Nalby's Interview after the final [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nalby's Interview after the final

Viken01
11-20-2005, 07:47 PM
http://www.masters-cup.com/en/interviews/pdf/nalbandian8.pdf

but actually i wanted to share some part of it :

Q. Would you call Andy Roddick to say thanks because he gave you a chance to come to the Masters Cup?
DAVID NALBANDIAN: Yeah, I need to thank him. Because if it wasn't for him, I didn't be here.

-

Q. Any regret not to have gone fishing, and will you go fishing next week?
DAVID NALBANDIAN: No, I am going fishing, don't worry. I will go.
THE MODERATOR: Caught a big fish today.

-

Q. If someone said to you at the start of the year that you would win two five-set matches from two sets to love down against the --
DAVID NALBANDIAN: What is the other one?
Q. Against a British player at Wimbledon (laughter).
DAVID NALBANDIAN: Sorry. Sorry. Sorry. Sorry. Sorry (laughing).

:lol:

aceit
11-20-2005, 07:50 PM
He's got to be the happiest person in the world right now.

But what a stupid question about having regret not going fishing.

RickDaStick
11-20-2005, 07:54 PM
He's got to be the happiest person in the world right now.

But what a stupid question about having regret not going fishing.

Im sure it wasn't a serious question.

basil333
11-20-2005, 07:58 PM
Hey he loves fishing - thats a fact! - you know? like you like tennis? these guys we adore have hobbies too! :)

Rogiman
11-20-2005, 07:59 PM
So good to see him thrilled, congratulations Dave.

TennisLurker
11-20-2005, 08:32 PM
I didn't be here.

Isnt this "ebonics"?

TennisLurker
11-20-2005, 08:44 PM
Of course when we start playing, he start playing very good with almost no mistakes. I say "SHIT ,I need to play very good today"

--

And the second set was almost the same, a lot of set point for both, very close. And I say, "SHIT , I have to really fight now, two set down"

:D

jazz_girl
11-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Hey he loves fishing - thats a fact! - you know? like you like tennis? these guys we adore have hobbies too! :)
I was reading in Clarin that he got a little pissed at the journalists about asking him about fishing all the time, and he ended up saying: you do know I only like fishhing, right? I have other hobbies :lol:

mallorn
11-20-2005, 09:43 PM
I liked this answer: "I can't go home like this" (when asked what he was thinking as Fed was serving for the title) :)

Gigan
11-20-2005, 09:47 PM
Of course when we start playing, he start playing very good with almost no mistakes. I say "SHIT ,I need to play very good today"

--

And the second set was almost the same, a lot of set point for both, very close. And I say, "SHIT , I have to really fight now, two set down"

no, no, you're not only a clear idiot- pure shit too

silverwhite
11-21-2005, 12:01 AM

--

:haha:

I was going to quote that myself!

sigmagirl91
11-21-2005, 10:28 AM
Isnt this "ebonics"?

No.

Turkeyballs Paco
11-21-2005, 02:41 PM
:) :) :) Nalby, you rock!

shotgun
11-21-2005, 03:22 PM
I was reading in Clarin that he got a little pissed at the journalists about asking him about fishing all the time, and he ended up saying: you do know I only like fishhing, right? I have other hobbies :lol:

Typical bullshit said by journalists to break the ice during a press conference.

mandoura
11-21-2005, 03:27 PM
Grea interview. Nalby is very spontaneous and objective in his answers. Some answers showed how funny he is too. One cannot but like him. Well-deserved win Nalby. Go for it all next year.

avocadoe
11-21-2005, 03:28 PM
I can't dwon load the first page of the interview, could someone copy and past it here. I did read page 2-4...I'm glad he is happy. He played so very well...

Viken01
11-21-2005, 04:46 PM
D. Nalbandian – 20.11.05 1

D. NALBANDIAN/R. Federer
6-7, 6-7, 6-2, 6-1, 7-6

An interview with:
DAVID NALBANDIAN

THE MODERATOR: Good evening. Questions in English and Chinese for David, please.

Q. What do you think about the spectators today? Because in the middle of the final set, the spectators seemed to have emotions out of control a little bit. Do you think so? Were you mad of that?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Well, of course the people playing a very important game today. I was leading 4-0, and then he come back, he come back very good, and then the crowd was cheering so high.
I think they play a very important game today, but I keep focus. I didn't disconcentrate (sic) in the big moments. Is normal, no? He is the No. 1. Everybody is gonna cheer for him.
But I did it.

Q. Is this the best moment of your career, possibly of your life?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Well, of course. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I think it's more important the way that I win. It's really incredible, these kind of matches in the finals against the No. 1 of the world. He didn't lose many matches during the year. So it's really important.

Q. Having played so well for two sets, but to find yourself two sets to love down, how difficult was it at that moment to keep going and keep thinking you could win it?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Very tough. Both sets was very, very close. Some important points he had a little bit of lucky sometimes. The way that he win the first set, with the net. All that stuff, it's very tough to keep focused, keep going, believe that you can win.
And then the second set was almost the same, a lot of set point for both, very close. And I say, "Shit, I have to really fight now, two sets down." But I know that he wasn't hundred percent for the ankle, his preparation wasn't the perfect one. I feel in the beginning of the third when he play not so good, that I had my chance in there. I had to keep going, to keep fighting, and play the most important match that I do during the year.
I left everything on court.

Q. I think it's fair to say that in the past, perhaps in the bigger matches, you haven't played as well as you would have liked to have played. How important do you think this can be for your career and for your sort of self-esteem to win a major, major final like this in the style that you won it in today?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Very important. It's very, very important. When I play Lleyton Hewitt in the Wimbledon finals, I was 20 years old, different. I was a little bit nervous, and I couldn't play my best.
But today I think I play very good from the beginning. And then win like this, it's really incredible, the way. It's incredible. Of course, it makes me special feeling to win like this. Of course, for the next time, very important matches or big moments, I will be different on court.

Q. I have two questions. First, how do you feel about to be Roger Federer's fourth terminator this year?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Well, incredible. He didn't lose many matches during the year, so beat him here in the finals, I think he never lose a final for a long time ago. So it's make me feel very, very happy.

Q. My second question is, how do you evaluate this victory in your career? What history can make in the future?
THE MODERATOR: He already answered that question before.

:wavey:

napki
11-21-2005, 09:23 PM
Great interview.

Let's hope David will continue playing like that next year and we'll see him more often in the later stages of MS and GSs.
And maybe he'll also win some. :)

jazz_girl
11-21-2005, 10:21 PM
"If I'd lost the match I was gonna kill myself"
http://www.clarin.com/suplementos/e.../21/l-00615.htm

"I'm exhausted, the truth is I can't do anything else", says, and sighs, and pulls his hair back with his hands, like to take all the tensions off his body. It's 11:10pm in Shanghai and David Nalbandian, the Masters Champion, poses for Clarín in the door of his personal locker room.. His name, in Chinese, is next to the door that's about to open to have a shower, go to dinner and then take a flight".

"the people was all with Roger, did you see that? And that played a part in the match for him to come back after being 0-4 in the fifth" says while he remembered the unconditional support from the Chineses to the N°1 of the world who, with his usual kindness, put the people in his pocket since the moment he set foot on the city"

-Did you hear the yelling from the little Argentines there were, in the middle of so many Chineses cheering for Roger?
-Yes! yes, yes, yes. The truth is that there were a couple of Argentines who cheered for me at their whole for four and a half hours. Incredible. That helps. Being far from home and having people supporting you, it gives you strength, it's very good"

-And in those moments did you think something like "I can't fail them, I can't fail myself"? What were you thinking during the final with so many close points?
-Well, everything---Since the people, my family, my box, Argentine's people, in Cordoba, in Unquillo, everything.

"Now all are here", said when he got to the press conference. And yes, there was everyone. Chinese, French, Spanish, Italian, Argentines, German, Swiss, the first time in all week there was people on their feet because they ran out of chairs in the wide press conference room of the Qi Zhong stadium. "Oh, God", said, tired, leaning back in the chair before the questions started. A gesture, an identical expresion when he said "I'm exhausted". In the next room he's more relaxed. It's the first minutes of David graduated as a Master and he's in the center of everyone's requirements, of course, like the rules say.

-Well, at least now the Masters is over, no one will be asking you about fishing and sharks.
—Yes! Please, stop with that.

He was already bothered when he was constantly asked, for example, if he was left to conquer the biggest shark and those usual word games. The truth is that yesterday, in a moment, he said between laughs that "even now I still think of going fishing to the south like I had planned before the Masters"
-David, how would you define this final?
-It was an incredible match. Incredible with all words. There really are a few words to talk about a vicory like this. I was 2-0 down against the N°1 in the world, in a Masters final. I came back, I don't know how, then he did the same thing. No...it was incredible.

-Even in the first two sets everything was too even.
—I also had chances of winning it, they were even, they were defined by two points and well, it's not nice losing them and knowing that after that you'll have to keep on playing a few more hours. But I rescue a lot being very focused, not dropping my level ever and that made me win.

-You were 4-0 in the fifth and he came back and was 4-4. Then 6-5 30-0. Did you want to kill yourself?
—If I'd lost the match after all that, I was gonna kill myself...I couldn't go back home. But I didn't play that bad, I think. serving 4-0 and 30-0 he left me standing there in a return, with a backhand, then I made a mistake with a ball, then he throwns and amazing passing, with his backhand, he raised his level a lot. And that's why in that moment, what I was saying, people started playing a very important role, it started to get complicated, till in the 6-5 30-0 we were in the oven...And well, however I came back, I played well, got in a couple of important shots, and in the tie-break I also played well.

-Was it the happiest day?
-Yes, yes...The other day they were comparing the Wimbledon final in 2002 with this one. And at first I wanted to play this one...They're different moments, there are 3 years apart, I feel very happy today. I don't know if more or less than the other one, but I think the way the final went it has a different taste and it's enjoyed in other way. No...Now I'm living a unique moment and all this motivates me even more for what is coming, I'm just 23 years old and I have all the motivation to win important things.

-The Masters changed the balance of the year?
—No, no, it's pretty much the same, right? I think the year's balance is good, but regular in all the tournaments I play.

-You had big triumphs in your career but there was a big title lacking.
—Yes, of course. A tournament like this is very important, right? And I as always close to winning a big title, but I never made it, till today. I can't believe it yet. Anyway, obviously I want to win a Grand Slam. Now that's my goal for next year. I have to work hard but I have a lot of confidence.

-What are you gonna do with the Mercedes?
-We'll see, we'll see...