AnthemLIVE Charity Tennis Match - Roddick vs. Blake [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

AnthemLIVE Charity Tennis Match - Roddick vs. Blake

Athy
12-02-2005, 03:54 AM
I know this should probably go in the exhibitions forum, but it turned out to be a good match rather than just an exhibition and I figured people would be interested to hear about Roddick's status since his injury :) I'm not sure how well-publicized this event was in other places outside of my area.

Blake organized the match to help raise money for cancer research and there were also two concerts, one before and one after, Gavin deGraw and John Mayer. it was annoying though because a lot of people just came for the music and didn't know about tennis etiquette so they just talked through the match! yeah, it's an exhibition, but still.

they played best 2 out of 3 sets, I was expecting it to be slow-paced and a lot of joking (the kind of "tennis" that happens when they play doubles with elton john or something like that). but it wasn't like that for the most part! they seemed pretty serious about it and they played for an hour and a half or maybe a little more. there were some excellent points, they both seemed to be trying very hard and it was fun to watch. Mardy Fish was the chair umpire which was interesting :p they did have official linespeople though.

it went to 3 sets, well they played two sets and then went to a super tiebreak which of course Blake won since it was his event! I think the score was 7-5 3-6 and then 7-5 in the tiebreak. the loser had to sing the theme from "top gun" on stage to a lucky girl from the audience and trust me, one thing Andy Roddick will not be doing anytime soon is releasing a CD :devil:

anyway it was a lot of fun and I just wanted to share my experience :wavey:

bellascarlett
12-02-2005, 06:36 AM
the loser had to sing the theme from "top gun" on stage to a lucky girl from the audience and trust me, one thing Andy Roddick will not be doing anytime soon is releasing a CD :devil:

anyway it was a lot of fun and I just wanted to share my experience :wavey:

:lol: top gun? thanks for sharing...seems like it was really fun...:)

MariaV
12-02-2005, 07:44 AM
Thanks for sharing. :D

prima donna
12-02-2005, 12:25 PM
I'd like to imagine Andy so desperately seeking Brad Gilbert's services, that he goes to any length to reinstate him and that's including bowing down on one knee in front of the entire USO Crowd (On Kid's Day), singing "I got you babe", by Sonny and Cher, to proclaim his love for the man that turned him (the one trick pony) into a respectably ranked player! :rolleyes:

cobalt60
12-02-2005, 01:01 PM
thanks. sounds like it was fun. Where was it held btw?

Athy
12-02-2005, 02:06 PM
the whole night was definitely worth it to see Andy Roddick down on one knee singing an 80s power ballad to some poor girl from the audience ;)

it was held at the ODU Ted Constant Convocation Center in Norfolk, Virginia. the goal was to raise $150,000 and $350,000 was raised so it was a really great event!

tangerine_dream
12-02-2005, 02:20 PM
Is the Roddick forum closed? :p

j/k Athy, thanks for the story. Glad you had a great time. :D

Deboogle!.
12-02-2005, 02:39 PM
Glad you had a good time, Athy :) How were the concerts.... i read John Mayer did an ACOUSTIC set :eek::drool:

always good to read about players doing good things for a good cause :)

Athy
12-02-2005, 05:36 PM
Glad you had a good time, Athy :) How were the concerts.... i read John Mayer did an ACOUSTIC set :eek::drool:

thank you! yeah he did an acoustic set and it was amazing :worship: he played 5 songs and the sound in the place was excellent, it's normally a basketball stadium so it was a good set up for an acoustic concert. Gavin deGraw played the piano and sang without accompaniment also...but I felt like all the songs he sang sounded exactly the same :o he's a good singer though, I'll give him that.

CooCooCachoo
12-02-2005, 07:05 PM
Thank you :D

williaer
12-02-2005, 10:43 PM
omg Athy, i'm so jealous!!! :)
was andy truely shocking?? what was the girls' face like (the one he was singing to)? was andy really trying to sing well or was he just making a dick of himself and laughing/singing??

glad you had a great time!!

Athy
12-03-2005, 02:28 AM
omg Athy, i'm so jealous!!! :)
was andy truely shocking?? what was the girls' face like (the one he was singing to)? was andy really trying to sing well or was he just making a dick of himself and laughing/singing??

he told the crowd to sing along with him but most people were too busy laughing at how awful he sounded to sing at first ;) he was pretty terrible! he wasn't laughing but he wasn't being serious either, he got down on one knee and kissed the girl's hand and even twirled around her etc. she was laughing the whole time.

there's a picture here but it doesn't really convey the real humor of the whole experience :p http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=96287&ran=235398

Deboogle!.
12-03-2005, 04:58 AM
thank you! yeah he did an acoustic set and it was amazing :worship: he played 5 songs and the sound in the place was excellent, it's normally a basketball stadium so it was a good set up for an acoustic concert. Gavin deGraw played the piano and sang without accompaniment also...but I felt like all the songs he sang sounded exactly the same :o he's a good singer though, I'll give him that.:eek: that sounds awesome. Acoustic music=:drool: (and yes, Gavin deGraw's stuff all sounds mostly the same :p)

Too bad TTC isn't showing this event like they're showing the one tonight in a couple weeks :(

Fergie
12-03-2005, 10:49 AM
Thanks for sharing :)

Xytraguptorh
12-03-2005, 11:18 AM
Charity sucks

Hola Mr. SK
12-03-2005, 11:28 AM
Another charity match for Andy Roddick? :eek:
:woohoo:The guy's really crazy at participating in all these charity matches, despite of the chance of injuries. He should really be awarded the final champion of Charity Tennis Match Tournament. :hatoff:

Deboogle!.
12-05-2005, 10:03 PM
Another charity match for Andy Roddick? :eek:
:woohoo:The guy's really crazy at participating in all these charity matches, despite of the chance of injuries. He should really be awarded the final champion of Charity Tennis Match Tournament. :hatoff:He does this every year, it's nothing new :) He always does at least 3-4 charity events on the off-season, including his own which is next weekend.

Anyway, I know that you were all just dying to see this :) :angel:

http://www.jamesblaketennis.com/05images/anthemlive/andyserenade.wmv

Athy
12-06-2005, 02:11 AM
Anyway, I know that you were all just dying to see this :) :angel:

http://www.jamesblaketennis.com/05images/anthemlive/andyserenade.wmv

you found it! :haha: it's as bad as it was in person, trust me! ;)