Nalbo used to own Feds... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nalbo used to own Feds...

vogus
11-20-2005, 04:57 PM
in that sense it's not surprising that he would be the one to put an end to Almighty Fed's big party. I actually thought he was going to do it in the USO quarterfinal.

I wonder if Nalbo got a thank you call from Johnny Mac...

Sjengster
11-20-2005, 05:31 PM
'Tis indeed a fitting irony, he was the last Argentine to beat Federer over two years ago at the US Open. But there's a reason why he used to own him and why he will always trouble him, the match-up is so evenly fought and hard to call. In fact, I would actually say Nalbandian is marginally the better player from the baseline in terms of his stroke production, it's just that Federer obviously has the better serve and perhaps a little more capacity for invention and variety.

RonE
11-20-2005, 05:35 PM
'Tis indeed a fitting irony, he was the last Argentine to beat Federer over two years ago at the US Open. But there's a reason why he used to own him and why he will always trouble him, the match-up is so evenly fought and hard to call. In fact, I would actually say Nalbandian is marginally the better player from the baseline in terms of his stroke production, it's just that Federer obviously has the better serve and perhaps a little more capacity for invention and variety.

That and also a stronger mind set at the critical points (a trait he did not have as recently as two years ago). This was evident in their RR encounter.

The fact that Roger managed to haul back from 0-4 down in the fifth set is also mainly attributable to David just missing one or two shots at crucial times and IMO should not have let Roger back into that set. But that is the nature of the beast.

Their next encounter should be very interesting especially if they meet in Australia where they had a swinging see-sawing match with breaks flying back and forth in 2004.

Sjengster
11-20-2005, 05:41 PM
It was surprising that Nalbandian didn't seem to fatigue too much the longer the match went, which is a testament to his improved fitness, but I think it showed that his groundstroke-based game is more suited to a lengthy match than Federer's, just because the latter really needs his cheap points and winning serves and they were in short supply right at the end of the fifth set. And hey, if there's one player who could carve out a 4-0 final set lead, dump his serve twice in a row and then lose it again for the third time in four attempts, and still have enough confidence in his returning ability to get back into the match... you know who it is.