Instant replay to be used at US Open 06. According to Courier [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Instant replay to be used at US Open 06. According to Courier

El Legenda
11-28-2005, 05:38 PM
Courier: Implementation of replay is overdue

AP

LONDON -- Instant replay probably will be used at the U.S. Open to resolve disputed line calls next year.

Tournament committee member Jim Courier put the chances of the Open using the technology at 90 percent and said implementation of the replay is overdue in the sport.

"I think that's what we need to do to catch tennis up to the rest of the world of sport," he said Monday. "This is a step in the right direction."

Courier, a four-time Grand Slam champion, will be one of the first players to have access this week to "Hawk-Eye" technology during the Champions Tour's season-ending event at Royal Albert Hall.

Hawk-Eye uses cameras to track a tennis ball's trajectory to help check disputed line calls. It's been used in television broadcasts but not as an officiating aid.

"I'm a big proponent of Hawk-Eye," Courier said. "I think it's a wonderful addition, not only for the players, but more importantly for the fans."

The Hopman Cup next month in Perth, Australia, will become the first elite event to use Hawk-Eye. Courier joined the U.S. Open committee last year and is pushing for Hawk-Eye to be used by umpires at the final Grand Slam of the year.

The International Tennis Federation approved the latest version of Hawk-Eye after testing this month. The ATP and WTA tours are looking into which tournaments might use electronic line-calling and the specifics of what the rules will be.

Courier, who retired from tournament tennis at 29 in 2000, doesn't expect all players to like Hawk-Eye.

"Roger [Federer] has said unequivocally that he doesn't want Hawk-Eye, he doesn't want to change anything, but if you're playing as well as he is, you don't want to change your socks, your underwear, your girlfriend, your agent, anything," Courier said.

Among those joining Courier in the tournament here will be Sergi Bruguera, Pat Cash, Henri Leconte, Cedric Pioline and Mats Wilander. John McEnroe is in doubt with severe stomach flu, while Goran Ivanisevic withdrew to join Croatia's squad in the Davis Cup final against Slovakia.

thelma
11-28-2005, 05:44 PM
Good idea :)

DrJules
11-28-2005, 05:55 PM
has said unequivocally that he doesn't want Hawk-Eye, he doesn't want to change anything, but if you're playing as well as he is, you don't want to change your socks, your underwear, your girlfriend, your agent, anything," Courier said.

:haha: :haha: :haha:

El Legenda
11-28-2005, 07:02 PM
how will this be used? like in NFL where a coach/ or in this case a players gets 2 challenges :lol: or will a ump review every close call?

Billabong
11-28-2005, 09:22 PM
lol;)

Frank Winkler
11-28-2005, 09:45 PM
I sincerely hope its in the control of the umpire.
I dont want a player to have to worry about it.
I want the player to concentrate on playing tennis.

nobama
11-28-2005, 10:41 PM
Any pro players against it besides Fed? I know Davenport voiced some concerns, but only about accuracy. I don't think she was against it in principle.