Lee
12-02-2005, 05:13 AM
This is absolute fruitcake!!! :lol:

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/pics/breaking/1201coldstone.jpg

Anti-fruitcake signs stall traffic on 101

Michael Ferraresi
The Arizona Republic
Dec. 1, 2005 04:10 PM

SCOTTSDALE - Loop 101 traffic slowed to crawl during today's commute. But the delay was not from any grisly car accident.

Nope, the delay was caused by fruitcake - or, rather, by one Scottsdale company's campaign to boycott the holiday dessert.

Ice cream manufacturer Cold Stone Creamery decorated the exterior of its headquarters near Via de Ventura and the Loop 101 with "Fruitcake Freedom" banners, advertising its initiative to replace customers' fruitcakes with discounts on ice cream.

The signs that read "Down with fruitcake!" drew so much attention that drivers tapped their brakes and craned their necks to check them out.

Traffic was delayed for much of the morning commute, though the Arizona Department of Public Safety did not report any accidents on the Loop 101 in Scottsdale.

The morning distraction prompted officials with the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community to call and ask Cold Stone to pull its signs by Monday. The headquarters is located on the reservation, which borders Scottsdale.

Stephanie Ribodal, a Cold Stone spokeswoman, said the signs will be taken down - but the company achieved its goal in getting the attention of morning commuters.

Cold Stone received a lot of fruitcake feedback today, she said.

"Some called just to laugh, while others called us with concerns about how their commute times increased," Ribodal said.

"We did make our signs very large, and very easy to read, so it wouldn't cause any real problems on the freeway," she said.

Lee
12-02-2005, 05:14 AM
Oops! I put this in the wrong forum. Sorry admin. Please move this to it's rightful place.

SwissMister1
12-02-2005, 05:28 AM
There have been many less appropriate threads in GM - besides, Cold Stone Creamery is awesome! I didn't even know you guys had them out there - for some reason I thought they were only in the South.

Lee
12-02-2005, 05:34 AM
Cold Stone Creamery has stores everywhere here. Well, it's hot, hot, hot 10 out of 12 months of the year, why not! :lol:

Deboogle!.
12-02-2005, 05:48 AM
OMG That's hilarious!!! :worship: :lol: :haha:

I've been there before :D aw, I miss Scottsdale :sad: