All Praise Ferrero: Part 3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

All Praise Ferrero: Part 3

iliketennis
11-27-2005, 07:13 AM
At the beginning of the year, I started an all praise Ferrero thread in acknowledgement of his number 90 ranking. Look how far Juanqui has come since then! Year end top 20 for the 5th time in 6 years.

Here are a few highlights from JCF's amazing season:

Finalist (2): Vienna, Barcelona
Semifinalist (2): Beijing, ATP Masters Series Monte Carlo
Quarterfinalist (4): Bastad, Halle, Umag, Palermo

Notable Scalps:
Nalbandian x2
Safin x2
Coria
Gaudio
Davydenko

Ferrero doubled his match wins from 2004 and made an incredible rise from 98-18 in the entry rankings. He also went top 20 in the champions race.

:worship: :worship:

Chloe le Bopper
11-27-2005, 07:32 AM
You know, as hard as I try to get excited about this... I just end up in giggles. I'm sorry.

You're a dear from trying though!

Lalitha
11-27-2005, 08:41 AM
Well Becky..... Hope keeps one going!

Federerthebest
11-27-2005, 09:06 AM
Yes, Ferrero seems to be settling into the rank of second-tier player quite nicely.

propi
11-27-2005, 10:10 AM
:worship:
Vamos Juanqui, you should be completely fine for 2.006 :worship:

VamosRafael
11-27-2005, 12:40 PM
Vamos Juany. He will return to the top ten next year :)

Jimnik
11-27-2005, 12:42 PM
Well, I appreciate everyone's positive attitude but was this season really so great for him? Comparing it to his 2004 season is pointless because he spent the whole year with injuries and illnesses. It sounds great to say that he climbed up the rankings from 96 to 18 but the real comparison should be with where he was in 2003.

As harsh as it may seem, JC had no excuses for not winning a single tournament this year. He played Nadal 4 times and lost every single time. He played Federer twice and lost both. When Safin came back in 2004, he moved staright back into the top 10 by the end of the year and won 2 Masters Series titles.

I suppose it could have been worse. I would label this year as a good progress year but he has to do better next year. Realistically, he needs to win 1 or 2 titles and progress to the semis or better of Roland Garros.

Haute
11-28-2005, 12:41 AM
What are you talking about no title? Hello...Go-Kart Champion in Vienna. :lol: ;)

It may have not been a great season, but it was still a pretty decent season for him considering what he had been through the past year. He still has a long way to go before he can rightfully be back up in the top echelon, but he's making progress. No title this year, but 2 finals at least against two players who were playing at their best on the surfaces. If it hadn't been Nadal and Ivan in those finals, he probably would have walked away this year with at least 2 titles.

I do see a lot of parallels between his situation and Venus' (and not just because they're my two favorite players ;)). Similarly to Vee, I do think his game is still there, but there's some mental block preventing him from playing at his best. I think the same thing will need to happen to him as what happened to Venus in order for him to get back on track; there needs to be some devastating loss against a player he typically would beat to give him a wake up call (i.e., Venus' loss to Karatantcheva at Roland Garros).

iliketennis
11-28-2005, 05:23 AM
I think it was a good year. He just needed to consolidate his position in the top 20 so next year he will be able to crack the top 10 again.

Jimnik
11-28-2005, 06:45 AM
Like I said, this was a year of good prgress but it was still not good enough. He can't settle for a ranking of 18 next year, he must get back into the top 10. Now that he's seeded for the early season tournaments, he should be able to do better in January, February and March.

Hopefully, by Roland Garros, he'll be seeded high enough to get a better result than last year, when he had to play Marat in the 3rd round. A lot will still depend on the luck of the draw. Even this year, if he'd been drawn in Roddick's quarter, he might have reached the semis.

iliketennis
11-28-2005, 06:54 AM
He was more than capable of beating Marat at that stage of the year. That was actually a disappointing match in my opinion. I'll be very upset if JC doesn't make the quarters next season.

Jimnik
11-28-2005, 05:28 PM
I know it was a bit of a freak match. The conditions were very hot and fast, Marat was playing very well and seemed to have actually developed some patience because he was happy to rally with JC. I still believe that most of the time JC will beat Marat on clay.

I'll also be upset if he doesn't make the quarters. In fact, unless he has to face Coria or Nadal, I would expect him to reach the semis. Although, as I said in another thread, he needs to start beating those guys.

Raquel
11-28-2005, 06:09 PM
Vamos JC :worship:

Good luck in 2006 :hug:

Frederick16
11-28-2005, 06:49 PM
he will completely back in 2006! :)

Ferrero Forever
11-29-2005, 06:15 AM
he will completely back in 2006! :)
damn straight

Corinna
11-29-2005, 05:32 PM
I think it was a good year. He just needed to consolidate his position in the top 20 so next year he will be able to crack the top 10 again.
let's hope so
btw did i mention that i like your threads ;)