Hopman Cup to use Hawk-Eye Officiating [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Hopman Cup to use Hawk-Eye Officiating

smucav
11-28-2005, 06:09 PM
http://www.itftennis.com/shared/medialibrary/pdf/original/IO_17861_original.PDFHopman Cup to use Hawk-Eye Officiating

The 2006 Hyundai Hopman Cup in Perth will be the first official tennis tournament to formally use the tennis technology Hawk-Eye Officiating during matches. The ITF has agreed that Hawk-Eye Officiating can be used at its official mixed teams championship, with the system allowing players to challenge point-ending line calls similar to the case at clay court tournaments.

Dr Stuart Miller, ITF Technical Manager, said: “This result reflects the hard work put in by both Hawk-Eye and our committee over the past year.”

The Hawk-Eye system has been in use for three years, but previously only as a guide to television viewers and as an analytical tool for commentators. Large video screens at the end of the court will display the outcome direct to the spectators in the Dome.

Tournament Director Paul McNamee said: “Hopman Cup has always been an innovative tournament. It was the first elite level event to introduce electronic line-calling 12 years ago and now the first to introduce this technological advance.”

Leo
12-29-2005, 05:57 PM
"Large video screens at the end of the court will display the outcome direct to the spectators in the Dome."

Wow. :eek: Could get ugly.

12-31-2005, 01:37 AM
"Large video screens at the end of the court will display the outcome direct to the spectators in the Dome."

Wow. :eek: Could get ugly.
Yes, but I'm glad the Tournament is giving Hawk-Eye a try :)

Deboogle!.
12-31-2005, 02:33 AM
Sounds like it was used yesterday in the playoff and that it worked pretty well :D:yeah:

Neely
12-31-2005, 08:03 AM
I'm only a bit doubtful about the technology and how exact and reliable it is. But I welcome the decision that they are trying to look for occassional technical help where the human eye is not sufficient anymore. Anything that lets a match take place with less officiating errors is good. :yeah:

linus
12-31-2005, 08:36 AM
yea, i agree with Neely guy ;)

better veracity and less artificial errors which is worthy of advocation :)

Breaker
12-31-2005, 08:58 AM
Definately worked well today, providing entertainment for both players and spectators

smucav
12-31-2005, 05:42 PM
http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=14475&bannerregion=History made with Overrule Overrule
By Tennis Week
12/30/2005

Michaella Krajicek, a name to remember for a bar bet of the future, became the first player to initiate an electronic review in ITF-sanctioned play.

The “historic” event took place in the third game of the opening set as the Dutch 16-year-old was serving in women’s singles to China’s Shuai Peng in Hyundai Hopman Cup qualifying play. Krajicek and partner Peter Wessels competed against Peng and partner Peng Sun for the eighth slot in the event’s 18th year.

Pascal Maria, sitting in the chair, overruled the linesman’s call that Peng’s return was out. Urged on by her coach and some excited fans, Krajicek brought a television staple onto the court of play. A bit demurely, she requested a look at the call by Hawk-Eye, the ball-tracking system approved in October by the ITF — and in place at the Hopman Cup for the first time since that announcement — for on-court review of disputed calls.

To the satisfaction of observers, Hawk-Eye confirmed Krajicek’s vision of where the ball landed superior to Maria’s and the former junior No. 1 was rewarded with the point. Although Peng lost that point, she did capture the match 6-3, 4-6, 6-3 and had no complaints later with the innovation, “Yeah, I really liked it, because sometimes the umpire can’t see whether it is good or in, so if they can have a look at this, it is really good.”

Hawk-Eye was called on throughout the remainder of the day as Wessels went on to defeat Sun 6-2, 6-2 and with the Dutch defeat of the Chinese 6-4, 6-4 in mixed doubles play to gain entry into Group B.

Home team Australia takes on Germany next as Group B round robin play commences (Argentina is the other team in the group). Group A action will begin with the U.S. taking on Serbia and Montenegro (teams from Sweden and Russia fill out the group.

Play at the Burswood Dome in Perth, Australia, continues throughout the week with the winner of Group A taking on their Group B counterpart Friday, January 6, 2006 (check television listings for coverage) to determine the champion. Action can also be followed via the web at www.hopmancup.com.au

Deboogle!.
12-31-2005, 06:35 PM
Definately worked well today, providing entertainment for both players and spectatorsGood to hear :yeah:

peteslamz
01-02-2006, 03:16 PM
What if the player who challenged to use the hawk-eye and it turned out that the linesmen's call was really right, will she/he lose a point or anything? (Like in American Football wherein if they would challenge the call but if it didn't go to their favor, they will lose one time-out)... because using hawk-eye is fair but may also turn around one's momentum. And is there any limitations on the number of times a player can challenge a call? :)

krystlel
01-03-2006, 12:25 AM
What if the player who challenged to use the hawk-eye and it turned out that the linesmen's call was really right, will she/he lose a point or anything? (Like in American Football wherein if they would challenge the call but if it didn't go to their favor, they will lose one time-out)... because using hawk-eye is fair but may also turn around one's momentum. And is there any limitations on the number of times a player can challenge a call? :)
No, they won't lose a point if the linesmen's call was right.
There are no limitations to a player challenging a call, but the umpire has the right to refuse the challenge if they believe that the call was clearly correct.

Becarina
01-03-2006, 01:53 PM
seems to work well and it doesnt take more than a few seconds to complete the challenge :yeah:

jirobkk
01-04-2006, 01:40 AM
seems to work well and it doesnt take more than a few seconds to complete the challenge :yeah:

http://www.jirobkk.com/album/Hopman_Cup_18th/30_Dec_2005_Part_1/img_9361.jpg

Yes it worked well. providing entertainment for the players and spectators. There are also no limitations to a player challenging a call. The hawk-eye screen also shows how many inches that the ball touch the line.

Nikolas Kiefer embarrassed many time after he asked for the challenge but the linecalls were correct. Yesterday the hawk-eye helped Samantha Stosor to win the match in two set. Samantha won the first set 6-4. Krajicek had one set point in the tie break and should have took the second set but Samantha asked for the challenge on that important point. And the linecall was not correct.

peteslamz
01-04-2006, 03:09 PM
I watched the Gaudio-Wessels matchin TV. There was a time where Gaston challenge a call (a service ace by Wessels) but the hawk eye thing took a lot of time before it came out on the screen. Well, it turned out to be on Gaudio's favor but it definitely distracted Wessel's concentration because of the long wait and anticipation. But I must say it has its pros and cons. ;)

Reamer
01-05-2006, 12:49 AM
Hawkeye rocks! :worship:

anye
01-05-2006, 01:44 AM
I think the use of HAWK-EYE ih the tennis tournaments is very bad!

Reamer
01-05-2006, 03:02 AM
I think the use of HAWK-EYE ih the tennis tournaments is very bad!

Yeah, let's get rid of it and whilst we're at it bring back wooden racquets, white tennis balls, let court judges and long trousers. :smash:

stonkvflash
01-05-2006, 03:42 AM
Hawkeye rocks! :worship:

reamer, i assume you are taking the piss with that avatar.

:rolleyes: