Why did Slovakia choose a hard surface for the final??? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why did Slovakia choose a hard surface for the final???

maryjane2
12-02-2005, 03:00 AM
am I the only one that thinks they have a better shot on clay?

Action Jackson
12-02-2005, 03:03 AM
Yes.

alfonsojose
12-02-2005, 03:23 AM
Not sure about Beck, but Hrbaty on clay :tape: Even i know that ;) Two years here have been really helpful :yeah: :o

Merton
12-02-2005, 03:25 AM
am I the only one that thinks they have a better shot on clay?

They won all their previous ties at home on that surface. Besides, it is not clear they would get any advantage on clay, since Beck could lose both his matches and they would lose in the doubles as well.

Grinder
12-02-2005, 03:27 AM
Not sure about Beck, but Hrbaty on clay :tape: Even i know that ;) Two years here have been really helpful :yeah: :o

It's the other way around. Hrbaty is good on clay, he reached the semis of Roland Garros, before going down to the eventual champion Agassi. Beck is pretty hopeless on clay.

Action Jackson
12-02-2005, 03:27 AM
Beck is rubbish on clay.

Action Jackson
12-02-2005, 03:28 AM
Hrbaty hasn't been good on clay for a long time, especially since he changed his forehand. There would have been no gain for Slovakia to play on clay.

jole
12-02-2005, 03:34 AM
GWH is correct.

Dominik's days of being best on clay are long since gone. He is still extremely competent on it though, and his fitness makes it a good surface for him. The way his game has evolved, however, makes medium paced hard courts his best surface.

Scotso
12-02-2005, 04:02 AM
Karol doesn't win on clay. Ever.

DrJules
12-02-2005, 10:27 AM
Problem for Slovakia is their surface preferences match the Croatian surface preferences.

Galaxystorm
12-02-2005, 10:36 AM
Is the same surface than in the previous ties against Spain, Argentina.... ??

That surface was carpet , not hard court , although Davis cup site said premier hard court blah blah blah ...

alfonsojose
12-02-2005, 02:12 PM
Hrbaty hasn't been good on clay for a long time, especially since he changed his forehand. There would have been no gain for Slovakia to play on clay.
His forehand is akward. His swing is :eek: How was it before?

thelma
12-02-2005, 02:13 PM
GWH is correct.

Dominik's days of being best on clay are long since gone. He is still extremely competent on it though, and his fitness makes it a good surface for him. The way his game has evolved, however, makes medium paced hard courts his best surface.

:yeah:

Horatio Caine
12-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Simple reason...

Beck's game is ineffective on clay and Ljubo and Ancic would gain more ground on him for their respective match - ups...not that it really matters now :rolleyes:

Kucera definitely wouldn't stand a chance on clay I don't think.

As GWH said, Hrbaty is no longer as good on clay as he was, although he probably would have stood more chance of beating Ljubo on the dirt.

LaTenista
12-02-2005, 03:17 PM
Kucera lost to Fish on clay in Slovak Republic two years ago in DC playoffs. :eek:

Beck lost to Roddick on day three of that tie. :tape:

Croatia is not that great on clay (esp. Karlovic) but Slovak Republic would still have lost as Beck and Kucera are definitely worse.

El Legenda
12-02-2005, 03:18 PM
so far so good.............for croatia.

TennisGrandSlam
12-02-2005, 03:29 PM
Hardcourt is good for Croaita !

maryjane2
12-02-2005, 09:56 PM
You guys are morons. Hrbaty may not be as good as he used to be on clay but he would still be a favorite to win both his singles matches and the clay would give the slovaks much more chances to return in doubles. The fact that beck blows on clay is irrelevant since he would be a big underdog anyway and in Kuceras case clay would definetly give him a better chance against 2 big servers that suck on clay.

maryjane2
12-02-2005, 09:59 PM
But I could be wrong and George Walker knows what he is talking about.

maryjane2
12-02-2005, 09:59 PM
NOT

almouchie
12-02-2005, 11:17 PM
over all its the better surface for them as a team
just as well since it suits the croatians even more
the surface factor is no longer an advantage to either

Jimnik
12-03-2005, 12:27 AM
I think Beck was the main reason for the choice of surface. Unfortunately, since he's not playing, clay might have been a better option because of Hrbaty. But I don't think it matters anyway. Croatia have a clear advantage over Slovakia's 2nd singles players. On clay, grass or wood, Ancic, Ljubicic, Ivanisevic and Karlovic would all beat Kucera - the surface can't help Slovakia anymore.

I would have enjoyed seeing the tie played on clay. It would have been like watching Argentina play Spain on grass.

maryjane2
12-03-2005, 01:52 AM
I really doubt karlovic could beat kucera on clay.

maryjane2
12-03-2005, 01:54 AM
and I hope you are not serious about Goran.

NyGeL
12-03-2005, 02:51 AM
I think Croatia is better in any surface, and this is the best one for slovakia, where they beat Argentina and Spain, so there's no need for a change.

Galaxystorm
12-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Is the same surface than in the previous ties against Spain, Argentina.... ??

That surface was carpet , not hard court , although Davis cup website said premier hard court blah blah blah ...

I couldn't watch the first two days , but watching now the match Ljubo-Hrbaty , the court is clearly carpet, not hard.

I was very surprised :cuckoo: about Slovakia changed the court that they have used in the previous ties, and as i guessed they haven't changed the court , it's the same carpet . ;)

It's only necessary to watch the ball bounce and court speed to notice that isn't a hard court :shrug: