Pro Players comment on the commentators [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Pro Players comment on the commentators

soraya
11-26-2005, 03:21 AM
From time to time we like to analyze the tennis commentators, here is what some pro players think about them. Do you agree or disagree and why?

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennis...annerregi on=

Phunkadelicious
11-26-2005, 04:50 AM
The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

HappyAndie
11-26-2005, 05:04 AM
This looks to be the right link:
http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=14305&bannerregion=

And this is interesting, too.
http://tennis.about.com/library/weekly/aa102799.htm?terms=average+rating
I don't think it's very accurate.Especially in the "knowing when to be quiet" category.

RickDaStick
11-26-2005, 05:51 AM
Lol at Ivan saying: " I don't like Pam Shriver"

soraya
11-26-2005, 08:28 AM
This looks to be the right link:
http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=14305&bannerregion=

And this is interesting, too.
http://tennis.about.com/library/weekly/aa102799.htm?terms=average+rating
I don't think it's very accurate.Especially in the "knowing when to be quiet" category.

:o oops! thanks HappyAndie

Horatio Caine
11-26-2005, 09:55 AM
Lol at Ivan saying: " I don't like Pam Shriver"

Someone really does need to gag him :lol:

amierin
11-26-2005, 05:20 PM
I don't care for Shriver that much. I prefer Carillo for the most part. She is fine as long as one of the WS isn't playing. Tracey Austin seems to be listening to criticism and improving her skills. I didn't want to go through the screen and strangle her last year.
My fave is Jim Courier. He just talks about the tennis. It's not all about him or what he was.
I don't care for Bud Collins either. Too smarmy.

Of Macs I prefer JMac. When he just talks tennis no one is better. PMac mentions JMac too often and as DC captain I think his views are a little tainted by what he wants to happen instead of what is happening.

Peoples
11-26-2005, 05:44 PM
"[Patrick McEnroe] is from New York, so he's got great personality."
-Vince Spadea

MissMoJo
11-26-2005, 05:53 PM
Of Macs I prefer JMac. When he just talks tennis no one is better. PMac mentions JMac too often .....
Doesn't he? as if viewers wouldn't know who he was if he didn't mention 'my brother john' every 5 minutes...well, actually maybe they wouldn't :o

soraya
11-26-2005, 08:28 PM
I don't care for Shriver that much. I prefer Carillo for the most part. She is fine as long as one of the WS isn't playing. Tracey Austin seems to be listening to criticism and improving her skills. I didn't want to go through the screen and strangle her last year.
My fave is Jim Courier. He just talks about the tennis. It's not all about him or what he was.
I don't care for Bud Collins either. Too smarmy.

Of Macs I prefer JMac. When he just talks tennis no one is better. PMac mentions JMac too often and as DC captain I think his views are a little tainted by what he wants to happen instead of what is happening.

you right, I too like Carillo, she is funny, as for Pmac, it is soo true that he had to mention his brother's name endlessly and he is cautious critiquing the American players. Courier, cannot say much, did not have the chance to listen to him. The older Mac, I like him when he sticks soley to the technical part of the game. I can not stand BGilbert. What about the European commentators?

HappyAndie
11-26-2005, 08:29 PM
I personally can't stand Brad Gilbert. He has got to be the six degrees of Andre Agassi champion. Everything is about Agassi or relates to him someway, somehow!

euroka1
11-26-2005, 09:53 PM

I feel this way too. As was pointed out on tennis4you PMac got some of his endorsements from players with Davis Cup interests. He just makes me feel for the mute button. :(

mojo37_12
11-27-2005, 04:24 AM
Do you guys remember Vijay Armitraj? Anyway, he regularly comments on matches for Star Sports (the premier sports channel in Asia) and he is the most subjective and biased commentator ever.

Chris Evert and Tracy Austin are great commentators.

amierin
11-27-2005, 04:43 AM
Do you guys remember Vijay Armitraj? Anyway, he regularly comments on matches for Star Sports (the premier sports channel in Asia) and he is the most subjective and biased commentator ever.

Chris Evert and Tracy Austin are great commentators.

Mojo I don't get Star here in the States. Why is he so biased and against who is he biased?

Chris Evert could never get over the fact that she was no longer playing and that her style of play has been relegated to the dust bin. Fans here complained long and hard about her so I'm not sure if she even commentates here any more.

howardean
11-27-2005, 04:47 AM
i like gimelstob's quote "the combination of combining..."

well said

CooCooCachoo
11-27-2005, 08:21 AM
:lol: at them asking Scott Lipsky :tape:

mojo37_12
11-27-2005, 01:20 PM
Mojo I don't get Star here in the States. Why is he so biased and against who is he biased?

He's not exactly biased against a particular player... but when an Indian player plays... OMG. I guess it's just natural for one to root for a countryman but during the Wimbledon match between Kuznetsova and Mirza, he shouted "Go Sania!" at least four times in between points. If that's not a perfect example of subjectivity i don't know what is.

amierin
11-27-2005, 02:37 PM
He's not exactly biased against a particular player... but when an Indian player plays... OMG. I guess it's just natural for one to root for a countryman but during the Wimbledon match between Kuznetsova and Mirza, he shouted "Go Sania!" at least four times in between points. If that's not a perfect example of subjectivity i don't know what is.

Can't get more obvious than that. Thanks.

peteslamz
11-27-2005, 03:17 PM
Star Sports gives a wonderful coverage on Wimbledon however I just do not like the first few days because they tend to cover the matches of hyung taik lee, Mirza, other Asian players instaed of the top seeds like Federer, Safin, Roddick who are playing in the Center Court. I agree with you mojo, I was annoyed with Vijay's commentary because he was already cheering for Sania during the Kutnezova match! :rolleyes:

liptea
11-27-2005, 03:21 PM
damn. it's like a mcenroe monopoly out there.

peteslamz
11-27-2005, 03:26 PM
Ivan was the only player who was not afraid to speak out-- like his thoughts on Pam Shriver. :devil:

star
11-27-2005, 03:37 PM
Ivan :worship: It's about time someone said it.

No one mentioned Mary as one they like. :o :o :o :o

star
11-27-2005, 03:41 PM
I personally can't stand Brad Gilbert. He has got to be the six degrees of Andre Agassi champion. Everything is about Agassi or relates to him someway, somehow!

Brad is the absolute worst! Ok... Maybe he's no Pam Shriver, but he isn't entertaining and his vocabulary is pathetic. Sometimes he just makes things up, and when Pmac questions him, he can't come up with a reason for what he said. :o

My absolute favorite comentator ever was Arthur Ashe. He was uncanny in his predictions, and he could always pick out the precise adjective to describe the action. It was always amazing to me that he could be so extremely articulate in the heat of calling a match.

soraya
11-27-2005, 08:02 PM
Brad is the absolute worst! Ok... Maybe he's no Pam Shriver, but he isn't entertaining and his vocabulary is pathetic. Sometimes he just makes things up, and when Pmac questions him, he can't come up with a reason for what he said. :o

My absolute favorite comentator ever was Arthur Ashe. He was uncanny in his predictions, and he could always pick out the precise adjective to describe the action. It was always amazing to me that he could be so extremely articulate in the heat of calling a match.

Really, that is interesting. Unfortunately I've never heard Ashe's commentary. So according to some of the postings not only American commentators are subjective and influenced, but other international commentators like Vijay as well. It is refreshing to know it because I always thought that American commentators were biased to the core.

seven
11-27-2005, 09:54 PM
I don´t know the american commentators, just saw a few matches commented by John McEnroe. I like the fact, that John respects the current players and doesn´t say like other retired players that ther´re no characters in the game of today.
Just saw Henry Leconte on a german show talking about modern tennis, saying that ther´re no real personnalities in the game anymore like in his glorius times :tape: , except Federer :scratch: and Agassi.
The reasons were that ther´re too many tournaments, so that the players have to be more focused (note: this is what the german translator said)
Statements like this always annoy me, because I feel like these are older men, regretting that the "good old times" are over :help:

Haute
11-28-2005, 12:30 AM
Shocking, no one said BG. :haha:

I am a little surprised that more people didn't say Mary Jo Fernandez.

amierin
11-28-2005, 12:35 AM
Shocking, no one said BG. :haha:

I am a little surprised that more people didn't say Mary Jo Fernandez.

I tend to dismiss Mary Jo because of her husband's position at IMG. I believe he's now Roger's agent. Because he reps players I don't think anything she says would be unbiased legit commentary and falls into the category of spin.

Brad Gilbert occasionally comes up with something valid but I tend to hear "womp womp womp" when he gives his analysis.

Haute
11-28-2005, 12:46 AM
Really? I think she's usually spot-on with her comments of how people are playing and what they might need to be doing differently if things aren't going their way.

Tennis Fool
11-28-2005, 01:40 AM
Chris Evert could never get over the fact that she was no longer playing and that her style of play has been relegated to the dust bin. Fans here complained long and hard about her so I'm not sure if she even commentates here any more.
Chrissie was replaced by Mary Carillo at NBC. Probably because whenever asked who was going to win, she would speed out "Martina Hingis"! And she HATED the Williams Sisters.

MaryC seems to be bored with tennis, she spends a lot of time NOT saying anything during the match, and when she does it's to joke with her Queens buddy, JMac. I like her better now when she does Winter Olympics sports, like luge.

Tennis Fool
11-28-2005, 01:42 AM

Like when he called Marat "Anti-American"?

soraya
11-28-2005, 02:40 AM
[QUOTE=Tennis Fool]Like when he called Marat "Anti-American"?[/QUOTE

LOL, he did not say that!!! and what generated such reply?

soraya
11-28-2005, 02:43 AM
Chrissie was replaced by Mary Carillo at NBC. Probably because whenever asked who was going to win, she would speed out "Martina Hingis"! And she HATED the Williams Sisters.

MaryC seems to be bored with tennis, she spends a lot of time NOT saying anything during the match, and when she does it's to joke with her Queens buddy, JMac. I like her better now when she does Winter Olympics sports, like luge.

Tracy austin was another one that I've noted she does not like the Williams including papa. I like Mary C and her dry humour though.

Winston's Human
11-28-2005, 03:30 AM
[QUOTE=Tennis Fool]Like when he called Marat "Anti-American"?[/QUOTE

LOL, he did not say that!!! and what generated such reply?

I thought Brad said that jestingly in reference to Marat's run to the Australian Open final in 2004 when he beat five Americans including Martin, Blake, Roddick and Agassi.

Whatup86
11-28-2005, 01:31 PM
Tracy austin was another one that I've noted she does not like the Williams including papa. I like Mary C and her dry humour though.

I can't stand Tracy, but I do like Mary C. BG can get on my nerves at times though.

Action Jackson
04-29-2006, 10:50 AM
Bump.

federated
04-29-2006, 11:37 AM
I really, really like johnny mac, and really like carillo, drysdale, luke jensen, and brad gilbert (yep. what's it to you? :) )

P. Mac is really irritating, I think, mostly because of his tendency to say stuff like "the dropper!" :rolleyes: and to antagonize drysdale when they are in the box together. Austin and mary jo are dull. Hingis was dreadful.

Also, completely adore the posh-sounding old Brit who does Masters' events on the Tennis Channel (I think they get the Sky Sports stream). I'd listen to him read the phonebook.

On a side note, the french guys who did Monte Carlo on whatever the peercast stream was were CLASSIC. They'd get really involved; all these "ooooo"'s, "ARGH!"'s, and "ooo la la!"'s at moments of tension (usually during the french players' matches) :lol:

federated
04-29-2006, 11:42 AM

:haha: :haha:

side note: I watched a few matches on star sports (or wait...maybe cctv????) and was very amused by some of the quick zoom shots used--shots I had previously only seen in kung fu movies. I guess even in today's super-globalized world there are regional lexicons for camera work.

wcr
04-29-2006, 01:06 PM
Ivan Ljubicic: "Patrick McEnroe and Cliff Drysdale — they're pretty cool. You can see they know a lot about tennis. And it's really a relaxed feeling. They don't only talk about techniques and tactics. I have to say I don't like Pam Shriver. She's always so technique that it's, I mean, really boring. But these two guys, they know how to laugh, they know how to entertain people I think."

Ivan nailed tweedle-dee. Too bad no one nailed tweedle-dum (MJ Fernandez).

wcr
04-29-2006, 01:10 PM
James Blake: "Cliff Drysdale is my favorite. He's the most underrated. Because he's so good at playing kind of the straight man. And like he doesn't know what he's talking about [smiles]. And if you really listen to him, you know he knows exactly what he's talking about. And was one of the great players. And has one of those great voices that can do anything with that voice. So he's my favorite to listen to. He does a great job, whether he's teamed with Pat McEnroe or Mary Carillo or whoever. He's my favorite."

Best thing about the article is that they gave the final word on the topic to the right guy. ESPN better make room for Blake when he retires from playing. By then he'll have learned to take a breath between sentences so listening to him will be as nice as watching him.

buddyholly
04-29-2006, 01:17 PM

I saw him commenting for the first time when I was in Phuket in the winter, Aussie Open I think. What a Desi ass-kisser, as AD would say. Ugggh! He is obviously a real gentleman, but when it comes to commentating he is definitely the worst.

wcr
04-29-2006, 01:24 PM
Bob Bryan: "I like listening to Jim Courier. He's been there. He's fresh off the Tour. He knows what he's talking about. I think Pat Mac's good. I like Barry McKay, Cliff Drysdale. I think all the guys are pretty good...as long as they're positive about tennis."

How many years of high school did Bob Bryan attend? Barry "Mr. Meat and Potatoes" McKay is a heck of a guy, great tennis player, fan of the sport and overall 'there's-nothing-he-won't-do-for-the-game' person but when it comes to commentating, don't ask for more than hearing him call out the score.

Courier "fresh off the tour?" While it's true that he's more recently off the tour then the rest of the ESPN crowd but "fresh?"

Interesting how most answers pertained to the folks at ESPN. What about Pat Summerall and Tony Trabert and Tim Ryan for crying out loud.

buddyholly
04-29-2006, 01:26 PM
Also, completely adore the posh-sounding old Brit who does Masters' events on the Tennis Channel (I think they get the Sky Sports stream). I'd listen to him read the phonebook.

If you mean John Barrett, I agree. He is doing commentary in English on ESPNdeportes to Latin America. Never could understand why English, unless it is for all the fans in Belize ;) .
Anyway, he makes every little Mickey Mouse tournament feel like Wimbledon, which is a sign of a great commentator.
Although if he is doing Masters' on Tennis Channel it is unlikely he is also on ESPN :confused:

EDIT: Just discovered the John Barrett thread. Guess they use voice feeds to various channels.
''federated'' can go there for pics (non-sexual) of his idol

wcr
04-29-2006, 01:29 PM
No one was better than Billie Jean King calling Wimbledon for HBO. She's good enough for radio and that's where all these guys should be required to start. If you can see what they're talking about without benefit of television, then you've got yourself a great sportscaster.

avocadoe
04-29-2006, 02:21 PM
No one was better than Billie Jean King calling Wimbledon for HBO. She's good enough for radio and that's where all these guys should be required to start. If you can see what they're talking about without benefit of television, then you've got yourself a great sportscaster.
Those matches she covered on HBO with Carillo and Navratilova were as good as it gets :worship: Did you see the HBO special on her this week. It was wonderful!!! Probably will be repeated, and certainly on "on Demand.." Even the clips of her playing were exciting, wood racket, but so fast and precise and gutsy. The way she took over the chore of beating Bobby Riggs after Margaret Court failed. The moving story of her slowly realized lesbianism, the depth of her character, and that infectious in the best meaning of the word smile and committment to making the world better. She still does!

anserq
04-29-2006, 02:53 PM
Where is Federers comments?

wcr
04-29-2006, 04:15 PM
Those matches she covered on HBO with Carillo and Navratilova were as good as it gets :worship: Did you see the HBO special on her this week. It was wonderful!!! Probably will be repeated, and certainly on "on Demand.." Even the clips of her playing were exciting, wood racket, but so fast and precise and gutsy. The way she took over the chore of beating Bobby Riggs after Margaret Court failed. The moving story of her slowly realized lesbianism, the depth of her character, and that infectious in the best meaning of the word smile and committment to making the world better. She still does!

I missed the piece on BJK. Thanks for letting me know about it. I really can't think of anyone who expresses more love for all things tennis. And, you are right, her attitude is infectious. She certainly changed the way I watched tennis. I hope someday in her lifetime there's a great stadium named after her.

soraya
04-29-2006, 06:42 PM
Bump.

completely forgot about this thread. By the way a question to all of you from Europe and other places in the world. I've noticed that some American commentators are biased when an American is playing with a non American and you can tell that deep down they are rooting for "their player" Are other commentators (non-American)objective and fair or they are also biased when one of their country men/women is playing?

tangerine_dream
04-29-2006, 06:59 PM
Cliffy :inlove: :bowdown:

http://www.tennisroundup.com/events/2001/2001EricssonOpen/Page2/web2/01EDClifDr3.jpg

http://bmarcore.club.fr/tennis/annees-60/drysdale.jpg

Santorofan
04-29-2006, 08:04 PM

Actually, I recall many people enjoying Evert's commentary, myself being one of them! Billie Jean King was excellent also...

Santorofan
04-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Bob Bryan: "I like listening to Jim Courier. He's been there. He's fresh off the Tour. He knows what he's talking about. I think Pat Mac's good. I like Barry McKay, Cliff Drysdale. I think all the guys are pretty good...as long as they're positive about tennis."

How many years of high school did Bob Bryan attend? Barry "Mr. Meat and Potatoes" McKay is a heck of a guy, great tennis player, fan of the sport and overall 'there's-nothing-he-won't-do-for-the-game' person but when it comes to commentating, don't ask for more than hearing him call out the score.

Courier "fresh off the tour?" While it's true that he's more recently off the tour then the rest of the ESPN crowd but "fresh?"

Interesting how most answers pertained to the folks at ESPN. What about Pat Summerall and Tony Trabert and Tim Ryan for crying out loud.

Tony Trabert was awesome, it's a shame his not commentating anymore. And former NFL star Pat Summerall. Sometimes "oldschool" is the best school..

Breakaway
04-29-2006, 08:26 PM
James said it best I thought. P-Mac is not that great a commentator IMO. :o

tangerine_dream
04-29-2006, 08:42 PM
Are other commentators (non-American)objective and fair or they are also biased when one of their country men/women is playing?
Nope. Their jingoism is just as bad, if not worse. :)

federated
04-29-2006, 09:01 PM
If you mean John Barrett, I agree. ...

EDIT: Just discovered the John Barrett thread. Guess they use voice feeds to various channels.
''federated'' can go there for pics (non-sexual) of his idol

Thanks, buddyholly, but I'm a "she "not a "he"! And bring on the sexual pics; Barrett is absolutely adorable. If I were forty years older I'd be all over him. :hearts:

cobalt60
04-29-2006, 09:21 PM
John Barrett is great. I could listen to that "accent" all day. Does anyone remember Donald Dell? He use to partner with Bud Collins. I just remember him as being the straight man but he always seemed to know his tennis ( at least to me in my teen years:o)

nobama
04-29-2006, 10:47 PM
John Barratt is great but Jason Goodall has a hard time hiding his love for Fed. At TMC 2004 after Fed beat Safin in that 20-18 TB match he kept going on about what a wonderful human being Fed was and how he is the class of mens tennis, ect. I'm a fan and I wanted to barf.

RogersGirl
04-29-2006, 11:51 PM
whose the bald guy who usually comments with pattymac on espn?

RogersGirl
04-29-2006, 11:55 PM
forget it, i just remembered... dick enberg

nobama
04-29-2006, 11:59 PM
Does Mary Jo have to disclose that her hubby works for IMG and is an agent to many top players (like Fed & Davenport)? At the AO final and Dubai final both she and hubby were sitting in Roger's box.

soraya
04-30-2006, 08:47 PM
Players Make The Call On Commentators

McEnroe,Drysdale,Carillo By Scoop Malinowski
11/22/2005

They hit the shots that can provoke praise or pointed criticism from tennis television commentators, but what do the players themselves think about the commentators who call the shots? Tennis Week.com contributing writer Scoop Malinowski set out to find out, interviewing a wide range of players to ask their favorite — and in one case, least favorite — tennis television commentators.

"...She's really improved her fitness but her second serve is a liability." "...Are you kidding me!?! That shot was pure genius right there!" "...Her game is solid but she doesn't have a big weapon." "...Oh no!, that attempted drop shot was a brain cramp right there." "...Nalbandian with the fake dropper then the drop volley..." "...Oh my goodness! That's why they call him The Magician!!.."

In every match telecast, our favorite tennis players get their games commended and critiqued by our TV tennis commentators. Now it's time to turn the tables. Time for the tennis players to commentate on who their favorite TV tennis commentators are. Tennis Week has asked some of tennis' leading players this question: Which TV commentators are your favorites, who do you like to listen to the most?

Their responses may surprise you:

Vince Spadea: "I like Patrick McEnroe and Luke Jensen. I like the former players. The guys who are young and hungry and excited about doing it. And they know the information and the players. I like enthusiasm and personality into talking tennis — not just the exact match. Patrick's a very interesting guy. Been around a lot of years, obviously had a great career himself. He has a brother who is a legend. There's so many aspects about tennis that he could kind of dig in from. He's from New York, so he's got great personality. Luke is high energy. He's inspiring. He comes up with little, funny phrases. Little nicknames. Little, inside stories about each player or certain individuals. I think Bud Collins has something to contribute also. He's been there so long. He's a historian — not only for tennis but other sports, writing for the Globe and different coverages like that. He can provide more of a legendary insight. I thought Chris Evert was good. Articulate and smart and obviously a legend in her own right."

Brian Vahaly: "Good question. I think John McEnroe gives a lot of great tips. I think he can be a little tough on the players which can be tough to listen to — especially if I know the guys who are out there. I think sometimes he could be a little more understanding...sometimes the guys that are working their butt off to be out there. And I think Patrick McEnroe says a lot of great things actually."

Brian Baker: "I like John McEnroe a lot. And I think Patrick's very good. Overall, I think tennis is good right now, commentating. I like how John says what he wants to say and doesn't care much what anybody thinks, that's refreshing. I really like when Patrick and Cliff do the Masters Series on ESPN. I think they are always an excellent team and they compliment each other pretty good."

Mahesh Bhupathi: "I like listening to Johnny Mac. He's good. He has his own style. He doesn't care what people think of what he says. Even though he made fun of me at Wimbledon final. I heard a lot about that [smiles]. (What was he making fun of?) My serve...I think he tore it to bits. How the action of it is a bit different."

Ivan Ljubicic: "Patrick McEnroe and Cliff Drysdale — they're pretty cool. You can see they know a lot about tennis. And it's really a relaxed feeling. They don't only talk about techniques and tactics. I have to say I don't like Pam Shriver. She's always so technique that it's, I mean, really boring. But these two guys, they know how to laugh, they know how to entertain people I think."

Dominik Hrbaty: "I don't watch a lot of tennis on TV in America because I'm from Europe. But I know that a lot of people, they like Bud Collins. I heard him in New Zealand because I play quite a few tournaments there and he's coming down to commentate the tournaments. And I know that he's also big in coverage here. I like him. He's quite funny on the TV."

Meghann Shaughnessy: "I like John McEnroe. Because he's very honest. And I think he has an incredible eye for tennis. He really knows what's going on. He knows so much about the sport and his insights are always interesting. Mary Jo Fernandez for the same reason. She's been around for a long time, she knows what's going on."

Jonas Bjorkman: "John and Patrick McEnroe. They know the game very well. And they know the players very well. They know the strengths and the weaknesses of the games of the players. That's important. Some guys who are commentating are not down in the locker room and checking out things. Both of them are down here. They know a lot of players, even if they are not playing. That's a strength of a commentator. There's a few out there who are very good. But those are the guys I find are doing a good job."

Greg Rusedski: "Whether you like him or whether you don't, John McEnroe's always interesting. Sometimes he's fair with the guys, sometimes he's not [smiles]. But he's always interesting. I think Patrick McEnroe does quite a good job as well, with Cliff Drysdale. Patrick is quite interesting to listen to because he was never a top player like his brother John but he was quite astute and he did the best he could with the game he had and got to number 30 in the world. He had to find different ways to win rather than pure talent and ability. So he's got a different perspective on what it takes to succeed in tennis. He's seen the top side of tennis. But he's also seen the side where people are struggling a little bit out there. So it's nice to have a double perspective out there. Cliff Drysdale knows the history of the game. He's been out there since the players had their first union in 1973. Then he's seen what tennis has become nowadays. So his knowledge of the game and his insights are quite good to have."

Justin Gimelstob: "Patrick McEnroe. I think he does a great job with the combination of combining inside experience yet still being supportive of the players — and yet honest enough to give an honest critique. I think some of the commentators are too hard on the players. And some are too soft. But I think Patrick does a great combination."

Scott Lipsky: "I like to listen to John McEnroe. A lot of guys just hold back. He doesn't ever hold back. Patrick McEnroe too. They're both kind of the same, kinda tell it like it is. Those two guys I really think are the best two."

David Dinkins: "Oh, I have a lot of them. I like both McEnroes, Patrick and John, I love Bud Collins, I like Katrina Adams. It's hard for me to find one that I don't like. (What is it you like about the McEnroes?) They're good friends of mine, both of them. (Bud?) Bud, he's the best. He did an encyclopedia on tennis. (Katrina?) Is a very, very smart, articulate woman. And I'm so pleased that she's doing so much on The Tennis Channel."

James Blake: "Cliff Drysdale is my favorite. He's the most underrated. Because he's so good at playing kind of the straight man. And like he doesn't know what he's talking about [smiles]. And if you really listen to him, you know he knows exactly what he's talking about. And was one of the great players. And has one of those great voices that can do anything with that voice. So he's my favorite to listen to. He does a great job, whether he's teamed with Pat McEnroe or Mary Carillo or whoever. He's my favorite."