MURRAY (SCO) bt RUSEDSKI (ENG) 4-6 6-4 10-1 (CTB) to win the Aberdeen Cup! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

MURRAY (SCO) bt RUSEDSKI (ENG) 4-6 6-4 10-1 (CTB) to win the Aberdeen Cup!

MrExcel
11-27-2005, 09:34 PM
Go Andy!

Greg was injured, but still a great win for Scotland in the very first Aberdeen Cup!

:)

adee-gee
11-27-2005, 09:41 PM
Scotland *clap* *clap* *clap*

Andy :yeah: makes up for yesterday :D

gooner88
11-27-2005, 09:41 PM
Aberdeen Cup :yawn:

MrExcel
11-27-2005, 09:45 PM

It's better than most 'one day, one match exhibitions'

adee-gee
11-27-2005, 09:46 PM
Typical English. Once they lose, it doesn't matter :rolleyes:

gooner88
11-27-2005, 09:51 PM

:lol:
I couldn't care less about the result. I watched a bit yesterday and I found it really boring.
Anyway well done Scotland; *trying to be polite*. ;) :devil:

MrExcel
11-27-2005, 09:57 PM
:lol:
I couldn't care less about the result. I watched a bit yesterday and I found it really boring.

Yes I suppose anything other than a Federer-Nadal final is boring... the term 'broaden your horizons' springs to mind!

Horatio Caine
11-27-2005, 09:58 PM
:lol: Well done Andy...but I think Greg was going to kick your ass again though ;)

adee-gee
11-27-2005, 09:59 PM
You failed miserably :ras:

adee-gee
11-27-2005, 10:01 PM
:lol: Well done Andy...but I think Greg was going to kick your ass again though ;)
Commiserations Jez, its not your fault you're English :p

Can we have a "well done Scotland" rather than "well done Andy" I believe this was a team event.

gooner88
11-27-2005, 10:04 PM
Yes I suppose anything other than a Federer-Nadal final is boring... the term 'broaden your horizons' springs to mind!

I've watched many exhibitions in the past and most of them have been entertaining to watch. Just because I didin't enjoy this one I suddenly need to 'broaden my horizons'. :rolleyes:
Or do I always have to agree with you......

MrExcel
11-27-2005, 10:09 PM
I've watched many exhibitions in the past and most of them have been entertaining to watch. Just because I didin't enjoy this one I suddenly need to 'broaden my horizons'. :rolleyes:
Or do I always have to agree with you......

No I just find it annoying the way so many people need to spoil the party. I started the thread so people could be happy about it and talk about it. Merely saying 'Aberdeen Cup - yawn' isn't very helpful to anyone. Fair enough, you found it boring, surely you could just bite your lip for the sake of others.

gooner88
11-27-2005, 10:13 PM
No I just find it annoying the way so many people need to spoil the party. I started the thread so people could be happy about it and talk about it. Merely saying 'Aberdeen Cup - yawn' isn't very helpful to anyone. Fair enough, you found it boring, surely you could just bite your lip for the sake of others.

I could do that but GM is also a place for people to express their opinions freely.
My first post was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek and sarcastic, not to put a dampner on things.

adee-gee
11-27-2005, 10:16 PM
Can't we just rejoice in Scotland's victory over England :p

Sweet4Richard
11-27-2005, 10:17 PM
Andy :yeah:

MrExcel
11-27-2005, 10:20 PM
I could do that but GM is also a place for people to express their opinions freely.
My first post was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek and sarcastic, not to put a dampner on things.

Well people usually say a little more when expressing an opinion, it seemed much more like a dampner, but fair enough, I shall just bite my lip on this one

DrJules
11-27-2005, 10:28 PM
Can't we just rejoice in Scotland's victory over England :p

Enjoy, it is a very rare event. :devil:

MrExcel
11-27-2005, 10:31 PM
Enjoy, it is a very rare event. :devil:

:D When was the last time?!

Billabong
11-27-2005, 10:39 PM
;)

decrepitude
11-27-2005, 11:35 PM

I don't think that is typically English. I am English, and quite happy to say, "Well done Scotland". Even if Greg hadn't been injured, we wouldn't have won, only drawn. I didn't see the matches (no Sky) but I have been in touch with people who were there, and apparently Jamie Murray and Elena Baltacha played very well indeed. Maybe the fact that I support Andy helps to sweeten the pill. . .

Duncan
11-27-2005, 11:45 PM
Well done Scotland :D

Corey Feldman
11-28-2005, 12:54 AM
Just what we knew all along..
Scotland are the best of British :)!

Kristen
11-28-2005, 06:34 AM
woot! Go Scotland! Why can I be patriotic for my heritage, but not my place of birth :scratch: Having said this, I am not keen on Murray, but glad that Scotland took the win :D

gooner88
11-28-2005, 12:16 PM
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/tennis/story/0,10069,1652341,00.html

Now this is what I call putting a dampner on things....

Let us not be mealy-mouthed. This weekend's event was a made-for-television piece of frippery which gave the Scottish public the chance to see Murray at the end of an extraordinary year in which he has risen from outside the world's top 400 to No65. The rest was incidental.

There was the Scotland v England element to it all, but the British tennis cupboard is so horribly bare that surely no amount of hype could convince anybody that they were watching - with the exception of Rusedski and Murray, and a little bit of Elena Baltacha - anything other than domestic play of the sort that Wimbledon normally spits out in the first couple of rounds.

No doubt he will look back on this weekend's flummery with a degree of amusement during the years to come; it would be no surprise if the inaugural Aberdeen Cup were the last.

DrJules
11-28-2005, 12:26 PM
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/tennis/story/0,10069,1652341,00.html

Now this is what I call putting a dampner on things....

Let us not be mealy-mouthed. This weekend's event was a made-for-television piece of frippery which gave the Scottish public the chance to see Murray at the end of an extraordinary year in which he has risen from outside the world's top 400 to No65. The rest was incidental.

There was the Scotland v England element to it all, but the British tennis cupboard is so horribly bare that surely no amount of hype could convince anybody that they were watching - with the exception of Rusedski and Murray, and a little bit of Elena Baltacha - anything other than domestic play of the sort that Wimbledon normally spits out in the first couple of rounds.

No doubt he will look back on this weekend's flummery with a degree of amusement during the years to come; it would be no surprise if the inaugural Aberdeen Cup were the last.

Actually British tennis is probably currently its most healthy for years with potentially 3 players in the top 50 early next year. However, 2 will retire soon. Of course, the event did lack the English/British number 1 Tim Henman.

adee-gee
11-28-2005, 12:31 PM
Was the person that wrote that article English by and chance :rolleyes:

Scotso
11-28-2005, 01:24 PM
Yay Andrew :D

adee-gee
11-28-2005, 03:42 PM
Okay, so we know who the best Scottish and English tennis players are... But do we know who the best Manx and Welsh players are? :angel:
Welsh = Ian Flanagan :rocker2: :rocker2: :rocker2: