So, did Nalby's win over Feds make or break this year's MC for you? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

So, did Nalby's win over Feds make or break this year's MC for you?

Tennis Fool
11-20-2005, 03:27 PM
Discuss :cool:

Flibbertigibbet
11-20-2005, 03:28 PM
Break, I guess, but now that I think about it, I'm happy for Nalbandian.

rofe
11-20-2005, 03:28 PM
Define make or break - I live in a grey world.

Scotso
11-20-2005, 03:31 PM
Make.

sigmagirl91
11-20-2005, 03:32 PM
Make. It was nice to see someone else win. The usual suspects were named as possible winners, but....it just so happened someone who wasn't supposed to be there, won it. I think it adds to the intrigue.

lau
11-20-2005, 03:33 PM
Great, great final for a bizarre MC, no matter who the champ is ;) :) (It matters to me :woohoo: ...., but what really counts is this amazing final )

adee-gee
11-20-2005, 03:34 PM
It was still a poor tournament, but it was nice to see Bandy get the title.

propi
11-20-2005, 03:37 PM
It was the best that can happen :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Even if the whole tournament was (sorry I don't know the expersions in English) una pachanga o un partido de solteros contra casados :rolleyes::angel::p

Lee
11-20-2005, 03:39 PM
The championship was in a mess on the first day, really doesn't matter who win the title.

As a tennis fan, I'm happy someone other than Federer and Nadal won a title.

Sjengster
11-20-2005, 03:47 PM
The result breaks the MC for me. The match makes it. So, a fairly even split. I like to think that it's done tennis as a whole a lot of good with the way the Chinese fans got into it, although I have a sneaking suspicion that the tournament organisers wanted Federer to close it out the end and produce the ideal script to end the whole event. In its own way this is still a very good finale for them, the surprise value of the no. 1 being upset after so many victories.

Tennis Fool
11-20-2005, 03:49 PM
Define make or break - I live in a grey world.
Did Nalbandian's win:

1) Cap off a great MC for you
2) Improve a less than great MC
3) Break what was a great MC
4) Make worse what was already an awful MC

Tennis Fool
11-20-2005, 03:53 PM
It was the best that can happen :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Even if the whole tournament was (sorry I don't know the expersions in English) una pachanga o un partido de solteros contra casados :rolleyes::angel::p
You mean the English expressions or term ;)

Yeah, it was an injury-ravaged tournament.

rofe
11-20-2005, 03:54 PM
Did Nalbandian's win:

1) Cap off a great MC for you
2) Improve a less than great MC
3) Break what was a great MC
4) Make worse what was already an awful MC

1 and 2 except that I am disappointed that Roger lost.

Tennis Fool
11-20-2005, 03:57 PM
1 and 2 except that I am disappointed that Roger lost.
So the tournament was great and not great at the same time :confused:

rofe
11-20-2005, 04:01 PM
So the tournament was great and not great at the same time :confused:

Yes it is possible in a grey world filled with human irrationality. Logic is severely limiting when emotion is involved.

I am happy that the TMC lived up to its potential in the finals due to the hard fought match between two good players ( I like Nalby too) but I am unhappy that Roger lost. I don't see a paradox here.

Flibbertigibbet
11-20-2005, 04:03 PM
I agree with rofe as well. It was good to see that it was a nice, long, quality match to improve the 'status' of this year's Masters, but naturally, I wish the result had been a bit different.

silverwhite
11-20-2005, 04:07 PM
MADE :D

TennisGrandSlam
11-20-2005, 04:45 PM
TMC 2005 title is very important to Nalby

Since losing to Hewitt in Wimbledon in 2002, he has not any masterpiece (usually losing all TMS), now he proves that he is one of the ATP Masters.

Gabrielp
11-20-2005, 05:42 PM
Make

aceit
11-20-2005, 05:43 PM
Make. Though I would have been happy with Roger winning as well.

Carito_90
11-20-2005, 05:45 PM
Make, baby! ;)

RonE
11-20-2005, 05:49 PM
Neither make nor break. I was pretty apathetic to the whole event from the start, even with Federer playing again.

I am very happy David finally won a big title (long overdue) and just hope to see them playing again in 2005 with them and the rest of the field being healthy and providing us with some more scinitlating competitive tennis.

Sparko1030
11-20-2005, 06:04 PM
Make. This Masters has been a bit of a rollercoaster for me with Rafa's ingury and then one of my favs, Gonzalez, coming in at the last minute and then losing a heartbreaker but Nalbandian winning is great just because it was unexpected (no offense David fans-just Roger is always the one to beat). Anyway I think this unexpected win is great for tennis. Just to shake up the status quo if nothing else.

name_change
11-20-2005, 06:09 PM
totally made it!when andre and rafa withdrew i banked everything on david and he didn't disappoint!

prima donna
11-20-2005, 06:19 PM
Roger shouldn't even have shown up for this event, I believe he had his Mother Lynette there watching him too. She was forced to watch him basically throw in the towel for 2 sets and fight back, then lose. Someone should have done something about this, Nalbandian did not even qualify. I don't care how good people say that he played this match, even if the atp was forced to call in the same Umpire from the 2004 Venus Williams fiasco at Wimbledon, they should not have allowed Nalbandian to leave that court with anything other than a runner-up trophy. Just when I thought the fix was in or the ATP had some common deceny, a nightmare like this happens. Thinking back to the Connors/Agassi matches in NYC - Nalbandian is a punk, Roger is a legend. Something like this should never occur, the unpleasant snarl of the Argentine is enough to keep me from watching tennis for quite some time.

The Swiss gentleman originally from Basel, conducts himself with class and has a personality that is undeniable, while David is simply the tennis god's way of showing that he has a sense of humor.

MariaV
11-20-2005, 06:24 PM
BROKE :sad: :tears: :bigcry: :sobbing:

Rogiman
11-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Neither, although it's hard not to feel happy for David, who defeated the only 4 different legitimate qualifiers to the tournament.

Now, I hope he will now live up to his reputation as a talented top player, and start attending SF's and finals of TMS's and Slams consistently, and not lose to all those players that don't even deserve to stand on the same court with him, otherwise this doesn't mean shit.

Nalbandian plays spectacular tennis, which I can only say about 4 or 5 players right now, so it's always good when this kind of player wins.

lucashg
11-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Broke whatever was left of it.

Federer back in action made me see it, to be honest. I was annoyed by all those withdrawals, so Fed and Coria were my last hopes of entertaining clashes, so I only followed their matches. I enjoyed Federer vs Ljubicic, Federer vs Nalbandian, Nalbandian vs Coria and Nalbandian vs Ljubicic.

It was clear to me that after the SF, Federer would have to step up big time to win the final, but I trusted his mental toughness and ability to raise his level of play during difficult times to win a possibly hard-fought match as it progressed to be. It was not the case.

I didn't see the whole match, when I began to see Roger was getting spanked from all over the court by Nalbandian, so I can't say it was all that entertaining because Fed was obviously unable to play well. Even his comeback in the 5th, I relate more to his fighting spirit and a sudden passive Nalbandian with nerves than him raising his game.

Tough loss for Roger. He really deserved to have all those records going, but if you review this tournament there was no better player to win than Nalbandian. I'm happy for him, but it still broke it for me.

Tennis Fool
11-20-2005, 06:29 PM
BROKE :sad: :tears: :bigcry: :sobbing:
:hug:

World Beater
11-20-2005, 06:30 PM
the match quality was good but not great...the quality of the 3rd and 4th was ok. david was playing great...roger was i guess on the beach somewhere.

I wanted this final match for roger...to extend his streaks and to have a historic season.- not that it isnt still. But nalby could have beaten him any other time and i wouldnt care too much, even if it was a final.

but am happy nalby won, but not with the way it was won....i havent seen the 5th set...but if roger threw in errors @ 6-5, it wouldnt be the first time. I started a thread sometime ago talking about his match closing problems even if he does finally win the match.

yanchr
11-20-2005, 06:38 PM
I was just back from the stadium. Witnessing everything happening with my own eyes, I just have to say, Nalbandian did a great job today. He deserved the victory despite Roger was not quite himself so obviously.

But in a way, being objective, not as a huge Roger fan, I have to say, Roger also deserved the trophy, with everything he did to save this tournament, almost single-handedly supporting the tournament til the very end. In this sense, the result is not so fair to him, with regards to the incredible efforts he made with the fans, the organizers, the sponsors...everybody involved in this tournament. He did everything he could, never said no, but had to leave without the most important thing...But it's just how life is.

Black Adam
11-20-2005, 07:13 PM
The Final was my favorite Match.........it's good to see David cut some cheese again :yeah:
It would be good if Nalby could do better in the slams :yeah:

missbungle
11-21-2005, 05:53 AM
It totally made it for me!!!

drf716
11-21-2005, 06:14 AM
as i've always felt, anyone who beats federer has a place in my heart.

Aphex
11-21-2005, 06:36 AM
Totally made my tennis year. Now I can watch tennis next year as well. There is still hope. :D

Federerthebest
11-21-2005, 06:42 AM
Broke. Federer did not have to play this tournament - a couple of weeks ago he was on crutches, for gods sakes - but he did it for the fans and singlehandedly carried this tournament. Because he did this selfless act, he lost all his hard-earned records. This is very upsetting, the only consolation is that now it will be harder for him to lose his no.1 title.

Turkeyballs Paco
11-21-2005, 02:57 PM
even though I lost $1000 vcash on Federer losing this match :rolleyes:, I was very happy with the final. I'm glad a few other guys got to play there, because the same group all the time gets boring, especially when you know exactly what to expect. I love the unexpected, and this final was definitely unexpected! :yeah:

Julio1974
11-21-2005, 03:00 PM
Totally made it. It was one of the happiest tennistic week of my life...

Deea
11-21-2005, 03:04 PM
Totally MAKE!!! David did a wonderful job at this Masters! :yeah:

Neely
11-21-2005, 03:09 PM
Clearly make. An 'underdog' won this tournament and destroyed the fairytale many people wanted to happen by Federer winning the tournament for the third consecutive time in a glorious, #1-worthy, magnificant, legendary and incredible way by coming back in the fifth set, by equalling, breaking or holding alive this and that record streak some people were counting all day long. But this day, Nalbandian didn't allow it to happen. Federer won enough big titles of all kind in the past, I don't begrudge Nalbandian for his first(!) big title on big stage. Hardly better things could have happened than to spread around some success. Granted, not all players do possess the game to trouble Federer, but I hope more capable players will take this as a motivating example to rattle at Federer's throne in future as well and to make it less one-sided to end tennis monarchy.

ExpectedWinner
11-21-2005, 03:27 PM
The topic is boring. Too many predictable answers.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
11-21-2005, 03:41 PM
You guys should get used to this:kiss: