Info about Rafael’s injury and 2006 season [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Info about Rafael’s injury and 2006 season

mallorn
11-22-2005, 09:41 PM
A big thank you to nou.amic on VR.com, who translated the articles from Spanish. :worship:

THE OBJECTIVE IS TO IMPROVE ON FAST COURTS

Nadal: "My goal is to be in good shape for Australia"

BARCELONA.- Rafael Nadal, the world number two, has set himself the objective for next year of turning himself into a "more complete" player and improving his results on the fastest courts. The Mallorcan is not going to precipitate his return after his injury as his chief goal is "to have my foot better for Australia" next year.

"Next season, my intention is to conitinue to improve as a tennis player, for that reason I'm going to cut out some tournaments on clay and 'greenset', even though I have a better chance of winning on them, so that I can improve on other surfaces like grass and indoor hard," he declared.

His crowded schedule and the constant changes of surface have caused the post-traumatic arthritis he has in his left foot that prevented him from playing the Shanghai Masters and makes him doubtful for the Copa del Rey, the old Masters Nacional, to be held in Valladolid from 16th to 18th December.

"My prime goal is to be in good shape for the Australian Open," explained the Mallorcan tennis player, who was sceptical about being able to play in Valladolid. "I've already said that I'd love to play in the Masters, because I've never been able to play in it before, but it's clear that if I'm not in condition, I won't play."

Nadal is aware that it will be very difficult for him to repeat the same number of victories next year "because it depends on many factors". Because of this he prefers to set himself other objectives, among which is being consistent on all types of surface and maintaining himself in the top six or seven in the world.

The planning of his schedule is another area on which he will put special emphasis. "You gain experience on the circuit with time and you realise what you should not do again. For example, last year I made the mistake of taking part in some tournaments when I shouldn't, I came home to Mallorca after playing in Cincinatti instead of staying in the US to prepare for the US Open and the way I prepared for Wimbledon after Roland Garros was not right," he admitted.

If he arrives fit and well for Melbourne, Rafael Nadal will have the opportunity to have a go at one of the three Grand Slams not played on clay (Australia, Wimbledon and the US Open), in which last season he did not get past the quarter finals.

Nadal is not obsessed with being number one

Beating Roger Federer in the world rankings he sees as being rather more complicated, "because he is one of the best in history and this year he has been so much better than the rest," he said.

In any case, Nadal is not obsessed with the Swiss number one. "The main thing is to worry about myself and maintain this year's level. If I manage to put in another season like this one, it doesn't worry me if Federer is again ahead of me," he concluded.

Spanish article:
http://elmundodeporte.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/2005/11/22/tenis/1132684360.html

The other translated article is pretty similar, but has some more detailed information about his treatment:
Europa Press via Yahoo! España wrote:
Nadal to have treatment for two weeks: his presence at the Spanish Masters remains in doubt.

"My prime goal is to have my foot better for Australia", said the player who is, "happy because it is not as serious as one would have thought"

BARCELONA, 22 Nov 05
The Mallorcan tennis player Rafael Nadal has to have complete rest and follow a course of treatment during the next two weeks to recover from the problems he has been carrying in his left foot, which means that he is doubtful for the Spanish Masters that will bring together the top Spanish players in Valladolid from 16th to 18th December.

These physical problems, which he has had since the final of the Masters Series Madrid, prevented him from participating in the Masters Cup in Shanghai and lead to him undergoing a series of test in Barcelona last week to find out the exact extent and severity of the injury.

These tests have revealed that Nadal is suffering from "post-traumatic arthritis", in the form of inflammation of the instep of his left foot, the same foot in which he suffered a stress facture last year that kept him off the tennis circuit for a couple of months.

After one week of complete rest, his treatment started today when he was given an injection of "growth factors" (could be cortisone as Mamasue says but I don't know) in the affected area. Next week he will receive a second injection and the following week he will begin training "gradually, like any other player beginning his preparation for the new season".

This was all explained today in the real Club de Tenis Barcelona by Doctor Angel Ruiz Cotorro, the Real Federación Española de Tenis doctor who is supervising Nadal's recovery. The doctor also stated that the change of surfaces on which he had played had been "what had sparked off these problems, which had appeared when he was playing least".

Ruiz Cotorro did not make any declaration about Nadal's chances of taking part in the Spanish Masters but stated that that would depend on the daily evolution of the injury. Nadal himself made it clear that his prime objective is to be competely recovered and 100% fit for the first Grand Slam of 2006 in Australia in the middle of next January.

"My prime goal is to have my foot better for Australia. If within this objective I can play the Masters Nacional, fine, but if not, unfortunately it will have to be ruled out, although it is a tournament I've never played in and would really like to play," declared the player, who is very pleased that his injury is not so serious.

"I'm pleased because, although I'm injured, it is not as serious as one would have thought... After all, it's only two weeks, and that's the time I had planned for my holidays," he said. Nadal expects to be back training "round about December 5th" and trusts that "by then my foot will be no longer hurting me".

When it comes to next year, Nadal plans to cut out some tournaments, especially those played on clay, as he wants to test himself on other types of surfaces "as an inversion for the future," he said and warned that in making up his schedule, he would need to "be careful not to overload it too much".

At the same time, he pointed out the need to take into account the changes of surface, as the doctors consider that this was the main factor that led to the problems in his foot, and to know how and when to renounce some tournaments, because he knows that this year he made the "mistake" of playing more tournaments than were good for him.

"It is also my own fault, at times I've done things badly. Sometimes you have to suppress the desire to play and your ambition because it's not good for your body," he confessed, during the press conference in which he also talked about what he had achieved in 2005, a historic year in which he won a total of 11 titles, among them his first Grand Slam, Roland Garros.
Posted by nou.amic here (http://vamosrafael.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=2174&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20) and here (http://vamosrafael.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=2174&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=40)

DrJules
11-22-2005, 09:59 PM
Thank you for the above articles.

To ensure he is fit for the Australian Open would it be safer for him not to play in the Copa del Rey, the old Masters Nacional, to be held in Valladolid from 16th to 18th December. He says he will resist pressure to play in future when it may harm his body, but will he follow the sensible course of action.

Does anyone know his schedule of tournaments for 2006 and how the composition differs from 2005? One of the amazing features of 2005 is that despite their total dominance of the tour Roger and Rafael only played 2 time with a win each.

His objective to stay in the top six or severn in the year seems very modest. Most poster on this board seem ending 2006 as either number 2 and in some cases number 1.

Its rather amazing despite their incredible dominance that both Roger and Rafael remain so modest.

Clara Bow
11-22-2005, 10:02 PM
Thanks for posting those!

I like that his main goal in 2006 is to improve his form on other surfaces. He certainly does not seem content to hide out on the clay and rest on his laurels on that surface, and I commend him for that. I also really like that he admits he made some mistakes in deciding what tournaments to play and with his tournament preparation. I think he has a good head on his shoulders. :)

Does anyone know his schedule of tournaments for 2006 and how the composition differs from 2005?

I do know that he will not be playing the Latin American clay tournies in the early parts of the year.

DrJules
11-22-2005, 10:13 PM
He has in many ways already proved his ability on cement/indoors with a master final victory over Andre Agassi and a win over Ivan Ljubicic, and his near miss in Miami when Roger defeated him in 5 sets. The frightening fact for other players is that he improved so much in one year. His serve and backhand were much better at the year end than the start of the year. In many ways his volleys seem more reliable than Roger when he is at the net.

I would be shocked if he ranked lower than number 2 at the end of 2006

Galaxystorm
11-22-2005, 10:35 PM
These articles have been translated literally from a news agency new in spanish where there was a typo about playing on greenset

He meant he wants to play less on clay and more on greenset next year , but the journalist made a typo telling he wants to play less on greenset too.

Marseille and Rotterdam are on greenset, that's why he has mentioned it .

amierin
11-22-2005, 11:21 PM
Thank you for the above articles.

Does anyone know his schedule of tournaments for 2006 and how the composition differs from 2005? One of the amazing features of 2005 is that despite their total dominance of the tour Roger and Rafael only played 2 time with a win each.

Its rather amazing despite their incredible dominance that both Roger and Rafael remain so modest.

vamosrafael.com keeps Rafael's schedule up to date.

ugotlobbed
11-23-2005, 01:55 AM
pff injuries plaguing the #1,2 players...but what about hewitt...oooo the baby? wuss

Scotso
11-23-2005, 02:15 AM
Hopefully he can play the entire slate of slams and Master Series events next year.

Galaxystorm
11-23-2005, 09:56 AM
“ I admit this year i have made mistakes playing some tournaments , although i don’t say which of them for a matter of respect . I must learn to decline to play some tournaments to not get overloaded muscularly too much and also learn to control the excitement and ambition because it isn’t positive for my body . I don’t want to end up absolutely lame at 23 “

jenanun
11-23-2005, 10:44 AM

playing less on clay means he may have more chance to play against federer, roddick or hewitt on hardcourt surface... no?

that will be interesting...

now he has a great chance to prove that he can beat top 10 players on other surfaces...

and i think he can... vamos rafael! :bounce:

nobama
11-23-2005, 02:23 PM
Besides the MS and RG what other event(s) is he playing on clay next year?

Merton
11-23-2005, 03:07 PM

My guess is that he will only play Montecarlo, Barcelona and Rome, skipping Hamburg. He should play Hamburg, but given his nationality he will be in Barcelona. I would not be surprised if he also limited his summer clay schedule.

Galaxystorm
11-23-2005, 03:20 PM

I would say Barcelona , and one or two tournaments on clay between Wimbly and Toronto . ( I doubt he will go to Valencia next year ) , and maybe depending on Davis cup ties he could play some clay tournament after US open, but only if the tie is on clay etc..

DrJules
11-23-2005, 03:31 PM
I would say Barcelona , and one or two tournaments on clay between Wimbly and Toronto . ( I doubt he will go to Valencia next year ) , and maybe depending on Davis cup ties he could play some clay tournament after US open, but only if the tie is on clay etc..

Considering 2 issues raised in the acticle are 1) Playing too much and 2) changing surfaces too much.

It would make sense for him to combine rest and play on hard courts between Wimbledon and Toronto. If he plays clay courts between Wimbledon and Toronto then he will be changing from grass to clay to hard courts in a short period of time

shotgun
11-23-2005, 03:34 PM
He'll start the season playing in both Chennai and Sydney. :p

Galaxystorm
11-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Considering 2 issues raised in the acticle are 1) Playing too much and 2) changing surfaces too much.

It would make sense for him to combine rest and play on hard courts between Wimbledon and Toronto. If he plays clay courts between Wimbledon and Toronto then he will be changing from grass to clay to hard courts in a short period of time

I have always criticized Nadal's schedule because i didn't like it . Knowing Nadal i would bet all my money on that between Wimbly and Toronto he will stay in Europe playing at least one tournament on clay . I don't see him playing north american hard tour before Toronto ( Los Angeles , Indianapolis ...). He considers he has already a good level at outdoors hard and he isn't gonna go to the States to play that tour . Where he wants to improve is at indoors . Maybe he could play in Washington, but it would be only this concrete tournament

That north american tour would make him to stay a lot of weeks out of home and is unviable for him , also if you notice there aren't hardly spanish players who made that tour.

If you notice some european non-claycourter players prefer to stay in Europe playing on clay after Wimbly instead of going to the States, i think it's a matter of personal reasons since they don't want to be out of home two months. ( For example this year, players like Youzhny , Lopez, Hanescu , Nieminen , Monfils, , Berdych ( although Berdych played in Washington too ) , are examples of players who have a more dangerous playstyle on hard than on clay but they prefered to stay in Europe .

The only main difference between 2005 Nadal's schedule and 2006 will be : Not to go to South America and to play at indoors hard in Europe after Aus Open and before Indian Wells . The rest of his schedule will be very similar to this year , excepting that maybe he will play less tournaments , but what i want to mean is when he says " i'm gonna go to play more on fast courts and less on clay , it's more a journalistic headline than an extreme change in his schedule .

DrJules
11-23-2005, 04:21 PM
I was thinking the post Wimbledon period is a good opportunity for a player to allow their body to recover after the intense months of the clay/grass season and before the hardcourt season.

mallorn
11-23-2005, 04:34 PM
Does anyone know his schedule of tournaments for 2006 and how the composition differs from 2005?
To sum up the previous posts, the tournaments for which Rafa signed up so far are Chennai, Sydney, Rotterdam and Queens. Also, the Marseille site has him in the poll “Who’s going to win the 2006 edition?” together with Ljubicic, Gasquet, Safin, Monfils and Grosjean, so I assume he's committed to this too.

nobama
11-23-2005, 06:03 PM
Why doesn't Rafa just take time off after Wimbledon and give his body rest? Does he need to play between Wimbledon and Toronto?

Galaxystorm
11-23-2005, 06:33 PM
Why doesn't Rafa just take time off after Wimbledon and give his body rest? Does he need to play between Wimbledon and Toronto?

If he's healthy , a month without playing is an eternity for him , he loves playing matches and when he's several weeks without playing he gets bored , in fact he's in his first days of holidays/recovery and he already says he misses to take the racket and play some rallies

DrJules
11-23-2005, 07:01 PM
If he's healthy , a month without playing is an eternity for him , he loves playing matches and when he's several weeks without playing he gets bored , in fact he's in his first days of holidays/recovery and he already says he misses to take the racket and play some rallies

He is going to suffer burn out at some point and do damage to his body.

RonE
11-23-2005, 07:10 PM
"Next season, my intention is to conitinue to improve as a tennis player, for that reason I'm going to cut out some tournaments on clay and 'greenset', even though I have a better chance of winning on them, so that I can improve on other surfaces like grass and indoor hard," he declared.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

He may have a butt-ass ugly game but this is one thing I really and truly appreciate and admire about him. He is not afraid to step away from his comfort zone to improve himself and meet the chalenge head on.

Clara Bow
11-23-2005, 07:10 PM

He has said that he does not want to be lame at 23 and realizes that his desire to play a lot puts him at risk for that.

I do think that he will not play as often as he would like- because he has stated that he can not do so and I really do believe that he does not want to be done for by the time he is 25.

DrJules
11-23-2005, 07:33 PM

He is not afraid to step away from his comfort zone to improve himself and meet the chalenge head on.

Could not agree more.
:yeah: :yeah:

shotgun
11-23-2005, 07:36 PM

He may have a butt-ass ugly game but this is one thing I really and truly appreciate and admire about him. He is not afraid to step away from his comfort zone to improve himself and meet the chalenge head on.

He's following Coria's steps.

RonE
11-23-2005, 08:17 PM
He's following Coria's steps.

Only thing is, with all due respect to Coria I think he is better equiped to do well on the other surfaces as well as on clay.

Coria has no wins on TMS hardcourts/indoors with only 1 final appearance.

Rafa has 2 titles and 1 final appearance in those events on those surfaces so he has already surpassed him in that regard.

DrJules
11-23-2005, 08:23 PM
Only thing is, with all due respect to Coria I think he is better equiped to do well on the other surfaces as well as on clay.

Coria has no wins on TMS hardcourts/indoors with only 1 final appearance.

Rafa has 2 titles and 1 final appearance in those events on those surfaces so he has already surpassed him in that regard.

Rafael is also much younger and has more time to develop. He is after Roger's number one spot. :devil: and its looks like he might get it.

Think how many grand slams he might win in the next 15 years.

After all, according to Brad Gilbert, winning is what it is all about not beautiful tennis.

veyonce
11-24-2005, 06:18 AM
Here's some interesting stats....

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/matchfacts/default.asp

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/6086/atp8or.jpg

Galaxystorm
11-24-2005, 08:27 AM
Here's some interesting stats....

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/matchfacts/default.asp

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/6086/atp8or.jpg

If he played less on clay he woul have worse stats on returns stats.

By the way within some hours i suspect an old thread on Nadal is gonna receive posts again ;)

DrJules
11-24-2005, 08:33 AM
If he played less on clay he woul have worse stats on returns stats.

By the way within some hours i suspect an old thread on Nadal is gonna receive posts again ;)

Does anyone know where you can obtain surface by surface statistics.

almouchie
11-24-2005, 08:55 AM
he has show maturity & wisdom beyound his years.
he kow he may have played too much last year
but that is something he will take of care & plan properly to aviod exhaustion & overload & thus injuries
where can u find out about his schedule for 2006 & other players too

mallorn
11-26-2005, 10:40 AM
Rafa seems to be a quick learner. Apparently he has learned his lesson not only about scheduling but also about fitness and injuries. He has hired a new physio to take care of him and his diet (this is to be officially confirmed). Joan Antoni Martorell is the physiotherapist of Mallorca’s football team who worked with Carlos Moya in 2004. Yoly on VR.com translated an article from Diario de Mallorca here (http://vamosrafael.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=2174&start=60) .