THREE-HOUR airing of the WTT event that was in Early November (with Andy, James and his brother, Martina Hingis, Anna, Elton John, Billie Jean King, etc.)!

Omg! thank you! where do you guys get these things? The site sucks...haha

Deboogle!.
12-06-2005, 06:10 PM
in the schedule on their site, just look around by day.

Or at www.tvguide.com or also http://tv.zap2it.com you can get your listings and search for stuff :)

Gigan
12-08-2005, 01:04 AM
photo of december 7

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2005/12/07/PH2005120702025.jpg

wcr
12-08-2005, 01:57 AM
Steffi reminds me of Juju in these pics. .. :scratch: .. if i'm not wrong, She's Juju's idol, isn't she?

So I've heard. In fact, Justine was seated behind Graf during a US/AO flight and was too timid to go up and speak with her even though she'd already won a GS title. Graf found out about this later and said she wished Justine would have approached her.

roxomash4
12-08-2005, 09:54 AM
graf is da bomb

aggasi the deputy bomb

roddick hits bombs

and anna K .....is **** (not my fave WTA superstar ;) )

RogerRocks
12-08-2005, 10:10 AM
wow, how tall is andy? :eek:

Deboogle!.
12-08-2005, 02:43 PM
wow, how tall is andy? :eek:about 6'3 I think?

FaileBashere
09-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Anybody got a video for this? :)