Who do you most want to win their first Grand Slam in 2006 and why? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who do you most want to win their first Grand Slam in 2006 and why?

Clara Bow
11-28-2005, 01:26 AM
This is not about who do you think will in 2006- but who do you most want to.

For me- I would love for David Nalbandian to win his first GS in 2006. Why? Because I think he has some of the most solid ground strokes in the game. I think he is one of the best return of servers in the game. He is an all court player. He does well in all of the GGs. I think his talent far outreaches what his number of titles would indicate. I think he plays smart tennis when he is on. Granted- he doesn't have the best serve- by far. But I think the rest of his game is some of the best. I hope that the MC got him over his brain farts and he wins his first GS soon.

sigmagirl91
11-28-2005, 01:28 AM
I hope so, too, Clara. It would be nice.

Scotso
11-28-2005, 02:48 AM
Karol Beck.

prima donna
11-28-2005, 02:50 AM
It's not his first GS, but I would like Roger to win his FIRST ROLAND GARROS., this would put him ahead of Sampras and guarantee him a spot on the Top 3 players of all-time, along side Laver & Borg.

Federerthebest
11-28-2005, 02:53 AM
No one! I want Roger win grand slam!

missbungle
11-28-2005, 03:03 AM
I agree with Clara, David Nalbandian.

Scotso
11-28-2005, 03:43 AM
It's not his first GS, but I would like Roger to win his FIRST ROLAND GARROS., this would put him ahead of Sampras and guarantee him a spot on the Top 3 players of all-time, along side Laver & Borg.

That's nice. It's nice to know that you guys can manage to bring Federer up even in threads that can't possibly be related to him in any way at all.

cedez
11-28-2005, 03:44 AM
After all he's been through, I'd love to see James Blake win a GS in 2006.

Federerthebest
11-28-2005, 04:09 AM
Karol Beck.

Aren't you setting your sights a bit high for Beck to win a grand-slam? Perhaps instead you should be wishing for Beck to win his first tournament...:lol:

PamV
11-28-2005, 04:19 AM

For me- I would love for David Nalbandian to win his first GS in 2006. Why? Because I think he has some of the most solid ground strokes in the game. I think he is one of the best return of servers in the game. He is an all court player. He does well in all of the GGs. I think his talent far outreaches what his number of titles would indicate. I think he plays smart tennis when he is on. Granted- he doesn't have the best serve- by far. But I think the rest of his game is some of the best. I hope that the MC got him over his brain farts and he wins his first GS soon.

My first choice would be for Federer to win any and all of the 4 majors in 2006. So I can't think in terms of wanting someone else to win anything.

As for Nalbandian, I think his problem in 2005 was mostly physical not mental as you suggest. If anyone were to win his first major in 2006 then Nalbandian would be a good candidate. He's likeable and a good sport.

PamV
11-28-2005, 04:22 AM
That's nice. It's nice to know that you guys can manage to bring Federer up even in threads that can't possibly be related to him in any way at all.

I don't know how you can say Fed can't be related to this thread. The mere suggestion that we are supposed to say who we want to win his first major causes me to say.....wait a minute how can I hope someone else wins a major that could otherwise be won by Federer? I am not going to blindly fall into that trap.

Scotso
11-28-2005, 04:22 AM
Aren't you setting your sights a bit high for Beck to win a grand-slam? Perhaps instead you should be wishing for Beck to win his first tournament...:lol:

Well since it said "who do you most want" and he is my favorite player, naturally I picked him.

Of course, we can't all be so lucky as to have our favorite player be #1! But then you probably picked him after he was #1. First you bring up Federer in a thread that doesn't apply to him... and then you attack me for selecting my favorite player in a thread that basically asks who your favorite player is. Way to be an idiot.

Scotso
11-28-2005, 04:24 AM
I don't know how you can say Fed can't be related to this thread. The mere suggestion that we are supposed to say who we want to win his first major causes me to say.....wait a minute how can I hope someone else wins a major that could otherwise be won by Federer? I am not going to blindly fall into that trap.

It's a conspiracy against Federer! :rolleyes:

You people really need to get out of stalk mode for just a few minutes.

GonzoFan
11-28-2005, 05:44 AM
Fernando Gonzalez of course! because he is my favorite player and I would love to see him winning a Grand Slam! :D and I hope he will :D

Silawen
11-28-2005, 05:59 AM
Definately David. :)

Oh and to the FedFans in this thread, you need to take a chillpill. The question was which player would you like to win his first Grand Slam, so of those that haven't already.
This does not concern Federer, even if you are his biggest fan you should be able to pick a fave between the players that haven't won a Slam yet.
It's not like you're deserting Fed by making such a choice. He'll win more.

Aerien
11-28-2005, 06:04 AM
Joachim Johansson :cool:

AO, Wimbledon or USO are believable goals, then again if Verkerk can get to the FO final.......

ExpectedWinner
11-28-2005, 06:22 AM
So I can't think in terms of wanting someone else to win anything.

You can't think, period. :devil:

Gasquet. French players haven't won a GS for a long time. Also, it'd create a nice rivalry between "baby balls" and "new balls". I do realize that he's a little green for this achievement.

Hola Mr. SK
11-28-2005, 06:45 AM
David Nalbandian :worship:
I'm sure he gained a lot of confidence in winning TMC.It'll help him win at least 1 GS title in 2006.
If I could pick another one,I'd choose Coria to claim FO title in 2006.Its so sad to see him losing the final in 2004.He'd have won that match if he was physically fine.
OK,the other two for Roger or Marat. :wavey:

Puschkin
11-28-2005, 06:48 AM
Gasquet. French players haven't won a GS for a long time.

I agree, it does not necessarily have to be Roland Garros, though ;) .

landoud
11-28-2005, 06:58 AM
Nalby ofcourse... he needs a slam tittle and he will get it

*Ljubica*
11-28-2005, 09:07 AM
OK - I know it's unlikely - but I want Mariano Puerta to be totally exonerated from all these allegations and come back to win Roland Garros - prove all the critics wrong. As I said - probably completely unlikely but this is supposed to be a thread about who we WANT to win - not who we think And a girl can dream can't she...............?

DrJules
11-28-2005, 09:17 AM
Tim Henman to win Wimbledon. Year after year the newspapers in England promote him as England's only hope and then ridicule him when he loses. I would like him to have the last laugh. I do not hink he will though even though he has reached the semi-final 4 times.

*Ljubica*
11-28-2005, 11:23 AM
Tim Henman to win Wimbledon. Year after year the newspapers in England promote him as England's only hope and then ridicule him when he loses. I would like him to have the last laugh. I do not hink he will though even though he has reached the semi-final 4 times.

Yes I agree, that would be great - and about as unlikely as my dream :sad:

Horatio Caine
11-28-2005, 11:31 AM
Please, God, let it be Henman.

Any slam - I don't care! ...and I doubt he does either! :lol:

DrJules
11-28-2005, 11:44 AM
Please, God, let it be Henman.

Any slam - I don't care! ...and I doubt he does either! :lol:

At least in 2006 Tim can hide in the shadow of Andy Murray at Wimbledon; Henmania will be replaced by Murraymania and Henman Hill will become Murraymount.

Fergie
11-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Fernando Gonzalez, because he has the game to do it! :)

Dollars & Cents
11-28-2005, 11:50 AM
Still think the hill should remain as 'Henman Hill'.

So, after all isn't having part of a Grand Slam venue (as prestigious as Wimbledon) named after you better than winning? ;)

Back to the thread, probably Blake or Ginepri to win the US Open to inject that excitement back into US tennis public.

adee-gee
11-28-2005, 11:52 AM
Anyone that suggested Federer in this thread - :retard:

I'd go along with the Henman call, he deserves it more than anyone else that hasn't won a slam. People like Nalbandian, Coria etc have plenty of time on their side, and this is probably Tim's last year where he has even a slim possiblity of winning a slam. It's highly unlikely he can win one, but he's got more of a chance than Karol Beck :p

Horatio Caine
11-28-2005, 11:55 AM
Anyone that suggested Federer in this thread - :retard:

I'd go along with the Henman call, he deserves it more than anyone else that hasn't won a slam. People like Nalbandian, Coria etc have plenty of time on their side, and this is probably Tim's last year where he has even a slim possiblity of winning a slam. It's highly unlikely he can win one, but he's got more of a chance than Karol Beck :p

I don't think Coria will ever win one now...unless Nadal and a few other stronger clay players don't make it to RG one year.

I'm surprised you didn't say PHM :lol: :yeah:

adee-gee
11-28-2005, 11:58 AM
I don't think Coria will ever win one now...unless Nadal and a few other stronger clay players don't make it to RG one year.

I'm surprised you didn't say PHM :lol: :yeah:
PHM also has time on his side, he'll win one soon :p

Coria is still one of the best in the world on clay in my opinion. Only Nadal probably would be a firm favourite to beat him. Federer has a slight edge on him even on clay, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Coria beating him. I don't really see anyone else that Coria isn't capable of beating on clay if he puts his mind to it.

Exodus
11-28-2005, 12:01 PM
James Blake coz he is such a nice guy and has the potential to do it

gooner88
11-28-2005, 12:24 PM

Nalbo for me too for all the reasons Clara stated. :)
I'd also add Tim aswell. It would be great if he could do a Goran and win Wimbledon after everyone's written him off. Highly unlikely but we can all dream. :angel:

BelgianWaffle
11-28-2005, 12:27 PM
Henman and Ollie Rochus ;)

lorenz
11-28-2005, 01:27 PM
David Nalbandian !!!
Of course !!! He has an excellent tennis!!

kabuki
11-28-2005, 02:29 PM
Nalby and Blake.

enqvistfan
11-28-2005, 03:21 PM
Fernando Gonzalez. He has the potential to win one grand slam !!
Gonzo has good chances if he has a good draw, if he doesn't have Federer or Nalby in his draw. If it's not in 2006, it will be in 2007. Fingers crossed !!

star
11-28-2005, 04:20 PM
Coria! :angel:

GonzoFan
11-28-2005, 05:57 PM
Fernando Gonzalez. He has the potential to win one grand slam !!
Gonzo has good chances if he has a good draw, if he doesn't have Federer or Nalby in his draw. If it's not in 2006, it will be in 2007. Fingers crossed !!

:yeah:

Jimnik
11-28-2005, 06:20 PM
Nalba, because he's worthy of a grand slam title.

Deivid23
11-28-2005, 06:20 PM
I would like Nadal to win another grand slam because he´s the greatest, blah, blah, blah ....:lol: Looks like some posters can´t write a post without talking about Federer... :retard:

My vote goes to....... Berdych, Nalbandian, Gasquet, summarizing anyone whose game I fancy.

LaTenista
11-28-2005, 06:35 PM
I'd love it if Blake would win the USO and Ferrer RG because they are both nice guys and fight out on court, coming off their best seasons on tour, etc.

Jimnik
11-28-2005, 06:41 PM
How about this:
Berdych wins the Aus Open
Davydenko wins Roland Garros
Ancic wins Wimbledon
Nalbandian wins the US Open

4 new champions :bigclap:

adee-gee
11-28-2005, 06:43 PM
How about this:
Berdych wins the Aus Open
Davydenko wins Roland Garros
Ancic wins Wimbledon
Nalbandian wins the US Open

4 new champions :bigclap:
More chance of Saddam Hussein becoming next President of America :o

Drimal
11-28-2005, 07:23 PM
Guillermo Coria - Roland Garros :worship:

... because he nearly won it in 2004! :sad: :angel:

lucashg
11-28-2005, 07:58 PM
Coria, Gasquet and Henman. I wanna see Berdych, Murray and even Nalbandian do well enough to win GS titles and I'm sure at least one of them will, but Guille, Richie and Tim first. :p

Coria to win RG, Henman to win Wimbledon and Gasquet can choose between AO and the USO.

AgassiDomination
11-28-2005, 08:09 PM
Nalby, Blake or Henman :)

Pigpen Stinks
11-28-2005, 08:16 PM
Karsten Braasch. Failing that, I wouldn't mind seeing Nalby grab one. It would be well deserved. I like Tursunov as a long shot pick.

jazz_girl
11-28-2005, 09:10 PM
David :)
I also like Blake, and even though I'm not a Henman fan at all, it would be nice to see him winning Wimby ;)

PinkFeatherBoa
11-28-2005, 10:05 PM
Coria, Gasquet and Henman. I wanna see Berdych, Murray and even Nalbandian do well enough to win GS titles and I'm sure at least one of them will, but Guille, Richie and Tim first. :p

Coria to win RG, Henman to win Wimbledon and Gasquet can choose between AO and the USO.

I was going to pick the exact same players- Henman, Gasquet and Coria.

I like the slam choices for the players- I'd give Richard the USO (since he won't play the AO next year) and then Blake can have the AO.
Alas, I don't see this ever happening. I doubt whether 3 of these guys will even ever get a slam. :(

soraya
11-29-2005, 04:16 AM

If that happens, he will die right then and there

PamV
11-29-2005, 04:19 AM
You can't think, period. :devil:

Gasquet. French players haven't won a GS for a long time. Also, it'd create a nice rivalry between "baby balls" and "new balls". I do realize that he's a little green for this achievement.

As usual you want to be a mean mouthed dictator! If this thread is about who we most want to win and I am a Federer fan, what's wrong with being honest and saying that my first choice is always Federer to win?

PamV
11-29-2005, 04:24 AM
It's a conspiracy against Federer! :rolleyes:

You people really need to get out of stalk mode for just a few minutes.

I think people need to stop telling others what they can post in any given thread. I was just proving my point that Federer was related to the topic FOR ME. Why put limits on what a person's opinion is allowed to be?

BAMJ6
11-29-2005, 05:18 AM
James Blake

ExpectedWinner
11-29-2005, 05:43 AM
As usual you want to be a mean mouthed dictator! If this thread is about who we most want to win and I am a Federer fan, what's wrong with being honest and saying that my first choice is always Federer to win?

:haha:

Learn to read and count from 0 to 6. This thread is about who we want to win their FIRST GS

Mechlan
11-29-2005, 07:50 AM
Coria and Nalbandian. Berdych is a bit of a long shot, but it'd be great if he could win one.

breakingthehabit
11-29-2005, 09:43 AM
Nalby or Blake and (if i may say this, knowing some ppl don't like him) davydenko

prima donna
11-29-2005, 10:14 AM
It would most benefit the ATP if Richard Gasquet or Berdych were to win a slam, 2 charismatic youngsters with a game that is advanced beyond the Junior levels of elementary style level of play, consisting of brude power; combined with smart tactical play, as opposed to that which is preferred by others, a mentality which embraces defensive tennis and moonballs, both hard on the eye and a cancer to the tennis world, sadly.

The Frenchman, Gasquet has more finesse and shot-making ability than anyone on tour, aside from the elder Roger Federer whom is only slightly superior and possesses more variety in his game. It is a pity indeed to see that such brilliant talent was dismantled in 2005 at the USO against Ginepri, he was simply outlasted and beaten in a game of Marathon running and not tennis.

On the other hand, Berdych possesses a killer instinct and has shown that not only once, but twice, can he disrupt the armor of Rafael Nadal, a player which will surely have to look behind his back if the talent of Tomas manifests itself, a player with the capability to be successful on each surface, with improved movement it would be rather pleasant to see him win some event like the Australian Open.

It is good for tennis for Federer to maintain his dominance to an extent, but to have one such as Gasquet or Berdych showcase their talent and possibly build a rivalry, sooner than later, for the sake of tennis galleries worldwide.

its.like.that
11-29-2005, 11:30 AM
It would most benefit the ATP if Richard Gasquet or Berdych were to win a slam, 2 charismatic youngsters with a game that is advanced beyond the Junior levels of elementary style level of play, consisting of brude power; combined with smart tactical play, as opposed to that which is preferred by others, a mentality which embraces defensive tennis and moonballs, both hard on the eye and a cancer to the tennis world, sadly.

The Frenchman, Gasquet has more finesse and shot-making ability than anyone on tour, aside from the elder Roger Federer whom is only slightly superior and possesses more variety in his game. It is a pity indeed to see that such brilliant talent was dismantled in 2005 at the USO against Ginepri, he was simply outlasted and beaten in a game of Marathon running and not tennis.

On the other hand, Berdych possesses a killer instinct and has shown that not only once, but twice, can he disrupt the armor of Rafael Nadal, a player which will surely have to look behind his back if the talent of Tomas manifests itself, a player with the capability to be successful on each surface, with improved movement it would be rather pleasant to see him win some event like the Australian Open.

It is good for tennis for Federer to maintain his dominance to an extent, but to have one such as Gasquet or Berdych showcase their talent and possibly build a rivalry, sooner than later, for the sake of tennis galleries worldwide.

Gasquet - charismatic? :lol:

ClaycourtaZzZz.
11-29-2005, 11:38 AM
Murray.

DrJules
11-29-2005, 11:52 AM
Gasquet - charismatic? :lol:

His tennis is among the best to watch and tends to enhance his image.

its.like.that
11-29-2005, 12:02 PM
His tennis is among the best to watch and tends to enhance his image.

:retard:

what you said makes no sense, but since when does good tennis = charisma?

was Sampras charismatic? does Ljubicic have an ounce of charisma?

No.

DrJules
11-29-2005, 12:08 PM
:retard:

what you said makes no sense, but since when does good tennis = charisma?

was Sampras charismatic? does Ljubicic have an ounce of charisma?

No.

Flair, imagination, creativity and the way you do things.

[Charismatic adj. inspiring enthusiasm]

its.like.that
11-29-2005, 12:48 PM
Flair, imagination, creativity and the way you do things.

[Charismatic adj. inspiring enthusiasm]

well if you can see charisma in Gasquet,

then you must see a huge serve in Volandri as well.

adee-gee
11-29-2005, 12:52 PM
Charismatic - belonging or relating to various groups within the Christian Church who believe that God gives people special powers, such as the ability to heal others and to speak to him in a special language. :p

http://www.freesearch.co.uk/dictionary/charismatic

Deea
11-29-2005, 12:53 PM
Tomas Berdych - wins the USO and Guillermo Coria RG! :yeah:

Action Jackson
11-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Gasquet is a fine player and just because he is French, does not automatically mean he is charismatic.

DrJules
11-29-2005, 02:42 PM
Charismatic - belonging or relating to various groups within the Christian Church who believe that God gives people special powers, such as the ability to heal others and to speak to him in a special language. :p

http://www.freesearch.co.uk/dictionary/charismatic

:lol: :lol: :lol: