Open de moselle [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Open de moselle

Marine
10-01-2003, 09:23 PM
Found somewhere on the web

METZ (Reuters) - the Frenchman Arnaud Clément began his season indoor well by going through the first round of the Moselle Open after having dominated over his compatriot Michaël Llodra 7-5 6-1 on Wednesday in Metz. The Inhabitant of Aix spent time taking the upperhand against Llodra, 154th in the world. "I was tense in the beginning. I took 3-0 but it totaled 3-3 and I had to save some break points. I have experience of these French matches. I conditioned myself better to be mean", underlined Clément. Head of series n°4, the Frenchman hopes to make a big impact in Lorraine. "This season, I played a lot to make up for my two months of absence from the circuit. That wore me out mentally. I did not have enough moments which made me shake", he noted. "I am expecting big things. I want to give everything in this final straight. I cannot forget that I only have one title (Lyon in 2000, editor's note)." Clément will play the Italian Davide Sanguinetti in the second round on Thursday.

Lindsayfan
10-01-2003, 10:42 PM
allez arnaud,go and win ur second title! :yeah:

Richie lost! :sad:

Esther: should i restart my "french musketeers cheering thread" in each tournament forum?it brought lots of good luck,if you remember! ;)

lizabeth..*
10-02-2003, 12:38 AM
Richie :sad:
*scampers off*

esther
10-02-2003, 02:20 AM
allez arnaud,go and win ur second title! :yeah:

lol yeah...will be extremely happy if that ever happens...

Esther: should i restart my "french musketeers cheering thread" in each tournament forum?it brought lots of good luck,if you remember! ;)

no i dont think so coz that's what liz's site is for- KEEP POSTING THERE WOMAN!!!

lizabeth..*
10-02-2003, 07:05 AM
its ok....the site has died in the ass ne way :sad:

esther
10-02-2003, 01:26 PM
i dont want it to die :sad:

esther
10-02-2003, 04:51 PM
ARNAUD WON :D
into quarrrrtersss!! will play winner of acisione or petchzer of whoever they are lol

cmon arnaud...you have to get to semis now!!

esther
10-02-2003, 05:08 PM
dunno if this will work, but itnerviews:
RICHIE:
http://www.fft.fr/evenements2003/Metz-2003/audio/gasquet0110.ram

ARNNNNNNNNAUD:
http://www.fft.fr/evenements2003/Metz-2003/audio/clement0110.ram

Marine
10-02-2003, 07:27 PM
Very quickly:

Richard =) He is very tired, because he played lots of matches these last 3 weeks, Mutis played better than him, so he is not disapointed.

Arnaud =) He was very motived because he likes this atmosphere (wednesday is kids day in france), he wants to go far, he feels good, in good form, he is satisfied by his game against llodra, because he played in attack and it has paid, hso he will continue in this way...

esther
10-04-2003, 01:05 AM
ARNAUD WON ARNAUD WON ARNAUD WON!! ooh is this a fantastic week or what...both arnaud and seb in semis!! :D :D

WILL PLAY santoro at 2pm for a place in the final...
GOOOO ARNAUDDDDDDD

stephB
10-04-2003, 02:46 PM
cross the fingers for arnaud :)

Marine
10-04-2003, 03:23 PM
AND HE WON , EASILY !! 6/2 6/1 (fab has played bladly...)
And I sew the match ! :p

lizabeth..*
10-04-2003, 03:26 PM
Marine come on MSN if u can

Lindsayfan
10-04-2003, 03:34 PM
wow congrats Arnaud! :bigclap: :yeah:

Marine
10-04-2003, 10:59 PM
I don't know from where it comes, but I put it here, cos in english:

*Chile's Fernando Gonzalez and France's Arnaud Clement will meet in the final of the inaugural Open de Moselle in Metz with the same goal. Both will be looking to win their first ATP title of 2003.

Gonzalez, who led Chile to a memorable ATP World Team Cup victory in Duesseldorf in May, hammered Romanian Andrei Pavel, 6-3, 6-4. The Chilean is playing his first indoor event of 2003 and first event since losing in the first round of the Brasil Open three weeks ago. After that loss he practiced hard in Buenos Aires with coach Horacio de la Pena, who's here with him this week.

Clement needed just 67 minutes to beat fellow Frenchman Fabrice Santoro, 6-2, 6-1, for the first time in three career meetings. Clement, who saved three crucial breakpoints at 2-2, 0-40, in the first set against Santoro, is through to his second ATP final of 2003 after losing to Sjeng Schalken at 's-Hertogenbosch in June.

The Frenchman is looking to win his second career ATP title after Lyon in 2000. Clement has had a solid season in 2003 despite a right wrist injury that kept him out of the circuit until March. He could not play tennis with his right hand so he kept in shape by playing left-handed and even entered a national tournament in France playing with his left hand!

Clement is here with his coach Remi Barbarin, father Henri, and girlfriend Camille Pin, a WTA player.

WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID

Arnaud Clement: "The goal is not to reach the final but to win it. The most important match is the final. I've won only one title in my career and lost four finals so I'm very hungry. Lyon 2000 feels like a long time ago..." http://www.fft.fr/evenements2003/Metz-2003/audio/clement0410

"(Fernando) is very unpredictable. He can hit the first serve at 110 kmh and the second at 220...He's one of the hardest hitters on the circuit."

About the semifinal: "It was a strange match, Fabrice was probably tired from his matches this week and I played solid tennis right from the beginning. I did not give him any chances. I'm really happy because I've played four different kinds of players this week and adapted well to all styles."

About the French success in Tokyo, Moscow and Metz this week: "There's a lot of talent in France, a lot of very good players that can have great results. The season had not been very good but now we're picking up again."

Fernando Gonzalez: "I got here on Friday before the tournament so I had time to get used to the court. It's hard indoors and slow so I like it. It's my first indoor event of the year and this gives me a lot of confidence for the rest of the season. I'm lucky that I play well on all surfaces, maybe only grass I have to work on..."

About Clement: "We've played everywhere! He's very fast, has a great return of serve and his backhand is very dangerous. But I feel confident if we play from the baseline."

About his game: "My serve is getting better and better and so are my ground strokes, especially my backhand is improving a lot."

"It's better if my opponents do not know what I do next on court...I surprise them all the time. And, hey, I like my game!"

Fabrice Santoro: "It was close at the beginning but then he was better than me. I was relatively fresh after all my matches this week but I was rushing too much at the end, I should have been more patient. It's been an excellent week though, semifinals in singles and now I play the doubles final."

FRENCHMEN MAKE HISTORY IN DOUBLES
For the first time in the Open era, four French players will contest the doubles final of an ATP event. Top-seeded Michael Llodra and Fabrice Santoro take on wild cards and childhood friends Julien Benneteau and Nicolas Mahut. Llodra/Santoro have qualified for the year-end Tennis Masters Cup in Houston as one of the Top 8 doubles teams. They won the Australian Open in January and were finalists at the Tennis Masters Series events in Monte Carlo and Rome. Benneteau/Mahut, both coached by Alain Solves, upset the second-seeded team of Gaston Etlis and Martin Rodriguez in the first round on the way to their first ATP final. They won four challenger titles in their career including their last two events in 2003.

Lindsayfan
10-04-2003, 11:46 PM
good luck arnaud,beat gonzo!!! :yeah:

andrei :sad: I wanted you to play the final vs arnaud!

esther
10-05-2003, 08:36 AM
absolutely thumped santoro yesterday...
livescore.com BETTTER WORK TONITE....i will be so mad...it didnt work last night and only started working at like 6-2 4-1 grrr

newayz GO ARNAUD!!!! forget about seb...

Marine
10-05-2003, 05:58 PM
ARNAUD IS CUTER THAN HIS TROPHEE...

http://www.fft.fr/evenements2003/Metz-2003/photos/clementvictoire.jpg

stephB
10-05-2003, 06:23 PM
it is so great that he won. and again in france! sooooo cool. i´m so happy for him :)

Marine
10-05-2003, 06:50 PM
Î like his smile after the match point...

http://www.lequipe.fr/Xml/Tennis/Titres/Media/051003_clement_afp_270.jpg

Clement wins at home

Fourth seed Arnaud Clement from France overcame hard-hitting Fernando Gonzalez, 6-3 1-6 6-3, in front of his homecrowd in Metz on Sunday to grasp his first title of the season. A tremendous three set battle where Clement's speed and agility halted Gonzalez's power game.

RESULTS: Clement's journey to the title
Elegant tennis stars in RG

The Aix-en-Provence native grasped his first career title in Lyon and was playing in his 6th career final on Sunday, the second one this season.

Clement is the second French player to snatch and ATP title this season. Julien Boutter won in Casablanca back in April.

The fourth seed made a rapid start to the match serving pretty well taking advantage of Gonzalez's unforced errors during the first set.

In the second set Gonzalez raised his level of game and Clement was simply not able to follow losing it after wining just one game.

Fortunately for Clement, Gonzalez was not able to maintain his pace in the third set. The set was a bit tight during the first few games but at 3-2 Gonzalez faltered gifting Clement with a break

audio interview http://www.fft.fr/evenements2003/Metz-2003/audio/clement0510.ram
==) happy about his week,his game, blablabla...and he thanks his coach Rémi, he is happy, cos they work together for 2 years and remi is very patient with him (lol) so he deserves too this victory (he said the same at the ceremony and remi was touched).

irishface
10-05-2003, 07:47 PM
Hooooooorrrrraaaaayyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO ARNAUD!!!!

Thanks for the news Marine! Now, how do I post a pic here?

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20031005/sge.lko78.051003155128.photo00.default-384x248.jpg

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20031005/sge.lkn32.051003154223.photo00.default-256x384.jpg

http://www.sport.fr/photos/31460.jpg

Marine
10-05-2003, 08:05 PM
Happy to see you here, Irish, why don't you post here anymore ??

(yahoo sport france)

Metz - La victoire de Clément, premier fruit d'une nouvelle mentalité

Shopping

Polo Safin

Robe Capriati
Et tous les articles de tennis sur Y! Shopping

Tennis
· Classements
ATP Race
ATP
WTA
· Photos
Andre Agassi
Pete Sampras
Gustavo Kuerten
Joueurs français
Anna Kournikova
Joueuses françaises
Diaporama
Toutes les photos de
tennis en diaporama

METZ, 5 oct (AFP) - La victoire du Français Arnaud Clément à l'Open de Moselle de tennis, épreuve du circuit ATP dotée de 380.000 euros, dimanche à Metz, est le premier fruit d'une nouvelle mentalité insufflée par son entraîneur Rémi Barbarin.

"J'ai eu des discussions à plusieurs reprises avec Rémi, raconte l'Aixois, vainqueur en finale du Chilien Fernando Gonzalez 6-3, 1-6, 6-3. Rémi me dit d'arriver pour gagner le tournoi, d'avoir l'ambition de le gagner. Je n'aime pas trop faire ça. Il a réussi à me convaincre. C'est marrant que ça marche tout de suite."

Cette première permet au Français d'ajouter un deuxième titre à son palmarès, trois ans après son premier succès à Lyon. De quoi l'inciter à poursuivre dans cette voie.

"Rémi est persuadé que je dois arriver avec la même mentalité sur les Grand Chelem, avec la volonté d'aller décrocher les titres, poursuit Clément. J'ai peut-être encore besoin d'un peu de temps pour assimiler cette méthode. Ca n'a jamais été dans ma mentalité. Peut-être faudrait-il que je vois un psy..."

Objectifs collectifs

Jusqu'à présent, Clément avait en effet plutôt du mal à se fixer des buts précis. "Je suis arrivé dans les 100 premiers à l'ATP sans que ce soit un objectif, poursuit-il. Remporter un titre n'était pas non plus un objectif, tellement cela me paraissait inaccessible. Mon seul objectif, c'était de jouer au tennis, car c'est le truc que j'aime le plus faire."

Ses vieilles habitudes sont encore tenaces. Le finaliste de l'Open d'Australie 2001 a en effet des difficultés à affirmer ses ambitions pour l'avenir. Comme un symbole, il évoque davantage des objectifs collectifs que personnels.
"J'espère réussir une belle saison de Coupe Davis et de bons jeux (Olympiques) aussi, a déclaré Clément. C'est important de se qualifier pour les Jeux, car plus on sera nombreux et en forme, plus ce sera facile pour Guy (Forget) de former une belle équipe."
Et pourquoi pas viser la 10e place du classement mondial, rang qu'il avait occupé en avril 2001? "Je sais que je l'ai fait une fois, dit-il. C'était loin d'être un +hold-up+, car je jouais bien et j'ai été régulier pendant six-huit mois. J'ai l'impression aujourd'hui d'avoir un bagage technique beaucoup plus complet, donc pourquoi pas le refaire? Mais ce n'est pas une victoire en tournoi qui suffira. Il faudra aussi aller loin en Masters series."

He lacks ambition, Arnaud, that's clear, and it's not good for a sportman, but, he's so sweet with his team spirit... :hearts:

Alison
10-05-2003, 08:13 PM
That's not a trophy,it's a lava lamp :lol:

Good result though :cool:

Lindsayfan
10-05-2003, 10:12 PM
CONGRATS ARNAUDDDDD!!!!!!! :bounce: :worship: :hatoff: :bounce:

the trophy is just horrible! :p

Marine
10-05-2003, 10:39 PM
October 5, 2003
METZ, France (Ticker) - The inaugural Open de Moselle was a great tournament for the home side.

Fourth-seeded Frenchman Arnaud Clement held off No. 3 Fernando Gonzalez of Chile, 6-3, 1-6, 6-3, Sunday to win the indoor event.

Local wild cards Julien Benneteau and Nicolas Mahut beat countrymen Michael Llodra and Fabrice Santoro, 7-6 (7-2), 6-3, marking the first time since 1996 at Marseille that France swept both titles at an ATP tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT

Clement's only other title also came in his own country. He had lost three finals since winning Lyon in 2000.

"Lyon 2000 was really a distant memory and it feels great to win my second title in France again," said Clement, who evened his lifetime record against Gonzalez to 3-3. "I had lost a few finals after Lyon and it would have hurt a lot to lose here."

From Aix-en-Provence, Clement missed the first three months of the season with a right wrist injury. He dropped just one set in five matches this week.

"It's not just about this week's efforts, it's all the hard work I've put in with my coach of two years, Remi Barbarin," Clement said. "Since getting together the goal was to win my second ATP title, so I dedicate this victory to him and his academy. It's not a relief but more like a great job for both of us to win this title."

The 25-year-old Clement is the second French player to win an ATP event in 2003 after Julien Boutter in Casablanca. Boutter, who is from Metz, helped the tournament organizers run this year's event after undergoing shoulder surgery on September 11.

"It's been a great week for French tennis and I hope there will be more titles to come in the rest of the season," Clement said. "I'm happy to join Julien as the second ATP winner this year and I wish him a speedy recovery. I'm also happy to have won here for the first edition of this event. It's great for us French players to have opportunities like this to play at home."

Gonzalez's title drought continued. He won a pair of tournaments last year, the last coming at Palermo in September 2002.

"Unfortunately, that's the way tennis goes," said the 23-year-old Chilean, who has had injury woes this season. "I know Arnaud well, he's a great player and he played well today. I was not surprised by his tactics today."

Marine
10-05-2003, 10:43 PM
video "stade 2":

http://www.francetv.fr/sports/stade2/video/stade2d_20031005.ram

And that's all for this evening, now... :zzz:

Lindsayfan
10-05-2003, 10:53 PM
thanks for everything,marine! :kiss: ...and reply to my PM,plz :angel:

Lee
10-05-2003, 10:54 PM
:woohoo: Arnaud!

irishface
10-05-2003, 11:04 PM
Oh THANK YOU for the video, Marine!!!! I didn't get to see the match, so this is perfect! :hug:

esther
10-06-2003, 12:21 AM
ahhhh will watch those interviews when i get home- thanks marine!!!

i'm soooooo happpy ...you have no idea!!!! Seb in final and Arnaud won...they have to keep goign tho!! AWW arnaud...lucky the blonde goatee isnt THAT obvious...lol awwwwwwwww
he looks so happy...lol xcept for that disgusting trophyl...newayz well done arnaud!!!!!! :D :D

lizabeth..*
10-06-2003, 12:48 AM
yey!!

Marine
10-07-2003, 04:58 PM
"Le Parisien", today:

Dimanche, Arnaud Clément a remporté , à 25 ans, le 2ème titre de sa carrière à Metz. Jusqu'à présent, il n'arrivait pas, sur une épreuve, dit-il, "avoir la conviction qu'il pouvait aller au bout." Fausse modestie ou véritables limites ?

3 ans entre vos 2 titres, Lyon 2000 et Metz 2003, c'est long, non ?
- Oui, c'est long. Le + difficile à vivre, en fait, est de voir les joueurs situés entre la 30ème et 40ème place mondiale, comme moi, enquiller des titres alors que je n'ai rien à leur envier. Mes choix de calendrier sont souvent+ basés sur les gros évenements que sur des épreuves mineures (not agree...Gap...Aix, Grenoble ??)

JUsqu'à maintenant, vous abordiez un tournoi sans penser un seul moment pouvoir le gagner. Bizarre, non ?
- Je sais que c'est bizarre. A la base, je n'ai pas la mentalité américaine, qui veut qu'etre numéro 2, c'est nul. J'en suis meme l'opposé ! Tout ce qui m'est arrivé jusqu'alors: etre 10ème mondial, finale de grand chelem, gagner un titre à Lyon, je n'imaginais meme pas que ça soit possible. Mon truc, c'était: "je prend match après match, et je me défonce". Mon entraineur ne voulait plus que je m'en satisfasse. Ca a marché la semaine dernière. Ca veut pas dire non plus que je vais gagner tout le temps maintenant.

Est-ce un manque d'ambition ? Vous vous sous-estimez toujours, meme par rapport aux autres Français...
- Les autres ont un talent hyper visuel sur un court. Moi j'ai surtout la chance de prendre du plaisir dans l'effort: courrir, m'entrainer dur, j'adore. Cette volonté, je ne la transmet pas en arrivant sur un tournoi. Je n'ai jamais eu cette mentalité. J'essaie de changer. Je vais essayer d'aborder ce tournoi de Lyon dans les memes conditions qu'à Metz. meme si le tableau est plus relevé cette semaine...

==) I love Arnaud, he is modest and realistic, he knows he has not the talent of big players, so it's quite normal he never had this "fighting spirit"... sometimes I find he has not enough ambitions, that's sure, but, his mentality is sweet, it's which makes his charm , so I forgive him.. :inlove:

irishface
10-07-2003, 06:51 PM
Merci bcp once again Marine.

**off to translate**

edit

**Back again** :) Not sure about some of this, but you'll get the idea....

On Sunday in Metz Arnaud Clément won, at 25 years old, the 2nd title of his career. Until now, he did not arrive at an event, he says, "with the conviction that it could go to the end." False modesty or true limits?

3 years between your 2 titles, Lyon 2000 and Metz 2003 is long, no? -

Yes, it is long. And difficult to live with, in fact, to see the players located between the 30th and 40th in the world, like me, enquiller(?) of the titles whereas I do not have anything for them to envy. My choices of calendar are often based on the large events rather than on the minor tests (not agree... Gap... Aix, Grenoble??)

Until now, you approached a tournament without thinking for a moment that you had the capacity to win it. That is odd, isn't it? -

I know that it is odd. Basically, I do not have the American mentality, he that wants to be number 2 is nothing. I am the opposite! All that has happened to me up until now: to be 10th in the world, final of large slam, to win a title in Lyon, I did not imagine that it was possible. My thing was: "I take match after match, and I dig deep". My coach did not want me to satisfied with that. It went last week. That does not mean that I will win all the time now, either.

Is this a lack of ambition? You always underestimate yourself, compared to the other French players... -

the others have an obvious talent on court. Me, I am especially likely to take pleasure in the effort: to race, to train hard, I adore that. This will, I don't transmit it while arriving at a tournament. I never had this mentality. I try to change. I will try to approach the Lyon tournament under the same conditions as Metz if the draw is more elevated this week...

esther
10-08-2003, 05:30 AM
good luck in lyon arnaud!!

esther
10-08-2003, 05:30 AM
thanks for posting that btw