Super 11? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Super 11?

Aphex
11-30-2005, 07:22 PM
I read in a book, 'Tennis off the record', the Super 9 tournaments were Super 11, the first year/years. Anyone know if this is true? In that case which were the additional two tournaments? I reckon Stuttgart Indoor was one of them since they've always had a big prize-money bundle, even before they took Essen's spot as a Super 9.
:wavey:

shotgun
12-05-2005, 02:45 AM
I know that the Tennis Masters Series was created in 1990, with 9 tournaments: Indian Wells, Key Biscayne (Miami), Monte Carlo, Rome, Hamburg, Montreal/Toronto, Cincinatti, Stockholm and Paris. In 1995, Stockholm was replaced by Essen. In 1996, Essen was replaced by Stuttgart. And in 2002, Stuttgart was replaced by Madrid.

shotgun
05-31-2006, 12:19 AM
I've done some research. Back in the 80's, there were a few Grand Prix tournaments that used to pay out more in terms of prize money than some of the current TMS tournaments then. Those were Philadelphia, Forrest Hills, Tokyo Outdoor, Tokyo Indoors, Wembley and Itaparica, amongst others. So one can assume that there were no official 'Super 11' tournaments back then. It's true that most of the current TMS tournaments used to pay out a bigger prize money than the average GP tournament back then, but Monte Carlo and Cincy were notable exceptions.