Fed fans losing hope? Why? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Fed fans losing hope? Why?

Rafa = Fed Killa
11-21-2005, 10:22 PM
I can't understand some Fed fan's logic. He lost one match and you have to realize no streak can go on forever. Everyone loses finals. He isn't perfect no human is. Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky have all lost in their careers at some point and come right back. You should hold hope in your favourite. What will you guys and girls do when Fed becomes old and isn't that good. Will you just say he sucks and move on to greener pastures.
I hope not.

P.S. I am not a Fed fan but I believe some of the criticism of him after the loss was too harsh.

adee-gee
11-21-2005, 10:24 PM
:lol:

jole
11-21-2005, 10:26 PM
You lost points when you said "Y?".

shotgun
11-21-2005, 10:29 PM
You lost points when you said "Y?".

:lol:
I was going to post something like that! :yeah:

sigmagirl91
11-21-2005, 10:30 PM
I think I know why: Because it would have been considered an insult to lose to someone who a) didn't initially qualify for the tournament and b) isn't considered a big-match player. It shocked everyone to the core that David came through in such dramatic fashion, that a lot of Fed fans have decided to abandon ship (like losing to a player like David is supposed to be a disgrace, but I digress).

Skyward
11-21-2005, 10:38 PM
Thank you. There are too many Fed's topics, no? :lol:

Where's that person with a citrus username when you need her? Is Federer's forum closed? :lol:

DrJules
I think I know why: Because it would have been considered an insult to lose to someone who a) didn't initially qualify for the tournament and b) isn't considered a big-match player. It shocked everyone to the core that David came through in such dramatic fashion, that a lot of Fed fans have decided to abandon ship (like losing to a player like David is supposed to be a disgrace, but I digress).

I am sure that is not true; David has now defeated Roger at the Australian Open, US Open, a master series tournament and now the year end masters in recent years (trailing 4-6 in series with only 2 easy wins). So David is highly rated.

Purple Rainbow
Once a player is at the top of a game, he attracts many bandwagon hoppers. The true fans will always stick with their man. And seriously, losing one match is nothing to lose hope over! (though it would have been cool to equal McEnroe and surpass Muster! :p )

sigmagirl91
11-21-2005, 10:40 PM
I am sure that is not true; David has now defeated Roger at the Australian Open, US Open, a master series tournament and now the year end masters in recent years (trailing 4-6 in series with only 2 easy wins). So David is highly rated.

For many it was. I imagine that many posters were shocked that David could come back being two sets to love down (I included, considering how good Roger is in the clutch and how rare such an accomplishment would be). Heck, many were shocked that he, not Roger-and definitely not Ivan-emerged from the tournament THE WINNER!!!

DrJules
11-21-2005, 10:43 PM
Once a player is at the top of a game, he attracts many bandwagon hoppers. The true fans will always stick with their man. And seriously, losing one match is nothing to lose hope over! (though it would have been cool to equal McEnroe and surpass Muster! :p )

Federer fans are too obsessed with these silly records; I would have much preferred 2004 to be repeated with more grand slams and year end masters. Winning sequences and fewest losses are for quiz show questions. Titles are what count, particularly major titles, and week at number one.

Skyward
11-21-2005, 10:44 PM

Absolutely. Whenever Roger's playing David, I'm prepared for my fingernails funeral. ;)

Purple Rainbow
11-21-2005, 10:45 PM
Federer fans are too obsessed with these silly records; I would have much preferred 2004 to be repeated with more grand slams and year end masters. Winning sequences and fewest losses are for quiz show questions. Titles are what count, particularly major titles, and week at number one.

It's the "silly" stats that give some insight into how dominant a player really is and how his game measures up to those in the past.
There's more to tennis than Grand Slams, but there are many who appear to disagree.. :rolleyes:

Rafa = Fed Killa
11-21-2005, 10:46 PM
Changed Y? to Why? because some people had a problem with it. I wonder Y? ;)

prima donna
11-21-2005, 10:50 PM
I can only imagine the pressure Roger is feeling, because even as an advocate of his, I feel pressure for him to continue winning. It's not even fun being a fan of Roger at times, because you know that when he finally does lose ... everyone is going to say he's done, he's no sampras and blah blah blah. People expect for him to perform like a machine and when he misses one beat, bam. For instance, I only really concern myself with Roland Garros & Wimbledon for him next year, yet if Roger doesn't win all 4 slams or at worst, "only" wins Wimbledon, then the world will have come to an end and there will be people screaming "I told you so", Roger is a great person (originally why I became a fan of his, when he started his program helping children in South Africa, which was quite some years ago, before he even became big) and after that, he's the best tennis player ever to pick up a racquet.

The Swiss gentleman conducts him appropriately at all times and rises to all occasions, be it on or off the tennis court.

DrJules
11-21-2005, 10:50 PM
For many it was. I imagine that many posters were shocked that David could come back being two sets to love down (I included, considering how good Roger is in the clutch and how rare such an accomplishment would be). Heck, many were shocked that he, not Roger-and definitely not Ivan-emerged from the tournament THE WINNER!!!

I think David knew after 2 long sets that Roger's fitness was questionable as had been shown in matches earlier that week and that there was always a chance if he kept going. He had similar experience against Andy Murray at Wimbledon when he came back from 2 sets down against an exhausted opponent.

DrJules
11-21-2005, 10:55 PM
It's the "silly" stats that give some insight into how dominant a player really is and how his game measures up to those in the past.
There's more to tennis than Grand Slams, but there are many who appear to disagree.. :rolleyes:

People seem to judge Sampras on his grand slams and year end number 1's. His other statistics are not impressive. On statistics Ivan Lendl seems to do incredibly well but seems to be omitted from greatest ever discussions.

Purple Rainbow
11-21-2005, 11:00 PM
People seem to judge Sampras on his grand slams and year end number 1's. His other statistics are not impressive. On statistics Ivan Lendl seems to do incredibly well but seems to be omitted from greatest ever discussions.

Thank you! By bringing up Ivan Lendl you make an excellent case for the use of statistics to define how great a player is/was, rather than just looking at total number of slams won!

MissMoJo
11-21-2005, 11:22 PM
I take issue with your catagorizing Tourmalante as 'an average fed fan.'

sigmagirl91
11-21-2005, 11:34 PM
I take issue with your catagorizing Tourmalante as 'an average fed fan.'

You're right, he's not an average fan; he's not a fan at all.

TenHound
11-22-2005, 01:50 AM
I don't see any reason to either praise Nalb. or doubt Roger - apart from worrying about his legs. Nalb. happened to be there on the court when Roger's legs caved in. Not only in his words, were they extremely fatigued, but one leg "was killing him". Credit to RF for not withdrawing from the match at that point.

The person who looks Horrid by comparison is AR, who had a few back spasms & used that as an excuse to not even show.

Roger is lion-hearted, unlike little Namby Pamby AR.

Tourmalante
11-22-2005, 01:51 AM
You're right, he's not an average fan; he's not a fan at all.

At least make these statements about me when I am here to give a riposte you cowards. Mojo whatever girl is right about one thing. I am not an average federer fan. Average means stupid.

rofe
11-22-2005, 02:00 AM
I think the only guy who "lost hope" was Tourmalante but I don't even consider him a fan. Also, if you see his recent posts in his thread, he now comes across as a narcissistic little shit.

Anyway, I am just happy that Fed could muster enough inner strength to come back from 0-4 down against a red hot Nalbandian. That really inspired me. The match in general was well fought and that is what tennis is all about. The better player won that day plain and simple. Time to move on to the next tournament.

Scotso
11-22-2005, 02:04 AM
The people losing hope aren't Federer fans, they're fans of whoever happens to be winning.

lsy
11-22-2005, 02:04 AM
Who are the Fed fans losing hope? I don't read GM a lot these days, but just wonder and actually interested to know. That Tourmawhatever and who else for you to come to such conclusion :confused: ?

I don't see any in Rogi's forum had lost hope on him, quite the contrary I would say.

Art&Soul
11-22-2005, 02:18 AM
Er Um Do we have any reason to lose hope???? I don't see any except Tourmalante so don't say Fed fans losing hope, its just funny :) ROGI just lost one match and again there are so many threads about him. Its cool, isn't it? ;)

MissMoJo
11-22-2005, 02:21 AM
At least make these statements about me when I am hear to give a riposte you cowards. Mojo whatever girl is right about one thing. I am not an average federer fan. Average means stupid.
Yep. The quote in the thread starter's sig proves you're a genius

sigmagirl91
11-22-2005, 02:26 AM
At least make these statements about me when I am hear to give a riposte you cowards. Mojo whatever girl is right about one thing. I am not an average federer fan. Average means stupid.

Sure, when you're HERE to "HEAR" it.

Tourmalante
11-22-2005, 02:29 AM
Yep. The quote in the thread starter's sig proves you're a genius

Genius has long been known to be correlated with craziness, being bi-polar, and other associated psychological disorders.

Rafa = Fed Killa
11-22-2005, 03:21 AM
Changed my sig as other Fed fans are getting insulted.
Oh yeah I do think tour is a Fed fan or he wouldn't be so passionate.
Tour are you a Star Wars fan with the "Evil Empire" reference.

Seleshfan
11-22-2005, 03:25 AM
At least make these statements about me when I am here to give a riposte you cowards. Mojo whatever girl is right about one thing. I am not an average federer fan. Average means stupid.
And how would you expect them to reasonably 'know' which thread you're in? Secondly, why would you say that average means stupid? Isn't it pretty relative?

Rafa = Fed Killa
11-22-2005, 03:27 AM
Tour is saying the average Fed fan is blind and thinks Fed is perfect, which is stupid in that sense.

Tourmalante
11-22-2005, 03:35 AM
Changed my sig as other Fed fans are getting insulted.
Oh yeah I do think tour is a Fed fan or he wouldn't be so passionate.
Tour are you a Star Wars fan with the "Evil Empire" reference.

I am a huge Star Wars Fan, even though I was dissapointed by the prequels. Now I am more interested in the EU- all the books detailing events after Return of the Jedi, like Timothy Zahn's novels and such. And yeah that little bit is crazy because I was in a pyscho state with Roger so close to victory. But the I am a man bit was a comedic twist.

Rafa = Fed Killa
11-22-2005, 03:40 AM
I am a Star Wars fan too, liked Episode 3 , but bit dissapointed with 1 and 2.
Good to c u have a sense of humour.

mandoura
11-22-2005, 05:40 AM

Yes, absolutely :lol: .

Pea
11-22-2005, 07:15 AM
Did I miss something?

Whistleway
11-22-2005, 07:47 AM
Average means stupid.

Seriously kid, get off that damn high horse and think for yourself. You seem to top yourself in stupidity everytime you open your mouth.. hmph..

Whistleway
11-22-2005, 07:54 AM
Genius has long been known to be correlated with craziness, being bi-polar, and other associated psychological disorders.

Thankgod. For once, a part of your post makes sense.. you got a disorder alright..

Watcha trying to compensate, honey? Whatever it is, you aint got it ;)

Puschkin
11-22-2005, 08:52 AM
I have been a fan of tennis before Roger started playing and I will still watch it when he will have retired. I will always admire the way he plays the game, with body, mind and brain. Yes, I am a fan of his, but that does not make me blind to other players' achievements, like David's on Sunday which was utterly deserved. I have absolutely no reason to give up hope on Roger, nor to change my conviction that he will achieve many more great things in the years to come.

Mrs. B
11-22-2005, 11:02 AM
I have been a fan of tennis before Roger started playing and I will still watch it when he will have retired. I will always admire the way he plays the game, with body, mind and brain. Yes, I am a fan of his, but that does not make me blind to other players' achievements, like David's on Sunday which was utterly deserved. I have absolutely no reason to give up hope on Roger, nor to change my conviction that he will achieve many more great things in the years to come.

Amen. :worship:

sigmagirl91
11-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Tourmalante, your posts are insulting toward both Roger and David. Please grow up.

DrJules
11-22-2005, 01:16 PM

Could you please not insult other people on this posting board. Thank You.

Your saying the main body of Federer fans are stupid.

Sue
11-22-2005, 01:39 PM

Ahhh, Puschkin, the voice of reason. :-)